Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

An Octopus' Garden



Is one of my favorite Beatle songs...



It always makes me smile when I think about it...





And I like to imagine myself...




Having tea with an octopus...





Iced tea, of corse, in the depths of the sea...





Makes you wonder what they do down there all day long...




In their octopus' garden...




In the depths...




Of the beautiful blue ocean...




So I thought in honor of the Beatles and their octopus...






That you'd enjoy a cuppa...




And some goodies with me and mine...




How about it?




I simply could not resist...




These friendly Octopi...




Being a sucker for all things nautical...




They're so cute...




Waving with multiple tentacles...




And playing hide and seek...




And peeping up from their bowls...




As they hang out...




In their own version of a garden...




Beneath the sea...




Would you care for a starfish cookie?




They're a wee bit crunchy...




And salty...




But the Octopi think they're swell...




No pun intended...





Well, maybe not much of one...




Or if starfish aren't on your diet...




Maybe some seaweed cakes...




Would be more to your liking...



Or would you prefer...




Just floating around in the deep?




That's always a good bet!




I think the sea is the most magical place on earth...




From the waves...




To the creatures...




To the colors...




To the caves...




It is a world...




I would love...




To explore...




More fully...




The water is my happy place...




And always has been...




Hap...




Hap...




Happy...




I'm even a little envious...




Of Mr. Octopus...




In his garden...




In the sea...




I wonder if he sits at a little table...




With a scallop shell teacup in each tentacle...




And a conch shell chapeau on his head...




Under a striped umbrella...




In his little blue heaven...




Just a thought or two from me to you... Cheers to Mr.Octopus and his sea garden!




Speaking of which, ahoy there! :-)




From your long lost sea mate!




Who has been adrift in the sea of life far, far too long!




I thought I would jump back into the blog waters today and join my friends Kathleen for The Farewell To Summer Tablescape Challenge HERE and Susan for Tablescape Thursday HERE.





But before I do let me just say I didn't plan to be gone this long, but I had LOTS going on here behind the scenes, like the busiest spring I have ever had (some tablescapes to share from that)...





And I was injured again, but thankfully I'm getting my sea legs under me...





And I have some fun news (a big surprise) and reports forthcoming in a future post, and this promises lots of girly pinks and such...





 In the mean time, I will be happy to visit you.  Thank you for your concern when I went MIA and for sending up the signal flares and radioing for the Coast Guard. It helped. :-)


Fondly,


Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)





Accoutrements:



Octopus Bowls: Mudpie



Pinwheel Plates and Green Chargers: Target (years ago)
 


Red Plates: Mikasa



Blue and White Plates: Country Living Collection from K-Mart on Clearance (years ago)



Solid Blue Plate: Marshall's ( several years ago)



White Salad Plates: Wedgwood



Red and White Salad Plates: Ralph Lauren




Mugs and Glasses (Marshall's years ago)





Napkins and napkin rings: (vintage from when the dinosaurs roamed the earth!)



Bamboo-Handled Spoon: Beall's of Florida




Quilt from K-Mart (clearance), Red Lantern from Pier One (purchased several years ago), and Shells from Tom's Seashells on A1A on Anastasia Island just before the turn off to the beach road!



Octopus' Garden: My Favorite Song by The Beatles



51 comments:

Grace said...

Oh my goodness we have both been missing in action! It was so nice to see your comment on my blog. I actually missed this blog world. lol What a fabulous post I love the Octopus and the children looked happy with the setting also! What fun Lots of Hugs to you my dear Grace xoox

Eddie Bluelights said...

Sheila - jumping up and down with excitement. You are back!!!!!
So please.
Loved your post about the Octopus - lots of fun.

I am a grandfather now to a little chap called Peter, 10 months.

I've done a post about him . . .

Hugs ~ Eddie x

Chatty Crone said...

YEAH YOU ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Octopus and I loved your table setting - some of us have it and some don't. You do and I don't!

LOL

Stay here with us now.

xinex said...

What a beautiful table, Sheila. I love that octopus bowl and I love all the colors you used on the table. Your god daughter is getting bigger and so pretty...Christine

Sarah said...

Sheila, I'm soooooooo happy to see your post. You are alive and well!!! Can't believe it's been just about a year since we met. Wish you were going to be in Nice for this year's meeting.
Your table is adorable and so is your assistant.
We need to catch up with an email or two. I think my emails to you must have gone missing. I've had some computer issues of late.

Lynn said...

Cute little bowls Sheila! Nice to see you back and it sounds like you've been busy:@)

Blondie's Journal said...

Hello Matie! I was so happy to see you pop up on my blog and what a "signature Sheila" post this is! Love it! And love the song! And love the Octopus bowls!

I am so sorry to hear that you've been dealt another few physical blows. We are getting older and creakier by the minute, right? I know I am. But you sound like you are in a great frame of mind and very happy!

I am looking forward to hearing about your surprise/good/happy/news! :)

Sending a big hug and much love!

Jane xx

Tea in Texas said...

