I'm joining Diane at A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words in her blog's very own Trash to Treasure Tuesday feature. My treasure's picture and its history are posted below. If you'd like to see the other treasures or post your own, you can get to Diane's blog by clicking on this link:
http://diane1876.blogspot.com/
For my Trash to Treasure find last week (which Diane kindly posted for me since I didn't have a blog running), I had a photograph of some wooden fishing lures my husband found in the attic of a tiny Victorian cottage we bought to save from the wrecking ball. I'm not sure of their age, but several fishing buffs have offered to take them off of our hands. ;-)
That same wonderful husband (who, by the way, hates to shop) found this next Trash to Treasure item as well. This time he was going for a jog, and low and behold, a former neighbor across the street (the kind of neighbor who even vacuums her grass!) had put two Adirondack chairs out on the curb with the trash. One chair had a tiny bit of rot on the arm, and the other had a tiny bit on the back from being out in the elements and having water drip on them (I think from a canopy). Other than that, they were in great shape. Their small blemishes = an easy-peasy fix with some wood putty. So, my hubby walked back in the house, and told me about them. I said, "Hurry quick or someone will have them in their car!" He got one back inside, and then as he lifted the other from the curb, he saw a woman stop her car and look back longingly. As sorry as I felt for her, I was ecstatic that we got these because we really needed them for a porch.
We have enjoyed these chairs for years, and they've been painted both a dark green for a previous beach cottage, and now they are painted sort of a custom historic color that's not quite Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy (but close) that was approved for our current place before we bought it. They sit upstairs on a back balcony and are one of the most comfortable spots in the house. It's a great place for morning coffee. Our guests love them and the spot. That plant stand in the photo appeared there out of who knows where and ended up who knows where. ;-)
I'm very proud of these babies. New ones are about $100 apiece at Home Goods (I think that's where I last saw one, a cute red one), and they could have been more. That's why I felt like these were a good day's haul from the curb! So without further ado, I'd like to present my Trash to Treasure find for this week:
http://diane1876.blogspot.com/
For my Trash to Treasure find last week (which Diane kindly posted for me since I didn't have a blog running), I had a photograph of some wooden fishing lures my husband found in the attic of a tiny Victorian cottage we bought to save from the wrecking ball. I'm not sure of their age, but several fishing buffs have offered to take them off of our hands. ;-)
That same wonderful husband (who, by the way, hates to shop) found this next Trash to Treasure item as well. This time he was going for a jog, and low and behold, a former neighbor across the street (the kind of neighbor who even vacuums her grass!) had put two Adirondack chairs out on the curb with the trash. One chair had a tiny bit of rot on the arm, and the other had a tiny bit on the back from being out in the elements and having water drip on them (I think from a canopy). Other than that, they were in great shape. Their small blemishes = an easy-peasy fix with some wood putty. So, my hubby walked back in the house, and told me about them. I said, "Hurry quick or someone will have them in their car!" He got one back inside, and then as he lifted the other from the curb, he saw a woman stop her car and look back longingly. As sorry as I felt for her, I was ecstatic that we got these because we really needed them for a porch.
We have enjoyed these chairs for years, and they've been painted both a dark green for a previous beach cottage, and now they are painted sort of a custom historic color that's not quite Benjamin Moore's Hale Navy (but close) that was approved for our current place before we bought it. They sit upstairs on a back balcony and are one of the most comfortable spots in the house. It's a great place for morning coffee. Our guests love them and the spot. That plant stand in the photo appeared there out of who knows where and ended up who knows where. ;-)
I'm very proud of these babies. New ones are about $100 apiece at Home Goods (I think that's where I last saw one, a cute red one), and they could have been more. That's why I felt like these were a good day's haul from the curb! So without further ado, I'd like to present my Trash to Treasure find for this week:
His and Hers Adirondack Chairs
Quintessentially yours,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)




37 comments:
Hi Shelia,
I love those chairs...and they are comfortable too! They look great on your porch.
I had some built a few years ago, and if I remember correctly I paid at least 50 bucks each...and that was cheap because I knew the family!
Thanks for participating...and I'm enjoying your blog! You are off to a great start!
diane
These were an exceptionally good treasure to find...and the price (free) was even better! Your porch looks lovely from what I could see in the photo. ;-) Bo
Diane -- that's a great price you got on your chairs, too! We've had these for about fifteen years outside, and they've held up pretty well. But they're under shelter. Looks like I need to put some more paint on them from the photo. LOL! You see things in pictures you never see in real life. Thanks, too, for the well wishes on the blog. I'm glad you're enjoying it because I really enjoy yours!
