On Saturday, I introduced you to the beautiful pink pig above. Just look at those eyelashes! They are on a pig that is actually a BBQ cooker...
This contest is part of the Florida State Championship, and over 30,000 people attend with well over a hundred teams in several divisions, including Pro Teams, Backyard Teams, and Children's Teams. If it's okay with Susan, I'm going to start inside at the judges station and work my way out. Here is my friend Ilse, doing a good job in trying to get the judges rounded up and organized...
Some of our judges dressed with just a pop of pink...
Or were a little more daring, sporting pink pig necklaces and fun hats (note to Ms. Hare, this couple have rescued greyhounds!)...
Some even founded Lakeland's Christmas Parade and then went on to become civic leaders in the community...
And all were excited about their assignment, "Go forth and judge!" My partner is in the blue jacket, and she's a veritable Miss Congeniality which made it nice when you are there to welcome people and judge them on the basis of hospitality...
Several of us were judges on Saturday night for the Pro Teams, and in the process of walking around that division, look who we spied...
Recognize him? Okay, I admit, it's kind of blurry. My camera decided to act up on me, and I was kind of short to be getting a good picture from this vantage point, but take a close look at this one...
Anyone familiar with the Naked Chef? If you are, then you must know Jamie Oliver from the Food Network. That would be our man here and also our celebrity guest! Jamie was not naked, but he was definitely a chef and was busy cooking up the most fantastic chocolate cake! Actually, the term "Naked Chef' refers to great food that is presented simply. Also a cookbook and a television program.
I missed my fifteen minutes of fame from not being at Jamie's talk that was featured on the Food Network (which, being camera shy, I didn't mind one bit), but some of my friends might well be featured. I can't wait to see them! :-) I was busy judging contestants while my friends were listening to him. When we took these pictures, Jamie Oliver was racing around his mobile kitchen, and this cake was barely there before he snatched it up and dashed across the street to another building for a shoot, camera crew in his wake. Poor guy, that night, he was more like the Racing Chef...
We visited for a bit with some of his assistants -- one from London, England (the girl in the black lace dress) and one from Edinburgh, Scotland (the girl in the white blouse and apron) -- and they were so cordial. Then we got a picture of the three female staffers along with the guy who is Jamie's photographer. I bet the photographer is not used to being on the other end of a camera, but he handled it well...
And here were some of the pots and pans Jamie used in preparing that chocolate cake. Oh, how I wanted to lick the bowl and that spatula, but I behaved and didn't embarrass myself (or you) in that way...
My camera was really being naughty, and the other pictures I got that night were these. On the way over to the VIP Party (as a judge, you got to go to this), we spotted things like this pig...
And this crazy display...
This shot was at the VIP Party where people were having a good time. Check out Alina's hat...
The band for that evening was the Atlanta Rhythm Section, and they were hoppin' good. I took this shot from the side of the stage and behind the barricades of the VIP area. Out in front were huge crowds of Pig Fest attendees...
Next day, I donned my pink pig cap...
And went down that afternoon to help count Pig Bucks...
I'll introduce you to the president of the Pig Fest Board who happens to be Addie's mom, Cece (you saw her in her dress up clothes last week as she's who got the birthday present with the pink ribbons). Poor Cece had a phone glued to her ear for days on end...
And here's Cece and a friend in the Pig Buck "Counting House" counting out the money...
And some more "Counting House" volunteers. This was serious business in this room, folks. Concentration was key...
And here's one of the ladies who co-chaired the Jr. League Pig Fest Committee that wo-manned the event with volunteers. She must have been exhausted, but she was also happy...
And here's a handful of the multitude of volunteers that made this event happen, still smiling though it's late in the day...

Even at five o'clock, people were still buying Pig Bucks and hanging out at on the stadium grounds. I took this shot from waaaaaaay in the back corner as the crowd had started to move forward toward the stage area for the presentation of the trophies...
Once the crowd thinned out, I could get in and get some other shots, like this one of a pro team's past trophies...
Or these shots of piggies...
Or this one of a team sign...
