Good Morning! Today is Blue Monday at my sweet friend Sally's blog, Smiling Sally , and I feel like I have been away for an eternity. I have missed you!
First, I want to share something a fellow blogger, Cherie of De Cherie, sent me a while back, and I was so touched. This was a "just because" present, and I think it was lovely of her. Since violets are "blue," (okay, I think they're really lavender, but we'll pretend) I thought this would be appropriate to share on Blue Monday.
Don't you just love presents? This one says right on the box: Pretties 4 U...
4 U must mean for me because there's my name...
And a sweet note with some blue on the front...
The note reads: "When we focus on the smaller things in life, the bigger stuff gets smaller too! Have a blessed day and week! Love, Cherie"...
Cherie sent this to me at a time in her life when her whole family was home sick with the flu. She told me that she wanted to do something nice for someone else, and I am so honored that she chose me as the recipient of her kindness. I took Cherie's words to heart and allowed a "little thing" named Annie to help me unwrap the packages. Annie is speechless with delight...

The first thing she unwrapped was this sweet little crocheted doilie! Isn't it cute? You can see it there in Annie's lap...
Uh, Annie, I think I detect something else under that doilie...

Are you hiding something from us??? If so, you'd better 'fess up now...

Oh, that explains it! Buttons! Annie is fixated on buttons. And Annie, you can take that doilie off of you head. That's not going to be used as your sleeping cap...
I think I'd better take over the actual unwrapping from here 'lest Annie get herself into more trouble. This note says, "Send a smile, send a tear, wipe it off, and hold it near. Blessings, Cherie"
Oh look, Annie, it's a handkerchief, and no, you may not make an apron out of it...
And it's a vintage hankie...
Look how nice this looks along with the doilie on our Victorian secretary...
And would you just look at all the rest of the presents! There's also a silver stapler, note cards, a notebook, a pen! So many shiny objects!!!
I can't thank you enough, Cherie, for your generosity. Of course the buttons were confiscated by one very stringy-headed doll with a button fetish. Notice that the buttons have suddenly multiplied in this picture. Annie was obviously holding out on us and hoping we wouldn't notice. Speaking of which, Annie, what is that mysterious mound of tissue paper you have beside you...
Or better yet, what have you hidden there underneath that mound...

I thought so! Look what she was trying to hide from me this time...

Nothing doing, sister, I'm going to put this on my rose petals Mr. Magpie gave me that I keep in my special little cup...
You, on the other hand, may sit in the corner and count your, I mean MY, buttons and tell me how many there are...
While I admire all the other shiny objects from Cherie and also this magnifying glass Adelaide gave me for Christmas...
And write a heartfelt note of thanks...
Another special gift (arriving mysteriously about the time of my birthday) came from my good friend Mrs. Shorehouse aka Laura of Shorehouse Chic. Accompanying the gift was this very lovely Victorian postcard with blue violets, "A Token of Friendship"...
Won't that be perfect with the gifts from Cherie? Thank you, dear Mrs. Shorehouse! :-)
Now, for those of you who don't know, Mrs. Shorehouse shares some Scottish clan ancestry with Mr. Magpie, so she is truly family! She also knows how crazy I am about the Scots in my own ancestry, and she very sweetly made the following poem and Scottish dancer for me and framed it. It's seen displayed here on the McLeod tartan which is the clan from which they both descend...
Isn't that neat? And I found a place of honor for it in the library...
Right next to our arm chair in its McLeod kilt...
In order to redeem herself, Annie has agreed to illustrate said poem for us. So cue the bagpipes and fasten your seat belts! Heeeeeeeeere's Annie (McLeod)...
May the best ye've ever seen
Be the worst ye'll ever see...
May a moose ne're leave your girnal,
Wi' a tear drap in his 'ee...
No, No, NO, Annie!
Not a MOOSE...
And a GIRDLE...
It's a MOUSE and a GIRNAL!
Girnal = a wooden box in the pantry where they kept things like oatmeal. Scots eat oats, and mice do, too...

Someone who shall remain nameless but with the initials Little Annie McLeod did NOT do her homework. Moving right along...
May ye aye keep hale and he'rty...
Till ye're auld enough tae dee...

Uh, not quite, Annie Dear. Plus there is only one Sandra Dee...