Bo -- thank you so much for dropping in this evening! It's very nice to meet you, and I'll be sure to drop by your place tomorrow in return. I'm glad you liked my chairs. :-)
XO,
Sheila
What a great T to T! Your hubby is truly a master of Dumpster diving! And you blog looks wonderful,I am so jealous ;)
Beautiful chairs, Sheila ... and a perfect complement for that pretty porch. I can see why your guests love it.
Sincerely,
Janie
Lady Jane -- Thank you so much for dropping by to see me, and welcome to my little bird house! It's nice to meet you! I was very proud of my husband with this find. I had to laugh, though, because he hates to shop more than anything on earth, but he loves to find something wonderful for free on the curb! His mother was an antiques dealer at one point, and some of it must have rubbed off on him. I keep hoping. ;-) Again thanks for your visit, and I hope you'll come see me again. I plan to visit you soon.
Janie -- Good Morning! Good Morning! I was so glad to wake up to your comment. :-) If you're ever down this way, you know you're welcome to come drink coffee with me out on that porch! Your chair awaits. I'll be over to see your treasure soon.
Sheila, those are great finds!! And by the curb too, you can't beat that. Good for you, getting them in the car in time & now you've had them for many years.
Sheila, I adore your story about your curbside treasure. Your hubby is a better shopper than he thinks. The chairs look awesome on your balcony. His and hers, you made me smile in envy.
Hugs...Jeanne
Oh, and I just went back to read the sweet potato/fabric post & it's too cute! You're so witty, Sheila my dear. I'm sure Dot will see it soon & love it!
Hi Sheila, thanks for stopping by today. I love your Adironack chairs! I am originally from upstate New York where they are very popular. They are so comfortable too.
Trash Day is the greatest way to pick up new treasures. In my town growing up they had "bulk trash day" twice a year when people put large items out on their curb for collection. Everybody rode around in their cars checking out other peoples trash looking for treasures. My brothers brought home a jukebox once--we had it for years!
Rhoda -- I think he gets a big gold star for these two, don't you? Lawyer by day, trashpicker by night! Only it was in the morning. LOL! ;-) Thanks for stopping by. I don't think I need to tell you how much I love you, but I will and I do. Lots. {{{great BIG hugs}}}
Jeanne -- Welcome! Welcome! I just paid you a visit and loved your centerpiece! I like how you teamed the two pieces for impact, and you can't beat those prices! I love those little letters that stand up like that. I saw one the other day that said, "Imagine," and when I walked away and then back to get it, some other shopper had it in her cart. But I'm on the lookout for more. I like that yours says PEACE, and how lovely for the Christmas season coming.
Thank you so much for dropping by! Please come back to visit. :-)
Lorrie -- So glad you stopped by! And I love NY -- upstate, the City, all of it! In our first beach cottage, we had an enclosed porch that wrapped two sides of it, and it had wood shake walls. So we went with sort of a rustic, cabin look in that area -- much like what you'd think of in an Adirondaks cabin.
I would be in heaven on trash day. That's a wonderful idea. Sure wish they did it here. And a jukebox! Now that really is a treasure.
Hope you'll come visit again!
XO,
Sheila
Sheila! Are you really such a new blogger? Welcome to bloggyland if you are. I love your Magpie description of yourself :0)
Now someone made a big mistake to throw those chairs out! Boy but how lucky you are that your husband retrieved them. They are fabulous!!
I love the color of the chairs. Isn't it great to find stuff out of the trash and make them part of your home with a little paint? Great job! Tell your husband he needs to jog with a wagon or dolly so he can keep bringing home things. You know how those ladies with cars and longingly look backs are!
I have always loved Adirondack chairs and that a great find... FREE! I'd love to have some neighbors like yours put things out on the curb (which doesn't happen in our neck of the woods) or garage sales like Diane goes to.
Such a great post of a real Trash to Treasure. Just think with just "an easy-peasy fix" and you have true gems!
( I love these cute phrases I find in blogworld:)
Beth
Sheila, I forgot to mention that the castle in my header is from North Wales, Conwy Castle. We really do love Scotland too and hope to get back there sometime soon!
Hi Sheila, I'm a Shelia too! Oh, what beautiful chairs! And the color is just perfect! Thanks for coming to see my tablescape.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
I love adirondack chairs - they are a cottage staple here :-) What a wonderful colour yours are! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and your kind comment.
Thanks for dropping by my blog. I like your chairs - have a couple of those myself - just didn't go "diving" for them - I like your way better! PAM
Ellen -- Thanks for popping over and your sweet comments! I loved the header on your blog so much that I went back for a second look and realized it's Wales and not Scotland like I had thought. It's so lovely! And I loved your treasure, too. May I borrow (aka HAVE) that lamp?
