Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday Happy Birthday: My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose...



Today is another beautiful Outdoor Wednesday at my friend Susan's blog, A Southern Daydreamer, and today is also a very special day for me. It's my husband's birthday. So in honor of that, I'm dedicating my post to him. And now if you would be ever so kind, we'll take a stroll...




My love is like a red, red rose...



That's newly sprung in June...



My love is like a melody...



So sweetly played in tune...



As fair thou art, my bonnie lad...



So deep in love am I...



And I would love thee still, my Dear...



Though all the sea's gone dry...



Though all the sea's gone dry, my Dear...



And the rocks melt...




With the sun...



I would love thee still, my Dear...



Though the sands of time be run...



So fare thee well, my bonnie lad...



And fare thee well...



A while...



And I would come to you again...



Though it were ten thousand miles!



Though it were ten thousand miles, my Dear...



Though it were ten thousand miles...



I would come to you again...



Though it were ten thousand miles...



Happy Birthday to the man I've loved for more than two-thirds of my life!

I Love you, Mr. Magpie...XOXOXOXOXOXOXO... :-)



And I want to thank all of you for visiting me here at my blog, and I look forward to visiting you at yours. For more Outdoor Wednesday posts, please visit Susan and her friends by clicking here.

Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)


Musical selection by Eva Cassidy based on the poem, "My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose," by Scotland's most beloved poet, Robert Burns.

Edit: Happy Birthday to Christi at A Southern Life who shares this birthday with Mr. Magpie and his sister! :-)

Edit II: Mr. Magpie wanted me to be sure and tell you how very much he appreciated the Happy Birthday wishes! Thank you for helping to make his birthday complete! You're the best! :-)

108 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Sheila! and what a wonderful post for a very special person... I hope you have a wonderful day together! Happy Birthday to Mr Magpie...and tell him thanks for sharing Mrs Magpie with us...we LOVE her! ~ Susan

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful post, Sheila!

Happy Birthday Mr Magpie!

Anonymous said...

Tell Mr. Magpie I said happy birthday :)

I recognize a few of the places in your photos - especially the Bridge of Lions!

Have a great day with your sweetie, my friend.

Lisa

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

What a great post for the man of your life. I hope he has a wonderful day. My birthday is May 27th so we could be birthday buddies, huh? Thanks for the great post.

Beverly said...

Happy Birthday to your dear husband. I hope you both share many birthday filled with love and joy.

Robert Burns is one of my favorites.

akawest said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie. To inspire such a loving, birthday blog post, you must be extremely special. Enjoy your birthday with the woman who has loved you for more than two thirds of her life (aw!!!!).

Prairiegirl said...

Happy Birthday to you.
I would like to meet you someday.

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

It's so beautiful to find true love! And better yet, to keep true love! Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie

cotedetexas said...

Mr Magpie - Happy birthday - you must be a very special man because your wife is an exceptionally sweet woman, full of joie de vivre!!!!


Many many more happy birthdays to you!

Joni

April said...

Happy Happy Birthday to that very lucky man in your life, Sheila! He's very lucky to have you, too! Hope it's a wonderful day...one he'll always cherish!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a sweet post, Sheila! Happy birthday to Mr. Magpie!! He must be a really special guy!!...hugs...Debbie

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie and kudos to his wonderful wife for putting together such a lovely tribute! Can we get pictures of the happy couple? Have a wonderful day with him my friend. Cindy

Melissa Miller said...

Sheila this was beautiful! Loved all the photos.
Red Roses are my all time favorite flower.

Happy Birthday Mr Magpie!

We hung the metal basket on the door with small, sticky Command hooks from Lowes. They are working very well so far.
No crashes yet. LOL!

Have a blessed week.
~Melissa :)

Amy said...

what a wonderful and loving post.

amy@maisonbelle

sunnymama said...

How lovely! I would be over the moon if someone did this for my birthday. Happy outdoor wednesday and happy birthday Mr Magpie :)

Beth at Aunties said...

