Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Monkey Business


Well, some monkey business truly has taken place this week. It appears that the monkeys have been busy tricking me! LOL! You see, I thought today was the First Anniversary of Gollum's Foodie Friday , a day when all the blogging foodies gather together for potluck. We've had lots of fun this past year and are looking forward to other fun foodie adventures in the next. To that end, I got together my anniversary post and posted it TODAY for TOMORROW. But this is NOT, I repeat NOT, Gollum's anniversary. It IS coming up in February, however! And I still want to thank Gollum for always being such a gracious hostess! :-)

This week, I have a troupe of wannabe thespians who have volunteered to produce a little foodie fun for you. Be forewarned. If they appear a tad simian in their demeanor, it's because they are simian with all that entails. So without further adieu, Banana Fanna Productions Presents:


A Day in the Life of Foodie Freddie or A Little Monkey Business

It was a glorious morning in Bongo Bongo. The sun was just starting to peek over the horizon...



While Foodie Freddie was sleeping soundly, dreaming of bananas and colorful balloons...



First the sun looked one way...



And then the other...



Freddie, oblivious, was in monkey heaven, curled up under warm, cozy covers, his head on a sweet, soft pillow...



And then, without warning, the sun rose in all its morning splendor...



And day began...



Come on, Freddie , don't just lie there...



And don't even think about doing that...



Times a-wastin'...



There's work to be done...



And banana phones are ringing! Speaking of which...



"Hello there," says Freddie, says he...



"Hello, Freddie," says Mitzy with glee...



"I'm in the tub getting clean as can be"...



"Are you going to cook my dinner for me???"



"I'll be by about half past three!!!"



And with that, Mitzy (or She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) hung up before Foodie Freddie had a chance to get a word in edgewise...



So he was off in a flash to Publix...



Then it was zip-zap-zip in the kitchen, and among other dishes, Freddie whipped together a banana pudding with the following ingredients...



Bananas, about forty-'leven of them. According to Freddie, you just bite them into nice size pieces. See...



Easy Peasy!

Then, you get some 'Nilla Wafers. These happen to be green ones (just because)...



Next comes the box of 'Nilla Puddin' mix (because monkeys like to cheat). Then you add some condensed milk (you know, the kind from condensed cows). Be sure to stir this with a sterling silver spoon because that makes everything taste SO much better, and don't forget to cook it on a magic stove (or not)...



And last but not least, add whipped cream, making sure to use only the kind that comes in a Herend trinket box and tastes like a wet paper towel (because it is a wet paper towel)...



Now that we've got all of our ingredients together, we're going to layer...



Beginning with the 'Nilla Wafers...



Followed by the banana bites...



Topped with the 'Nilla Puddin'...



And crowned with the whipped cream...



Then we take our finished product...



And magically transfer it to this cut glass trifle bowl...



Because presentation is everything...



These rare porcelain "socks" being a case in point...



Seen here juxtaposed against a banana urn in Herend's Chinese Bouquet...



And an heirloom Japanese tea set (that belonged to Mr. Magpie's great aunt), executed in a bamboo pattern (the tea set, not his aunt) and displayed on a Towle silver calling card tray (a tarnished remnant of its former self, relegated to life in a simian side show)...



Now, let's play with the dishes! :-)

The green and white bamboo dinner plates coordinate nicely with the geometric pattern of the tablecloth in tones of banana yellow and white...



Note that the salad plates are smaller versions of their dinner plate companions...



The heirloom napkins are tied with green satin ribbons from a clearance bin at Michael's...



Mitzy's sterling spoon is "Frontenac" by International...



Foodie Freddie's sterling spoon is what I believe to be an antique Whiting pattern, but I stand to be corrected if you know the pattern to be something different...



Lounging beneath silver palms, silver monkeys act as place card holders with place cards executed in a green and white treillage pattern (and pilfered from the inside of some unsuspecting envelope). These echo the Thibaut wallpaper in an adjoining room...



While blue flowers fill a Herend Chinese Bouquet urn...wait a minute, what's that I see there???



Well, I should have known better than to leave those silver monkeys unattended! Never trust a monkey further than you can throw him...



Moving right along, the same goes for twinkly-eyed monkeys of the sock variety no matter how innocent they appear...



He's a monkey. Don't trust him with a girl monkey, and be sure to keep an eye on the silver...



He'll use the excuse that the silver place card holder has his name on it as carte blanche to take souvenirs...



And with the girl, he won't even use that excuse...



But I've gotta say that those puddin' eating monkeys are awfully sweet and oh so romantic...



How do I love thee...



Let me count...



The ways...



I love thee to the depth ...



And breadth...



And height my soul can reach...



When feeling out of sight...



Ah, what a romantic you are, Foodie Freddie...



Sigh. You almost made me forget that we haven't had dessert yet...



And in case you think that banana pudding is dessert for a sock monkey, think again! That was merely the entree while the meal began with a fruit salad. So what's for dessert??? Well, for the lady's man himself, we have this sweet for the sweet...



