Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands...
Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing...
Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name...
For the LORD is good...

His mercy is everlasting...
And his truth endureth to all generations.

Shortly after Easter, I attended a mass for a friend's mother at this beautiful Catholic Church in Pensacola. From the moment I glimpsed the building, I could hardly wait to enter the doors. It had a copper roof that the salt air had aged to the most amazing verde gris color. Nor was I disappointed upon entering. From the first second, I was transfixed by how lovely everything was. My pictures simply do not do it justice. They were hastily snapped so as not to be rude.
The arched window was to the side of the narthex, and I was so focused on taking a decent photograph of it in a hurry, that I failed to see what the glass actually said. Upon closer examination when I was preparing this post, I realized the window contained the words of the Apostles' Creed. And what a comfort they have always been to me as they are right now!

Looking back through the photos, I could not help but think of my maternal grandmother, the Quintessential Methodist Church Lady, who could not wait to enter the doors of the church. I inherited that from her. And like the 100th Psalm states above, I still have the thrill of anticipation when I enter the Lord's house... be it a Gothic edifice, a humble clapboard, or an outdoor stadium. To enter His gates, and even more so His courts, is something that never ceases to thrill my heart, and I cannot even imagine how much more thrilling it will be to enter His heavenly gates and courts!
I am particularly aware of this because last Friday, Amy, the only daughter of one of my favorite bloggers (Debbie of There's An Angel on My Front Porch), went home to be with the Lord. After months of prayer and vigil from both her loving family and the blogging community and a brave battle against cancer that lasted for a number of years and drew the attention and respect of everyone who knew her, Amy now knows the thrill of what it means to enter the gates of Heaven, something that must be more magnificent, more wonderful than our hearts could ever imagine!
While I weep with precious Debbie and her family over this tragic loss of life here on earth, I know with all assurance that Amy's belief in the Lord gave her and her loved ones the blessed assurance that Amy is going to spend eternal life in a place where there is no more death, no more suffering, and no more sorrow, sickness, or pain. I don't just think this is true, I know it is true, just as I know that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. We have the Lord's own assurance, and for that I am forever grateful.

Thank you, Father, for that peace that passes all understanding that keeps our hearts and minds in the knowledge and love of our Savior and Lord, Christ Jesus.
For the LORD is good! His mercy is everlasting! And His truth endureth to all generations! Amen.

Debbie with her daughter Amy (born on July 6, 1976 -- went home to be with the Lord on October 23, 2009)
Please take a moment if you will to send your condolences to Debbie and her family. In addition to Debbie, some of you may know Sherry of Country Wings in Phoenix or Heidi of Fairy Footprints. Sherry is Amy's aunt, and Heidi is her cousin. There is an online register you may sign at the funeral home. The funeral is today at 2:00 p.m. (Central Time). Click here for the link which I would assume will be up for a while. Please note that there is a button where you may opt not to have your email address published online.
Blessings to you, today and always...
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)