Would you look at that blue, blue Florida sky! As I mentioned before, we had absolute Chamber of Commerce weather. It was a little chilly, but the sun was shining brightly overhead while the temps were pleasant. Everyone seemed to have fun!
And here's a past Pig Fest Chairman (I directed her wedding years ago) and the city's coordinator who is invaluable...
Gina is on a family team that was competing in the Backyard Division. She's sporting a pretty pink apron and one of those fancy pig necklaces, too...
And among the guests were these cute munchkins, sitting on a curb enjoying ice cream cones in January. Imagine that!
And these two sweetie-pies in their tandem stroller...
And just as I got ready to take a picture of this bad little, sweet little pooch (check out his shirt), a pig-tailed pink angel toddled over and bent down to give him a kiss (and my camera jammed the moment she did)...
Check this out... see that foot in the picture above? That foot belongs to the pink angel's mom who has on her FLIP-FLOPS! Did I not tell you that you know it's winter in Florida when people go to Publix in their flip-flops and socks! And she doesn't even have on her socks! Maybe she's from Canada. That's what we always say when people can brave the cold in the Atlantic or the Gulf. Those folks are intrepid! I had dinner with someone from there tonight, and we discussed this very thing. I was shivering in flannel, while she was in a cotton blouse. ;-)
And there were other well mannered pooches like this handsome boxer...
These sweet as can be labs...
This prissy little yorkie...
And this smart little dachsund who stole not only my heart, but had everyone in line gowing awwwwwwww...
Hey, little fella, what do you think about these...
And look, here are the blue ribbon trophies...
"I'll tell you what I think," says Oscar, says he,"I think the real winner here is the community, particularly its children."
"It's they who stand to benefit most from all of these people's largesse of heart! And hey, now that I've answered your question, I've been standing on my hind legs forever, so how about giving me a treat! Maybe a ribsickle or better yet, a pig ear!" ;-)
Oscar's dad opted to buy him some ice cream instead.
And that, my friend, is a wrap! Pig Fest brought home the bacon again this year. Congratulations to the Jr. League of Greater Lakeland, the Pig Fest Board, and all of the volunteers including Girls, Inc., and those from the city of Lakeland on a job well done! Hats off to the sponsors and teams, too, for without them, this event would not be possible!
That's it for my Outdoor Wednesday offering. Thank you so much for visiting. I look forward to visiting you at your blog, too. And for more Outdoor Wednesday goodness from the other participants, please go to Susan's blog, A Southern Daydreamer, by clicking here. You'll be so happy you did!

Quintessentially,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)
P.S. It just dawned on me... out of all of the pictures I got, I didn't get any of the actual FOOD other than the ice cream cones and the chocolate cake! What on earth does that say??? LOL! Pat, I hope you're not too disappointed. ;-)
56 comments:
Hey Sheila...Looks like the Pig Fest was a big success!! Yeah...where are the pics of BBQ...my favorite?? Now I'll have to run down to the local rib shack to get me some BBQ!!! lol Have a great evening...Debbie
Happy Outdoor Wednesday Sheila!
It looks like such a fun time....and you are right...WHERE are the barbecue shots? (I lovvvvvvvvvve good barbecue!)
I would have pigged out (definitely)
Thanks for sharing your photos!
Susan
Sheila, What a fun event. And to have Jamie Oliver there. What a honor. Everyone looks like they were having a great time. I'll just imagine a big pulled pork sandwich, yummy!!
Hugs, Terrie
Wow Sheila, this looks like a lot of fun! Here in Texas we have a hard time finding pulled pork. I remember my grandmother sending us Sug's BBQ from Mississippi when my dad had the audacity to move us to Indiana, she just knew we would die without it lol. And Jamie Oliver, WOW, how cool is that. Great post, Kathy
PS - the ribsicle sign cracks me up
Sheila, Looks like you had a great Pig Fest! And..everyone had lots of fun! Super pics! ;-) ~CC Catherine (Thanks for all your sweet comments you've left lately)
wow, I feel like I was there myself. Love the pink BBQ. I just saw one just like it at a Home and Garden Show. So cute.
Happy Wednesday.
Kathy b
First of all, I love your new blog layout! Great choice!