And for Mademoiselle Mitzy, we have this sugary confection...



A cupcake guaranteed to make a lady's heart go pitter patter and color-coordinated with her outfit, too. That Freddie thinks of everything...



And right now, he has that starry-eyed look of a monkey in love...



But is it Mitzy or the pink marshmallows in the coffee cup that put that look in his eye???



Or is he just dazed from the sugar coma he got from sneaking into the cookie jar without us knowing it???



We may never know...



But one thing's for certain, with a charmer like Foodie Freddie around...



Every meal is more festive, particularly when each course is dessert! ;-)



Sweet Dreams!


The End.



Thank you so much for visiting me today. Here's hoping you enjoyed the monkeyshines in this tale. I'm sorry I've been MIA lately, but I've been up to my eyeballs in house repairs and fundraisers among other things. I hope to be back to blogging very soon, but I look forward to visiting you this weekend at your blog! I always enjoy seeing what you've been doing! :-)

Please visit our dear Gollum and wish her a Happy 1st Anniversary for Foodie Friday, and please be sure to visit her friends as well. They've all cooked some wonderful treats for you today! You can see all of these goodies by clicking right HERE!



I'm also going to link up to Pink Saturday since I have a tiny bit of pink in this post and since some of my pink friends enjoy sock monkeys and such. Please join sweet Beverly and the Pinkies by clicking HERE . There's always something fun to see on Pink Saturday as many artists participate in that meme. Tell you what, I'll race you there! :-)



Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

P.S.

I wanted to share two versions of Banana Pudding with you. The first is the cheater's version I found in a family cookbook. The second is old-fashioned banana pudding made from scratch. I had tried to find Mr. Magpie's grandmother's version (the best I've ever eaten), but alas, we were unable to find her exact one. Since Grandmother would nevuh-evuh cheat with a receipt, I'm going to give a version that Mother Magpie and I feel is similar. Grandmother's recipe involved making your own custard and meringue from scratch. But first, the easy one...

No Brainer Banana Pudding

2 cups milk
2/3’s can of condensed milk (I use Eagle Brand)
1 small instant vanilla pudding mix
1 large container of whipped topping (I use Cool Whip)
5 or 6 bananas

Mix the milks together. Add milks to the pudding mixture.

Add one-third of whipped topping to mix.

Cover bottom of dish with vanilla wafers and add sliced bananas. Then add pudding. Top with remaining whipped topping. Regrigerate till serving time.

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding (this involves making a custard from scratch and cooking a meringue)

To begin, cut up your bananas into small pieces (less than 1/2 inch thick). Dip in lemon juice if you want to keep them from browning. Set aside.

Prepare custard. Note: I prefer to make mine in the top of a double boiler. While it takes more time (don't be surprised if it takes you at least 15 minutes or longer), it’s safer in my opinion. And if I can do it, you can do it, too! :-) I'm going to give you the ingredients for both versions... the one made in a double boiler and the one made in a heavy pan.

Note that the recipe calling for the double boiler custard also requires a loaf pan/dish in pyrex to bake the banana pudding, and the other recipe that uses the heavy saucepan for the custard calls for a 9 by 9 inch square dish in which to bake the banana pudding. I use pyrex.

For the Custard:

3/4 cup sugar (in double boiler recipe) to 1 cup sugar (in heavy pan recipe)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (in double boiler recipe) to 1/2 cup all-purprose flour (in heavy pan recipe)
Dash of salt(in double boiler recipe) to 1/2 teaspoon of salt (in heavy pan recipe)
4 egg yolks (use large or extra large eggs and reserve the whites to make your meringue)
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ripe, nice-sized bananas (in double boiler recipe) to 5 ripe nice-sized bananas (in heavy pan recipe)
1 box of vanilla wafers (about three dozen are used for this)
1 tablespoon of butter (for custard made in the heavy saucepan ONLY)

For the Double Boiler Custard Recipe:

Bring water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler. Mix sugar, salt and flour together in top of the double boiler, making sure the lumps are out. Beat egg yolks and add to milk. Add the milk and yolks to the mixture in the double boiler, stirring constantly to blend well. Continue to stir constantly until custard thickens. Cook this recipe uncovered. From my own experience, this process could take up to fifteen minutes or more. Just remember, it's a "process". Remove pan from heat. Add the vanilla, stirring well.