51 comments:
I couldn't get the link to work but condolences to all of Debbie's friends and family. Your post was beautiful. So sorry for your loss.
Thank you for the link. What a beautiful memorial, to remember Amy with such gorgeous pics.
I will tell you how to fix your blog in a bit, as a mom, I'm having a moment right now and don't think I could type correctly through the tears.
A beautiful post. My thoughts and prayers are with Amy's family.
That is heart breaking. I am without words. I can not imagine such a loss. Too young...way, way too young...
What a beautiful post... Thank you for sharing your inspiring thoughts, and for the photos of that magnificient stained glass window!
It is wonderful to experience the love and support of other bloggers in time of loss.
This was so beautiful, Sheila! Oh, I agree with you - we do have the hope and assurance we'll see our loved ones again some day. My heart breaks for Debbie and her family but their faith is strong and they know there will be a glad reunion day!
You're an angel. Love you,
shelia ;)
Sheila~~
Thank you for a beautiful post. The church is utterly stunning. I would be thrilled and honored to attend mass there.
I heard about Amy and my heart aches. I truly thought she might make it through the last setback. Thank you so much for the links.
xoxo
Janie
what a beautiful church! i will head on over to debbies blog and offer her my deepest condolences.
Hi Sheila
Thank you for this beautiful post. The church is lovely and I can almost feel the peace and tranquility through your pictures. I will remember your friend in my prayers.
Lindsay
x
What a lovely tribute.
I hadn't heard that yet. How heartbreaking.
The words that you have written, are as beautiful as Amy. May Debbie find solace in your wonderful friendship, and the condolences from the blogging community.
I am so sorry to hear that!
sandy toe
My heart is heavy for them. I prayed for sweet Amy too, but the celebrating she is doing now!
Beautiful post...
Lou Cinda :)
Its' a beautiful church Sheila. I don't know Debbie but I do know Amy's aunt Sherry. What a huge loss for their family. Your tribute was absolutely beautiful.
What a post, Sheila. I can feel the reverence I know I'd feel being inside that beautiful church. I could just sit and soak all that beauty and peace in.
Amy is just beautiful, I'm sure even more so now that she's Home. Bless her mother's heart! I'll def stop by her blog.
I know I had something else I wanted to say to ya but, I forgot :( Oh well, c'est la age ;)
Oh, Sheila, what a beautiful church! You really captured it's essence & I was loving your scripture quoting all down the page. Amen!
So sorry about Debbie's loss of Amy. I don't think I've met her before.
My blog is still in process of being moved, so I hope it transfers in a couple more days. Don't think I will be down after all, just wanted to be sure I warned everyone. I had to change my host site, the other one wasn't very reliable. Thanks!
Sweet Shelia,
What a lovely and well spoken tribute from your heart for Debbie and her family. Sweet Amy who has gone through so much in her short life.
I pray these scriptures will bring them the sweet assurance along with the holy spirit of how TRUE these words are. We will live with our Master again, I too know this to be true!
As a mom, my tears run and heart aches for Debbie of the lost of her daughter's companionship in this life. It really hit home when I read Amy's birthdate. She is just a couple days older than our son. Scott, who is holding his baby son in my last post.
Many prayers for and love to her family.
Might I also add to you, my dear friend, "Do YOU know how special YOU are???
OH my! Much LOVE to you!
~♥
Sheila, only you could find the words to express such a beautiful and loving tribute to Amy. I know it will be a source of comfort to Debbie and her family in the days to come. My heart goes out to them, and I will keep them in my prayers.
Hi Sheila...What a beautiful post! Your photos of the church are wonderful and I am sure that your words to Amy's family will comfort them. Such a beautiful tribute!...Debbie
What beautiful windows! I didn't know about Amy. I knew she was very sick. She is exactly in the middle of my two daughters, born in 1974 and 1978. So sad for her family. Gone way too young.
Brenda
Sheila this is a lovely and moving tribute to Amy. My heart is heavy for her family, but as Shelia said, I am so thankful that they grieve with the hope of those who know the Lord.
The photos of the stained-glass window of the Apostle's Creed is luminous and worthy of being framed.
Very beautiful post Shelia, The Ragan family have been and are in my prayers.
Blessings,
Sue
Beautiful. Just. Beautiful.
God bless Debbie and her family, my prayers are with them.
Beautiful post, Sheila. I'm so sorry to hear about Amy (she's near to my two older son's age), I just can't even imagine Debbie's pain at this loss. My heart breaks for her.
She and her family are in my thoughts and prayers.
I love this post, and I love the reminder of the Promise of Our Lord.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
Sheila, I am also heartbroken about Amy...to lose a child, I can't even imagine. But to know that she is in the arms of our Lord, sitting at His feet, and looking at His glory, what a miracle that is! My heart aches for Debbie, and I'm praying for her and the family. God will bring peace and comfort, but I know that she also is comforted by our love for her and Amy. She was a beautiful girl, so precious...she will be missed.
God bless you for this beautiful post in honor of sweet Amy Dawn.
Mary
How lovely. Your post for Amy is just beautiful. You are blessed to be so fortunate to love God so profoundly. Thank you for continually sharing your strong love for God and for always being there with words of kindness and faith for those of us who stumble and fall. I am so blessed to know you through our blogging community of friends.