Second, THANKS for checking in on me. It's been a very difficult time here lately and your comments have meant ALOT!
WOW! What a great post! Looks like a lot of FUN time had at the Pig Fest! Thanks for sharing such great pictures with us!
Sheila I've never been to such a fab pig fest. You sure have a great team. I would have like to see some of the food as long as it wasn't one of those real spinning pig on a stick kind of thing YUK.
Did you get to taste Oliver's cake? I hope so.
Lucky girl
Happy OW
Love Claudie
xo
That looks like a party that I hate I missed! Love the pig pig cooker!
What fun...nothing like a good pig fest...and jamie OLIVER...My daughter loves jamie oliver...and I loved those pig necklaces everyone had one..you must have had a wonderful time...
Oh Sheila, what a treat to visit here and to hear Roy and Dale singing "Happy Trails." Now, your pig fest was a Big Deal! What a great BBQ you had. Loved all the photos. Just wish I'd had a little bite. LOL
Blessings, Lana
"but I behaved" - lol. I wish that I could have gone to Pig Fest Sheila, but it was nice being there vicariously through your fun post =) I also like your pig baseball cap and the light-up pig!
How fun! Heck, the newspaper should hire you for your coverage of the event, because it was excellent! Let me just say again that I am jealous of your lovely climate. Eat some BBQ for me today :)
Wow...what a fun day full of BBQ!
-sandy toe
Love the pink pigs. Just too cute!!
I will have to check on Confederate Jasmine. Does it stay green or die back in the winter?
Love the eyelashesof the pig, and Jamie Oliver ...
have a nice day !
Wow! What a day! Full of fun things. I really enjoyed reading through it and seeing the pictures. You make it come alive. Ok, I heard over at Jane's that you have an army guarding the blue rolling thingies??? Ok, maybe I will just have to tell Stella and see if she can slither through the army while Helmi distracts them with some kind of crazy dance. So crazy she somehow gets them dancing too!
Thanks for the nice recap of the Pig Fest.
I join everyone in line going awwwwwwww... over that dachshund.
Sheila~
The Pig Fest is right up my alley...I love BBQ! I grew up eating it and I never stopped...I love vinegar based BBQ more than anything! Yummy!
I have to say that the way you write a post just makes everything come to life...I felt as though I was right there in the mix of things! What a fun time it sounds like everyone had!
I'm a bit disappointed that Tim McGraw wasn't the "surprise guest"...NOW, those are some pictures I wouldn't mind seeing! LOL! Have a good one, my friend!♥
It looks like a great time was had by all at the Pig Fest!!! What fun!
Oh, that pig is so funny, I do like pigs.
Thank you for you comment in my blog. It was very nice.
ALfazema
I think I glimpsed an Old English D in the bunch. Less than nine weeks to Opening Day and I can't wait! I have to come see my boys again at Spring Training and remember what warm weather feels like. Tigers and some BBQ together would make these zero degree days of the off-season almost tolerable! Ellen
i was waiting for some lipsmackin photos of juicy bbq but it's probably for the best since i'm on a diet and all. loved the dog shots.
i think you should have gone up to the window of the "naked chef", knocked, smiled and waved! it is so fun to be a goofy fan.
thanks for visiting me. you gave me a good laugh with your monster-chasing line!
have a good one.
Chasity
LOVE the pig!!! :-D
Oh what fun Sheila! I recognized Jamie Oliver in the first shot. I love watching him cook. When we were in London we found his teaching restaurant and ate there. Before I die I'd love to go to something like this and just pork my way through...
Morning girl...what a great event! I love BBQ and it looked like a great turn out for all that hard work & planning! Thanks for the Birthday wishes you little Sweet Toot! lol Hope you are having a great week!
Shelia,
Whew, my bath almost overflowed while perusing your fabulous pictures! LOL
It looks as if it were a great success and very well attended. How fun to be part of this each year.
I picked up on several new things I did not know about you...wedding coordinator? Impressive.
I looked back at the hat you wore, after seeing a lovely lady in one... and then saw others also sporting the fine pink head gear...;-)lol Where are YOU fair lady?
I hope it was a super success in Pig Bucks for the charities.