I have been blogging for several months, just not on my own blog. I like to flit from blog to blog to oooh and aaaah and leave love notes.
Mr. Magpie is a pretty good sport, and he has a great eye for things (inherited). When I've managed to drag (and I mean drag) him out shopping, he always spots the neatest treasures.
Please come back to visit! Loved having you here! :-)
Southerner -- Welcome, you smart thing! I want you to know You helped me more than you know. I need to redo a lamp I have, and you've given me the inspiration to do it with your makeover trash to treasure!
And I'm going to race out right now and get a dolly for Mr. Magpie. I had thought about a little goat cart (which I happen to have), but it's kind of rickety, much like it's owner.
Thanks so much for stopping over, and I saw on your blog that you are from Alabama which I love dearly. Please come back to chat!
Beth -- Welcome to my little nest! And how do I love your chair makeover? Let me count the ways! I'm now convinced I can rescue some chairs need rehab. The toile set yours off perfectly with the new paint.
Normally, we don't have good stuff in our trash, but every now and then, it's Christmas! I can't promise you curbside finds, but if you want good shells, I know the best beach in Florida for those.
Thanks so much for flying in all the way from California! Hope you'll feel free to perch again.
XO,
Sheila
Okay, girls, you snuck in while I was posting to the other three!
Shelia -- I'm so happy you flew in for a chat. Your table was so pretty, and I love to use things I have. I've done a whole table with children's books, baby cups, and stuffed animals for a birthday, so your table held great appeal to me.
Your blog is very appealing, too, and I love how you have the music on there. A childhood buddy is also a church orangist. My taste is very eclectic, and I love all sorts of music (in terms of church music, I enjoy both the hymns and contemporary songs) I guess that's why the Lord made such an infinite variety. :-)
Thanks so much for your sweet comments, and I hope to see you again. We need to start the Shelia/Sheila club! ;-)
Deb -- Ahoy in Canada! Now is your banner stunning or what!? Oh, how I love the colors in it, and how much I enjoyed what you did what that tray! I have an old silverplate tray that needs to either be replated or given a nice coat of blackboard paint. After seeing yours, I think I'll opt for the latter choice.
So glad you stopped by for a chat and hope you'll come back. You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth, and your banner proves it!
Pam -- Welcome! I'm tickled at this because if you all knew how totally dignified my husband is (starched shirts, khakis with creases, never a hair out of place, and sober as a judge) you can imagine my delight when he suggested that he get those chairs out of the T-R-A-S-H! I, on the other hand, am an unmade bed who can't even go ten feet without rumaging around through trash, junk stores, antique shops, flea markets, filling stations (yes, I once went to a filling aka gas station/antique shop), or whatever else looks tempting. ;-)
The chairs always make me smile because he was so very proud of himself, and I was proud of him, too. That gives them a lot of added value. :-)
But that ladder of yours... if you were here, I'd trade you in a heart beat! It's so cute, and you were able to divide and conquer with it. Good going, girl!
So glad you flitted in from Kansas and hope you will come visit us in Florida again!
XO,
Sheila
Sheila, those chairs are terrific! And FREE!! What a great find for sure.
Penny
Thanks, Penny! They are very comfortable and pratical because they get a lot of weather living where they do outside in salt air. They reside at a Victorian house, and while wicker would be more appropriate, our wicker pieces didn't do very well. Hence, wooden pieces have worked better for us.
I can see these painted a nice festive red for another house. I think Kim has one over at Daisy Cottage, and a designer friend has a pair, too. There are some I saw in a shop that are really fun for Florida... the backs have palm trees, sailboats, or pelicans. Another one I saw had the whole back shaped like a fish. And if I ever find them in the trash, I will be very, very, VERY excited. ;-)
Can't wait to visit your blog. Thanks for coming by to visit me. Hope you'll come back and visit again!
XO,
Sheila
Hi Shelia
I love your chairs! I would have grabbed them too if I saw someone throwing them away.
I'm so happy you opened your blog! Everything looks great!
Hugs, Pat
Thanks for stopping in and saying Hello....this is a crazy week or two for me,but I have your blog marked to visit again! and (lol)....na-na-na-na bo-bo..I bet I have more fabirc!
And hey new blog bud,you can be a birdie on my branch anytime!
Hi Sheila! First of all, Welcome to Blogland! Your blog looks great! Already look like a pro! :) Can't wait to see what more you have to share! And the chairs are fabulous! Love the color! Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I'll be back! :) ~Rhonda
Oh, and great blog name! :)
Those chairs look very comfy and great on your porch!
