Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Friday, April 8, 2011

Pink Saturday: A Tale of Ticklish Mermaids...


Good Morning! Today, I'm sharing a post I did for Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound with the lovely Beverly hosting. It's the day when all of the bloggers who love pink get together and share their favorite pinks with each other. And to that end, I have a special pink tale just for you!



'Twas a pink day in Blogtown...



When I hopped on my bike...



And drove to the shed of...



This mermaid I like...



I knocked on the door...



And to my delight...



Was a world full of pinkness...



And colors so bright...



On pink painted toenails...



On pink counter tops...



On hampers of pinkness...



And ensembles that “pop!”



On bottles in baskets...



And bottles of blue...



On green ones and purples...



And yellow ones, too…



On canvases leaning...



On canvases high...



On cavases waiting...



Piled up to the sky...



On mermaids together...



On mermaids with style...



On mermaids with mustard...



And mermaids with smiles...



On mermaids gone sideways...



And mermaids gone pink...



Made by Ticklish Mermaids...



As quick as a wink...



So if you love art and mermaids and more...



Pop over to Kim's (HERE) and rap on her door...



And that concludes my tale for Pink Saturday. I do hope you will visit my wonderful and talented friend Kim at her website which includes a link to her blog, Ticklish Mermaids, by clicking HERE . She has some fun paintings to share with you!



I also hope you will join Beverly and her friends who have lots of fun pinks to share with you for Pink Saturday HERE.



Thank you so much for visiting me today, and I look forward to catching up with you in between dealing with the aftermath of my neighbor's massive oak tree and its somewhat smaller friend that decided they wanted to take a nap of sorts across our backyard. :-/



This was the view standing on our porch steps looking across the yard. You don't want to see what they left flattened in their wake, but fortunately it wasn't our house!

And on a happier note, I will also be preparing for a visit from my friend and fellow blogger, Lindsay of The Cross Stitch House along with her husband and daughter who will be visiting us from England! I can't wait! :-)

Warmly,


Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

106 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Pinkness to you, Dear One! Oh, what a sweet cute post and just filled with your rhyming! I love it and you're too much!
Hope that ole tree is gone and life is getting back to normal!
Love you,
Shelia ;)

My Arts Desire said...

Sheila, What a fun little tour! Adore that blog header too! Feeling your pain on the tree...as if you needed another house project! So glad it missed your house.
xo Love to you xo,
Sue

Maude Lynn said...

This is so cute!

Southern Lady said...

Your creativeness, cleverness, cuteness, and "classiness" never cease to amaze and delight, Sheila.

Sorry about the mess in your back yard, but I guess it could have been a whole lot worse (if it had fallen on your roof!).

Carol at Serendipity said...

Sheila,

What a fun post. The mermaids are wonderful (and I liked the dogs too!)You always tell the best stories.

Carol

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I love these pretty whinsical mermaids! ANd that pink chair i beyond fabulous!
Yvonne

Cindy said...

Good morning dearest Sheila,
How are you today, goodness what a lovely Pink tale you do tell!
What fun you always are.
I am so glad that oak tree and his friend decided to hit somewhere other than on your house!
Have a sweet weekend my friend.
Hugs, Cindy

From the Kitchen said...

I love this post and your poetic tribute to your "visit". What a charming place!! Those trees must have quite a surprise. I'm assuming a wild wind came through your area.

Enjoy your visit. It's always special to meet up with a blog friend--especially from so far away.

Best,
Bonnie

xinex said...

What a fun post, Sheila, except for the fallen trees but glad it wasn't on yours. Love the pink mermaid (you know I love mermaids too!). Enjoy the company!..Christine

Completely Coastal said...

What a wonderful creative and happy space that is, Sheila!!! Love the mermaids -so fun! Love your bike too... with the basket full of flowers!! I'd be thrilled to live in a town where I can (safely) ride a bike.