For the Heavy Saucepan Custard Recipe:

For this method, you start with mixing your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt) until it’s well mixed with no lumps. Then in a heavy saucepan, you whisk the eggs well over medium heat. Next you alternate adding the dry ingredient mixture, milk, and vanilla a little at a time. Bring to a gentle boil. When it starts to thicken, you then add a tablespoon of cut up butter (no substitutes... margarine is a big no-no for this) and stir constantly. You don’t want it to burn. Boil and stir at this gentle boil stage until the custard reaches a thick pudding consistency. Be careful not to SCORCH it. This is why I like the safety of a double boiler. ;-)

Layer ingredients in pyrex . You can either layer them from the bottom: vanilla wafers, bananas, custard and repeat the ingredients, ending in meringue for the 9 by 9 inch dish, or you can layer them from the bottom starting with the custard, bananas, and vanilla wafers (repeating two or three times) and ending in meringue for the loaf dish. Some people glop it all together, but I like to do it the pretty way. ;-)

For the Meringue

4 eggs whites
5-6 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (for the loaf pan pudding) or 375 (for the 9 by 9 inch pan pudding)

Beat egg whites in a mixing bowl on high speed until they just start to form soft peaks and are still frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until the egg whites stand in soft peaks. Using the mixer at high speed, add sugar a tablespoon at a time until the egg whites form stiff peaks. Then fold in vanilla and beat. Spread meringue over other ingredients that you layered in the dish, covering the entire top and the edges of the baking dish with meringue, sealing in the pudding. Bake until meringue is slightly browned (about 15 minutes for the loaf pan pudding at 350 degrees and about 12-15 minutes for the 9 by 9 inch pan pudding at 375 degrees). Refrigerate the banana pudding until time to serve.

129 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Cute post, Sheila!

I love nanner puddin' and made the cheater's version, not long ago.

All the while I was reading this the song Abadaba Honeymoon kept running through my head. I don't know if I spelled Abadaba right, but I kept hearing that song, anyway!

Happy 1st anniversary Foodie Friday!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I adore your sweet sense of humor!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Sheila,

You are the best story teller! Have you considered writing children's books, or have you done so already? It seems like you have developed a specialty niche that many people would enjoy in print.

bernie

Lisa said...

Oh how great for the 1st anniversary! I love your monkeys! I have never seen the s&p! I used to get a sock animal every year for Christmas! I just so love them!!
Hugs, Lisa

Kat said...

Once again, I can always count on you to put a smile on my face, even on the worst days! Foodie Freddie is way too cute, and I can see why he jumps when Miss Mitzi calls. By the way, the double boiler recipe is very similar to the one I use. But I'll admit I cheat and use whipped cream (nobody in this house likes meringue except the cat and I!) Hope you are having a wonderful week. Kathy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Brilliant Sheila!
You are quite the storyteller! A children's book in your future? Glad to see your around, sounds like you've been a busy gal! Hugs, Cindy

CJ said...

Such a sweet post. Foodie freddie is very cute! And i love the recipes too!. And the pictures and the tea set ..phew! I had a blast reading the post!


♥ Chaitra

the wild raspberry said...

that was so cure sheila!
how do you do it?!