A very Happy Birthday to Mr Magpie!
I enjoyed the music, prose and several familar pictures.
What a beautiful tribute to the love of your life!
I hope you both enjoy and celebrate Mr Magpie's special day!

Our resident Mr and Mrs Magpie sure enjoy theirs each and every day! :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dear Sheilaness what a beautiful post your your sweet love! Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie! You're just the most darling one!
You are a sweetie,
Shelia :)

SmilingSally said...

Happy birthday to your husband.

ellen b said...

What a lovely tribute with beautiful flowers and words for your hubby! Happy birthday to him!!

Picket said...

Hey you sweet dear soul!!!!! That is absolutley beautiful....Happy Birthday to Mr Magpie....I am sure you are his greatest treasure!

I have missed you so dear friend and I thank you for all your love and kindness after I lost my little Maggie...the days are better now...I still catch myself looking for her but I know that is just natural....the Burlys want to get me another pet but I just don't think I ever want another one...it is too hard to lose them...

I hope Mr. Magpie has a fantastic Birthday and I wish him many many more filled with love and joy & I know as long as he has you he will always have those....love you my friend~♥~

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Beautiful pictures to go along with a beautiful poem.

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

First of all, Robert Burns rocks my little world.

Second of all, so do you Mrs. Magpie -- so any mister of yours is a friend of mine! :-) A *huge* happy birthday to him from my nest to yours. What a lovely post for a clearly well deserved man. It's obvious he is indeed the wind beneath your wings (couldn't resist the whole avian-themed thing. ;-)

Enjoy your day!

Laura
xoxox

CailinMarie said...

Really cool. Love the ilustrated poem and such a sweet birthday sentiment

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

Oh My, you actually made me misty eyed. Big hugs to you. I have been so terribly busy. Please forgive my absence. Have a blessed week!

Kathleen said...

Oh that was lovely!

Happy Bday to Mr. Magpie! Many more..

Mary Bergfeld said...

That was lovely. A thoughtful and very beautiful post. Have a wonderful day.

Jenni said...

This was such a wonderful post! I love both the pictures and the words you used! I hope your husband had a wonderful birthday! :)

I am so happy to have found your blog! I will be back very soon! :)

Sue said...

Hello Shelia,
I have sooooooo missssed you!!! This is such a beautiful and heartfelt post, I could feel the love you have for your dear one!! Now, May i wish Mr. Magpie a most Blessed and Happy Birthday!!
Sue

Maryrose said...

Hello Sheila,
What a wonderful post and what a lucky Mr Magpie. How wonderful to be honored the way you honored him. Happy Birthday.
Enjoy
Maryrose

Tami said...

Awww...what a beautiful post!! Beautiful flowers.

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie, Have a wonderful day!

Hugs~ T

anamika said...

Mr Magpie is surely surely lucky to have such a romantic sweet lady for his wife!awed!

Lorrie said...

Sheila this is a lovely tribute to your husband. Isn't it grand to have a lifetime of love? I feel so blessed in my marriage too. You picked just the right poem to illustrate-it's one of my favorites. I hope you and Mr. Magpie have some special things planned together to celebrate.

Southern Lady said...

I can't think of a better birthday gift than this heartfelt post, Sheila. I know it meant a lot to Mr. Magpie.

I hope his birthday celebration is as lovely as your pictures and the poem.

CJ said...

Oh!That is so sweet!Happy B'day to Mr. Magpie!Hope you have a wonderful time together :)

And a Happy Outdooor Wednesday!

♥ Chaitra

Anonymous said...

Awwwww what a sweet, sweet post. Oh Sheila, I can just feel how much you love Mr. Magpie dearly and he to you. I hope he gets to read this post of yours.

The poem is beautiful and so's the scenery. I love reading posts like this done so lovingly.

Of course, aside from my Papa and Mama, posts like these and people like you are such an inspiration for me.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Mizpah,
Li

Missy Wertz said...