I'm afraid you'll just have to content yourself with being a legend in your own mind. Pray continue...
May ye aye be juist as happy...
As I wish ye aye tae be.
Thank you SO much, Laura, every time I see this blessing in the form of a poem, I will think of you and wish you well in return! Here's a litle poem for you...
Roses are red,
Tartans are blue,
You're the Queen of the Scots
And the Jersey Shore, too!
Love you, lady! :-)
And Annie, that Bud is not for you or your little friends, so you, my dear, are fired!
In addition to the lovely gifts from those two bloggers, I am the very fortunate winner in a blog drawing and the grateful recipient of a lovely piece of jewelry from one of my favorite bloggers in Sweden! That's right, Sweden And I don't mean Sweden, Florida, either! ;-)
The gift from my friend Maria Berg of Allt Kan Gronksa came in this sweet little blue bag with the crescent moon and stars that are the emblems of my college sorority...
Then, when I opened that precious little bag, I found a lovely necklace with a silken cord and two tiny blue hearts on each end!!! I tried to display the necklace with the appropriate Swedish blue in the background, but somehow the Blue Check Forest of other posts simply didn't have what it takes to do justice to this delicate piece...
Contrast... what it needed was contrast. So I drafted Pinky II or Little Pinky (Pinky I or Big Pinky being a shrimp... got that???) to help...
But he wiggled...
And waggled...
And wiggled some more...
It's kind of hard for a giant flamingo to hold still, much less in cramped quarters...
So after another round of wiggle...
Waggle...
Wiggle...
I thanked and then undrafted Pinky...
And instead brought in a little angel with Swedish braids...
Who does the piece far more justice...
Aren't those hearts sweet?
I love how they sparkle...
When the light hits them...
Very, very lovely...
Maria, I thank you for both the beautiful necklace and your friendship:
Roses are red,
My necklace is blue,
You are so talented,
And a true sweetheart, too!
XO XO XO XO XO XO XO XO XO
And that, dear friends is a wrap!
All the best to each of you and thank you for visiting me here. I eagerly look forward to visiting you as well! Please join Sally and all of her friends by clicking here for lots of blue goodness on this beautiful Blue Monday! And don't forget to visit these other ladies by clicking on the links I provided for their blogs. You'll be glad you did! :-)
Quintessentially,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)




