Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

America's Architectural Treasures: A Child of The Sun

Today, I'd like to take you on a tour of an architectural landmark campus, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designed by famed American architect Frank Lloyd Wright...



Wright's vision was for Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida, and the buildings and decorative elements designed by Wright, and later by his proteges, still feel every bit as contemporary as they did when executed in the last century...



Mr. Wright said the following about his vision for the campus design...



"Out of the ground...



"And into the light...






"A child of the sun..."



I had never realized just how interesting these buildings were until my husband and I took the time to walk on that campus for three hours one Saturday morning. Of course I was aware of Mr. Wright's world-wide acclaim...



He's probably America's most famous architect...



But while at first glance, they might look like any other contemporary structure...



After spending time there, the architectural elements began to make their presence known at every turn, particularly through a camera lens...



His vision captivated me by all it entails...



While Danforth Chapel, pictured above, has many interesting elements, probably the most famous building on the campus (and certainly the most photographed) is Annie Pfeiffer Chapel...



Students affectionately dubbed the metal work on top, "God's Bicycle Rack"...



Look at all of the interesting geometrical elements in his buildings, like rectangles...



And how they repeat...



Combined with 45 degree angles...







And concentric squares executed on the sides of the building, topped by metal work which, when examined, is comprised of a series of geometric shapes...



He didn't forget concentric triangles, either, the latter forming pyramids of sorts...



Look how from this camera angle, the squares look more rectangular. The shapes start to mesmerize you after a while because there's really so much more here than you thought...



At first the design looks so simple, but it is actually quite detailed...



The buildings are happily married to the earth, and even the walkways are well executed like this open one...




And these covered walkways alongside this building (with their fascinating triangular columns) are pretty spectacular...



As are these metal ones...



Some more of Wright's beloved triangles can be spotted on this roof...



As they are on the edges of the roofs in this shot...



Depending on where you are standing...



The building elements can change...



Sometimes affording you a window to the heavens...



Notice the caution lines here. Basketball players, beware! Wright was a little over five feet, and the esplanade tends to be very low because the architect (and his ego) deemed the covered walkways the perfect height. ;-)



And look at the wonderful esplanade being restored at present...



Being from a dryer climate, what Wright didn't figure into the long range equation is the damage that Florida's significant rainfall can do to a flat roof...



But the esplanade's stateliness speaks for itself...





The verdi gris element along the edges of roofs is copper...



And in case you're wondering...



Wright did not leave circles out of his formula for the perfect campus...



Or water elements, such as the water in the round pool with fountains, a pool that beautifully reflects the college's administration building...





Then there are some other elements like tiny bits of stained glass found on various buildings...





I think it's the perfect element since stained glass is often associated with churches, and this is a Methodist school...



I don't know if you can see it, but while I was shooting this, a magpie decided to perch on the part of the tower just to the right of the cross. Well, the bird looks like a magpie, and we're going to pretend it is...



In a cost saving effort during the Great Depression, the students were taught by Wright how to cast some of the masonry elements...



And every corner you turn...



Leads to something even more interesting...



And another photo op...



But it seems that all roads lead to Annie Pfeiffer ...







She appears to be a hub of sorts...



And appears to be the same front to back...



And side to side...



In Wright's own words...



"This architecture represents the laws of harmony and rhythm...



"It's organic architecture...



"And we have seen little of it so far...



"It's like a little green shoot growing in a concrete pavement."



Well stated. And I think it can be further stated that Mr. Wright had an eye on the future with his design concept because it is, above all else, timeless in its appeal...



Thank you so much for joining me today on this tour. I hope you've enjoyed this tiny glimpse into the many Frank Lloyd Wright designed and inspired buildings on this campus. I've enjoyed having you pop in for a visit, and I look forward to flying over to your blog to visit with you there...



Please join Susan and her friends at A Southern Daydreamer to see more outdoor posts for this beautiful Outdoor Wednesday. You can get there by clicking right here.



I wish you blue skies and smooth flights throughout the week ahead...



Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

95 comments:

Joyce said...

So visually stimulating. I have only been out to see his work in Arizona so your photos were a nice treat for my eyes today. Thanks for sharing.
Joyce

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Wow, that was just an incredible tour with wonderful information and descriptions of each picture. Thank you for taking the time to share so much. Great visit!