Prehistoric sharks teeth?!!! Thanks so much for sharing that. Didn't know. I've seen people posting about shark teeth finds from the beach..., but not inland.

Have a wonderful weekend.

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi there sweet Sheila....What a cute poem you have shared with us today.....so clever.....as always..it is lovely hearing from you. Going to hop over to that little mermaid spot and check it out.

Have a beautiful weekend.

Jo

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

You are so pinkly clever!

La said...

Fun post. I love whimsical paintings. Have a fabulous weekend! La

Gloria said...

First of all, sorry again about your tree! Been there, like I told you... And that mermaid lady's studio is great! Love all of her colors all around. I also love those two dogs! Also, I'm looking forward to your stories and photos of your houseguests when they come!
Best,
Gloria

Sarah said...

What a cute post for Pink Saturday. You are so clever, Ms. Magpie! I'll pop over and take a look. ~ Sarah
PS
No photo of the pink plaid Ralph Laurens????

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Lots of fun in this post! Oooh, company from England...that should be way fun!!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Boy, I had to correct my wording. My head and brain left me....



I adore your story, you have quite a knack for that and all that pinkness. I will pop over to her shop, she has quite an eye for painting. I think you need to hire her for your illustrations and publish a book.

OUCH on the trees in the yard. God sure blessed you with safe keeping that they did not hit the house.

I pray Lindsay and her family have a safe fun time with you. May the lord watch over them goin' back.

Jenny said...

What a cute pink post! I'm sorry about the tree. Gee whiz. You just can't seem to get a boring life, can you?

Enjoy your company! That will be soooo fun!

Sue said...

Just so cute Shelia, I will go visit Kim, she is very talented. Enjoy Lindsay and her family. I hope Mr. Magpie is feeling better..
Just so glad your house was protected , and that no one was hurt.
As always such a fun visit.
Hugs,
Sue

Jacqueline said...

Happy Pink Saturday to you! What a fun visit to the Mermaids. How adorable they all are. Each one is cuter than the next and such a fun pink work room too.

Can't believe the tree! Glad your house didn't come down (or anyone else's!) What a mess.

C'est moi Claudette said...

Paris or BUST... LOL LOVE IT.
How come we didn't go there? LOVE the pink toenails on that pretty yellow chair. My colours outside, yellow and red I mean, with a WHOLE LOTTA PINK INSIDE.
Happy PS my dear Mrs. Magpie. Great Artist indeed.
Love YOU
Love ME
xoxoxoxoxo

Arabella said...

Happy PINK Saturday ~ what a lovely little mermaid post :O)

Sorry about the tree...hoping you have a good weekend.

Unknown said...

What a darling write .... clever & fun! The mermaids are delightfully fun ...

Sorry about the trees making an unexpected visit ... hope no injuries or damage occurred.

Have a sweet PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

FUN GIVEAWAY ends 4/10

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

You are such a wonderful artist! Love your fur babies too! Happy Pink Saturday!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Well as you know Sheila I have a weakness for beachy thing AND also for mermaids--as does my mermaid daughter! We love mermaids! This was so much fun and I am popping over to see Kim right now! Linda

Cindy Adkins said...

Happy Pink Saturday!!! This post is astounding--I love it!!!
XO

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Sheila! What a cute post and I do hope those trees find their way out of your backyard very soon. Goodness, I'm glad they missed your house!

Blessings,
Sandi

Jori said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Love your story and your pictures! Your bike is lovely. SO happy your house wasn't smashed by that tree. I am your newest follower. :)

Terri Morse said...

This is such a delightful post! Your two furry friends are adorable. I'm definitely partial to golden retrievers. Have a wonderful weekend! Terri

Linda M. said...

Happy Pink Saturday. Very cute post. Thank goodness that tree fell the way it did.

Grace said...

