Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday: The Wise Men's Epiphany


Matthew 2:1-15

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king..



Behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem. Saying, "Where is he that is born King of the Jews?"



For we have seen his star in the east...



And are come to worship him...



When Herod the king had heard these things...



He was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him...



And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together...



He demanded of them where Christ should be born...



And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: For thus it is written by the prophet:

And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda...



For out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel...



Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men...



Enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared...



And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also...



When they had heard the king, they departed...



And, lo, the star, which they saw in the east...



Went before them...



Till it came and stood over where the young child was...



When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy...



And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him...



And when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh...



And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod...



They departed into their own country another way...



And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him...



When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night...



And departed into Egypt...



And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son...



The Word of the Lord... Thanks be to God! :-)


Thank you for joining me for this beautiful Outdoor Wednesday which is also Epiphany and represents the day the wise men came and worshipped Jesus. It is officially the end of the holy Christmas season and signals our march toward Easter.

These shots taken in historic St. Augustine's "Old Town" reminded me of this scripture, and I thought I would share them with you today along with the story of the wise men and the Holy Family's flight into Egypt. I thought they made a nice combination. Hope you enjoyed it!

Please join our lovely hostess Susan and all of her friends for more Outdoor Wednesday posts by clicking HERE. In the mean time, I thank you for visiting my blog, and I look forward as always to visiting you at yours.

Onward into a glorious new year, a year in which I wish you all the best life has to offer! :-)

Warmly,


Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

102 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

beautiful pictures and wonderful scripture! Have a great week my friend!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful photos from my favorite place! You did a fantastic job of matching the photos to the Scripture.

It's nice to be "back" in Blogland and visit again - I've missed everyone!

Hugs!!

Lisa

LemonyRenee' said...

Oh, Sheila, what a beautiful, beautiful post. Thank you.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Sheila...

Amen...and Amen! Glory to God in the Highest!!!

My friend, I too have observed Epihany! I really enjoyed reading the Scriptures and all of your photos...fabulous!!! Wow...they were absolutely perfect for the telling of the story!!! Thank you so much for sharing this sweet, sweet post with us today!!!

Warmest wishes and blessings...
Chari @Happy To Design

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Oooops...I spelled "Epiphany" wrong! So sorry!

Chari

Darlene said...

I enjoyed every delightful picture and word in this post!! Just beautiful!! Hope you are having a blessed day Sheila.♥

Anonymous said...

Sheila, what a beautiful and perfect post! Thank you so much for sharing it with us...I loved it! Praise God!
The photos did coordinate with the scripture so well. I will have to send this to my cousin who lives in that area. Just beautiful!

Many Blessings of Joy, great Health and prosperity to you this year!
Hugs,
Lynn♥

~Let FREEDOM Ring!~

Lisa said...

What faithful men,righteous men who knew the signs of the Saviour's coming. And knew their own lives were at risk by not telling the king where Jesus lay. We can all be wise men- following Jesus and willing not only to die for Him, but to live for Him. Thanks for a beautiful post.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
I really enjoyed this beautiful post. The pictures you shared were just perfect for each verse.
Thank you.
Hope this week is going better for you.
Lindsay
x

Jenny said...

I was so happy to see a new post from you! Beautiful photos....beautiful words...beautiful blog as always!

Dena Pickle said...

I just wanted to stop by and say HELLO!
Dena

Beth at Aunties said...

What a beautiful post with pictures perfectly going with these rich scriptures. How grateful I am of wise men both of old and in our present time. I too rejoice with exceeding great joy of his birth, example and teachings. Truly He is the greatest gift of all.
Thank You for a thoughtful and heartfelt post.

Much Love and wishes for a fabulous New year full of hope, good health and joy for you and Mr Magpie. You truly mean alot to me.

Fondly,
Beth~♥

Maria Berg said...

It is alway nice to have a story with the photos like you did here, and yes I think it is the same water you will see at least some of it.

You asked me what computer program I am using. A few days ago I stated with lightroom, and before that I had Iphoto (Mac computer).
From time to time I use Pixelmator, I did I heart faces in that one.
Take care, MB

Is it you as a child on the top of the blog?

Kat said...

Oh, I'm doing the happy dance. A new post from Ms Magpie. This was really beautiful Sheila, such a wonderful job of matching images to these most precious of words. I really, really need to visit St. Augustine, what an absolutely gorgeous town. Hugs, Kathy

Southern Lady said...

What glorious pictures to tell a glorious story, Sheila. I love seeing your beautiful St. Augustine through the lens of your camera.

It's so nice to see you posting again, too.

I hope your "Outdoor Wednesday" is filled with beautiful pictures like the ones you shared with us.

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful post, Sheila, and amazing, how St. Augustine fits so well with the words of the scriptures.