Claudia said...

This tour with you was wonderful... Because as you know "What good is a great photo if you dont share?"

I love the latice look and you did such a good job pointing out the details so well.

My favorite like so many others is the grid -- the God bike rack. Or hey... simply a great Crow or bird pirch.

Hey-- I became one of your followers-- if you get a moment, stop by and say hi!

TTFN~~Claudia ♥ ♥

bj said...

I know you must have really enjoyed this tour with your hubby.
I enjoyed seeing every picture.Thanks, Mrs. Magpie, for working so hard on this post..to bring it to us.
xo bj

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

This is so wonderful, I've been a longtime fan of Wright and love his works. Now I feel as if I've toured this one...applause!!!

Claudia said...

JUst following up -- thanks for stopping by today..(night) we have had 3 small snow storms... with only snow lasing for 2 days tops (in the shade)

Thanks again for stoppin hon.
Claudia

Carolyn Ford said...

Amazing photo tour! Incredible information too. I now want to know more about Wright...I would love to see this myself. Great captures!

Jeanne said...

Wonderful building shots. I'm from Wisconsin where many Frank Lloyd Wright buildings are, but I have never seen this one, even in books.

Light and Voices said...

My favorite photograph are the ones titled windows to the sky. Mixing nature with Wright's architecture is perfect!
Joyce M

xinex said...

This is so interesting, Sheila. How wonderful that you got to see these angular buildings personally. Frank Lloyd Wright is truly a genius when it comes to buildings. I love his use of stained glass....Christine

Ebie said...

What a great design and architecture. A great virtual tour of the campus.
He is one of the great artists! I have seen quite a few of his designs here in SoCal.

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful photos!

Unknown said...

thanks for the fabulous tour, and for sharing the wonderful design elements.

Maria Berg said...

Very interesting and fun shaps in that building and thank you for showing us close by and far away on it.

The Bus fabrik is a big , big play ground for kids - you pay a lot of many and then they were playing there for 3,5 hour!! (I did give the something to eat...).

/Maria Berg

the wild raspberry said...

what an amazing campus...you captured it beautifully. love ole frank ;)
have a great day~
chas

April said...

Talk about a feast for the eyes....thanks for the tour, my friend!

Maria Berg said...

Take your time I did not think you will forget, lots of hugs from me to you, MB

Carol at Serendipity said...

What a beautiful presentation. his buildings are remarkable. Good job - your photographs are exquisite.

Carol

Kat said...

Sheila, these photographs are stunning. I loved this tour. I've always been a huge fan of this type of architecture, and Wright was a genius at making the complex appear simple. The use of stained glass is perfect, the copper trim, everything is so perfectly fitted into the next piece of the puzzle. Thank you so much for sharing this. And yes, I do believe that is a magpie! Kathy

akawest said...

Great photos! I didn't realize Wright built in Florida. The big FLW fan is sleeping, but I shall show him your post, which he will definitely appreciate.

Hootin Anni said...

That's amazing architecture!!!


My O W is now posted. Today a slide show of us attending the famous Texas King Ranchhand Breakfast. Come see a bit of 'history' if you can.

It's Here

Southern Lady said...

Incredible photos, Sheila. Wright was, indeed, one of the greatest architects of all time, if not the greatest. There is a house in Jackson called Fountainhead which was designed by him.

I loved your tour -- I felt like I was walking through an outdoor art gallery.

Glo said...

I love this post! I live fairly close to a Frank Lloyd Wright home...Falling Water...and have visited it a few times. He was amazing. His attention to detail is incredible. You captured a lot of that in your photos! I enjoyed, and appreciated, being able to "tour" another one of his buildings through your lens!
Thanks, Shelia!

Kammy said...

Wow, no wonder why you spent 3 hours there - very cool !!!
Thanks for sharing !
Kammy

SmilingSally said...

He was a genius, Shelia, and it's always embarrassing to discover that manking remade some of his work; therefore, we the need to "restore." The angles are the thing.

And yes, that can be a magpie, but I did see some crows too!

Lisa said...