I love you! Have I told you lately? You make me smile everytime I visit. Great mermaids...of course Pink hair is my favorite! lol Hope the tree is gone away and all is good. Happy Pink Saturday! Grace xoox

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

I was thoroughly enjoying your darling post until I got to the trees! I am so thankful those trees did not land on your roof! I know it will be a mess for a bit getting it all cleaned up!

Happy Pink Saturday and thank you so much for visiting and leaving a great comment!
Jil

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

SHEILA!!!! HI THERE YOU! Well, this is a fabulous post as always, with bright and happy colors! YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN ENTER INTO MY BLUEBIRD CONTEST! I was just looking for APRIL BABIES to join in on the SISTAHOOD beach party, but anyone can have a chance at the bluebird wand! CROSS YOUR FINGERS AND TOES!!!! Have a blast of a weekend my dear, Anita

DearHelenHartman said...

Well that was a story I wanted to dive right into! The Mermaids are fabulous. Happy Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

The tree looks huge and I can see why you had so much damage. Hope things get back to normal soon.

That was a lovely pink post full of pretty mermaids too.

Tete said...

Great post and I am still grinning! FUN, FUN, FUN!
Glad that big old tree didn't flatten your house and that you are safe!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and letting me know what this tree is called. I looked up Japanese Magnolia and there it was!
Hugs- Tete

Anonymous said...

Those mermaids are really cute! :D

Tara said...

What a delightful stroll through mermaid-ville! How inspired they mush be to work in such a colorful and cheerful environment.

I bet that tree did some damage. It looks like it was massive! Poor old thing. It was probably standing there forever and got tired.

Enjoy your company from across the pond and Happy Pink Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Well Hello Miss Magpie seems you and I have a lot in common. What is it about us gals from the South -- love your mermaid quirkiness. Would love to have your artist studio to paint in. You made me smile too. Terri www.morningdewdrops.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Sheila ~ Happy Pink Saturday!!
I loved this post...the mermaids
are so cute.
thanx for stopping by and leaving your wonderful comment(s) and
BEAR thanks you for stopping by again just to say hello to her :D
BEAR HUGS
~victoria~

Sonia said...

OH your post makes me smile..love the mermaids..one of my friends collects mermaids..I'll have to give her the link to your blog! Just so many pink pretties! Love your doggies too!

Miss Bloomers

Lounging with a Latte said...

What a fun pink saturday post! It looks a very creative place. Lucky that big tree didn't fall in your yard...ouch!

Sherri said...

What a cute post Sheila! You're so good with words!! Kim's paintings are so fresh and fun and such bright colours. So sorry to hear about the tree coming down but I'm glad it wasn't your house and that you are all safe and sound! Other than that I hope all is well. I'm doing good. Just getting over a back injury and taking a break from blogging. I'm sure I'll start it up again one day. I'm enjoying just popping in for visits here and there for now! Take care for now Sheila! Happy Pink Saturday : ) Sherri XO

Bill said...

Hi Mrs. M.,

What is it about mermaids that captures the collective imagination -- that makes them exotic and fascinating? Do you think these magical creatures, these ethereal visions, were truly based on tales told by drunken sailors? Sightings of manatees rising from the sea, adorned with moist, seaweedy tresses? Tell me it can't be so!

Your poetry, dear lady, is pure delight! Encore!!!

So sorry about the damage caused by the fallen trees, but SO very glad your home was spared.

Sending good thoughts to you and Mr. M.

Fondly,
Bill

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Kim is mighty talented! How fun...especially if you have a beach house or a summer / pool room.

Anonymous said...

Loved seeing the dogs and all the happy paintings.

You were lucky about the trees! From the picture, they look very close to your house. I'm glad the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. Hopefully once those are removed there won't be too much damage to your yard.

Kai Rui said...

love your paintings...I'm your new follower, hope you'll follow me back...

thanks for visiting my site and for the comment..

Chatty Crone said...

So very sorry about yout yard - it looked like it would be beautiful if it weren't for the fallen trees!

And I am in love with the fabulous color of pink! And your story.