Our son made pulled pork sandwiches for the Super Bowl game. The four years they spent in Memphis made him a believer in the BBQ's of the south! yes, all
the sauce came from the south. :-)
Wonderful pictures. I have enjoyed the Naked Chef on the Food Network and TV and I bet the cake was delish.
Thanks for sharing these awesome pictures of beautiful people, oh and the great outdoors:-)
♥HUGS♥
Oh what fun Shelia! We don't have any thing like that in my part of town at this time of year. Thank you for taking me along. I always enjoy reading your posts :>)
I really like your new blog look too. Very nice. I hope you have a great day.
What a fun and interesting post this is Ms. Magpie! It looks like everyone was enjoying themselves. Love those photos of the kids. Isn't people watching just the greatest thing?
That black lab looks a lot like my buddy Tonka! He'd be all over something like this. During the summer around here you can't go anywhere without coming across a "pig pickin'" somewhere or other. But I don't recall anything on this scale!
Sheila,
Looks like you all has a great time....Great photo...Love the Pig barq. grill. LOL...Great photos....Thanks for sharing....Love the litte dachuand too! I have relative who live in Redmond, Wa....when they come down here in the winter...they wear short sleeve and I'm in my sweat..Lol..sometime they wears SHORT! Oh My! LOL Happy Outdoor Wednesday to YOU! I enjoyed it! Katherinellen
Oh my, what a great time was obviously had by all. Love the photos. I especially love the pink cap and shirts. We watch the food channel quite a bit. Lots of times I will go into the family room late at night after spending some time in the bedroom on the computer and Hubby will be watching Jamie Oliver. I think he has seen them all but watches them again especially when the diners are featured.
Charlotte
hi sheila,
that looks like so much fun! and oh my goodness, jamie oliver, too! i love him. did you not get a piece of his chocolate cake? too funny about all your pics not one of them involving food.
I really enjoyed this post. Just looking at your pictures and reading your description made me feel like I was actually there. The Pig Fest sounds to have been a wonderful event and a great success.
Jamie Oliver has a new TV show over here persuading us to 'get pork back on our fork' and it was strange to see him pop up on your blog in sunny Florida.
Best Wishes
Lindsay
Hi Sheila! Wow, it looks like you had such a good time! How fun to see the Chef Jamie & his folks, too! So much to do, so much to eat - the sign for ribsicles also made me laugh. :) Thanks for sharing all your great photos with us~ Hugs~~
Hi Sheila, looks like the Pig Fest was a super huge success... This just looked like a barrel of fun to attend. There must have been thousands there. Is this an annual event?? I know you ate good by the looks of things. what fun.. thanks for sharing.. I'm glad you swung by for a visit..only wish it was truly warm enough out there to be enjoying the yard today. I hope the sun is shining on you my friend.. hugs ~lynne~
Hi Sheila
That looks like a really fun event! I love BBQ
Hugs, Rhondi
Hey Shelia, I was wondering where the BBQ was? I bet it went as fast as it was made, us southerners love our BBQ!!! Looks like you all have a very tight community,thats what it is all about.
I know that you all were tired, but it was a very good tired.
Sue
Where's the beef? I would love this event and seeing Jamie.
As the weather turns cold the goldfish stop eating and go to the bottom of the pond. If it does warm up they will come to the surface but will not eat goldfish food. They move very slow. When spring comes and the days stay warm they will start to eat again. You can tell they want their food. That's when I usually find a new baby in the pond.
I'll have to tell my fish story sometime. All my friends laugh at me when I tell it.
Hi!
Awesome photos! You all look like your having a wonderful time! Love all those pigs! Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening!
Sherrie
Now that look's like a lot of fun. My parents used to raise hogs and I even showed them at our county fair, so I guess I could fit in well! Cindy
Good Evening, Ladies! I have been on the road today, and when I got to my destination, I read all of your comments. Thank you for taking the time to drop by... it's appreciated SO much! I always enjoy reading what you have to say.