WOW! what a great one! I am not a fan of modern but his stuff is in a class by it self. I just love it. What a great place!
Hugs, Lisa

Shell in your Pocket said...

That is a very interesting building...Thanks for sharing ALL those pictures...your posts must take you forever!
sandy toe

Eileen said...

Beautiful tour!
Every time I see a building or home designed by Wright, I at first think of it as so simple looking, and then as you look closer you see all the detail work of each and every project. You did such a wonderful job of capturing all that in your photos! I find that all so interesting, this was a great picture tour with lots of information. I felt like I was reading an interesting little brochure. Thank you!

And thank you for always being so kind, understanding, and encouraging in your comments to me! And thank you for your sage advice. You're a good friend!
Love to you!, Eileen

Emily said...

My husband and I visited his "House on the Rock" in Wisconsin several times when we lived there. There is also a house of his in Wichita. I don't personally like his style, but I can't stop looking at his buildings and thinking "cool". Lovely post, Sheila. I hope all is well with you!

Unknown said...

I'm not much into contemporary architecture... except where Frank Lloyd Wright is concerned. A definite genius!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
Thank you so much for introducing me to the work of this amazing architect. What an absolutely stunning collection of buildings. The Annie building and the offices near the lake were my favorites. I love how you explained it all just like a real tour guide. Please take me back again sometime, I would love to see inside. I will definately show Jessica this post, she is so interested in art and design and this is really worth seeing.
Lindsay
x

Claudia said...

Thank you so much for taking us on this tour, Sheila. He was an amazing architect - such vision, such style. The buildings are extraordinary - how lucky the students and faculty are to see them and study or worship in them every day.

xoxo
Claudia

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wright was just unbelievable. Is buildings are a treasure indeed.
Great pictures.
vickie

Shellbelle said...

Thanks for sharing Sheila, I had no idea that Wrigt was the architecture of FSC. I have a friend who moved to Lakeland just recently and after driving out there several time I didn't know there was some of this magnitude to see. I better give her a call and tell her I'm coming again!

Love the "bicycle rack" and yes, that is definitely a magpie. I heard there were several around campus that day, some with cameras!

xoxoxox

Marie said...

Wright's architecture is definitely classic. He was a visionary indeed and you can always tell his buildings if you know modern design. Thanks for sharing such detailed photos Sheila!
-marie

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Thanks, Sheila, for the wonderful tour! I had absolutely no idea that Wright had done some buildings in Florida! There is a beach house in Sea Grove with a very "Wrightesque" look to it called "Wright on the Beach" and I have often wondered. I will have a little surprise for you when I post my Cloche Party. I know...can you believe I'm doing two posts in one week? lol Happy rest of the week!...hugs...Debbie

Darlene said...

What a fabulous tour Sheila! Thanks so much for sharing it. Everything is so beautiful! Hope you are having a wonderful day.♥

Maggie said...

Sheila, thanks for a very fascinating tour around the campus.
I was lucky enough to visit the FLW home and studio in Chicago some years ago which was very interesting too.
Thanks for flying over to Normandy today, always enjoy your visits.

storyteller said...

What a MARVELOUS tour of this wonderful site! How fun that a magpie visited while you were there to be included in your lovely photos. Frank Lloyd Wright has long been a favorite of mine. I've seen many of his southwestern structures in person but this architectural treasure is new to me. I appreciate the detailed virtual tour since I'm not likely to get visit in person any time soon (if at all). I love the way you've changed your header ... and think I spied the source within your post. I'm also relieved to discover I'm not the only one who didn't share 'holiday' views this week ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
My Outdoor Wednesday

♥ Kathy said...

Wow Sheila! That is so cool! And I love the sky picture...you know I'm a sucker for the sky :D Happy Outdoor Wednesday ♥

2sisters said...

We love Frank Lloyd Wright. The hubs is a drafter and loves drawing buildings, especially homes. We have been wanting to visit Tollesen West (sure I'm spelling that wrong) for a while now. Thanks for the glimpse at this beautiful campus.
teri

Carrie said...

This is a marvelous post! Thank you, Sheila, for sharing your photos and for the enlightening text. How fortunate for those students, faculty and staff who get to enjoy all this complex of contemporary beauty.

Dena Pickle said...