I guess I have to take the tree down tomorrow...

xoxo
Janie

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

What a beautiful post!! I enjoyed it so much!!

I hope your New Year is all you want it to be and MORE!!!

Much love to you...

Lou Cinda :)

Anita Diaz said...

What gorgeous photos and beautifully tied to the scripture! We are celebrating the "Three Kings" visit here. The children will leave grass under their beds for their camels, and the kings will leave them a gift. Thanks for coming by! Now my husband could make house calls but I don't let him because he's too cute. lol :-)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Absolutely beautiful post and images, Sheila!

Claudia said...

What a gorgeous post, Sheila. I love the time and care that you put into it. Everything goes together perfectly. Oh, in my email I said I wasn't sure where you live in Fl - but, duh! Of course, St. Augustine. Sometimes I just forget, you know?

xoxo
Claudia

Dixie said...

absolutely beautiful post... and amazing photos... you dun good girl!

hugs. Dixie

Anonymous said...

That was very beautifully done. I love the scriptures and the photos are outstanding! I want to thank you for your kind comments on my blog over the last while, I have come to really look forward to them, I love hearing your point of view. Thank you! Love and hugs, Cindy S.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What a beautiful post Sheila, and so fitting for today! The pics are gorgeous, your quite the photographer! Hope your week is going well and your enjoying the nice Florida sunshine. We're freezing up here, it's going to be -7 tonight! I need to find my longjohns! Hugs, Cindy

storyteller said...

Wonderful illustrated retelling of this familiar and timely Biblical story. Thanks so much for this and for your visits to my blogs. I enjoy the thoughtful comments you leave behind.
Hugs and blessings,

CJ said...

The pictures were lovely and the story, beautiful! You are a born storyteller. Though I am not a christian, I have read the bible(bits of it) and felt really at peace when I read it.

♥ Chaitra

Emily said...

What beautiful photos! You are such a good photographer. I love the ones of doors the best.

BECKY said...

Hi Sheila! Love this gal!! Love ALL of your posts!! But this one is so special because it is the Word of our Lord!! I saw a show that was about the star that guided the wise men. A Christian lawyer has done extensive astronomical studies and has come to the conclusion that it was when Jupiter and Venus were so close together that they appeared to be one star. It was a phenomenal show on TBN and you can read about it at www.bethlehemstar.net It is truly amazing and the things they found out in the process were just what our amazing Lord would think to do!!

Love to you, sweet friend!! You are a delight to my heart!!
Becky

Charlotte said...

Lovely post...beautiful pictures..Have a wonderful New Year!!.....Sue.

Anonymous said...

Sheila, I especially thought that your photo of all of the orbs and the streak of funneling light was fantastic. Very mystical! :)

Eileen said...

Lovely post and perfect music to accompany it! And the pictures! You did a great job!
Gave me chills!
I love to picture that story in my mind and your pictures helped me to do that.

We always called the Feast of the Epiphany "Little Christmas". So Happy Little Christmas!
Beautiful post!
Love to you,
Eileen

xinex said...

I hope 2010 has been good to you so far, Sheila. The kids are so cute on your header...Christine

Sarah said...

Ms Magpie, this is so artistic! You are amazing. I love seeing these photos of St. Augustine and the text fits beautifully. Thank you for sharing this. . . Sarah

Amy said...

Beautiful!! I truly enjoyed it and a nice way to end the Christmas season. Thank you!!!

Dawn said...

This was a wonderful post Sheila! You put so much work into your photos and stories! I took a peek the other day but got called away, or kicked off the computer, can't remember which, but I'm glad I got back by to read it.

It's funny, I've gone in Pier one several times since they opened here and see a lot I like but haven't bought much there. I guess I'm waiting for something I LOVE before I buy it.

Thanks for stopping by, I've know I've been absent a lot lately but with the kids home I don't get a lot of "me" time with the computer!
Hugs,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Sheila - Absolutely LOVELY. I love how you were able to tie those pictures to the Scripture. Very beautifully done. Thank you for blessing my night.

Anonymous said...

Sheila you did such a beautiful job with combining the scripture and the photos. God was glorified through this. Thank you.

Kathy b

Tami said...

Beautiful post and pictures Shelia!

Hugs ~ T

Julie said...

You did a lovely job of sharing something dear to your heart. Lovely pictures and storytelling.

Regina said...

Hello Sheila. I love all these.
Such a wonderful post!
Thank you for reminding us of Epiphany.
Have a Blessed New Year!


Regards.

Regina

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hope you had a peaceful Epiphany Sheila! I came by the other day but I thought you still had Christmas post up and didn't comment --this teaches me to look more carefully :-)

Lovely photos! Hope it is still nice weather down there and you are not getting frost. This is a cold winter!