Oh Mrs. Magpie
Your words are so beautiful.
I couldn't get the link to work. My thoughts are also with the family. I didn't know them as much as you, but just to know how much she was loved... makes it just a little better.
Your photo's of the Catholic Church are stunning. Did I tell you I was Catholic?... I don't think so.
Bless your beautiful heart Mrs. Magpie & Amy's family.
Love Claudie
xoxoxoxoxoxo
Sending Love and Light as I type. Celebrate all that is good.
Beautiful beautiful post, Sheila.
What sad news Sheila, but sad only for those left behind, because Amy truly rests in the arms of the Lord now.
I know this is true also, because my Dad passed away suddenly and tragically when I was young. The shock was so hard, but when I saw him for the first time at his wake I felt a sudden rush go through me, and I know it was his spirit telling me he was OK and a feeling of peace came over me. I wish the same for Amy's family, and I will keep them in my prayers.
My Dear Mrs. Magpie,
DO YOU KNOW HOW SPECIAL YOU ARE AND HOW MUCH YOU ARE LOVED!
Thank you for all your prayers, inspiration and encouragement on some very dark days.
My ONLY comfort is that she is resting in the arms of JESUS where NO more pain, No more sickness, NO more sadness will ever touch her again, and I will hug and kiss her forehead again when I arrive in heaven.
BEAUTIFUL POST FROM THE HEART.
ANGEL HUGS
LOVE
Debbie
Sheila, WHat a beautiful church, I am catholic, but our church is for now a converted barn, it is pretty but nothing like this one! How sad about Amy, I just cant imagine losing a child. Thanks for stopping by! I cant wait to add Christmas music to my blog, I was thinking Sunday, waiting until Halloween is over, lol, what do you think??? Thanks again for stopping by, I love comments, it is like getting a letter in the mail! Sue
What a beautiful tribute Sheila, and my prayers go to Debbie and her family. I've never seen such an unusual stained glass window in a church as the one of the Apostles' Creed, just gorgeous.
Beautiful, Sheila. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.
Hugs,
Donna
I send my love and think of you and the other as well. Maria Berg
Sheila,
This family has been on my mind, as well. Isn't it amazing how words on a screen bind our hearts to the life stories of others.
Praying for all of Amy's Family as they will surely miss this vibrant young woman.
Your photos in the church are lovely. I love stained glass and the architecture so often found in churches.
Becky K.
Such a lovely tribute for Amy and her family. I found out that Amy had slipped into a coma last Thursday evening, and went to be with the Lord on Friday. Debbie and her family need our prayers, their grief is great.
Karen
Hi Sheila what a beautiful tribute for Amy. I will hop on over to Sherry's site and leave her my condolences. The church is a beauty. Our church is the Cathedral of St. John Berchmans here in Shreveport and there is a virtual tour online if you ever have the time to visit. I believe it is www.sjbcathedral.org. That is where I retired from a couple of years ago and the stained glass is magnificent. Thanks for a poignant and lovely post. Mollye
I am so sorry to hear about Amy - how heartbreaking. My deepest sympathies for your loss.
Thanks so much for your message of sympathy, it was very much appreciated. I haven't been able to face replying till today.
God Bless you!
Big hugs, Susie
Wow Shelia what a beautiful post.
She is way to young. My thoughts and prayers are with you and her family.
That certainly is a beautiful church for such a beautiful service for a loved one. Condolences.
Hi Dear One! Oh, yes! I'm sure that's what happened to you - having picnics on crypts! Oh, my Sheilaness! You know I'm kidding!
I love ya.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
My prayers are with you and the family. Beautiful and uplifting picture of the windows!
What a beautiful tribute to Amy and a beautiful church. My thoughts are with Amy's family. xx
What a beautiful church Sheila. I wonder if i knew of it. My hubby and I met and got married in P'cola.
I was so sad and sorry to hear about Amy. She was a wonderful person. My prayers are with them.
Many Blessings, ~Melissa
Hi Sweet Friend, My heart aches for this family , Sheila, and I know Debbie will be blessed by this precious post. I cannot even begin to imagine the heartache, but know that the Lover of her soul will hold her in the palm of His hand and bathe her with His perfect peace and comfort. And Amy is dancing!! WOOHOO!! What a glorious day that will be!!
Your photos are lovely! I adore old churches, and take photos of them whenever I can!!
Loads of love to you!!
Becky
I do not have a horse but I love taking photos of them, so You will see more horse photos... MB Take care my friend.
Good evening Sheila, What a beautiful tribute to Amy! My thoughts and prayers are also with Amy and her family. The church is so beautiful. I too love to go to old and traditional churches. They are all so special and lovely. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us and for being the special person you are ♥
Beautiful tribute!
I am late in reading this post. It is beautiful and the church is gorgeous. I did not realize the stained glass had the Apostle's Creed either until you mentioned it. We say it in our church too with a slight change in the words. It has been modernized a little, but still the same basically. I found out Amy died after we left on our trip. That was the day we left. I was saddened to hear of it, but glad that Amy is now free of pain. Thank you for this beautiful post.
Hugs,
~Linnea
Post a Comment