Wow! You took some wonderful photos! I'm planning to start my own linking party On Tuesdays beginning Jan 5th called Out and About. This post would be perfect for it! If I could, I would like to use it as a guest post for my First ever McLinky Party!

Dena

Hopie said...

I have always loved Frank Lloyd Wright. Such beautiful architecture.

Lori E said...

We have many buildings that are similar in the Vancouver area. Our main architect, Arthur Erickson did lots of them. Simon Fraser University is a good example.

Rue said...

Hi Sheila :)

That was so interesting! I'm not a big fan of his work, but I think it's always neat to look at. You did a beautiful post :)

I just finished catching up with you and I wanted you to know that your Thanksgiving tablescape was GORGEOUS. I hope you had a wonderful day :)

Oh and the shades are called Pleated London Shades. I think she had them made custom, but I'm not sure.

love to you,
rue

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sheila!

I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing your wonderful photos! I've visited the Guggenheim Museum many times in Manhattan that FLW designed, and I've visited his Taliesin West home. His architectural style was certainly unique and groundbreaking! Buildings as works of art and using the environment as part of their design was such an interesting feature of each one.

Jenny said...

What a fascinating architectural study. Pure genius in using the light to change the movement on an unmoveable object. Neat, Sheila! Thanks for the little trip.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What fabulous photos. Thanks so much for the wonderful tour. It really was a treat. Have a great Outdoor Wednesday.

sunnymama said...

That was really fascinating! Thanks for a great tour and fabulous pictures. Really love your new header picture. :)

Mollye said...

Thanks Sheila for sharing with us the visions of this enigma and most fascinating of all designers. Amazing huh, Mollye

Robert Walker said...

Amazing shots!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Sheila!
I have seen your name and logo for months around other peoples'posts and it is a honor to receive a visit from you!!! You have a sweet and lovely place! I love your side bar with all the darling birds. Your tour was exquisite! What a rich collection of pictures you have of this most elegant design. Thank you for your comments! Come again, please! Anita

Anonymous said...

Hello, Dearness! This is so amazing! I haven't never seen anything like this before. It's beautiful!
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Nancy said...

I'm just wondering...I worked very hard today rearranging for holiday guests and finally sat down. I first went to my favorite site, realtor.com. There I found the perfect '60s ranch with open air pool just a few doors down from our old house. It has been reduced over $100K. Secondly, two people commented on my blog. The first one led me to a blogger who is dreaming of moving to the country much as I am dreaming of moving back to Winter Park. You were the second person to comment from Florida featuring modern architecture, almost mid-century. This is all trying to tell us Winter Park is ready for us, isn't it? I am going to tell my husband to reapply there, and ask God, you did feature a church, to help. Ah, the connections desperate people make, LOL!

This was very interesting. I never stopped in Lakeland, although we went by on the way to Destin and New Orleans many times a year. When we are back in FL, we will definitely visit. This is so my style.

Blondie's Journal said...

What an awesome photo tour, Sheila. I am going to have to have Emily look at your post. It was very informative as well and I learned quite a bit about Wright's philosophy. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't know his work well...as you said, he is probably the most famous American architect!

Your photos are awesome. Amazing what we see anew through the camera lens. I meant to take a stroll of my own on the college campus a few blocks from me that is just gorgeous. Of course, before the weather got cold. Walking one day without my camera, I suddenly saw things I never did and wished I had it with me!!

Love the sweet magpie on the cross. It would make a cute header picture (and I love the one you have up now!!)

Enjoy the rest of your week!!

xoxo
Janie

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful photos and a great post on Architectural treasures. I loved so many of you photos, it is hard to pick a favorite. I have always loved Frank Lloyd Wrights work. His style is so cool.

Kathy said...

Hello Shelia, what a treat, your photos and info are incredibly interesting, I am off to find out more of Mr FLW, love the little birdie too, happy Wednesday, Kathy.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

What a grand tour! I had to study a lot of FLR buildings in college - this one is fantastic! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us this (loved the magpie!)
Great photos by the way...quite artsy you know :) of course you do now don't you...bet that Magpie told you so!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh THANK YOU! I have been a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright for quite some time and this campus was amazing. I first became interested in his architecture after seeing some of his work on This Old House years ago. He built a stairway without a single nail. It somehow inter-linked together....I don't remember anymore, but it was fab.u.lous... :-)

And, I'm THRILLED to see you've won a wonderful giveaway. How exciting. Congrats!