Hugs, Pat

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Lovely! Growing up, we always took our decorations down on "Little Christmas" so as a little kid the arrival of the three wise men signaled the end of Christmas to me. But I don't hold it against them anymore. ;-)

Ebie said...

Beautiful post! And your photos showcasing St Augustine are just gorgeous!
For God so love the world....

Have a great OW and a great week!

Gena said...

Hi Stella, great pics and post! happy WW and thanks for stopping by my blog! Gena

Hootin Anni said...

I love, love how you put the story of the scripture with all the photos....very clever indeed. And beautiful photos to top it all off...it's like Sunday School only better!!!

COME ON OVER & SEE SOME c - SHELLS!

Eden said...

You are a great photographer and I love all your pictures.

Vivian said...

Great pictures to go with a wonderful message. Thanks.

Barbara said...

Dear Shelia,

Wonderful pictures for a Most Holy Day. As usual you hae done an outstanding job telling a great story.

Happy Day, Dear Friend.
Barbara

♥ Kathy said...

That is so beautiful the way you put all that together Sheila ♥ Happy Wednesday!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Such a lovely post!!! Thanks for stopping by! We actually stopped at Applebees in St. Augustine area for dinner-it was a pretty stop with a Chili's there, too. (Chili's had a 1 1/2 hr. wait!) There was a hospital at that exit...sound familiar? We went to old St. A (fort) a few years ago and found it beautiful!
~Nancy

supplies overflowing! said...

Hello Sheila!
Beautiful post!

I feel so silly- I only just noticed your blurb on the right about having written the foreward to a children's book, as well as articles for magazines, and newspapers.
Has that always been there??
I feel silly because I know that I have made comments to you pertaining to writing for the public and not just us.

Oh- and thank you for your comment about selling myself too short. That was very very sweet of you-
Sometimes I do have to remind myself to give myself a little credit.

The children's photo in your header? So angelic...
Have a wonderful day.
jenny

Together We Save said...

Amazing Post!!

Old Time Cindy said...

Great job in combing your photos with your post! In appreciation...
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

SmilingSally said...

What a neat way to illustrate the story! Sheila, you are super. (BTW: I love the present tree.)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

SHEILA!!!!! That was the most beautiful presentation! Gorgeous!

♥ Kathy said...

You have an award HERE

2sisters said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and inspiring message today. Thank you for being such an awesome follower and leaving such nice comments, it makes our day!

Glo said...

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful and go perfectly with the story! I thought it was very creative and I really enjoyed this post!

Hope you have a Happy New Year!

April said...

Such a beautiful and refreshing post, my friend...THANK YOU for always sharing your heart with all of us! It's so good to be back in the blogging world...I've missed you!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What a wonderful post! I love hpw you put the beautiful photos with the scriptues!!

Sue said...

Well done my dear friend, I am truly blessed today! Every picture just matched each verse so perfectly!. Thank you for sharing ! I am so glad you are back posting, and I hope you got some rest, and that you are feeling better.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my blog. I just haven't been able figure out what was wrong, I now have taken the snow effect off, and if I could ask you if the next time you come by, please let me know how it is doing. You are so precious!

Praying that your week is filled with many blessings,
Hugs,
Sue

Maia T said...

Beautiful post and lots of excellent photos. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca Nelson said...

May His Holy Name be praised forever.

Beautiful.

Love to you~Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Sheila, thank you for your kind comment today. I wish you lived across the street from me, I would love to have a REAL friend like you. This is the second problem we have had recently and I am about ready to get angry! First someone hijacked our Hotmail contact list and now this. I wonder if they are the same person? Makes me wonder. Anyway, thanks for your kindness, it means so much. Hugs, Cindy S

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - you must have worked ont his a very long time. The pictures are awesome and they go perectly with the scripture. I love it.

You could make those up and send out as cards to friends for birthdays and things.

Loved it,
sandie

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post! The pictures are stunning. Many Blessings to you and happy Epiphany ♥

Sue said...

That was just beautiful, Sheila. I am feeling so much like my old self these days after my head injury, so I will be visiting friends a whole lot more! Thanks for visiting the cold and snow over at my place! It really wasn't too bad out this am, but we expect more of the white stuff tomorrow. That, I can live without, especially if it comes in feet not inches! LOL
:-) Sue

Sue said...

Shelia, I am sending you the biggest Hug, thank you so much, I have been trying to figure this out for weeks. and was about to take my computer to the Doc.
Much love
Sue

Joyce said...

Wonderful creative post!!!!
Joyce

Eileen said...

I forgot to mention yesterday that I LOVE your banner picture! Beautiful!

Claudia said...

You are always such a delight to visit.

The scriptures and photos --- just spot on.

If you get a moment --would love you to stop by -- I'm going to start a new meme --Friday-- Finding Beauty that I would love you to join!

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

Crystal said...

