Greetings of the Season!
Which, coincidentally, is my favorite season of the year.
And though this year's celebration has seen our activities curtailed somewhat due to my need for rest and recuperation and Mr. Magpie's hectic work schedule...
It did not curb our enthusiasm for Christmas. No, indeed, it did not.
Just as the lack of snow in Florida doesn't curtail my love for snowmen...
And all things snow-related...
They are all part of the wonder, the color that is Christmas which is why I love the season so!
It's a season where those of us who are no longer young in age, can easily find excuses to indulge our inner child with reckless abandon! I mean, come on... is there any other way to do it? Nay, I think not. ;-)
It is the one time of the year I allow myself to sing (outside of the shower) with gusto, whether in church or locked out of my car at the gas pump!
Yes, indeed, it happened. Right across the street from the Police Station. And it was raining cats and dogs, too.
But I?
I was singing!
"O, Come All Ye Faithful" and any hymn I could think of to serenade the gas pumping hordes.
Were they enthusiastic?
Well, let's just put it this way, "You've Got Talent" has not come knocking, but that doesn't mean they won't!
Ever the optimist, here. ;-)
Oh, how I love Christmas and the hub-bub surrounding it! From shopping for other people (which took place mostly online this year)...
To searching high and low for the things I think they will enjoy...
To finding just the right gift wrap to match the gift or the giftee...
From decking the halls like the Little Drummer Boy and friends did here...
To decking the walls...
To simply decking our hearts with what is important sans the glitz and the glitter, which is exactly what we did this year...
I give thanks for all!
I also give thanks for you. You put much of the "joie" in my joie de vivre! So in honor of you, my blogging buddies, a slight revision of a special poem:
'Twas the night before Christmas,
And all thru the town,
The revelers were shopping and running around,
The Magpies were happy,
All snug in their beds,
As visions of Christmas danced 'round in their heads.
On presents,
On turkey,
On gravy,
And dressing,
From
Takeout
to
Pigout
to
Hallmark
to
Blessings
to
Calls from the family
to
Calls from the friends
to
Parties we made
and
to
Others, amends.
'Tis the season
of
Peace,
'Tis the season
of
Joy,
'Tis the season
of
Thanks
for
The life
of
The Boy!
And we also give thanks
For the new little ones
Whom the Lord brought to stoke
Many future years' fun.
And we're thankful for memories
of
Christmases past,
For loved ones long gone,
but
of
Love that will last...
Through the ages,
And seasons,
Through the days of our lives,
And the laughter
And smiles
That sweet memory revives.
Just as quick as a wink,
The day might be gone,
But the true joy of Christmas
Renews with each dawn!
-- by Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)
(With my sincere apologies to Clement Clarke Moore for altering his masterpiece!)
Wishing all the blessings of the season to each and every one of you. As an Anglican (actually a Presbypalian with my parents being the "Presby" part and my husband, the "alian"), our twelve days of Christmas begins on Christmas Day and ends with the Feast of Epiphany in January which represents the day when the Wisemen came to visit the Christ Child with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. That is fine with this little magpie who wishes the spirit of Christmas could go on all year. I do my best to make sure that happens.
Well, maybe with one notable exception.
TRUE CONFESSION TIME: Shameful as this is to confess, like George Washington and my first grade self who told on myself that I had crawled under the work table with the boys when they got caught and I didn't, I cannot tell a lie. Yes, I (Mrs. Magpie) actually rendered a "salute" to the grinch who honked obnoxiously (laying on the horn), scared me half to death, and nearly ran me down in my sleigh as I, who had the right of way, attempted to turn left to rendezvous with the good folks at the takeout counter at Cracker Barrel! You know, a friend who is a minister says the "Spirit of Slap" comes over each of us from time to time. I guess the trick is to resist it. But while we can't all be perfect like Mr. Magpie is, we do try!
Love to each and every one of you and to all a "Good Night"!
xoxox
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)





.jpg)







.jpg)