Big huggies to you dear friend....

Spencer
xoxoxo

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sheila,
Oh, I hate when I'm late for the party! What a neat post! You know Wright was from Wisconsin and hubby and I have been to Talieson several times and are in awe of the splendor of his work! He was a genious beyond belief! I saw another comment about House on the Rock but that wasn't Frank Lloyd Wright's, his is Talieson but they are both near Spring Green Wisconsin which why it's confusing. Last time Dan and I were there we talked to some of the older town folks who remember him. None of them cared for him much, they said he was cranky and arrogant but he certainly was an amazing talent! The Monona Terrace in Madison was just built a few years ago with his original design for it! It's a masterpiece and next time I'm there, I'll get pics and post! Thanks for sharing this awesome and interesting post my friend, your amazing! Hugs, Cindy

Mim said...

Oh thank you Sheila for posting this. I want to read it in more detail. we just visited "Fallingwater" in PA in October and that was wonderful.I had not read much about this structure so I will surely enjoy learning more.Thanks for all the pictures.

CJ said...

Its very beautiful! Very aesthetically built. Your lens captured it even more beautifully :)

♥ Chaitra

Terry said...

Howdy
Oh my gosh this was fantastic !
Thank you so much for sharing this .
I really loved it .
I am a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture.
Thank you for dropping by my blog and checking in .Your sweet words really touched my heart.
I have been without a computer most of the time since last May ,finally got that resolved, than I became ill and missed a month of blogging due to illness.
I am taking it slow as I get back to work,family,blogging etc...
Please be patient with me as I try to get caught up .
I feel like Rip Van Winkle .
Blessings of joy to you .
Big hugs from Texas
Happy Trails

Diann said...

Wow, what amazing designs! Something to keep the eye moving.

Magpie said...

Those are cool photos. Thanks.

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of this unique work. FLW was a master. You gave a great tour! ~ Sarah

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Is that you up on the perch in the last photo, lol?!

I just love Frank Lloyd Wright. Although I'm not a modern kinda gal, I've always appreciated his work from a young age. It's incredible to me how I've read on more than one occasion that a home he designed is bound for the wrecking ball (someone buys the home for the "property")...though I suspect in the current economy such foolishness has hopefully stopped.

Thanks for the incredible tour!

Betty said...

Sheila, I enjoyed your tour so much! I love Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture. I know that his homes have a lot of furniture built in to the home. Do his buildings on the school's campus have the same?

Dawn said...

Wow! It's not my favorite style but I've got to admit it's pretty amazing! That walkway with the triangular columns made me dizzy just looking at it!
Hugs,
Dawn

jeanne said...

Sheila, I am a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright too. His work is amazing and so are your photos and descriptions. So interesting.

As I am writing this my sister is checking on the lambs. I'll let you know asap.

We lost service most of yesterday and she lives behind me so no service there either. This morning we finally are on again. We had the worst storm for about 24 hours. We also lost power. A real pain. All is well again now.

Hugs and love xoxo, Jeanne

Michelle said...

OH MY...what fabulous photos and such interesting views too. Love the photo of the walkway and the building!

niartist said...

What a beautiful BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUAL building! Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures! We have a few Frank Lloyd Wright structures here in WNY. They are stunning - definitely a genius he was!

Pam said...

Thanks for the tour. I have seen some of Frank Lloyd Wright's work before, but this was very informative.

Moore Minutes said...

Wow, incredible photos and just awe inspiring. You made me want to go visit there now! lol. I so enjoying learning and experiencing new things. This would be a treat to see.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheila,
All I can say is "WOW!" He was an amazing talent!





~Jean

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. I enjoyed "visiting" this beautiful building with you.

Janean said...

doesn't it seem educational institutions tend to embrace architectural ideas that point toward the future, even if they have a foot in the past? great post.

Picket said...

