Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Bag Lady: Naughty or Nice?




This little "crabby" lady has lived in our St. Augustine guest room since I received her as a gift some fifteen years ago.

When I saw the following Christmas bag, I knew that it was the perfect compliment for her.

Note that the bag contains the choice, "Naughty or Nice", and judging from my little friend's expression, I believe I checked off the appropriate adjective. What do you think?




In addition to our bag lady, this little goat cart has lived with us for years and traditionally finds itself filled with gifts during the Christmas season...




Knowing full well that Santa has trouble on our steep, tin roof, I wasn't one bit surprised when a red "sleigh" appeared in front of our house with an elf in a red jacket. He left a bag of Rock Salt in the goat cart in preparation for Santa's annual visit!



In addition to the bag of rock salt, the elf, knowing that I am a bit of a bag lady myself, left some other bags on this little wooden dolley/wheel barrow in front of the tree...



Since The Munchkins and Company were coming for Christmas, the elves left a toy bag for good boys and girls...



Along with this Coal Company bag for the "naughty" ones on the list...



There was also a bag of feed for Santa's reindeer since Florida is an espeically looooong, highly populated state, and the reindeer get hungry pulling that jolly fat man, his sleigh, and all his loot! ;-)



Here is a close up shot of the rock salt bag whose print didn't like being outside, even on a covered porch! That fact aside, the good thing about these bags is that they are recyclable. They make cute gift wraps or decorations, and similar ones can be found on etsy. These were a real hit with our crowd of old and young alike and had a good price point for the punch of personality they added!



And speaking of our crowd, we had a nice dinner the day after Christmas last year at The Columbia. This is the patio which is a fun place to dine, summer or winter. I can't find the pictures we took, so I borrowed this one from the restaurant's website...



Later that night, we went on a carriage ride...



This was the horse that was kind enough to pull our carriage...



And you can tell from this blurry shot that someone was VERY excited!



Here we go!



Hang on tight, everyone...



As we enjoy the Nights of Lights!



Pretty, isn't it?



The whole downtown is covered in what appear to be millions of white fairy lights...



And St. Augustine's lights have been voted one of the best light displays in the WORLD!



Go us!



For a small town, that's HUGE. :-)



We actually paid the carriage driver to drop us off at our door (we are on the carriage route).

We then went inside and opened stockings that always include English Christmas Crackers that always include paper crowns.



We were so tired we decided that while we would open stockings that night, the mountain of gifts needed to wait till the next day to be opened!



While these little takeout boxes aren't exactly bags, they made an excellent presentation for fragile items. I included "chopsticks" in the form of Christmas pencils and varied the bows to distinguish to whom the presents belonged. I found these takeout boxes in the Christmas foodie aisle at Hobby Lobby last year. I can't remember where I found the Santa box, but he was especially sturdy for fragile items...



Among the Christmas gifts was this German nutcracker dressed in Gator colors for Bill, Adelaide's husband and the grandfather to our godchildren. The little Mini-Me even had a grey beard and grey hair to match Bill's! Can you tell that he loved it???



Among Addie's presents was... you guessed it... a Lily Pulitzer flamingo BAG that says, "Birds of a feather shop together!" She got a kick out of it, but I think she got a bigger kick out of her grandfather playing with his nutcracker. I love it when grownups act like kids at Christmas!



Mr. Magpie who is an art lover got this oil painting for his office...



While I got this British shopping bag...



Filled with this cute pillow AND the Downton Abbey series. Yes, I was apparently very, VERY nice! ;-)



Not to be outdone, Mr. Magpie received this bit of Americana...



An Uncle Sam bank with a money bag all his own into which pennies disappear as if by magic!

Funny thing is, the pennies are nearly impossible to retrieve...



While Uncle Sam appears to be laughing, and laughing rather diabolically at that!



Art imitating life, perchance??? ;-)

On that note, I will end by saying that I will be sharing Christmas posts each week including "Sock It To Me" and "Christmas Cuteness". It has been a long time since we have spent Christmas in St. Augustine, and we really enjoyed it last year. So I will be sharing more of that celebration with you. The fun thing about this house is that it's old and quirky, near the sea, and amenable to using nautical decorations and whimsy, both. In a sometimes colorless and cheerless world, this old house is anything but!



Thank you so much for visiting me today, and I look forward to visiting you in return. I'm sorry that my visiting was sporadic at best the last week or so, but I was out of town and had trouble getting online and staying online to visit. Then when I returned, I wasn't feeling well. That's over, and now, I'm back in business and will be joining my friend Sally for Blue Monday. Hope you'll join us there as well by clicking HERE.



