Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Stella, Blue Monday, and Blue Suede Shoes...



Good Morning, and Happy Blue Monday from sunny St. Augustine! Yes, that would be Stella, our little cross stitch doll friend visiting from England, and yes, that would be Stella sitting on Michael Jordan's shoulder with a blue shirt in the background. More about that later. First, I'd like to share what started out as a fairly normal day. After attending Cecelia's dance recital the evening before, we arose with the birds, bright and early...



And Stella requested breakfast in bed. Her mother Lindsay might have some serious adjustments to make when Stella returns home to England! ;-)



After breakfast, we sat in our blue striped chairs, contemplating what we wanted to do for the day...



And decided a beach walk was in order...



Stella loves sea creatures, particularly blue sea horses...



And she also loves luxuriating in the shade of a palm tree on her striped beach towel where we shared a picnic lunch (that tiny bag holds more than you would ever dream possible!)...



But there is nothing Stella loves better than sailing...



And she found this blue and white sailboat that is just about her size. I'd like to have one just like it! ;-)



Here she is just hanging around the marina. This girl loves anything and everything to do with the water...



On the way home, we stopped to enjoy the blue pansies...



And took a carriage ride through the historic district of St. Augustine...



And posed at points of interest where locals like to paint and visitors like to have their pictures made...



Then we went home to our little blue cottage and enjoyed reading a few magazines...



Got the mail and a postcard from England (Thanks, Lindsay!)...



Drank a mug or two of lemonade...



Played with the nifty box that Deborah made for me (Stella loves the swans and the little girl on it and all the blue sparkles)...



And checked our dinner reservations...



That's when Stella realized we had some time to kill...



And convinced me to take her to Potter's Wax Museum, the oldest wax museum in the United States. Stella just happened to notice that cross stitch dolls get in for free and begged to go there...



"Certainly, Stella, I'd be happy to accompany you" were my famous last words, and in truth, it started out nicely when we were greeted by this lovely young lady...



Then Stella stopped to have her picture made with Uncle Sam...



And climbed up on Michael Jordan's shoulder which is quite a climb when you are less than a foot tall yourself...



Michael was very friendly, and Stella would have stayed there all day...



Except that she spotted, drum roll please, The King! Then Stella went all wonky...



And did what any girl who is giddy over Elvis would do. You guessed it, she stepped on his blue suede shoe!!!



And that's when it happened: the alarms went off (that shoe was wired!), signaling the Keystone Cops, and Stella took off like greased lightening, hiding under Queen Elizabeth's skirts! The cops arrived with the nets, found out Stella was English, knew exactly where to look, and caught poor Stella, hauling her off to the Oldest Jail (thankfully, they didn't throw away the keys, but hung them in plain view)...



But looking on the bright side, Stella got to be a "reenactor" at the Oldest Jail. Understandably, she was a little timid at first...



Come on out, Stella, so we can see you...



In case you're wondering, those steel shelves in the background are the bunk beds in the jail...



The prisoner in the next cell was in for disturbing the peace. She was caught wading in the Fountain of Youth...



What's that I see... grey hair??? Would her name happen to be Claudie???



No, the figure isn't good enough! Too fluffy! ;-)



Here's a shot of the metal picnic tables for dining. Up to this point, Stella thought it was all fun and games, but when she realized there would be no breakfast in bed, she began to cry and really sing the blues...



I then phoned Mr. Magpie (it's good to have a lawyer in the house when you have Stella around!), and he phoned the British Embassy. After some skillful negotiations, I deliverd the good news to Stella, and the smile returned to her face...



And the prison doors swung open...



To reveal beautiful blue skies outside. Stella, however, is going to have do do community service, and I'll report more on that later!



In the mean time, please visit Sally and her friends for more Blue Monday shenanigans. You may do that by clicking right HERE. Thanks, Sally, for always being such a great hostess week in and week out!



Thanks for visiting me here, and I look forward to visiting you in return! :-)

Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

68 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

You've got me smiling big!! Is Stella related to Flat Stanley?? He took many trips with us through several children. I think Stella made many wonderful memories!!!
xoxo Pattie

Kat said...

Boy, you have to watch that Stella every minute, don't you? What a fun post, looks like you had a wonderful day. Well, until Stella's unfortunate incarceration. Love the paintings that she posed in front of! What a beautiful tour of a beautiful city. Thanks for the big smile today :) Kat

Anonymous said...