Aw Sheila! How sweet! Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Beautiful pictures...love the roses~
sandy toe

abeachcottage said...

oh what a beautiful post, I really enjoyed it, I guess that is the best part of these blog events, you get to go round oohing and sighing at all these different stops...

happy outdoor wednesday

sarah

Anonymous said...

(In my best singing voice...) "OH Happy Birthday to you! OH Happy Birthday to you-May you feel Jesus near every day of the year...OH Happy Birthday to you! OH Happy Birthday to you, THE best day you ever had!!!"
Have a GLORIOUS Day!

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday to Mr. Magpie, Sheila, hope you'll pass along my wishes. A great tribute to the man in your life and with great pics to boot!

Jane

flmom said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie! What a lovely post!!!

Emily said...

What a nice thing to post. Lovely poem. Great roses! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet that is. Happy Birthday to the Mr. Thank you for sharing today.
Mama Bear

Becky K. said...

A very special post, indeed.

Happy Birthday to your husband!

Painter's Place said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Hubby. He should really appreciate this...it took a lot of thought. Very creative.

A Beach House Dreamer said...

Oh, what an artful way of playing a love song, wonderful with all the images!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I love this Burn's poem and your photo's really set it off.

Who is the harpist?

Marie said...

Hi Sheila-
My, you're quite the poet. Luv the photos and your very heartfelt dedication to your cheri! Happy Birthday to him.
-marie

Sandra said...

What a beautiful post! I love all your pictures. Happy birthday to Mr Magpie!
Blessings,
Sandra

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

What a great photo love poem! Have a great day.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you all SO much! Mr. Magpie read a lot of the comments this morning, and it really touched his heart and was a nice way to start his day off. Thank you for being so sweet to wish him a Happy Birthday which I also extend to Christi at A Southern Life who shares this special day!

Laura, the harpist is a lady who played at one of Mary Anne's parties, and she did an outstanding job! I took these from the pictures I took of the various parties (where I remembered to bring my camera) that were given in Mary Anne's honor. I love a harp. I've had several friends over the years who play.

XO,

Sheila :-)

BECKY said...

Oh Sheila, Now you got me all warm and fuzzy feeling!! How sweet and totally romantic!! I love the pics you chose to go along with the lyrics! So perfectly chosen.

So has he seen it yet?? You simply must share his response!!

Birthday wishes to him from me!!
Enjoy, sweet friend!!

Love 'n hugs,
Becky

Mamapippa said...

These are beautiful photos !

You asked to remove tour blog adress. I could only do this by removing the whole comment, so I did this.

Have a nice day !

the wild raspberry said...

happy birthday mr magpie!
this was a lovely dedication....love all your photos and the song.
it's so great to be in love :)
have a wonderful birthday celebration today.
chasity

stefanie said...

what a sweet tribute for your husbands b-day, he is lucky

sylvia said...

what a wonderful romantic post you made!! You must be a happy person !!

xinex said...

Oh, how sweet and romantic! Happy birthday to Mr. Magpie! Beautiful photos! Hope he has lots and lots more birthdays to come and you both have lots and lots of loving and wonderful years together!....Christine

Anonymous said...

Sheila - what a lovely post! I enjoyed all the pictures, especially that sunset picture.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MR. MAGPIE -- you are blessed to have Mrs. Magpie as your wife!

Laura said...

One of my favorite poems! Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie!

Karen said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie! What a sweet tribute to him on his birthday. Love your pictures.
Karen

Andrea said...

Very nice post in honor of your hubby's b-day. I love the pictures.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I have tears in my eyes. He is one lucky man. This was a beautiful tribute. And I wish him the happiest of birthdays! (Adding you to my blog roll...)
Brenda

claudie said...

Dear Mrs. Magpie
Your beautiful birthday wishes for Mr. Magpie sure come from your heart. I can feel the love. He is also very blessed to have such a wonderful wife, friend, love like yourself. It seems that you have a match made in heaven.
I love you both.
Love Claudie
xoxoxo

Joyce said...

Birthday greetings to the Mr. Your post is amazing and now I can't get the poem out of my head:)
Joyce

Barbara said...