Just so cute! The precious poem is wonderful with darling octopus bowls. The blue and white stripe plates adds the perfect colors of the ocean. I like your touch of the quilt as the tablecloth. Have a great week!

Pam

thepaintedapron.com said...

Too much fun! The mudpie octopus bowls are so fabulous they do deserve a song!
Jenna

Brenda Pruitt said...

So many colorful pretties!
Brenda

Candy S said...

I love the octopus bowls. This is a beautiful and colorful table. The song lyrics were perfect for the presentation of all of your beautiful pictures. Everything looks wonderful, perfect for Kathleen's challenge.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

So cute- love how you tied the Beatles song in with the octopus bowls- those are so cute!

Unknown said...

What gorgeous plates you have! That octy goes with so many things...never would have thought so. Your quilt is beautiful, too.

Cranberry Morning said...

Ah Sheila, what a fun and colorful tablescape. Here it is 10:30PM and I'm hearing the Beatles in my head. Lol I'm so glad you've launched out into Blogland once again. Sweet assistant you have there!!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Good to see you back, Sheila, and I am totally crushing on that little octopus bowl. I am all about coastal tablescapes this summer, and I do love that.

Neabear said...

Of all days to come and check out blogger and I find a delightful post from you! Loved all the colorful pictures!

Linnea

Unknown said...

What a fun whimsical send off to summer this table is SO CUTE LOVE love the octopus plates so unique.Susie

Debbie said...

Welcome Home!!! Yes, it's a homecoming. Blogland is a home in so many ways, don't you think?

I have looked at my sideboard so many times recently and wondered where some of my favorite bloggers had gone. In fact, when my mother, sister, and I were playing with the dishes for our table this week, we mentioned you specifically. And then...THERE you were!

I love this very happy little table and every detail in it. It's perfect for the end of the summer challenge, and just fun in general.


And I think I know what your surprise is, but I'll just be patient and wait to see...

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

That is a sweet table setting, all you need is some ocean mist and sand between the toes. Now I wont get that little diddy out of my head.
Hope all is good with you and yours. GOD keep you safe.

Anonymous said...

Love it...the octopus dishes are wonderful!

Jacqueline said...

So glad to see you back! I heard you fell again, so sorry about that!
I love your little octopus and song. I sang it the whole way through. What a fun way to celebrate the end of summer, so sad to see it end as we have had rain all August!
Can't wait to hear your fun pink news!

bj said...

WOW...there's a lot of great photos of a great end of summer table here.
Glad to see you back, Sheila

Susan Freeman said...

It's good to hear from you once again my dear old friend! So many charming elements to this table ~ the quilt, cute octopus plates, the wicker trimmed glasses, the gingham and the flatware too. Charming and fun! Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How fun to hear from you, Sheila! I love your tablescape...especially the octopus bowls! Sorry you were injured, but happy to know all if well now! have a wonderful holiday weekend!...hugs...Debbie

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Helloooooo!!! Oh....a farewell to summer table never looked so happy :) love the quilt you used for the tablecloth! Thank you so so much for stopping over to say hello Shelia! Glad to see you back!!
love,
Karla & Karrie

The Charm of Home said...

Hi Shelia it is so nice to hear from you again! I am sorry your under the weather. I hope all is well soon! Your octopus is quite adorable there in your tablescape. I can't understand why time is passing so quickly. The children are all growing up and the year has just flown. I remember going to school after labor day when I was a kid. You always went to school in September. I can't wait for fall it will be beautiful! Ready to bake some apples! Got a 10 lb. bag this am.
Hugs,
Sherry

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Welcome back Sheila. It was such fun to see your post today and glad to hear you're feeling better. Your tablescapes are always so pretty and cheerful.

It's so hot here today I would love to be in the cool sea. During the summer we used to sit under our dock in the islands and let our feet dangle in the cool clear water and cool off from the heat while watching the waves crash into the ocean.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I nearly fainted when I saw a post from the Magpie herself.

Welcome home. You've really been missed. Sorry to hear you've been injured again but glad to see you at all. I needed a dose of your cheer today and that table does it. Like Santa you always deliver.

Cheers,

Adrienne

Parsimonious DƩcor Darling said...

So glad you are back!! You've been missed. :)
I hope your recovery went well! Thank you for sharing...this is too cute! My kiddos and I love this song (albeit the Muppets version, lol). Thank you for making me smile today! :)

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

How cUTE! The quilt is the perfect background. A FUN table!!!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm so happy to see you back - I'm clapping all my 8 octopus hands.

And the table settings are wonderful - how clever to put the photos with the lyrics. I adore the gingham napkin rings and napkins - and the gingham cup. I'm absolutely nuts for gingham. The table cloth quilt is perfect and each plate with the cute octopus bow is perfection.

I am amazed that you remember where you got them all - I forget almost the next week.

Everything is so fabulous - just perfect for the end of summer. What a lot of work you went to, it is fabulous!!!!

Charlotte said...

Just adorable...I love the quilt and the Octopus plate is so cute...