Sheila! Oh, my goodness! That Stella is getting into trouble again! I had quite a bit of trouble with her at first when she was visiting me! She went to jail and here she is again! Oh, my goodness! I do see how she was snuggling up to the Most Famous Ones! Little stinker! :)
I hope she's still wearing her tattoo from Galveston proudly! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
Firstly I can't believe that Stella making you fetch her breakfast in bed. I think she is going to get a real shock when she comes home! Secondly I thoroughly enjoyed this fun and creative post Stella looked to be having a great time until she got in trouble AGAIN! So glad Mr Magpie was there to rescue her. Thank you for showing her a wonderful time and for looking after her so well. I knwo she loves her Auntie Sheila!
Lindsay
x

Rebecca Nelson said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

You are hysterical. Oh my goodness. That little S is getting into lots of trouble again! Whoot Whoot. What a HOOT you are.

Love to you~

Rebecca

Papillon Bleu said...

I first thought 'oh! I have to send Aliénore there' then , when I read about Stela misadventure, I started imagining all sorts of way for her to be in trouble...oh no! it was very scary to see Stella in this horrible prison.Am glad to see she's out now.Phew!

Papillon Bleu said...

oops! I forgot to say: Yiu've been tagged on my blog!
;-)

Carrie Ann Eddleman said...

Whew, glad you guys were able to spring Stella from that prison LOL. You are such a hoot, I love your imagination and creativity. Glad to see you here back at it, and making me smile. Take Care, Carrie

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Stella girl...you gotta be careful when you are out on the town. You don't want too big of a rapsheet!! But you can say whoo hoo, what a ride about your life, that is for sure!!

Sue said...

So glad you are back!! Anyhoo you and Stella are just too funny! After all the excitement, I bet she was glad to get a bubble bath and go straight to bed.
As always you bring so much joy to us all.
Big Hugs,
Sue

Claudia said...

Stella is the ultimate tourist, isn't she? There's no stopping her. You've made her trip to the States pretty memorable and I bet she will have many, many stories to tell when she gets back home.

Weren't you having trouble with photo storage? I'd love to know what you did to resolve it as I see that problem arising in my blog's future.

xo
Claudia

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That Stella!
She has quite the life! Except for the jail time, I have to say I am a bit jealous. You are an amazing storyteller Sheila!
Children's Books in the future?
Hugs,
Cindy

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sheila! It sounds as though Stella had a great day! You are really giving her the royal treatment in your fair city!...well, except for the jail time! lol Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

xinex said...

Oh Sheila, you sure have a very good imagination, lol! I told you before that you should write children's books, didn't I? Well, you should. So nice to see you posting again...Christine

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Stella always has the most marvelous adventures! This one was one of the best even if she got herself into bit of a jam for awhile.

I'm glad you were able to fix the photo situation, Mrs Magpie!

♥ Pat

claudie said...

You and me in jail Stella?????? OMG I gasped at the top of that head, then thought, no no that's not my head. Whew, I got scared there for a minute. But I know Mr. Magpie would have saved my butt too Stella. He's a good man that way : )
Stella, I thought Aunty Sheila was sending you home to your mama? I guess she couldn't get you a first class tickets huh? Oh well, it's fun to play with her isn't it Stella? She has the coolest house in St. Augustine. You do know her home is featured in a beautiful book don't you Stella? Yes it is and I have a copy of it.
Well I'm glad you two had fun at the museum, and lucky you for meeting Elvis. WOW, you just have to meet Elvis once in your life time.
Now you will need to sleep for a month when you do get home. You must be soooooo exhausted from all your travels.
Take care of yourself, and thank you again for coming to my special birthday party.
Love You both
Love Claudie
xoxoxoxoxoxo

eileeninmd said...

A fun post, Stella seems to be having quite the time visiting St Augustine. Cute photos.

gengen said...

Heheh your post for blue Monday is really enjoyable. hehehe

luna said...

What a (Stella-) story!
Happy BM!

Lorrie said...

Oh my word Sheila--I can't believe what Stella has been up to now! She's has done some amazing things on her visit here in the States. I'm glad Mr. Magpie was able to bail her out of jail. It was fun to see her hanging out with the celebrities. She is not going to ever want to leave your house with the royal treatment she's been getting there!