Quintessentially,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

PS... It appears I accidentally republished my last post when I went into it to copy the Blue Monday Logo. Sorry about that! I don't know how that happened, but I want to apologize if you get two posts from me tonight! xoxoxo

39 comments:

xinex said...

Oh how fun, Sheila! We did those things the last time we went to St Augustine, ride a carriage and ate at Columbia. I love your "naughty or nice" lady, such a cute vignette! I will be in FL for 10 days, if you're ever in the Fort Myers area, let me know....Christine

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy Blue Monday, Sheila! I like your very beautiful blue house.

I love all the pretty bags you displayed on this post. They make wonderful wrappings and gifts. I also loved the pretty gifts you gave and received. I finally caught up on all of the past Downton Abbey shows and I look forward to the new season coming soon!

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better! Enjoy decorating for this Christmas season!

Jeannie Marie said...

I'm now looking forward to a trip to St Augustine during the Christmas Season! What a wonderful Christmas you and your family had! Thank you for sharing it!

Lynn said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas last year Sheila! Love the nutcracker and got a good chuckle about Uncle Sam holding on to the coins:@)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your naughty or nice lady is adorable. The carriage ride in St. Augustine sounds like a very memorable occasion and dinner afterwards is the perfect way to end the event. Fun post Sheila. Looks like you are definitely in the Christmas spirit.
Sam

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOOD MORNING SHEILA!

How lovely to see you here, the lights, the bright and happy faces. Isn't this a fun time of year? I was telling my husband that this year, I want to go to the Childrens' hospital downtown to brighten up the kids' faces. But I fear I'd cry...it just hurts to see them in pain. Let there be light and love in your home and festivities, and thank you so much for coming to visit! Anita

SmilingSally said...

Morning Sheila,

It's good to see you playing again.

I like your blue house and all the blues inside.

Have a good Blue Monday.

Terri D said...

What fun to be able to share your Christmas past!! I've been fortunate to have visited your lovely home in St. Augustine, Sheila. It is everything you say, and more. The charm oozes throughout. It's so good to have you back, and so good that you are feeling well again!! Love & hugs!!

BECKY said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :)

Grace said...

Can I tell you how I allways love visiting your blog!! What beautiful fun family photos filled with love. I am so happy that you are back. You share so much with us and I allways enjoy your comments. Welcome Home! Grace xoox

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh my goodness, what a great post Sheila!
Oh would I ever love to see the lights in ST. Augustine.
And what a great post with the cute bags and gifts, the sharing and caring of Christmas.
Love it!
Cindy

The Charm of Home said...

Thanks for sharing the St. Augustine lights! They are beautiful! I have never been there at Christmas.
Sherry

Linda @ A La Carte said...

It is so fun to see last year's Christmas celebration! I love it all! I always love to see your blogs my friend!
hugs,
Linda

Art and Sand said...

The carriage ride, the lights, the memories.

I am finally in Christmas mode and ready to decorate today despite the fact that yesterday it was 80 degrees and the beach was littered with families in bathing suits.

jeanne, backyard neighbor said...

Hi Sheila, I love this post and the wonderful memories you shared today. Since I have visited you in your wonderful charming St. Augustine home I can appreciate your photos all the more. It is wonderful to see you blogging again. I admit I have to be reminded when you post so I was so happy to see your comment today. I do not post every day anymore but I will keep on blogging always. Visiting time is limited so forgive me if I have missed any of your posts recently. It seems we are constantly running the roads these days. We love to be active though so I visit when I can.

Love and hugs,
Jeanne

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Everything was so lovely - all the details make it such fun to read your blog.

Chatty Crone said...

Your naughty or nice lady is adorable - so girl are you naughty or nice? The carriage ride in St. Augustine sounds like a very Wonderful thing to do - we rode one once in St, Augustine, but it was like a ghost ride! Sheila you look like you are ready for Christmas! spirit.
Sandie

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Sheila,
St. Augustine is just beautiful! How lovely to take a carriage around such a place. I would love to see it in person all lit up. Your post was so filled with fun and it was a pleasure to read. The goat cart is cute and you have a charming home! Thanks so much for sharing this with us and for stopping by. Lovely to hear from you!

Blessings,
Sandi

Jenny said...

Hello!

You have such cool stuff!

You are such a cool person!

I'm glad to see your lovelies!

Unknown said...