Great history lesson girl!!!! That was amazing! Oh I scrolled down and found your 'ornament'! lol lol That is so funny cause just the other day me and baby girl were talking about what we wanted for Christmas and the family was about to draw names and she ask me would it be 'tacky' to request panties as her gift!lol lol I kid you not! lol lol

Anonymous said...

Wright was certainly very talented. Thank you for the tour. I hope I get to see this in person one day!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sheila! Just popping back by to check out that magpie! I'm glad you approve of the Aristocats new Christmas scarves! They are enjoying posing as part of my Christmas decor...as well as my ever-faithful coffee table guardians of Charles Faudree! I just want you to know that they are much loved and appreciated as members of the Plate Addict feline staff! Have a wonderful weekend...hugs...Debbie

Charlotte said...

What a fabulous campus...your pictures are terrific. I really enjoyed looking at each one and how nice it would be if there were more places like this...just wonderful...lucky students

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I love his work . You got some great pics !

Terra said...

Thank you for this tour and your excellent photographs that capture the spirit of the architecture.
I have long admired Frank Lloyd Wright, mostly his house designs.
I have seen quite a few of his houses, being from Wisconsin.
In an art history class we visited several of the homes he designed.

Simply Debbie said...

dear sheila....my most favorite quintessential magpie,
what a beautiful, awesome tour....gorgeous pictures...i felt like i was right there with you taking the tour....
i have admired frank lloyd wright for a long time....i think he was way a head of his time...
i am sending you an e mail after a bit
i could not find your follow button
angel hugs
love
debbie

annies home said...

wow what wonderful lines and shapes illustrated in your pictures

vicki archer said...

A wonderful tour..thank you so much. As a fan of FLW these photographs are fascinating. Have a very happy weekend, xv.

stefanie said...

wow, what a campus, thanks for sharing, it was an amazing tour!!!

Beth at Aunties said...

Sheila,

I am sure Mr B will enjoy seeing all of your pictures, as I did. It was a fabulous tour and we are huge fans of his!
We, actually him a whole more than I can sit for hours watching documentaries about Frank Lloyd Wright's life and seeing his extraordinary work on PBS channels and he has read about him extensively.
He was quite an interesting man!:) Very egoistical as you mentioned.:)
Mr B has designed both contemporary and traditional. He now works for ‘The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints’ and when he was managing the architectural services department he has designed 8 temples for the church which have been built, including The San Antonio, Texas Temple, which was his favorite design. You might find a picture of it on line. Before going to work for the church, he was a partner in a firm and designed his share of office buildings, schools and Court Houses!!!:)
Thanks for your thoughts and visit! You are so special to me.
Much love to you this day!

~♥

Anita Diaz said...

I am a fan of his, so nice to go on the tour! Thanks for stopping by!

Maria Berg said...

Maria, does this mean you have another little one on the way?
No, I have to tell you I use an old photo, it is me with my last kid, it is 4 years ago now - I miss being pregnant BUT I do not miss that no one of my kids did NOT sleep the fist 2-3 years !!!!!
MB

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Sheila they really are sunning buildings! Every one is a treat to see.

Thank you so much for sharing so many photos and so much info with us dear friend. ~Gorgeous! :)

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I am a huge fan of Frank Lloyd Wright! A few years ago I had the pleasure of visiting Falling Water. I have many books on his fabulous designs. He was a genius and his style is timeless. Twyla

Sue said...

We have some of his homes around here...they are so interesting. My husband loves his style and we have talked about visiting the campus. I will have to show him the pictures. Thanks for visiting me!

Sue

Deborah said...

Sheila, this is a beautiful campus. I don't think I have ever actually seen one of his buildings. My favorite part is the covered walkway with the triangular columns and the view of the administration building in the water. And of course it was a magpie .....

supplies overflowing! said...

Hi Sheila!
You have hit upon my most favorite architects! (ok- so he is the only well-known architect that I know about.) Your photos are wonderful, as are your explanations. I feel like I have had a lesson in his architecture!
Many years ago while in Virginia for a daughter's soccer tournament, I took 3 of the kids to see one of his homes (hubby stayed with the soccer player at the field.) The house was teeny-tiny, and closed, but we were able to walk around on the property and peer into the windows. I was in heaven.
One day I hope to get out to see Fallingwater.
Love the Stella posts!
j.