78 comments:
Sheila....
So good for you and your funny antics to return...I have missed you so!!!
That necklace was one pretty win.
Love all your goodies.
Have a blessed Day~
Chasity
Your post is so cute...congrats on all your goodies! Hope you are having a great weekend!
Yay! My sweet Sheilaness is back! I've missed your posts so much. Congratulations on all of your shiny treasures. I tell tell right away you have to keep your eye on that little Annie! She's a hoot! Good to see you back, sweet friend,
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)
Hi, dear Sheila, hope you are doing well, thanks for popping in & leaving me a note. Isn't blogland the best & have the most wonderful people out there. What sweet gifts & sweet friends!
Sheila-I am overwhelmed at all your friends--both in blogland and at your house...busy place! You are so creative. Loved seeing the picture of Sandra Dee and I just KNOW it has to be from A Summer Place. I think she is saying "Oh Johnny" to Troy Donahue here :) Loved your post!!!
You have been missed! What an incredible return though! You deserve each and every goodie that is sent your way for all the sunshine and encouragement you send to others.
Happy Twirls
Good evening Sheila, It was so nice to see your post. Congratulations on all of your pretty and sparkly gifts. Did you hear that I'm having a fashion show? Come share your little black dress and it's story with us. I hope your week is blessed with all kinds of wonderful things. Charli is sending you and Mr. Magpie a hug.
Welcome back Sheila, it's good to see Annie again too. What wonderful things you've been given, I know the magpie in you is just thrilled with all the delightful shiny objects. Have a wonderful week my dear.
Hoorah!! Sheila is back!! I so have missed your clever and creative posts! You out-did yourself today girl! Fabulous!! Love it all, what nice friends to send such lovely little gifts! We are so happy to have you back! Watch that Annie, she seems to like the Bud Light! lol. Cindy
How fun to have you back, dear Mrs. Magpie, with your funny tales and charming cast of characters! We have missed you! You have quite a haul of wonderful loot there, Ma'am! Such pretty shiny objects! Love the pirate theme! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie
PS Your kitties send a big hello!
Well, you lucky girl you! I think you're cute little doll has been dipping into some bottles of hard stuff. Might ought to keep a wary eye on her. And her fellow comrades-in-crime!
Brenda
Hi Sheila!
What wonderful gifts from such wonderful blogger friends! Annie was the perfect demonstrator and I loved her tartan skirt and the beautiful poem/plaque that Laura made for you!
So good to see you back!
Hugs, Pat
OH it's so good to "see" you again! You always make me smile. Have a GREAT week, and thanks for coming to "see" me too!
Good to see you back with all your little characters. Such a cute post and lots of lovely goodies. I think Annie is pretty CUTE! ~ Sarah
Woohoo you did good Ms S. We love you so!! Glad you are back!!!! Big hugs
~Welcome back dear Sheila! :)
We've sure missed your wonderfully witty posts and this one is no exception! I was thouroughly captivated and just laughed so hard reading this and viewing all of the sweet photos. You have some very dear bloggy friends and gorgeous new items. Love em' all! Annie in her glassed and kilt skirt is just a riot! ~*Smiles*~
Thank you so much for your kind words of support tonight! I really am feeling much better. I am truly beyond grateful and feeling blessed.
Many Blessings and Happy Fall!
~Melissa :)
Good God! You have such pretty things! I loved Annie too! Happy blue monday.
Glad your comp is behaving well again :)
♥ Chaitra
That little nosy Annie ;-)
and that beautiful treat from Sweden. Birthday blessings just keep going.
Monday Blessings!
Yay! You are back. And what a funny post to come back with. You had me laughing with all the antics. And just when you bring Annie back, Helmi was butting in on my projects today. I'll be posting more about that on Wednesday for Whatcha Working on Wednesday on my sewing and craft blog. Yeah, Helmi will be in the pictures. She just had to nose her way in and get in the pictures. She was afraid everyone would forget about her.
Hope all is well with you. And I love the boat in your header picture too.
Oh, Miss Shelia, Isn't it nice to be back? It is for me, I have really missed "ole" friends and new ones. Hope everything else is going good for you except for computer problems. I am praying mine are over for good, but I know that is not going to happen.
Great Post, great gift.....Will see you more often.
Happy Blue Monday.
Barbara
How in the world did I miss this?
I'm cracking up here in Canada, not from frost bite either Mrs. Magpie.
I can't wait to meet that little Annie girl & Pink Flamingo... I don't drink beer, but Annie better watch out when I come to town lol
Your gifts are perfect and shinny, just like you.
Happy Belated Blue Monday dear friend : )
Can't wait to meet you in person.
Love Claudie
xoxoxoxo
Drinking stuffed dolls... wellll... now I have seen everything... or not... LOL
What wonderful gifts from sweet friends. You are most creative, Sheila! The was you did all these is so cute and funny!
Enjoy all your goodies! *hugs*
It made me smile to see that you had a hard time to take photo of the hearts all the wiggles...
I sitting here an smile- I love to make people/you happy.
Yes the neckless looks good on the dull, but maybe better on You? Will we see a photo?
And if it does not look good on you, come over and you can choose another neckless and your dull can keep the blue hearts!
We say,
Roses is red
lavenders is blue
wild strawberries are sweet
and so are you!
Hug, MB
Wow, Congratulations on all you presents!! Very cute presents at that.