WOW Shelia, What a beautiful post. Your husband is a lucky man and I wish him a Happy Birthday and wish him many more. Beautiful song too.
Hope it is a fabulous day for both of you.

Hugs,
Barbara

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
This is a truly beautiful post written from your heart.
Happy birthday Mr Magpie. You are a very special person. Hope you have a lovely day.
I enjoyed the pictures very much.
Best Wishes
Lindsay
x

Patty said...

What a lovely post for your husband. He must be a very special guy indeed. Thanks for stopping by my site, I'm so excited to get to join in all this fun.

Patty said...

Oh my, I for got to say, Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie!

Blondie's Journal said...

Sheila,

This is a wonderful birthday gift for Mr. Magpie. I love this poem and your sentiment got me all misty! Absolutely gorgeous pictures!

Thanks so much for your comments on my last post. I sincerely mean it when I say I value your thoughts. And I adore you, of course.

xoxo
Jane

Blondie's Journal said...

Also, I left a comment on your Blue Monday post.

xoxo
The ever~late Blondie

annies home said...

very pretty and dare I say romantic pictures. Loved them all they were great thanks for sharing

mel said...

What a very sweet post to your hubby. I hope he has a great birthday.

Pam said...

What an awesome post! Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie!

Crystal said...

Hi Sheila,
What a very creative and wonderful post for a very special person, Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie.
Thank you for visiting me and sharing!
Crystal

Candy said...

Happy BDay Mr. Magpie. Thanks for being so wonderful to our Ms. Magpie.

Also enjoyed our morning in the stony arches worshiping our Lord...where two or more are gathered the I AM!

Blessings,
Candy

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post!! Oh, the red roses are so amazing!!

Kathy said...

Hey there my friend, wishing Mr Magpie a very, very, happy birthday, hope you both have a wonderful day, I enjoyed all your photos, Eva Cassidy is a fave of ours and of course with hubby being Scottish Robert Burns is quoted A LOT lol, and as it happens it is my daughter (Hayley's) birthday on Saturday, much to celebrate, many hugs, Kathy.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie!! You are both so blessed! This was a beautiful tribute to love and your relationship!!

I hope you have a wonderful day!!

Lou Cinda :)

claudie said...

Tag your it.
Come on over if you may.
Love Claudie
xoxo

Linda's Blue Gate said...

How lovely...... You both really are an inspiration..... I am sure he feels the same about you....
HUgs
Linda

Charla @ For the Sake of Time said...

Shelia - You sweet thing. I have chills right now. What a beautiful tribute to Mr. Magpie. What a lucky man he is to have you in his life. Men deserve roses, too.

Today would have been my grandmother's birthday. She left for heaven almost 20 years ago.

Thank you for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog today. I appreciate so very much.

Charla

Fifi Flowers said...

First... Happy Birthday Mr Magpie... GORGEOUSE red roses... beautiful outdoor landscapes!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a wonderful post. I hope Mr. Magpie had a great birthday. I love all your photos.
Have a blessed Wednesday!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What a beautiful, beautiful post! Happy birthday to Mr Magpie. Smile.

Ms. Tee said...

Hi Sheila :)
What a beautiful post! I especially loved the ocean photos - sooo pretty. Please tell Mr. Magpie happy birthday for me! Hugs to you~ xoxo

jeanne said...

Hi Sheila, Happy birthday to Mr Magpie. Your post and poem in his honor by Robert Burns, is wonderful. I too have always love that poem and anything written by Burns. Your pics are well chosen and beautiful.

I miss you too and wish I could visit all of my blogging friends more. However, I am enjoying the call of the wild!!!

Tomorrow I will post pics on the Rocky Mountains. It may be two posts I have so many to choose from.

I better get busy or it will be a late night. sigh.

Hugs xoxo...Jeanne

P. said...

Such beautiful flowers and views.

Alfazema

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you again so very much for all of your birthday wishes to Mr. Magpie who wanted me to be sure and tell you, "Many thanks!"