Beverly said...

That Stella is going to be able to write quite the book of adventures. It is a very good thing that she has had so many resourceful hostesses on her trip.

Really. Doesn't everyone know not to step on the blue suede shoes?

Happy Blue Monday, Sheila. I've been thinking of your.

CC said...

Ohhhh my !!!!!!!! Stella,Stella..Stella!!!!!! What a fun time you had..you just must be a bit more careful. I'm so pleased you had such a great time and that you were able to have breakfast in bed.
After the ordeal with your incarceration.. you deserve a bit of pampering. Happy Blues to you Stella and to your lovely friend Ms. Magpie.
Ypu're both simply adorable...

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Oh you do crack me up! The whole time I was reading this post, I was humming "I been everywhere man...I been everywhere". Stella sure does get around...and the Michael Jordan pictures are hilarious...love it!!
♥, Susan

Coloradolady said...

This is an adorable post!! Looks like Stella is having the time of her life...so funny! Loved this blue monday addition.

SmilingSally said...

That Stella is a handful, isn't she? Now, I agree that cuddling Michael Jackson would be agreeable, but jail ...

Happy Blue Monday, Sheila.

JEANNE said...

Dear Sheila, this post is so adorable. You should write children's books. Stella's adventure is so much fun. I enjoyed the tour of St. Augustine too. One thing Stella has learned from you is having fun in the oldest city in the USA. Is shhegoing home soon? You will miss her.

I am so glad you are in St. Augustine and hopefully getting rested at last. I know you loved Cecelia's dance recital. I am certain she was very happy you could attend as well.

Life is busy here this week. I am getting ready to face a week of chaos with the grandkids here. We are planning a week of fun. We have to keep teens very busy. You know they have the "I'm bored" syndrome. Smile

Love you and wishing you a very restful week relaxing. Be good to yourself, you have had so much stress lately.
XOXOXO, Jeanne

BECKY said...

What interesting adventures Stella has! You sure know how to hold someone's attention, gal! And love that imagination of yours!! Simply full of wonderfulness!!

Thanks for taking the time to put together this delightful post, Sweet Sheila!! What a joy and a blessing you are!

Whew...so glad Mr. Magpie saved the day!!!

Have a lovely week!
Love you bunches,
Becky

chasity said...

love that stella got to hang out with MJ and the King....she is so well traveled!
what fun.

Sarah said...

Wow, Stella had a full day! I love the painting that Stella visited. You are always so clever and creative, Mrs Magpie! Thanks for the smiles that you give me every time I visit. ~ Sarah

Anita Diaz said...

Oh that's adorable!! Evie's Flat Stanley and Flat Evie went on a trip to Georgia to visit an Air Force Base, but that's as far as we could get them!

Chatty Crone said...

That was sooooooooo cute - great imagination. Looks like she had a great visit with you and vice versa! Love, Sandie

The Old Parsonage said...

Wow, that Stella surely is a world traveler! What fun!

Leann

Cathy said...

I'll be smiling all day over this post, Sheila. You and Stella had quite a day and a close call with Elvis' shoes. I love your adventures. Thanks for taking me along.

Regina said...

Stella is so cute. These are wonderful and fun Sheila.
Happy Blue Monday. and a have a great week.

LV said...

What an interesting and entertaining post. You have a great blog and I enjoy it so much. Speaking of blogger problems. how do you know if you ave too many pictures in it? I know very little about the blogger operation.

meandering pearl said...

this is so clever & cute!!! i think the painting of the carriage is so beautiful!!! hope you're having a lovely day!!! Happy Blue thoughts!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow, Sheila.... Stella must have had a wonderful visit to St. Augustine... My brother and family used to live there --and I've been there many times. Beautiful old city... Glad Stella had a wonderful time.

Happy Blue Monday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Debra Kaye said...

Sheila,

that Stella gets around!! I've seen her in Texas at the Ewing ranch and in NC and England and now with you! Great post..,made me smile ;)

Charlotte said...

Stella certainly does get around. LOL I enjoyed seeing the pictures of her adventures.
Happy Flag Day and Blue Monday.
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the giggle! Your stories are just TOO funny.
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog today. I love it when I see you have visited. You are such a sweetie. I enjoyed another "Adventures with Stella" today.
Hugs, Cindy S

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Oh Stella went to town!!!What a fantastic post..