my favorite scene is the monkey in the bubble bath with the banana phone
~~~~~~~so funny~~~~~~~~

xx
chas

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sheila, This is the most creative fun post. I hung on every word and could not wait for the next picture. I am saving this post to show some of my friends and family. You made my evening! Thank you for sharing this magical love story. Too bad Freddie isn't single, I have a friend that needs a good monkey, er, I mean man!
Yvonne

Southern Lady said...

Oh, how adorable, Sheila! Only you could come up with such precious little characters and bring them to life with your story and delightful pictures.

Your imagination and talent never cease to amaze and inspire me.

Darlene said...

Your stories are so charming and delightful. LOVE them and I also LOVE Banana Pudding...YUM!!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This is a bunch of monkey busienss! What a fun post! I love the shots of them dipping their spoons into those darling dessert bowls. You are so creative!

susan said...

Oh Sheila--My family will think I am crazy if I continue to laugh out loud at the computer! Sock monkeys with love on their mind in a sugar coma and eating out of Herend....I started laughing the minute I saw the header. Priceless! Thank you!

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

That was quite frisky of Mitzy to make that call while in the bathtub and very gentleman like of Freddie to not say I shall be right over. This was one of my favorites Sheila. Very very wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my Dearest Sheila! I just love you to death! Your story telling is adorable and your props! Oh, I mean your little monkeys and the naner puddin'! You are just so creative.
I imagine myself sitting on a tufted ottoman listening and watching the monkeyshines! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Joyce said...

You sure made me SMILE with all your Monkey Business. You are so creative and I love your blog. I am going to read your story to my little GS this weekend. Thank you.
Joyce

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Shelia, this is so adorable, you should make a children's book. I have a sock monkey...but I really hope my cousin Hettie Lynn sees your post. Her mother, my aunt Blanche, made sock monkeys. Hettie Lynn called hers "Winky."
Just adorable!
XX00

Nancy Jane said...

What a delightful post. I hope you're considering penning children's books, although I have to admit that I would buy this in book form for me!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Also, I love your banana puddin' recipe. It speaks of summer and the South.

susan said...

STOP IT!!! I am laughing so hard! I used to play Raffi in the car for my kids all the time! Thanks for the tip :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful fun - you went to so much work for this one - thanks for sharing. I love the monkeys - I want one.

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

Ms. Monroe and I are just fine...fine I tell you! lol Yes I am much better at dropping in on others that posting my own blog. Searching for inspiration to keep my old body moving. :) Five minutes later and you would have seen that I had finally posted afresh. hahahaha Ah, I do love blog land. Much love to you my friend!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sheila!
I knew you were very busy ...glad you had a little break to post this delightful Foodie Friday (I just posted mine too!)

I do declare you should write a children's book and turn your fun photos and dialog ideas into a story! You are so talented. This was an adorable post!

I adore banana pudding and it would be dangerous for me to have a bowl of it available to me as I'd eat the entire thing..I have no will power! LOL

Happy Foodie Friday and Pink Saturday!

Hugs, Pat

Alea Milham said...

Fun post! I haven't made banana pudding yet for my 2 year old. I bet he would love it!

Natasha in Oz said...

Wow, that is funnest Foodie Friday tablescape post I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe too!

Best wishes, Natasha.

honeysuckle said...

Very cute and clever post today. Have more fun with those monkeys!

Suzanne said...

Your monkey business post is so cute!! It makes me think of Curious George.
Thanks for your sweet comment!
Blessings,
Suzanne :)

Unknown said...

What a FUN post! I really did have fun reading it... and that's quite a collection of sock monkeys! Thanks for the post Sheila! I needed that tonight...
Rainey

The Muse said...

your warm wishes for my road to good health, are greatly appreciated dear Shelia...
and thank you for the smiles...a post of sheer delight...
much needed my dear...and treasured.

Anonymous said...

I am in stitches over these two! You are too creative :)

Thank you for making me smile today!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Sheila, I am lol here in the corn.

You have the most clever posts :-)

This West London Life said...

Good grief, Mrs M! Your posts are like works of art ~ brilliantly put together! x

Unknown said...

You have such a whimsical imagination Sheila, you must have so much fun with the Banana Fanna Productions!!!

SmilingSally said...

You are the most inventive person in Blogland! Where do these ideas germinate? I wish you'd find a publisher so that little ones would have this book to treasure.

Anonymous said...

I love your banana pudding post and the sock monkeys too! Sock monkeys are so happily adorable...I have been wanting to make one for my little grandbaby. Did you make yours?
And I agree with Bernie. Your sock monkey stories would be perfect for childrens books. My little Junior would love them.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Oh Sheila...you've really outdone yourself - we only have one question....Where are the circus peanuts (ha!) Anyway - you have such a talent for picture story telling - you should really make a photo book up on Lulu for kids (and foodie fans alike!)
Anyway, thanks for the smiles today!

Together We Save said...

Great post!! I just love your monkey tales.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my goodness Sweet Sheila..........I kept thinking about how much work you put into that post! WOW! I think I've done a lot when I've taken a few pictures..........You had me laughing through the entire story. What a funny girlie you are!