You're the best...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

89 comments, wow, I'm number 90. This is such a special post. Beautiful photos and a wonderful tribute. Thanks for sharing.
Charlotte

Unknown said...

What a lucky guy to be married to someone like you. That is a beautiful birthday tribute and one that I'm sure he will forever remember. You add so much to the universe of blog!
Happy Twirls

Delightfully Wed said...

What a wonderful tribute to your husband. Loved your illustrated poem....fantastic pictures.

The snake did look like it may have been made of clay, but it wasn't. He was a harmless fellow, but I didn't get too close. He is still roaming about the countryside. :)

Delightfully Wed said...

The white dog, Lily is a mix and you're not going to believe this...1/2 rat terrier and 1/2 red heeler. She weighs about 15 lbs. She's quite a little lady and very smart.

The black dog was a stray. Someone brought him to my daughter and told her that he is a chihuahua. He is not a full breed chihuahua but I don't know what he's mixed with. Maybe Min Pin, someone suggested Manchester. He is under 20 lbs....but barely! He is a little rascal!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie...how wonderful this post is Shelia...just loved it...May you have a great day my friend...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

jeanne said...

Hi Sheila, I bet you didn't notice that the bird on my post is a magpie. At least that is what we were told. I posted him in your honor. BIG happy smile for you.

This morning we hiked to a waterfall. Lol. It was two miles with snow on the trail. We just got back and we are taking a nap. I love naps...

Have a splendid day my friend.

Hugs xoxo...Jeanne

RobinfromCA said...

What a lovely tribute to Mr. Magpie on his birthday. The words of "Rabbie" Burns are so wonderful and the photos to go with them are so well chosen. Tell Mr. Magpie a happy belated birthday!

Robin

Kat said...

Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie and his sister. What a beautiful post, such a loving tribute! Gorgeous photos, and perfect verse. Kathy

Unknown said...

This is simply the loveliest post. I hope your hubby enjoyed it as much as I did!

gina said...

Hello Bonnie Lassie Shelia what a great poet and wife you are. Mr Magpie is one lucky lad.

Shirl said...

Hello, I'm still making my Blue Monday visits. Thank you so much for stopping by. That is a quilt on my little chest in my foyer. I buy twin size quilts and cut them down to fit my kitchen table. I make them into a 60 square. I love quilts too and I pick them up when they are on sale. Happy Birthday to your husband. Beautiful post and so was your Blue Monday post!
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

susan said...

Wow! I am the 101st commenter (is that a word?)What a thoughtful tribute--your pictures go so well with the poem, but I would have expected nothing less! Happy birthday Mr. Magpie and congrats to two who are still "love birds"!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

SO lovely and romantic Sheila! HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY to Mr. Magpie! I'm sure he had a very happy celebration!

I loved all your photos ..is that Martha's Vineyard and the Gay Head point and lighthouse? I visited that area once ...so beautiful!

My husband has a special birthday coming very soon and it is one reason I have been slow to visit blogs and answer e-mails lately as we are planning a party for him. I will be having visitors staying with us, so I have been spiffing up the house and buying a portable crib, etc.
Hugs, Pat

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks again from the bottom of our hearts! Mr. Magpie reads my blog at lunch, and he is so appreciative as am I!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Chandy said...

Hello Sheila, better late than never. Sorry for the late visit! Still trying to catch up to everyone! It would seem though you had no problem entertaining visitors. Over a hundred, wow!!

Chandy said...

Belated Happy Birthday to Mr. Magpie!

kymber said...

Beautiful pictures and poem! So moving and romantic!

Happy, Happy Birthday Mr Magpie!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks so much girls! He really appreciates your sentiments and so do I!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rue said...

Mrs. Magpie! I could smack you for not telling me you were posting again!! LOL I didn't even think about it when you said something about your husbands birthday.I thought you were staying away until the first of June for some reason!

Happy Birthday Mr. Magpie!!!

Kiss your beautiful wife for me ;)

Love you Sheila!

rue