Irene said...

Oh Boy! What a post! Great job! And thanks for visiting!
Irene

Americana Lady said...

This is so cute!!! You are very clever and brought lots of smiles to your blogging friends! Keep your flag-a-wavin' Joan

♥ Kathy said...

That was so super cute Sheila! I swear you should write kids books! That was the most fun I've had all day ♥

☺lani☺ said...

That's so cute an I love Stella, she reminds me of a book here about teddy bear who travels a lot. Nice post!

D.O.S.A. said...

Stella will have so many tales to share when she returns home. You are always the best hostess, Mrs. Magpie.

Miss you!

Hugs,
Lisa

Sue said...

Boy, that Stella really keeps you on your toes! I love your sunshine state, but do you think you could turn down the heat just a little bit, I've beenn melting since my arrival last night:)

Anonymous said...

Stella should be exhausted by now! And quite relieved to be out of jail! Enjoyed the story! What a tale! Thanks for stopping by on my last two posts! Appreciated your comments! :) Happy Blue Monday! Jenn

Katy Noelle said...

Goodness! What an adventure. Who woulda thunk!!!

Beth Ann said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your story today for Blue Monday! I had a blast reading it!
Thank you for visiting my 1st time participating in blue Mondays with my preemies! :)

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

ahhhh...welcome back! What a story Stella will have when she returns to bonnie ol' England!
pip pip Stella - you are quite the trooper....and awesome adventure with the best Magpie in the world!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Stella is a cutie pie...but oh the trouble she creates! Thanks for making me laugh.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my gooooodness........Mrs. Magpie.... YOU are hilarious and that little Stella sure can get in BIG trouble for a little girl..

Love those blue stripe chairs...can you send them to me? I'd love them for my new blue room..

xoxoxoxox
S

Ivory Spring said...

Sheila,

This is a most fun post! Stella packed in a full day, didn't she? I noticed that she has an Arkansas pin on her skirt... any significance about that? Just wondering since I live in AR... :)

Unknown said...

Oh that Stella sure gets around! Sheila, what a lovely surprise came in the mail. Oh, I love those illustrations and the book is perfect. Thank you so much. You really didn't have to, but I am thrilled that you did.

Thank you again.

Karen

kat said...

hahahaha thanks for the smile...i enjoyed so much...I love how you made the story about Stella....haha

Thanks for the comment anyway.

Southern Lady said...

Oh, what fun adventures you and Stella always have, Shelia! I was glad to see you back, and hope this finds you feeling much better.

I appreciate all the kind and gracious comments you leave for me at Southern Lagniappe. They never fail to make me smile and brighten my days.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Sheila,

Great post about Stella's adventures. I love the little door pillow that says "room service please". I am going to make one or two for gifts.

You should seriously consider writing books for children. Great post.

Carol

Eden said...

Stella is such a cutie. What a fun post. I love it. Thank you for sharing

Happy Blue Monday!

Emily said...

How cute! I think wax museums freak me out. I've never been to one, but they always look like they're watching you :)

dana said...

That Stella is living the good life down there in Florida!! She's never going to want to go home (actually, I thought she was back in merry old England! :) Yes, she was lucky to be bailed out....thanks to the work of your brilliant hubby! I was sooo glad to see that wasn't really Claudie in the "hoosegow"! Ya just never know about her! :)

Hope you had a great weekend....and an even better week ahead! L, Dana

Mrs.D said...

awwwwwww.....very nice!

Neabear said...

Wow! I had lost track of Stella and then when I catch up to her I discover what mischief she has been up to these days. But it sounds like there were some fun times too. Crazy Stella. Fun pictures. Thanks for coming by to visit me today! It was much appreciated.

Linnea

Ali said...

I just met Stella, how cute it she!! And what a little trouble maker lol ;-) I enjoyed reading about her adventures, I loved the seahorse she posed with!

Anni said...

Loads of blue in your pictures - lovely story!

Tricia said...

Boy, Stella had quite the trip - she must have been giddy, being that close to Michael Jordan! : )

Blessings,
Tricia

Melissa G said...

That was great! I really liked all the beach stuff!

I have something on todays post for you!

Anonymous said...

Haha, LOVE it. You always make me smile!