I love your sock monkeys....you have soooo many of them. My little grandson got a sock monkey kit for Christmas and put me to work right away. The darn things are much more difficult than they look.....I'm still working on it......Ok, I can't lie, I haven't picked it up since Christmas....it's still sleeping in the bag. I am seriously procrastinating!

I love the china.....how beautiful. The Mr. is from Hawaii and would be crazy about it too. At least I'd have a bit of clutter around here that he really loves! :-)

Have a wonderful day, clever girl!


Huggies and lovies!
Spence

Anonymous said...

This post is adorable!..your monkey-ing 'round is too cute!
I Enjoyed!

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Oh Sheila, this is such a fun and wonderful post! Love your story, the monkeys, the tablescape, and your photos!
Thanks for stopping by!

Allie and Pattie said...

OMG-TOO cute!! Thanks for the smiles
xoxo Pattie

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a dear post! I do believe you are quite fey :-). I always have such fun when I visit here. We'll be trying your banana pudding. It's a favorite on my husbands. Have a great, Sheila. Blessings...Mary

Betty said...

You are so funny Sheila!! Have you ever tried "Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding" from Paula Deen? It is sooo good but also so fattening. Google it! You'll love it. Have a wonderful weekend.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Sheila, you've made me smile today. How can anyone resist these darling monkeys. I agree with Natural Moments. You should write children's stories.
Sam

Shellbelle said...

Okay first, I need one of those banana phones for The Hut and secondly, I love banana pudding! A while back I posted a recipe, but I made homemade vanilla wafers for the first time. They were so easy and so good, that I now I'll never use store-bought again.

Funny that we both had recipes from the banana family today!

You've been so busy, but I'm glad you have time to drop in. I don't think you caught my post that told everyone I'm moving to Georgia on April 1st. Not to far over the border though, so I will be visiting your coast more often.

Happy Foodie Friday to you and the monkeys!

bj said...

Really cute, Sheila..

I make Bill's mom's version of Banana Pudding...all from scratch but very easy to make. Best I've ever had.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Yum...Sheila! I love banana pudding and am mostly inclined to make the cheater's version...still good! (Every time I type "banana" I am reminded that in elementary school, I had a hard time fiding a quitting place for all of those nanananas....) I love your cast of characters! You always tell such a wonderful story! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend...hugs...Debbie
I am glad you like the wreath! It's a lot of fun for $6.00!!

Tiffanee said...

Love the story and the pictures are adorable. The pudding sounds incredible. Thanks for all the different versions.

Sue said...

This was so cute and funny. I love sock monkeys and banana pudding! Thank you for your visit...we keep crossing paths, so I'm clicking the follow button!

Sue

My Slice of Heaven said...

How cute! I had a monkey like yours years ago when I was a little girl...and the recipe is great too!

Chatty Crone said...

That was awesome. You have the best imagination I've ever seen. I do think about how many pictures and scenes you had to set up to do this story and how long it must have taken you. Love the monkeys and the banana pudding.
sandie

Sue said...

Hello Dear Shelia,
So wonderful to read one of your post. Just where do you get these great ideas? so much fun to read, I know my g-daughters would love a visit with you.
Banana pudding is one of my favorite desserts, the old fashioned ones like you posted. I like to eat it hot, right out of the oven.
As always such a treat to visit you.
Hugs,and blessings,
Sue

Anonymous said...

HI Sheila!! Oh, thanks for popping in too see my Pinkness. Now are those silly monkeys still eating their naner puddin'?
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

xinex said...

Such a cute post, Sheila! Do you write children's books? If not, you should. You are very good. The tablescape is really cute too and the banana pudding sounds so yummy! Which recipe tastes better in your opinion? BTW, I will be staying with my daughter (having a baby anytime now) for about a month. If you are ever in the Cape Coral or Fort Myers area, let me know....Christine

Melodie said...

What a cute post! And what a lot of work you put into it. Holy smokes!

Pom Pom said...

Hi Mrs. Magpie!
I just want to pinch those monkey cheeks!

Ladynred said...

Your monkey business post is quite entertaining. Thank you for sharing!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Sheila!

No monkeying around here..no siree! LOL

Fun post! I had a blast on my monkey adventure through this post!

Claudia said...

I am always amazed at the details and fun you present in your posts.

I am not kidding... heck when i put up 3-5 photos I feel like i have written a novel :)

You inspire me and always thanks for stopping by and posting a comment. (pssst you shouldve liked to us today... perfect beautiful story!)

Claudia

Kelee Katillac said...

Sheila!!!! I LOVE YOU! I had no idea NO. NO. NO. idea you are an internet troubadour; a puppet-master--a total riot.

I just loved this... I used to do little scenes and vignettes too! Haven't in a long time..you have INSPIRED me...thrown down the gauntlet!

Thank-you for being you! I am smiling harder than
Freddie witha whole banana tree!

love, kelee

Vicki said...

Hi, Sheila,
What a romantic tale full of all sorts of "monkey business"!! I love banana pudding, too. My mother always made hers "from scratch" and it was delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipes. Have a lovely weekend, my friend! Vicki

akawest said...

If you squint your eyes, the pudding looks real, or at least like a bowl of lemon pudding with whipped cream. Just an FYI from a sleepy, but sugar loving pal, who once almost cried because a buffet restaurant didn't have the banana pudding the day she visited.