25 comments:
Always love your posts, Sheila! The table in the fist pic is do pretty! What is Christmas without song!?? Love that you let your whimsy run free! This is the perfect time of year to do so! All the best for you and your family, warm wishes and a lovely 2015!
Always, always a delight to see a post form Mrs. Magpie. I miss your darling sense of whimsy and humor. ;-)
Hope this means you are on the mend and feeling much better for Christmas. I do like your Christmas spirit, even if you faltered in the traffic situation. ;-)
Love to you and Mr. Magpie. I wish you well! ~ Sarah
Merry Christmas to you Mrs. Magpie -
You always make me smile.
Adrienne
So glad to see you here - I was just heading to bed. You did have a nice Christmas there girl. Love your decorations in your home.
Hope you area feeling good and over the shingles - but rest.
Merry Christmas!
Oh what a delightful post, Sheila, and so nice to see you. I love your poem alteration. Thank you for your greetings to Reese. Love your casual Winter Greetings plates too. I know you had a wonderful Christmas, hope the New Year brings you lots of happiness, love, peace and health....Christine
So wonderful to see you again - you are always cheering and cheerful. We have lots of fun during the holidays too - but ours are over now. We start early - putting up the tree on Dec.11 - because our youngest daughter was born on that day. I worked all day, so many years ago (she just turned 45) to get the tree up before the baby arrived and then promptly went to the hospital and there she was, quick as a wink - the finest christmas present ever. So with putting up the tree so early we are well done with all our "hootin' and hollerin" (and pretending it is singing) by christmas day - and we start clearing out. I took down the teddy bear tree today and gathered the masses of decorations from the other rooms onto the dining room table to be packed up in their tubs tomorrow. Then the big tree comes down and I spend a week scrubbing and cleaning and washing so the house is sparkly and clean and ready for the new year. This has been one of our best christmases - family and friends and happiness and silliness and great big fat jingle bells on evergreen wreaths.
I love all your critters and all their happenings - and your poem is wonderful - that is a great talent. Happy celebrations - happy new year - happy everything!
Lovin' that cute tea pot Sheila! Glad to hear you had a nice Christmas and I wish you a happy and healthy 2015:@)
SHEILA! Good morning to you! I too have to confess of saluting once in a while to drivers who cut me off! teeeehee.....YIKES! Well, I also ponder on the gracious love of God to have sent His beloved son for a lot such as every single one of us. It has been such a joyful time, even though it's just me and the Mr. for Christmas. I truly believe in the clichéed but very true phrase that "Christmas is in the heart." It sure is.
Thank you for coming to visit! I wish you a fabulous new year and one filled with constant celebration of CHRIST! Anita
Everything you do is with panache and always delightfully cheerful Sheila. Hope to see more blogging from you in the coming year.
Sam
Merry Christmas, Sheila. I am glad to see your Christmas spirit is alive and well. Some years just call for tweaks to our celebrations.
I am so loving those snowmen ornaments. They are darlings.
I may or may not have given a few salutes in my driving outings this past year. It always cracks me up and makes me confess pretty quick especially when I'm saluting while listening to my Christian music station singing praise songs. What's wrong with that picture? :)
Glad you enjoy and keep the joy of Christmas going! Hope you are all better...
Sheila, Your poetry sings to me, the words are so joyous, ringing with truth, telling of the feelings of love and thankfulness in this holiday season. What a wondrous gift the world was given. How thankful I am to believe. Wishing you and yours a joyful, healthy, and happy New Year! ..... Candy
You make me smile! :)))) Your Christmas decorations and your super poem...so love it, my creative girl!
I'm so hoping you are truly on the mend...I worry about you and I hope this is good sign! Also, we are hoping to get to the South this spring/summer...perhaps Florida?
Love to you and the mister!
Jane xx
There's lots of Christmas spirit and joy here! Best wishes for a wonderful 2015!
I love your happy post on the best of days! I had to laugh though at the 'non slip salt', especially while I sit here recuperating after doing a comedy sketch fall on the ice this morning. Sore back and banging head - time for spring I feel :-) Thanks for popping by my blog too, could you resend the email? Try the contact form and that should get to me. Have a wonderful 2015 xx
I'm cracking up at the vision of you giving that guy a one finger salute, Shelia!! He deserved it! LOL
Your Christmas decorations are lovely & I'm coveting those beautiful dishes of yours, BIG TIME! I remember you showed them once before & I drooled over them then, too. Gorgeous!
Merry Christmas & I'm hoping 2015 will find you in better health.
Hugs,
Rett
A rather low key non-celebratory holiday for me while my husband recovers from his various ills. I have been living vicariously through all of my favorite bloggers though, and very much enjoyed all of these photos. Taking notes for next year!
Merry Christmas dear friend! I am so glad you came to visit my blog, thank you. I have missed you much. We have been very busy this Holiday season. I love your post with all the little special touches. I especially love the Santa salt sack where did you find that? too cute. I hope you have a wonderful New Year talk to you soon Grace xoox
The poem is just perfect. So cute. We all falter a bit, but you certainly got a lot of festiveness together for the season. Have a great new year!
What a fun post, Sheila!! All your decor looks so beautiful. I am very partial to those sheep you have!!! :)
Blessings to you and Mr. M!
What a cute post! Thanks for the big smile you gave me. Have a wonderful New Year! Hugs, Martha
Merry Christmas, Sheila! It is always a delight to hear from you! I had to delay my Christmas celebration a few days as I had the flu, but thankfully I'm all better now. I'm glad you are feeling better and had a wonderful Christmas!
PS: Yes, we sold our Brooklyn house in 2012 before we moved to Colorado. A family that lost their home in Hurricane Sandy bought it and from what we hear from old neighbors they love it!
Hello Sheila, Your post is full of great photos which I enjoyed so much. Even though you have not been well you still have your sense of humor and fun.
I'm sorry it took me a bit of time to visit. We have had a very busy Dec. but it was all good. We have entertained and been entertained this Christmas season and we too have so many blessings to be thankful for as always.
We send you and yours a happy and healthy New Year with much 'Joy and Peace in 2015.
Much love,
Jeanne
Dear Sheila,
I am floating on air after reading this poetic and pretty post from you, on this New Year's Eve...day! Such a whimsical wonderland you have put us in, despite your warm temps, (it's been raining here in the Med, for days, and it's chilly), so I can relate!
I do hope you are feeling better, my friend, and look forward to your beautiful posts in the new year.
Wishing you a very happy and healthy 2015!
xx
Poppy
Awwww. What a happy Christmas post!
Love all your 'scapes' and the Falalala made me smile!
I'm glad you're enjoying it!
I'm still hoarding my pencils, just so you know!
Keep smiling, girl.
That tricks all the bad stuff into remission. Or so I've been told!
Post a Comment