Sandie

Nancy said...

How darling - such cute mermaids! Oh my gosh - that tree in your yard. Thank goodness it missed your house. Enjoy the visit with the kids from England! xoxo Nancy
PS - The girls are shelties but I know collies are just as sweet - I had one growing up, too.

PuteriFauziah said...

Hi Sheila! Your mermaids are really pretty and gorgeous. Not forgetting your pretty pink chair too!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Thanks for the visit, though.

Hugs, PuteriFauziah

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sheila,
That is one scary looking tree falling down. So glad your ok and that it didn't land on your home.
And I super duper loved your pinky mermaid post!
So whimsical and fun!
We are finally getting spring here Sheila! About time huh? It's supposed to be almost 80 tomorrow and then back into the 50's and 60's. Typical wacky Wisconsin weather!
Hugs friend,
Cindy

Bluebirds and Roses said...

Good Morning Shelia...My heart soars with inspiration from this delightful post.I love those chairs and your studio so bright and cheery...Thank you for the green still barren up North here but did see a daffodil!HPS!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I do declare Sheila - you have the best fun on the entire internet! Love those faces peeking in the window and that pink chair, ooh, la, la. Happy Pink Saturday.
Sam

Kathy said...

This is just charming! What a happy talent she has - so glad the tree took a nap in the yard and not on anything else! There's a lot of trees down in our town due to the storm earlier in the week,
Marvelous news about your guests! How fun!

Happy Pink Saturday,
Kathy

Bluebirds and Roses said...

Where can I buy a mermaid?

NanE said...

Hi Shelia, Happy PINK Saturday! What a fun post today. I really enjoyed looking at all the Mermaids, I have a personal connection to them (long story for another day). Have a wonderful weekend, Nan
PS, I really love your Winston Churchill quote! ;)

Scribbler said...

You make my day with your rhymes! And I could die happy in that studio -- I am longing for the day when I can convert my garage (or something) into a place to play.

The link to the booksite which contains the PayPal link is http://genevabook.wordpress.com. Thanks for your support.

All the bet to your husband, and I hope you get the tree business cleaned up without too much ado.

Ellen

The Artful Diva said...

Fabulous post, Sheila. I love your Mermaid story!

Rebecca Nelson said...

You totally crack me up! Love the poem. Love the pics. Love you!

xoRebecca

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I love your Blog sweeet Sheilaand your lovely Header.~~So sorry you lost your Tree but it is good the tree did not hit your house. I would like to Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my Tablescapes and becoming my newest follower on my Blog.I hope you and your family have a Great Weekend.
XXOO
Diane

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Cute rhyme! I saw your comment over at Savannah Granny with regard to html codes and the returns all being removed when you go back to compose. Same thing happening here. Very aggravating indeed. I sure hope it is resolved but has been a couple of weeks now so don't know what the problem is. Glad to know that the tree didn't cause too much damage. Have a fun visit. Best wishes, Tammy

Elaine said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I love how creative you are on this blog.. A delight to read and look at.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pinks Sweet Sheila...
What a gorgeous share. You are such a beautiful poet and I so enjoyed reading this tale of a Mermaid. It was beautiful. I enjoyed seeing the Mermaid paintings, how beautiful and the colors so vibrant and pretty.

Loved those critter faces that greeted you at the door, I can't even imagine a better welcome than that.

Also love meeting Kim and her sweet girl. I will pop over for a visit.

How exciting to have company coming from England. I bet you can't wait. I can't wait to see the photos.

Sorry to see and hear about the neighbors tree, it was so beautiful, but thankful it landed in the yard and not on your home.

Have a glorious weekend sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Thepearsonfamilee said...

Happy Pink Saturday! I loved your story! :)

Eileen said...

This post was sweet!
Next time my granddaughter Mia comes over I'll have to have her visit, she loves Mermaids too.

'LOVED reading your little story as I always do!