I am off to bed, where I shall dream on 'Nilla wafers. Whomever invented that dessert was brilliant. Since another day will soon be upon us where calories don't count, maybe I will make the cheater version. I could put a cherry on top and it will be suitable for Valentine's Day. Yep, that sounds good...night, night, Mrs. Magpie.

KayEllen said...

What a darling post :)
Happy Pink Saturday!!

I loved it!
Thank you for the recipe too~~~looks very yummy.

xoxo
Kay Ellen

Lindsay-ann said...

Good Morning Sheila
This was just what I needed this morning. It was such a fun post with the monkies enjoying dinner. You tell such cute stories in a lovely fun way. Thank you for brightening this very dull day.
Have a great weekend and good luck with the paint project.
Lindsay
x

Imagery by Kimberly said...

LOVE THIS!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

The cutest monkey business EVER!

You are such a jewel in Blogland Sheila - thank you for this adorable story - as charming and cute as can be.

Like you.


xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. :) I love those monkeys, and now I'm hungry! Have a great weekend, Ms. Sheila!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheila!

You're back, you're back to story telling again with your many many little friends :-)

You know, I think Foodie Freddie can be one's guy dream. Whatever Miss Mitzy demands, he'll probably do it LOL

Yes, both are very sweet sharing dinner but aren't those teeny weeny silver monkeys sweeter? Look at them sneaking for a kiss! How cute can that be? It's a cute "monkey business" - hhhmmmmmmm there's isn't such a thing, huh? Well maybe in this story :-)

Oh, and as to the banana pudding, if i get a chance, I'll probably make the 1st version. A bit easier to whip up and you don't have to wait long to dig in :-)

Mizpah,
Li

Bette said...

such a sweet and cuuuuute post. my little one enjoyed looking at the pictures. she especially liked the tub scene and the dining scene.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sheila, I love to come here. You put so much thought into your posts. Thank you so much for the recipes. The tablescape was darling. You always make me smile ♥
Thank you for partisipating in Mivhael's meme. It was interesting to read your answers. I loved them! I hope you and Mr. Magpie have a wonderful weekend.

jeanne said...

Good morning Sheila, we are into bad weather again and most of the day yesterday we did not have internet AGAIN. A drawback of mountain living. Our tower is on the highest mountain in our area and then my sisters home has another tower which feeds off the main tower and that is how we have wireless service. Weather affects our service very often. sigh.

Nor for the monkey business. Sheila, you are the best story teller. I laughed my self silly with the antics and story. I especially love the 'phone' and the whipped cream. Thank you for making my day start on a bright note. This was a huge project to post. Good job.
The weather can get anyone down right now. It snowed then it rained and now we have ice. Strong winds etc. This afternoon it is supposed to snow again. I don't mind staying in cosy by the fireplace but Bill is teaching and it scares me when he has to drive on ice. It was so bad this week that the schools have closed since Thursday. Including the college thankfully. Spring hurry up! What day are we planning our get together? We have a wedding in WPBch on March 21st.

Have a wonderful Florida day.
Love and hugs, Jeanne xoxo

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a cute and entertaining post, Sheila! Love the monkeys! Happy Pink Saturday to you and have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sheila, I had to come back for another look. This is the cutest post I have ever read! I want everyone in blogland to enjoy it to. So, I adding a link in my Pink Saturday post to your Monkey business post. I have had so much fun reading it and being swept up in your creativity and the life of Freddie and Mitzi!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

I smiled as soon as I saw your header!! xoxo

dana said...

Whew! That was quite a post, Sheila! I LOVED it....and I love your amazing collection of monkeys!! And I LOVE nanner puddin'!!

Hope you get back on your blogging schedule soon....you more than made up for it with the wonderful read!

Happy Pink Sat! L,Dana

Grace said...

I laughed so hard thank you sweetie! This was a great post love the monkeys. Thanks for also sharing the recipe...Grace xoxoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Sheila dearest,
What an absolutely darling, cute, delicious and copious post!!!! Thank you for visiting me for some dancin'and now I have a great recipe for pudding!!! YEAH! You are so cute...what a fun world we can create. Your petits singes are just too cute for words! Anita

Unknown said...

Hello Ms. Sheila,

How clever you are using paper towels for whipped cream and soapy suds. I thoroughly enjoyed your description and photos.

Condensed cows? Haha! Thanks for the giggle.

Sending magical fairy wishes once again for a .•*˙˙*•.HaPPy PiNk SaTuRdaY!.•*˙˙*•.

Cheers! =D
~Kitty Kellie

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Sheila
You crack me up! What a cute post and quite the imagination and sweet sense of humor!
I love sock monkies too!
Hugs, Ann

Regina said...

How cute! You are very creative an funny.
Thanks for the recipe!

Happy Pink Saturday Sheila.
Cheers!

XO

Betty Jo said...

How fun and creative! You are an awesome story teller. This brings back such memories too, as my mother made the best banana pudding in the world. Every church dinner, people begged her to bring it, and she always did. ♥

CC said...

Hi sweet Sheila..
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your post..I smiled and laughed all the way through at the antics of Freddie. I never realized that sock monkeys have so much personality on their own..the one in the black hat is so cute,and
well I've fallen in love with a sock monkey in a black hat. I'm not sure what that says about me..but how can it be good??? I just so loved your post,your story and all your sweet friends.. Happy Pink Saturday..

Terri Morse said...