Wow! What a great job with the photos and matching the scripture. Yes, today is Orthodox Christmas and my son's 18th birthday.
Thanks for visiting and sharing your comment. I cannot imagine being in Florida and putting up with cold, cold weather. That is where you go in the winter to be warm. I hope it warms up for you soon.
It is so great to be back Blogland and visiting everyone.

Grace said...

This was so beautiful Sheila! I so enjoyed reading this! Happy Epiphany... Grace

The Muse said...

and the gift He gave, for us to be friends...is one I'll always treasure.

what a soulful and superb journey we have had today in your insightful and blessed post!

xo HUGS xo
Sweet ms magpie, from your friend~
The muse

Mollye said...

Hi Sheila, Thank you for the beautiful images and scripture to go along with it. Such a glorious story and one we need to hear over and over. Bless you my friend, Mollye

ellen b said...

Sheila!! This is absolutely fabulous post for Epiphany! Well done. I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling on down!!
Happy O.W. to you...

Anonymous said...

Very, very pretty!

The children looks so sweet in your header pic.

Thank you for the sidebar mention of Stella's visit.

Hugs,
Lisa

Helena said...

Hi Sheila! This is an amazing post, and the pictures you've shared are absolutely gorgeous!

Lori E said...

Each one is a sight to see. My favorite though is the old gate.

Lady Farmer said...

This is the best post I have read! Great photos to go with the scripture!
Thanks for visiting me today!
Blessings!

Vicki said...

Sheila, these pictures went so perfectly with the scripture!! Wonderful job, my friend!! I loved everything about your post today. Have a blessed week, sweet friend! Vicki

Nancy said...

Sheila: Just beautiful. It is a winning combination and I did so enjoy it. This is my second time back!

I recognize a couple of spots which makes it even dearer to me. Thank you so much for all the inspiration you give me.

Lorrie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post Sheila. What a great combination of pictures and Scripture--very beautiful and peaceful.

I hope your New Year has started well dear Sheila.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post!

Tardevil said...

Gorgeous pictures! The tree is pretty too! Hope you're having a happy New Year!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Uplifting and Spiritual. What a beautiful job! Thank you for reminding us that "Wise Men (and women) still seek Him"!
God bless you.
Yvonne

Maggie said...

Bonjour Sheila,
This was such a joy to read.
Maggie

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Sheila dearest,
I don't know if you will even see my comments! WOW! I have never seen these many comments on a blog...you are fortunate! Thank you for coming to visit with me, SHeila! You have a wonderful blog and you are so kind to stop by! Cold in Florida? Yikes...we really are in a freeze in this country! God bless you, Anita

Sweet Designs said...

I loved your beautiful photos and of course the wonderful story that went with it, a wonderful reminder of why we are all so blessed.
Thank you for coming by my blog earlier! :)

Ramona said...

Lovely post! Thank you.

Smiles ~ Ramona

Moore Minutes said...

I am blown away by the power of this blog post! You created an absolutely amazing post here! It was done so beautifully. Thank you for blessing us all with your talents!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sheila, this was a wonderful post for the Feast of the Epiphany. It must have taken you hours to put this together for us. Know that it is appreciated. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

I love the way that you combined the scriptures with the pictures. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Sheila,
Beautiful! I enjoyes this...Just dropping by to say Hope you had a blessed Christmas and Having a Great New Year! Is it cold enough for you down there in FL...It is here in Mississippi...Stay warm and have a blessed weekends..Katherinellen

Terra said...

I love this combination of Scripture and photos, and think it could become a book.
Well done.

Puna said...

What a nice, nice, really nice story and presentation. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Warm, wonderful and very thoughtful post! xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW SHeila! You are so sweet. Thank you for enjoying my blog! I look forward to a wonderful year of inspiration!!Anita

Carrie said...

Sheila,
You have chosen the photos so well to go with each scripture passage. This is a beautifully done post!

I have not had the chance to visit St. Augustine but hope to go there someday.
Carrie

Kathy said...

Hello Mrs Magpie, Happy New Year, I did enjoy your post very much also your photos are gorgeous and I really enjoyed the music. Love your new header too :-). hope your weekend is wonderful, hugs, Kathy.

kymber said...

Absolutely beautiful Sheila! It's great to have a snow day today so that I could come to visit you.
((Hugs)) to you sweetheart!
Kymber

jlshall said...

This was such a beautiful post! Love all your wonderful photos. It's a very lovely way to end one season and begin another.
Happy New Year from Joy @ Joysweb

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sheila! What wonderful photos! I love how you achieved a very Middle-Eastern look using photos from your lovely neck of the woods! I love the new header...such cuties! I have been rather scarce with a baby shower coming up for my daughter tomorrow. Only 6 more weeks! Have a wonderful weekend...hugs...Debbie