Cindy
This is an adorable post! I loved it! I loved every word and every picture! And I love all your gifts! You really got an enormous wealth of treasures from your fellow bloggers!
So good to see you posted! I've missed you!
And thanks so much for your kind comments to me on my blog!
Great post! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Love, Eileen
Applause! Applause! Applause!
You could photograph and write about mouse droppings (or moose ones) and make it enjoyable, but I am happy that you were the recipient of such lovely gifts that inspired you to write today's post.
'Morning Mrs. Magpie,
What a cute Blue Monday post! Congratulations on all your treasures! Love the necklace. Thanks for your entertaining post today.
Blessings,
Sandi
Happy blue monday ! :)
Love the post !!!
Sheila, you had entirely too much fun while you were vacationing from Blogland! I'm happy that you've returned to share these stories. Happy Blue Monday.
So nice to see you again! You've been missed :)
Love all the goodies, and the way you weave them into a story.
You really went all out for your post today. I never saw such an assortment of goodies. There are still some nice people out around and I am happy one of them honored you. Glad you found time to drop by place and leave a comment.
All of your goodies are wonderful. Annie with the buttons, should be on the front of a greeting card. She has too much personality to be limited to just a blog. I see celebrity in her future...if you let her.
What a wonderful post and such lovely and caring gifts from your fellow bloggers. Thanks for sharing them with us. I hope you are having a wonderful Blue Monday.
Hi Sheila
You have received some beautiful gifts from your friends in blogland. Isn't it just a wonderful place? Your Annie doll is gorgeous. I love her kilt!
Missed you.
Lindsay
x
Oh my goodness, this was just the best post! I think I haven't seen that many presents and goodies in a long time.
I love Annie she is so cute!!
Thank you for giving me my morning's smiles and thank you for visiting my Blue Monday's post.
Ruby said she is always happy to receive compliments, and is happy that you like her so.
Iris
O, you shiny lovin' Sheila....I am so glad to see your silly self back with us. I know you are glad to get that computer fixed!
I love all your pretties...
See ya...
Thank you for coming back to blog land. What lovely pretties you have received. Love the Scottish picture and the tartan covered chair. your fellow las.
Hi Sheila, you got so many wonderful presents from so many thoughtful bloggers. Is your computer working now? Thanks for the tip about the plants. I get impatient too but I am working in such a big area that no matter how many plants I buy, the yard seem to devour them. Your post is so cute!!...Christine
Hello Sheila,
What a cute post! I love your little friends and their shenanigans. What lovely gifts you have received.
Thank you for sharing with us. This was my first visit, but definitely not my last!
~ Tracy
Dear Sheila,
It's lovely to hear from you again! :) My goodness, you are surely blessed with those wonderful gifts! Have a blessed day!
What a spectacular post!! enjoyed seeing all those goodies and presents, wonderful!!
Mar
I love your presentation andthe funny stuff you got there Sheila. Sooo cute and lastly, you deserved that presents, I love presents too, who doesn't. Happy Blue Monday and have a great day to you.
Good Morning Shelia,
Oh!! How I have missed you, I am so glad to be visiting you again. You are just to much, I loved this post, and Annie is precious, and those fabulous gifts, so deserving.
I enjoyed seeing pictures of one of my most favorite actresses, I especially enjoyed her in Imitation of Life, and with Troy Donohue in a Summer Place. Ahhh such great memories! Thank you for sharing, and thank you for always encouraging me.
Blessings,
Sue
Sheila,
What a wonderful fun blog! I am a Scottish dancer so enjoyed that bit especially. Thanks for your comments on the Quimper Club site, I hope to continue illustrating and teaching this month for all the folks who have heard of Quimper but don't know what it is.
Hi there Miss Sheila!
I LOVED this post and laughed like crazy...you are one funny gal! I especially liked the doily on Annie's head...
I hope you have a wonderful (and funny) week!
Hugs,
Spencer
What a lovely little present for you to receive! Happy blue Monday.
WOW! Long but very interesting.How very nice of those bloggers to send you all those gifts,very sweet of them and very pretty.Happy blue monday to you and...Anne.
What wonderful gifts you were given, Sheila! So happy you're back! Have a great week.
Hugs,
Donna
Very cute post and so many nice presents... You should feel very loved.
Happy Blue Monday!!
What a delightfully entertaining post! Thanks for sharing your creativity and for visiting my blue mosaics at Sacred Ruminations earlier.
Hugs and blessings,
Oh this are pretty goodies...Happy Blue Monday.
Honestly I was laughing so hard at "moose and a girdle" I almost missed the lovely "Roses are red..." poem you penned for me!! :-) It was so nice to see the toast hanging on your wall...it looks perfectly at home! And thank you so very, very much for your kind words...I think I'm gettin' all choked up here!
So happy you have your computer back (and I'll bet you are, too!). Have a wonderful week...and thanks for always brightening my days!
A big hug from the shorehouse-
Laura
xoxox
You're back! I saw you on Cote de Texas' blogroll. Thanks for coming by for some pie.
I'm so happy you're back. Hope the computer stays healthy for a good long time!
What a lucky girl you are ~ so many sweet and thoughtful friends. And that Annie is a hoot!
Hugs,
Dawn
What a fun post! I loved your story and all your characters and the treats! You are one lucky lady! Thanks for sharing!