I'm so envious!! I've always wanted some of those chairs. I won't even try to spell it cause I always get it wrong. LOL.
Thanks for visitng my blog today. I love getting to meet new bloggers.:)
Pat -- I'm so delighted to see you!!! I think you know that I was hooked on your blog from the second I read the word NYC and saw pictured there the world's most delicious Italian food. Hey, I'm up for adoption! :-)
Now that you've found my little nest, I hope you'll visit me again. I think you know I'll be back to see you! I'll follow the aroma of something wonderful cooking on your stove!
Lady Jane -- Something tells me that the two of us could get into some SERIOUS trouble together. I only put a wee sampling on that SPB post. We're talking bolts plural. ;-) But I can imagine that you have a nice stash yourself. I have never met a fine fabric I didn't like, and I have a feeling I've met my match with you. And for sure, I'll hop back over to your house to play! Fabric, Christmas trees, and what else??? This could be very dangerous. ;-)
Rhonda -- I certainly enjoyed visiting your house on the net today! And if that precious dog comes up missing with that cute face and its little stuffed-animal preciousness, you'll know a magpie thought he was a mighty shiny object! Thanks for dropping by, and I look forward to visiting with you again. :-)
Jan -- Thanks for the compliment, and I enjoyed seeing your wonderful lamps on your dresser. You did such a good job making them fit your decor. And the price was definitely right. :-) I want to come back over and check out your prayer list. I like to pray for people, too. Again, thanks for the visit and please come back and see us again. I'd love that! :-)
Kelli -- I'm laughing because I kept thinking all day that I had spelled it wrong, too! I didn't want to offend anyone from NY who knows how to spell it. Is it Adirondak? I hope that's right. I looked it up, but know I'm not sure. :-/
It was a pleasure visiting you today, and I loved your books. I can't imagine the work that would go into the leather on them. Great find. :-) I hope you'll come back to visit now that you know where I am. I plan to do the same.
XO to all,
Sheila
Those are a great curb-side score!
great job with the chairs! i also want to tell you that i would not have been just looking longingly at the chair your husband was carrying. if i were that woman, i would have been fighting your husband for those chairs!!! LOL
you did a great job refinishing them and i love the color you painted them!
Joy -- Thank you for returning the visit! I'm so glad you dropped by. I really enjoyed your trash to treasure find! Love your blog, too. Hope to see you again!
Mary Anne -- Hey there! :-) You are too funny. I can just see Mr. Magpie running with a chair in his arms, with you on his heels, but he moves pretty fast. ;-) As to the color, it matches one of the trim colors on the house. It's a Victorian with several different colors. These were approved before we bought it. So glad you stopped by.
XO,
Sheila
It's odd what people will just through out isn't? That was a great score! They look great on your porch and I LoVE that porch floor!
Manuela
We couldn't believe they were in the trash either, Manuela, but this girl couldn't stand blemishes. I think it gives things character. She was stunned when my husband wanted them, and he said we'd always wanted some. Truly, one man's junk... :-)
The porch floor is a Benjamin Moore porch paint. The house is a Victorian, and it had the colors approved when we bought it so we left it when we painted again. It was easier than trying to change. They look rather intense in the picture, but because of the light, they look great in the location.
That litle porch has French doors that open from one room and a door from another. It's a nice, cozy spot. I wish I had my email linked, and I would tell you a very funny story about something we saw from the balcony. Not telling on here. :-)
When I figure it out, I'll put a link up. Of course, we may all be gone on to the great reward by that point. LOL!
Sheila
Wow, how lucky can you get? I love the blue you have them painted, too.
My very first blog entry was about the cool things people put out in their trash, and how I sometimes lie awake wondering what treasures are out there waiting to be found. Or, as I more accurately described it in my post, I have GAS ... Garbage Acquisition Syndrome :o)
Please stop by my blog and pick up a free copy of my new cookbook, "Finish The Feast: Leftover Turkey They'll Love To Eat!" It's filled with yummy recipes and is suitable for printing and giving as a gift.
Hugs,
Victoria
Victoria, I was getting ready to turn in when I saw your note, and I flew over to your blog to download the cookbook. Not sure my new computer allowed me to do it, but I will be back. It's so neat. Thank you very, very much, and thank you, too, for coming over to visit me here. Hope you'll come back. Oh, and I love your wreaths!
XO,
Sheila
What a great find! I'm going to have keep my eyes peeled around curbs! :)
Ms. Tee, we were very happy to find these. The other day, some friends of mine were throwing out a table, and I convinced them otherwise. Maybe I goofed. I should have put on my trash-picker hat! ;-)
XO,
Sheila
Post a Comment