How fun looking back - I never remember to take pictures LOL Hope your holidays are merry!

Dixie said...

Sheila
Thank you for visiting me in French Lique... I read and post so seldom these days... It's always nice to get a comment from a beloved blogger friend. Wishing you holidays filled with love, family and friends! Hugs. Dixie

nannykim said...

It looks like such a cool place to be at Christmas time. I love places that go all out with the lights. I had to laugh at the nutcracker that matched the man!

The foodie packages where so pretty and I haven't seen ones like that; I do not go out to the stores very much!

I will look forward to seeking how your month goes along. Oh and I like the naughty dolly---it reminds me of some of my kids and grandkids who love to make facial expressions just for the fun of it.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Sheila
No wonder St Augustine has been voted one of the best light show in the world, it's pretty spectacular!
Love all your bags and Christmas boxes!
Wren x

Unknown said...

I prefer witty for that crabby lady ;)
HBM!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Sheila, I love your charming, beautiful, wonderful house in St. Augustine. I have always wanted to visit the city and now do even more so, especially at Christmas time. What fun to take a carriage ride and view all those magical lights.

Cindy said...

Hello dearest Sheila,
I love your St. Augustine house! What a beautiful exterior it has and from what I could see of the interior it is really gorgeous.
I love your stripes in the living room. And what lovely thoughtful gifts you as well as the rest received.
Loved seeing them! I am very glad that you are feeling better, and are at home again.:)
Hugs, cindy

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Magpie -

Got room for one more? This makes me want to spend Christmas with you and see St. Augustine's lights and your cute house decked out.

Adrienne

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I love that "naughty or nice" lady, and have since Mary Engelbreit first created her. I think I tend toward the naughty, myself. ;-)

bj said...

That "lady" is just adorable.
Happiest Christmas, bj

Debbie said...

So late to the party, but I had good reason. (Actually not "good". I lost a friend this week after a very sudden cancer diagnosis just three weeks ago. I'm still trying to regain my footing.)

Loved all of your pictures, and now I want to visit St. Augustine for Christmas some time. It's a favorite city of ours, you might recall.

Anonymous said...

that goat cart is so so adorable and just perfect for gifts!! Love your house and I loved this post! So much fun to read Sheila. Hope your Thanksgiving was fabulous!! xoxo

Sarah said...

Sheila, such fun to see this post of Christmas in St. Augustine. Wish I could be there during the season to see the lights. It is magical!
Cuteness abounds at your house. Looking forward to seeing more. I'm just home again, so will hopefully start on my Christmas decorations this weekend. Better as time is flying by………Hugs ~ Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila! Oh, your town looks wonderful all decked out for Christmas. Love your little crabby gal and her tiny little bag. I can believe how grown up 'little doll' is now! Love all the Christmas snaps too. I know you're always 'nice'! :) I've lost your email address.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Claudia said...

Lovely post, Sheila! The bags are lovely and the crabby lady (Mary Englebreit, I think) is right up my alley!

xo
Claudia

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Sheila, LOVE that crabby lady! She must make all your overnight guests smile. Bet you're a wonderful hostess!

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest Christmas decorations and bags, I love them.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Shelia~Okay so I've got a story...when we were visiting my son & his lil' family for Thanksgiving my DIL said she wanted to take me to their local craft store. That sounded fun in itself but then she said we were going to Hobby Lobby!!! I gasped and said that's the Mothership of all craft shops. We went and I was overwhelmed by all it's splendor!!! While we were checking out I spied a goat cart (in the rafters) almost identical to yours. Thinking it was just a display piece I wasn't going to ask the clerk if it was for sale. But I did and she said yes it was for sale. Unfortunately I have no way to bring it home by train, but hopefully I'll navigate a plan to haul me home a goat cart like yours in the future. I'm pretty determined.

I'm a bag lady as well. They make such a nice presentation for gift giving. Your Santa/Reindeer bags are so fun.
The Uncle Sam bank is such a wonderfully unique gift. I've always gravitated to those types of whimsical antique items.
I've always wanted to take a carriage ride in winter.

I've no doubt you're working steadily on this years Christmas. decor.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

If that goat cart were to appear under my tree, I would be nice into perpetuity. :-)

I love, love, LOVE that oil painting! It's just my style. And don't even get me started about Uncle Sam. Y'all are some good gift givers!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

So many wonderful seasonal touches at your house, Sheila! Love that cart! And seeing the lights in your home town was a nice surprise...makes me want to head your way! Hugs...Debbie