Hi Sheila, Missed you and are so glad you are back blogging! Great post and great goodies you have received! Especially love the silver stapler! :)
Annie looks mighty pretty in her kilt! :) ~hugs, Rhonda
What a lot of lovely gifts! Your post was very fun. Good to have you back. :)
Girl that was fun and I really enjoyed seeing all your pretties you got...I hope things are great for you on your side of the mountain my friend..Your too funny...you need to write a book...May you have a great week...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Well that was quite a pot!!
Very fun and so much variety. Such cute treasures.
Thanks for coming by and leaving a nice comment on my 'kinda lame blues' today.
just wanted to join in. =0)
blessings
barbara jean
Wow, Sheila, welcome back my friend. I have been in Atlanta for 4 days and just arrived home late today. I was helping my sisters move their antique business to another location. I am whipped. Their new location looks gorgeous.
Now for your return to blogging. Your post today was fun and entertaining. You gotta love that Stella. Your gifts are so sweet too. A terrific post Sheila.
Now I better post something for tomorrow.
Love, Jeanne
Oh, happy day!! You're back!! I have a reason to get up and blog in the morning!! Poor Annie must have thought life as she knew it had ended!!
Your gifts are thoughtful and lovely. This was a perfect post, a celebration of sorts. What on earth have you been doing? If I find you were anywhere near Chicago and didn't look me up...
Thanks for staying in touch, sweet friend!
xoxo
Jane
Wow! What a wonderful gifts yu received! All precious!
Thanks so much for coming by and leaving such a sweet comment on my first ever mosaic.
I love your blog and Annie is so adorable and mischievous! Lucky you with all those goodies. Christmas came early for you ;0)
Your post is so cute. Thanks for showing it,
Thanks for visiting me too
Gunilla in Sweden
Oh you are so funny! I enjoyed this post very much, and Annie too..of course :) Cute stuff!
you know I love the raggedy ann and so much blue in this post I was feeling a bit jealous LOL
Sheila!
It's so wonderful to hear from you, again! Just isn't the same without you! You're such a bright spot in Blogland!
You really got quite lucky with all the wonderful goodies you've received! Everything is such a treat! Enjoy your Tuesday...and the rest of your week!
Hi Sheila
I just love reading your blog. It always cheers me up! What a blessing to receive such sweet things in the mail!
Hope you have a good week.
Hugs, Rhondi
Loved your gift ! Your a nut girl ! , LOL !
Evening, Dear Sheilaness! Oh, how I do appreciate your visits and your kind words.
Now I must tell you - I always wanted to look like Sandra Dee or Haley Mills! I adored those little gals! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
Hi,
Just popping in to answer your question about the brown paint color. I have no idea what color it was. The previous owners were foreclosed on, and they didn't leave and left over paint.
I den would be a great place for a dark color. I hope you find the brown you are looking for!
Penny
Hooray! Sweet Shelia is back:)
I couldn't be more happy your computer is mended and you have returned. I can't think of a nicer person to receive such thoughtful gifts 'just because'.
I am still not able to blog as much as I like. Dad takes so much of our time which I willingly give. Each night as we kiss him good night, we wonder if he will still be here in the morning...and he is!
Thanks for your sweet messages. You will always be a tender favorite of mine.
I too come from Scottish blood.:) My great grandfather came to America when he was 16 years of age. Then he worked hard to save for the passage fare for each member of his family, until they too were able to come. Alexander Gerrard was a wonderful young man and even a greater older gentleman. Are the any Gerrards in your family lines?
Hugs ~♥
Shelia...thanks girl for coming by and seein my Dawna finally getting married...girl I didn't think I would live long enough to see that day ha ha!! But it was about time...Hey she only raised 2 kids before she got married...like I said she had her kids as part of the wedding ha ha!! Hope all is well on your side of the mountain my dear friend...we are finally getting cooler at night here...it feels like fall now...before I know it my mountain will be covered in snow...May you have a great day girl...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Aw I've missed you! Hey!! I'm glad to see you've been doing well! You're so funny I've missed your funny tales! So glad you won those things! So cute!
All the best,
Allison
Good morning Sheila. As usual my days are packed with things to do. I wanted to visit you yesterdy but we had company for dinner and I was so tired I went straight to bed. LOL. Not like me at all. LOL. Every once in a while all my crazy activities catch up with me. I love to be busy and that is certainly my life.
Our puppy is getting bigger and we will get her in November. We are so anxious to be puppy parents once again.
I know you keep busy too Sheila. Sedentary is not a word in my dictionary either. BIG smile. After looking at your post again I realize how much time is involved in your entertaining text and photos. You are a natural story teller my friend. I hope you continue to blog, as I missed your fun posts and especially you.
Have a happy day.
Hugs and love, Jeanne
Your gifts are wonderful, and the way you spin your story post is fabulous. I love the music too! What a delightful post.
Karen
Hi Sheila :)
Oh my! What pretty and sweet gifts!! No wonder you received them... you are one of the sweetest bloggers ever :)
Missed you!
(((love)))
rue
Post a Comment