Sheila, that was incredible! You are so creative. You could make a book from that post. It's so cute the way you set the table, and I couldn't help but laugh about the wet paper towel whipped cream! Thank you for making me smile! Have a wonderful weekend and thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words. Hugs, Terri

Wendy said...

That is the cutest post! Mitzy and Freddie are adorable! I am going to share this with the kids! They'll love it :)

Kate @ Sensational Color said...

So very creative! I really enjoyed the post.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Sheila Sweetie...
This is just the cutest darn post ever. I love sock monkeys and what you did with them, just precious. A beautiful table setting, dishes, loved the little sock monkey ceramics (just darling).

I have to tell you this was every bit as cute as the nanna puddin recipe you supplied. Made me hungry for some, I am getting the ingredients and making some for when the crowds come tomorrow for the game. A great thing to serve.

Loved all the silver too. I saw that one monkey trying to make off with your precious silver. Good thing you kept an eye on them.

Made my heart so happy. Thanks for sharing. Country hugs and so much love...Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheilla,
This is a long and humorous post. Thanks to share and make me smile.
Happe a nice weekend.

Kathleen said...

That it is so cute! And your pics are so clear! Fun post, Sheila!

caren said...

OMGoodness! I don't know where to start to comment it was all darling. I must say the way you did the bathtub was wonderful. Happy PS!

Jenny said...

Sheila!
What a sweet and cozy monkey filled post. I loved your props. Just super, super cute! Thanks for the Saturday smile!

Dogmom Diva said...

Sheila, I think that is your bestest post yet! Love the sock monkeys and love the love story..what beautiful things you have.
Thanks for stopping by today...have a wonderful weekend..

Barb

Glennis said...

What fun, Sheila!! I love your food stylings for sockpuppets - perfect!

Sue@MyArtsDesire said...

Sheila!
YOU ARE TOO MUCH! Love your fun, twisted, --wait, I didn't say twisted sense of humor, did I? These photos and your entertaining story are the best! We need more Sheila's in the world. Thank you for the sunshine and smiles you always seem to splash wherever you go! xo Sue

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just too cute daughter...Oh girl I just love how you did all this...Glad to see your wit back once again...Good luck with your fundraisers...I did a ton of those for Lions club and the Blind center...Happy weekend my dear...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Gwendolen Elaine said...

Adorable! How do you find the time with all those monkeys in the house?

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely DELIGHTFUL post! I agree with Bernie ... YOU do seem to possess marvelous storytelling telling skills and I doff my 'storyteller' hat to you. Perhaps I should give you the title since I seem to have given up storytelling for photography of late.

As you may know (or not) I've used my my quota of photo uploads with Blogger and (in order to be able to share more photos at Small Reflections and Sacred Ruminations) I've created a second 'administrator' using the name Happily Retired Gal (since most folks already know me as HRG from my WordPress blog) anyway. Hopefully this won't be too confusing a transition for everyone.

Anyway ... I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this post and now I plan to see what else I've missed while I've been busy with my sister. Hope all is well with you and yours ;-)
Hugs and blessings,

Dixie said...

girl... you are sure up to some monkey business today! LOL

thanks for the belly laugh.. I almost peed my pants (shhhhh, but tell anybody... okay?)

hugs sweet lady. Dixie

sherri@lavenderfields said...

What a romantic little tale!! I just love those little monkeys!! Mitzy looks absolutely adorable having her bath! And I just love the little shopping cart!! And the table is too too cute! I just love it all! I wish I could come and play with all your toys!!! You always put so much work into your posts Sheila! That's what makes them so wonderful and why people always want more!! Your break doesn't sound like much of a break but I hope you are enjoying everything that is keeping you busy!! Have a great weekend and thanks for this wonderful little story!! Sherri : )

Charlotte said...

Hi Sheila....this was so very very funny....You put so much time and effort into it...I applaud you for keeping the blogging community entertained..I really enjoyed it...Did Chatty tell you us ladies will be getting together in April again...we will let you know the date...how wonderful that would be to see you in Atlanta!! Sue.

Tricia said...

I love sock monkeys - have a small collection. And banana pudding is my favorite. I don't dare make it or I'll eat the entire dish. One of those things I just can't control! Thanks for visiting my blog - sorry I didn't get my pink sat. post up. But I'd love to hear all your tips on Scotland!

I'll email you.

Blessings,
Tricia

Betty said...

I enjoyed your story and the sock monkeys! Adorable. That was so much fun. Happy Pink Saturday!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I'll have to look up Old Master. My silver is "Wild Rose" by International. It was my grandmother's.
XX00

Rettabug said...

What a hoot! You're creative mind must have been working in overdrive to come up with this post, Shelia. I'm cracking up!
Thanks for the recipes & the laughs. :D

~CC Catherine said...

Hey Sweet Sheila! Only you could be MIA and have 102 comments on your post. What a fan base you have Sweet Friend, and it's evident as to why. I adore the monkey business story, what a love story. :) And, the banana puddin sounds divine. I have a recipe that someone once made that I also fell in love with called, "Not Yo Mama's Banana Puddin". It may be a Paula Dean recipe, don't know for sure. Well...I adore the part of the story where Freddie just can't get outta bed...hahaha! You should write childrens story books, this was precious, and I'm a biggie person! :) Your pics are precious. Hugs friend~ ~CC Catherine

Betzie said...

Hi Sheila!