Anonymous said...

Girl you do know how to have fun! I sure would love to party with you! Have missed you and glad you're back and hopefully all mended. So happy when you pop over. I bet your summer has passed by as fast as mine has here in Va. Thinking about Christmas...good grief~ xo

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Hi Sheila,

I enjoyed your fun post and your darling "Octopus Garden." :) Those octopus bowls are so cute, and I love the red lantern and the glasses. You've put together a very cheerful table! I chuckled when I saw your granddaughter(?) holding the plush Squidward from Sponge Bob Squarepants. :-D It feels like yesterday that we were watching and laughing at that show with our son, and now he's 24 years old.

Thanks so much for your visit and have a great day!

Hugs,

Denise

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

How sweet, I love your challenge table & the sweet octopus. Wow, so many fun photos.

Marigene said...

What a fun table, Sheila. The octopi bowls are adorable!
Pretty quilt, too.
Have a wonderful weekend.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love the quilt, the table and your assistant is adorable! Thank you for your visit and I hope to visit you again.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

SHEILA! WOW, to see you again, it is wonderful! Welcome back, and what fun! I love that song, and the wonder of playing. As I look at the sea motif, I am a little sad that August is closing up our summer wonder of sea shells and aqua blue pools....I'm back in the classroom this week and it's been great to meet my new students but I'm so tired! God bless you dear Sheila, and you are so kind to visit !!!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I've always liked that Beatles Song! Very fitting for this post. Cute little bowls!

Martha said...

How clever and how pretty!

Art and Sand said...

love . . . love . . . love . . . the lyrics, the dishes and that quilt!

Welcome back!!

Rettabug said...

What a FUN, FUN tablescape, Sheila!! I kept wanting to push the plates aside, so I could get a better look as the quilt/tablecloth though. A wedding ring pattern! Not easy to do!

I'm sorry to hear about you falling again. Do you have a drinking problem??? *wink* JK

Hope you're back up & running at warp speed real soon.
Hugs,
Rett

The Quintessential Magpie said...

LOL. You are a hoot, Rett!

If only it were that simple! Argh!

Believe it or not, my hand was re-fractured... Wait for it...in church! Did you know that church can be dangerous? Well, I didn't either, but a young lady who was a musician and had played in a production involving violinists and flutists and such had a handshake like a vise grip or vice grip 'cause it was truly evil. I actually felt it go crack. It started swelling immediately. Me thinks she was running on adrenalin from her performance. Plus her mom is a personal trainer. Ladies should NOT shake hands! ;-)

Then the other occurred when our power company was sitting outside our house with a Diesel engine running and a flashing yellow light going round and round and round and round and round till I decided to get up and ask him to move since he was only doing paperwork and was not fixing anything. I was tired, took a misstep, and WHAMO! Body met floor. I looked at the ground and said, "We've got to stop meeting like this!" ;-)

I think maybe the flashing light created a strobe effect, but the truth is, I was tired and sort of favoring my right knee out of habit from the previous fall. Mr. Magpie tries to blame it on my progressive lenses, but no, I just lost my balance and wiped out. Sort of ridiculous for someone who took dancing for years, was a water skier, and took great pride in walking the TOP of my swing set like a balance beam as a child!

xoxoxo

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Cute post to celebrate the end of summer!!!
Hugs,
Lin

Poppy said...

Welcome back to blogland, my friend, we've missed your happy and colourful tablescapes, sweet and nostalgic narratives, and your thoughtful visits! I sang all the way to the last pic, and so enjoyed seeing this nod to the marine days of summer! Looking forward to hearing all about your surprises, but until then, wishing you a very happy weekend!

xo
Poppy

Jeanne said...

Hi Shelia, Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my last two posts. This will make you laugh. I was reading my butterfly post and the last line where butterflies might be angels made me laugh. I was just about to delete it when I saw your comment. I do not believe it at all. I guess I didn't read the copied paragraph well enough.I deleted that last line.

Your post is just darling as always. Your table settings are always a delight. I love the octopus dishes so much. The quilt table cover works perfect with the total look. I know you had so much fun placing everything brilliantly on your table. It feels wonderful to be visiting you Sheila.

Have a wonderful week.
Love, Jeanne

Gypsy Heart said...

So glad you're back!! Love all the dishes and your Octopus tale. :) I so hope you're feeling better and that you have a great holiday weekend!

xo
Pat

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Sheila! So good to see you sharing again. I'd like to be in an octopus garden too. :) LOVE the dishes.
Have a lovely Labor Day.
xoxo's

SmilingSally said...

Hi Sheila,

Hooray! You're back! You know that I missed you a bunch!

I can just see you snap, snapping away with your toys (plates, chargers, dinnerware). You sure had fun with this post.

Love ya,
Sally

sweetbriardreams said...

Love this post, I was singing along as I was reading! Thanks for your visits to my blog and so glad you enjoyed your virtual tour of London with me! Have a great week xx

Jim said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I had to come back and look at some more of your posts. :)