'So sorry to read about the fallen trees in your yard though. But glad to hear it missed your house.

Enjoy your company! I hope you have a wonderful time! Lucky you! And luckier guests!
Love to you,
Eileen

Donna said...

Thanks for sharing such lovely pinkness with us today. Glad the tree missed your house!
D

Picket said...

What a cute post sweetie....loved the story! Girl lookiing at your back yard with the fallen trees gives me flash backs of when our two huge Bradford Pears fell during a storm two years ago....I looked out the front window and all I could see was green...I jusy knew it had taken the whole front of the house off but they fell straight across the front yard in the same direction and ..a huge mess but a blessing it didn't hit the house...I love you sweetie..but you crack me up falling off your chair! Just how old are you sweetie!!! lol lol Have a great weekend....Picket

Tricia said...

Those are some pretty cute mermaids! And what a tree! Looks like there might be some good fire wood for someone! Happy PS.

Blessings,
Tricia

Designs on 47th Street said...

Your post really made me smile...such happy photos. So glad your house was spared from that huge tree!
Donna

The Tablescaper said...

Such adorable mermaids! So cute!!!
- The Tablescaper

Moore Minutes said...

OMGness! That was a big tree to take residence there, yikes. :-/

And, your blog posts ALWAYS make me smile. I want that pink grass skirt! lol

Brenda Pruitt said...

You sure do seem to have a lot of fun!
Brenda

Amisha said...

WoW, lovely treasures!

Dogmom Diva said...

Sheila, what a fun, fun post! thank you so much for stopping by, always appreciated..have a blessed Sunday..

Barb

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

I hope your backyard get clean up, so you can enjoy your friend's visit!

suesueb said...

All the mermaid paintings are adorable and your poem is wonderful!! Hope the fallen tree is dealt with quickly. Have a great visit with your friend too and a beautiful pink week!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Happy Pink to you my Dear friend..Love ya..Hugs and smiles Gloria

nannykim said...

Hi! What a happy post (aside from the downed tree!). I think pictures like that look great when massed together. We have been having some heavy storms here as well. Last night we had a really cool thunderstorm , followed up by another one!

Karen Deborah said...

You could be the next Dr.Seuss with your rhyming skills! I'm sorry about the trees!! Glad no one was hurt and no houses damaged. Those paintings are really fun. I think maybe it's time for some toenail painting around here.

Loretta said...

Thanks for your kind comments at my blog! Wow...those trees are something else; I'm glad no one got hurt. Have fun with your Blogger friend.

dana said...

What an ADORABLE and clever mermaidy post!! Loved it to pieces!

Ugh....I love big ol trees until they fall or are shattered by ice storms (had that happen a few years ago to our 7 very mature trees). Our yard looked like it had exploded. Our roof, guttering, and fence were all in the line of one tree or another. The worst part....one tree limb took out the TV cable connection to MANY houses around us and another took our out electricity for 9 days. SO....that's why I now look at big old trees in a different way! ;)

Have fun with your visit with Lindsay! Isn't she the blogger who shared Stella with us? Tell her hi!

Happy PS to you! L, Dana

Anonymous said...

If I had a beach house (I dream about it all the time) I would have a mermaid room for sure. HPS Sheila

Lynn said...

Cute post! Thanks for visiting the other day.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I haven't seen this blog header before...very cute along with the clever story you've told. Hope you have a great week!

Kathleen said...

Hi S!
Lots of pinkness going on there~ Love the expression on the mermaid!
Have a wonderful visit with your guests!
Do whiten the pearlies before they arrive, then give them sunglasses so they don't get blinded by your smile! :)

Dena E's Blog said...

Wow,, no i mean, WOW!!! This was GREAT Sis...What a delight...THANKS for your note on PINK day... Yes, I'm a tad bit late. BUT, my heart is still in it...Your notes are always such a blessing to me, they soooo warm my heart and lift my spirits..THANKS again Sweetie...God has sure made a Special Woman when he created You!!!
Prayers and Hugs Dena

Dena E's Blog said...