We had no internet due to snow and more snow yesterday, but FINALLY it came back on TODAY! Soooo had to run over to visit and so gald I did!!!
You have been up to nothing but monkey business for sure! You bad girl! LOL Wow, those pics and that story was OH SO CUTE!!!!!!!!! I had such fun reading and seeing every detail...I do hope you aren't missing any silver though, I thought I saw Freddie slip something when you weren't looking.
Great post and so much fun! xoxo Betzie

Tardevil said...

Sheila, you crack me up! How creative you are. I think I'd stick to the easy banana pudding. My mom use to make those homemade ones on Saturday nights, so they'd be ready for lunch after church. But, they have way too many steps for me! Have a good week!

P.S. I just figured out you weren't on my dashboard. I don't know how that happened. Probably my old brain having a synapse. I wondered why I never saw your updates. I'll fix that!

Shirl said...

Hello, I'm still making my Pink Saturday visits. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. What a cute story and nanner puddin' looks delish!
Have a great week.
Blessings to ya! Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Carrie Ann Eddleman said...

This post is so cute, I love sock monkeys. I'm a new follower, and I look forward to reading more of these.

Carrie

Glo said...

Love it! Such an adorable story! The food looked good, the table settings beautiful, Mitzy's outfit was divine, and Freddie...well, he's just too cute! Sort of makes me want to be a sock monkey!

susan said...

Sheila-Did you see the sock monkeys in the KIA superbowl ad? Not as cute as Freddie and Mitzi!

Maria Berg said...

109 comments - I know you have a lot of friends and that make me even more happy that you take the time to come and visit me.

So the monky has been around ag aften waken up got the bath and get all the things from the shop and then you help with the banana pudding.

You have ahd fun, good!!!

Love, MB

Melissa Miller said...

You are so creative and just hiliarious Sheila! LOL!

I just laughed all the way through this post. Freddie it too precious for words. I just loved seeing him wake up and shop at Publix. That shopping cart...HEHEHE!!!

~Blessings my friend. ~Melissa :)

Dawn said...

I'm so glad you took a break from house repairs and fundraising. You are so entertaining.

I thought of you yesterday during the superbowl when one of the commercial featured a real live man sized sock monkey. I hope you saw it. I don't even remember who it was for.

Hugs,
Dawn

Rettabug said...

Shelia, I thought of you immediately when that commercial with the sock monkey driving the car & kite boarding came on the Super Bowl!!! I'm so glad your team won! Woo-Hoo!

Dena Pickle said...

Oh honey! Those sock monkeys give me such a giggle! I'm so glad you didn't show up on the wrong night! LOL!
I couldn't tell you this before because I'm such a silly and I read your list of things you had to do and didn't want you to think I was trying to one up you (or major denial?)...but I found out a week ago that my mother has lung cancer and has been given 4 months. She is in SC and I'm in NC so I will be traveling there quite a bit and will be missing my blog and my blog friends so much! Add us to your list of prayers.

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Did you see me turn a cartwheel? :) Are you warmed up now? I was thinking about you yesterday since it's been so cold down your way! Thanks for popping in to see me, Dear One.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sue said...

Hello Dear Friend thank you for your well wishes but most of all your prayers.
Hugs,
Sue

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Sheila,
What a precious post! You are so clever!!!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

" executed in a bamboo pattern (the tea set, not his aunt)"...HAHAHAHAHA! ;-)

Do you have that many sock monkeys?! If so I am incredibly jealous. And Annie, Freddy, Mitzy...every time one of your "friends" is featured in a post I feel like you bring them to life...and I don't know what that says about me, lol!!

I should also say that I usually have the volume on my computer off...for no reason, I just do. And tonight I had it turned up and arrived at your home to my faaaavvvvorite rendition of When the Saints.... Go Louis! Geaux Saints! (WHAT a game!) Go Mrs. Magpie! :-)

Have an amazing week! xo, Laura

Lorrie said...

This is such a fun, whimsical post Sheila, as I've said in the past, you are a terrific story teller my dear.

Thanks for sharing the banana pudding recipes. It's a favorite comfort food of mine, and I don't mind making the custard at all.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

What a dear post!I have a hankerin` to make some sock dolls now.The recipes sound yummy,thank-you for making me laugh at loud today,phylliso

tattytiara said...

That was so charming, and those place settings are so cool!

Judi said...

Hi Sheila
That was quite the post. Very sweet. Your little monkey family is adorable and the story was too. The table was set up in quite the tablescape with the darling dishes...and the banana pudding looks delightful...all versions of it.

Thank you for sharing
Hope you are getting all your stuff done so you can come back and play and visit..
*hugs*
Judi

Mollye said...

Hey Sheila girl, I am laughing and smiling and having so much fun and I also remember the monkey song. They were just having way too much fun. Miss you and will visit again soon when I get back home, XXMollye

Cathy said...

A wonderful post Sheila. I was smiling the whole way through it. You've completely brightened my day. Many thanks.

Michelle said...

Such a cute post! Loved all the monkeys, each and every one!

The Bamboo china is adorable and loved the silver palms!

Anita Diaz said...

That is the cutest and most creative thing I have ever seen!! I have to show my children, they will go crazy! Thanks for stopping by! I do love those old silver patterns so much. Yours is just beautiful too!

Oliver said...

Hi
Monkey business seems funny relly like your blog
Love
Oliver

sunnymama said...

Such a romantic pair of monkeys! A very cute and fun post. :)

nannykim said...

ah ha....I found this post!! cute monkeys and i love the little chairs and table--tooo coooool!