Looks like a lot of folks know Jamie Oliver, and now that I saw him cook (sort of), I'm going to keep a close eye out for him on the Food Network! I had heard about his pork promotion in England (Lindsay, I think you mentioned this), and I assume that Pig Fest might have had something to do with that! I wish I could have taken all of you there with me because it was as much fun people and dog-watching as it was seeing the food. And the croweds were so big, I really couldn't get good shots of the food. Friday night my camera was giving me fits so I was blessed to get the few shots I did. But next year, I will get BBQ shots. LOL!
Again, thanks for visiting. We are trying to get ready for some major cold weather tonight and tomorrow, so I will make some quick rounds and go to bed early. Then I go to a store dedication at 6:30 AM! More on that at a later date.
Sending love and best wishes your way...
XO,
Sheila
Hi Sheila...I apologize for the comment about the pig on a platter I had on my blog...heehee! What a great event and so many volunteers to help pull it off...I laughed at the "Bite Me Barbeque" sign...
;-) Bo
Oh yum! Wish we could have come! How cool is it that the Naked chef was there? Enjoyed all the pictures!
Thanks so much, ladies!
Bo -- LOL! No problemo. And I laughed at that same sign... what's even funnier is I think that's a friend's husband standing under the sign... but I'm not sure. It looks a lot like him, but what is he doing under that sign??? :-)
K & K -- It was cool to see him in action, and he is one fast chef! That cake looked delicious, too! :-)
Thanks for dropping by to visit... my hands are so cold I can barely type. Is this Florida???
XO,
Sheila :-)
Thanks for showing us around the BBQ. Everything looks like it was fantastic. Jamie Oliver is such a delight.
I do have a small request. Please activate smell-a-blog, so we can share in what I would imagine were delicious smells of the food.
Looks like you had a wonderful time. How cool to see the Naked Chef! I loved the piggy bbq grill.
Hi Shelia. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. We love BBQ in the south. The pics look great. I love all the little doggies.
I adored the pink pig that lights up. Anything that lights up gets my attention. I can't imagine pigs wearing sun glasses. Noticed Pink Pig cap, dogs and more dogs, what a fun day that Pig Fest must have been.
Joyce
Hi there -- Lisa, Jemm, Olive Rue, and Joyce! Thank you, ladies, for your visits and your comments. I enjoyed reading all of them! I hope all of you are not as cold as I am this very second. Floridians are helpless babies when it comes to the cold! :-)
Hoping you all have a great evening and are warm and safe...
XO,
Mrs. Magpie (Shivering Sheila)
Hi Sweet Sheilaness! Oh, what lovely pigness you've shown. Seems like pigness make folks so happy! I love it!
Thank you dear one for your continued visits to see me. I will be back posting on Friday!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
It's my pleasure, Shelia, and I am so happy you are feeling better! You just made my night!
XO,
Sheila :-)
This surely sets a whole new presedence for OW Sheila!!! Great pictures, great people, great food and all those precious little piggies, kiddies, doggies, pinky thingies and hotties (well, just one, Mr. Oliver himself. Sorry Mr. Magpie, you are shrouded in secrecy from the camera lens as well as your wife!).
What fun! Wish I had been there! (You have to catch the whineyness (?) in my voice).
Great, great post you fun lovin' gal! Wait until I have you tag along with me this summer to the annual Cass County Cooking Contest,at one of the many fests we have up in REAL pork county, Michigan!!
xoxo
Jane
What a beautiful post Sheila, I felt as if I was there and got a real sense of the occasion, even got really excited to see your "Guest of Honour" was none other than a fellow Londoner "Nekkid Jamie" haha. loved all of the pinkness and the munchkins and pets photos, adorable. have a wonderful weekend. KAthy.
Jamie Oliver! I love his recipes and I borrow his cookbooks from the library all the time!
This was fun to read, Sheila! What a fabulous event! The trophies are hilarious.
Hugs, Pat
Hi there... Janie, Kathy, and Pat! This really was fun, and I was pretty excited to see Jamie, the "nekkid" chef as Kathy so lovingly called him. LOL! It was fun. Wish you all could have been there, too! Janie, Mr. Magpie didn't get to go, and if he had, his picture would have been in there, too... though he hates to have his picture made. And Pat, that room was truly wall to wall trophies with pigs on top! ;-)
Big Hugs!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Post a Comment