PS>>>You're the BEST!!! If I gave out awards you be one of the first Sweetie!!! Sooo thankful I've been blessed with YOU!!!

Savannah Granny said...

Sheila, This is such a cute post. I was smiling all the way through. When I first pulled up the blog I had to gasp. Love that Painting. I hope you now own that one.
Have great fun with the friends from across the "Pond". Be sure to share the visit with us later. Hugs.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Adorable!! What a fun little trip - and what fun...a mother daughter team?!! We'll have to go check out their blog - very sweet post...and full of pink goodness of course Mrs. Magpie :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sheila, I love all the pinks you found to share with us today. I hope you had a great weekend and that today will be rosy. Blessings...Mary

Donna said...

What a fun post! I love all the pink! The mermaids are fabulous.

Sorry about the fallen tree. Oops.

Hugs,
Donna

SmilingSally said...

Sheila,

You've turned into a Pink Poetess! However, I noticed that the bike is blue.

I know you're going to enjoy your time with Lindsay.

Now, THAT is a TREE!

My Days with Daisy said...

Love, Love, Love it and Love you!!I swear I need to publish that as a poem!
Kim

Tammy Neal said...

Hi Sheila!

Thank you for visiting my blog for Pink Saturday! I really enjoyed your post and I am convinced that you should write children's books if you don't already! That would be a great one - "The Ticklish Mermaid". Kim is a fantastic artist. Thank you for sharing her work with us. Happy Belated Pink Saturday to you!
Love Tammy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What an adorable post! Kim's mermaids are so cute. Enjoy your special visitor!

Sue said...

This was so cute! I love the mermaid art and I love your words that go with it. What fun!

I am so glad your home survived the tree falling...a mess for sure!

Maison Mutt said...

What a fun post. All your models (furry ones too) were adorable! Sorry to hear about the tree. Our next door neighbor had their old oak come crashing down last month. I miss it so much as it was one of 3 glorious shade trees that we "shared". Happy (late) PS!
Licks & wags, Niki

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Enjoyed seeing the pink! Those mermaids are so cute! Is that shop in St. Aug? (I'll click on the site to see!)

Katherine

Ivory Spring said...

Sheila,

What a fun post. I love your new banner! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sheila,

I love your poem and your friend creates gorgeous and fun mermaids. I love your new header, it's perfect for Florida. Mermaids are really popular down on the cape also.

I am sorry about the tree, it does leave quite the mess. Not to mention the view.

I loved this post.

Karen

Bunny said...

Happy Pink to you sweetie!!
I love this ~so much fun.. Really brought a smile to my face on this rainy damp day!
I'm glad no one was hurt by that darn tree!!!
hugs&kisses
Oliver&Bunny
I love Mermaids.. So fun and magical

Rettabug said...

How FUN!! This gal is very talented...going over to her site just as soon as I hit 'submit'.

Bummer on those trees falling where they did. You sure have had your fair share of tree "issues", huh?

Yes, you DO need the bee beverage dispenser!!! Think how fun it would be, filled with Long Island Ice Tea???!!!! Yikes!!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow, so glad it missed your house! Love those cute mermaid paintings...fun! Do you really ride a bike to go places? I'm so jealous! I want to live where I can ride bikes to go on errands. :)

ladyjane said...

Ms. Magpie...Now what could be better than PINK? PINK Mermaids of course! Adorable post girlfriend...how ya been?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheilaness! Oh, I'll bet Lindsay and Co. :) are going to go to Disney World since Jessica love Disney! Have a wonderful time with them and tell Lindsay I say hello!
Thanks for popping in, sweet friend, as I'm in camera hog heaven right now! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Sheila, doesn't everyone love mermaids? I know I do.

Happy Pink Saturday. I hope that tree is long gone by now.