
Today is Foodie Friday at the delightful Gollum's equally delightful blog, Designs by Gollum. While I've been on a blogging break, I simply could not allow another Train Wrecks & Bloopers Foodie Friday to go by without participating. Since every day in my kitchen is a train wreck, I decided to shine the spotlight on my big sister. After all, that's what she gets for not reading my blog [among other sins, past and present] ;-)
Christmas for me always evokes images of Norman Rockwell's illustration of a family gathered around the table celebrating together. Growing up, Rockwell's illustration could have easily been our extended family. And divine dishes issued forth from the family kitchen: pecan pie, coconut cake, ambrosia, caramel cake, fudge, divinity, salted pecans, tomato aspic, cranberry congealed salad, hot fruit compote, broccoli casserole, squash casserole, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, teeny tiny biscuits with butter and crab apple jelly or fig preserves, cranberry sauce, bread and butter pickles, stuffed celery, ham with ham sauce, tenderloin with Jezebel sauce, and always everyone's favorite turkey and dressing with homemade gravy! My mother, aunt, and grandmother could have given Paula Deen, Rachael Ray, and Julia Child a run for their money and did... every year!
While my oldest sister was responsible for her own feast that included feeding a large group of my always-on-call-doctor/brother in law's extended family, no matter where we were in the world, my middle sister's family and mine always made the trek home. Then the unthinkable happened. Mama checked out. She up and quit on us. Simply went to Heaven and left us to fend for ourselves. (Gee, thanks, Mama!) ;-) And as if her leaving us weren't bad enough, finding out what she did in that kitchen every year was akin to the shock of discovering there isn't a real Santa Claus!
That first Christmas, my middle sister invited us to come to Charleston (where she was living at the time) and join her family there. She also invited a bunch of friends who were alone and her husband's brother's family. There were over a dozen of us expected for Christmas dinner.
Now, my sister and I can do many things. We can identify silver patterns at a glance. We can talk literature, art, history, and architecture till the cows come home. And speaking of cattle, we can identify a Hereford and an Angus, a Guernsey and a Holstein, a Texas Long Horn and a Brahman. We can saddle a horse in either Western or English tack. We can tell you how to blow your hair dry to get extra lift. We can tell the difference in petit-point and needlepoint, counted cross stitch and cross stitch, tatting and crochet (not saying we can stitch, much less stitch well, but we "know"). We can recite the preamble to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the Twenty-Third Psalm. We can dance everything from the bunny hop to the waltz. We have even been known to host a brunch, a luncheon, a shower, a dinner party, a cocktail party, a picnic, a tea, a coffee, a birthday party, a church banquet, and a fundraiser or two, but Heaven help us when it comes to cooking that infernal bird known as a turkey!

I tried it once, and I have since figured out ways to: A) get invited to someone else's house on major holidays involving turkey or B) become best friends with local restaurants, grocers, or anyone who knows their way around a big bird. On the other hand, my sister married a self-proclaimed turkey expert, the Great Turkey Chef, and since her ex [notice I said EX] husband had served a bird that received rave reviews at Thanksgiving, he gave her explicit instructions on how to cook a turkey breast in the convection oven/microwave for Christmas dinner.
BIG MISTAKE!
Note the following instructions I found online, and I quote:
“Convection Cooking - Produces flavorful, beautifully browned results.”
PEOPLE! PEOPLE! DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!
On Christmas Eve morning, we had cooked ALL morning, and my sister had used every single one of my mother's recipes and did well with them. Then she put the turkey in the convection oven as per the Great Turkey Chef's instructions, and we went upstairs to get ready for the day. I was the first one down and thought I smelled something burning, When I told big sister, she said that she was cooking it according to the Great Turkey Chef's instructions and everything looked fine. So my sister, Mr. Magpie, my niece, and I set out for a day of shopping on King Street and lunching with friends. We would be back in a few hours. The timer was set on the convection oven so we didn't have to worry about that. Yeah. Right. ;-)
We thought when we got home we would be greeted by...

And by...

Instead we were greeted by the Great Turkey Chef turned Mr. Crab...

And by what once had been a turkey breast that now had the consistency of a hockey puck...

And resembled what passes for lunch with a group of headhunters in the Amazon Basin (with slightly less pronounced facial features and minus the hair on the shrunken heads* below)...


And the following head was connected to a gruesomely interesting article on same...

[*Note: You can actually buy these things/replicas (and some really scary ones) on the internet! Maybe we missed our chance to recoup our financial losses when we dipsosed of the turkey puckette before we could carve it into something profitable!]
Depending on your strength, you needed either a hatchet...

A hacksaw...

Or a chain saw ...

To even BEGIN to cut it!
It didn't help our case they we broke into gales of uncontrollable laughter at the sight of what had once been a turkey breast. Nor did it help matters that the Great Turkey Chef [now known as Mr. Crab] had to be at church for the early service, having volunteered to be in charge of the acolytes.
Never fear! The cavalry arrived in the form of S&S Cafeteria, and we got the last pan of sliced turkey in all of Charleston! And furthermore, it was GOOD! And we bought some cornbread dressing from them (because the chaos had made us gun shy), and it was even better than yo' mama makes. They truly saved the day. So I want to give them a shout-out even though it's been many years since they became our heroes! :-)

If I learned one thing from this train wreck, it's that a train wreck doesn't have to be the end of the line. You gotta grow a sense of humor and deal with it. I'm firmly convinced that dinner would have been just as good if we had displayed the charred turkey on a pedestal and then served all of the delicious sides. After all, we had enough to feed an army, but being surrounded by carnivores, we had to make concessions. If that video was playing in Heaven, I know my mother and father were screaming with laughter because they had, among other great attributes, a sense of humor and a love of the absurd.
This also taught me the inestimable value of restaurants in a crisis. I had a similar crisis when we had Mr. Magpie's family for Christmas dinner (mid-day) at our St. Augustine getaway, and the gravy gotaway from me. [Note: we didn't have aka eat Mr. Magpie's family for dinner. We had them OVER for dinner. Just wanted to make that clear with the headhunter mention above!] The chef at the highly acclaimed 95 Cordova bailed me out that time, and as payback, we decided to do Christmas Eve with him there on three different occasions. If you're in St. Augustine, try that restaurant! It's wonderful!

In the mean time, please join our lovely hostess Gollum and her friends by clicking here. There are more train wrecks and bloopers as well as some successful recipes to entertain and tempt you! Thanks for hosting us, Gollum! :-) Oh, and Mama Magpie, if you're looking down from Heaven on the 19th anniversary of your arrival in that locale, I want you to know who is having the last laugh this May 15th. See this spoon...
Yes, that would be the one, the one, in fact, that Daddy bought for his gumbo and oyster stew obsession and on which he changed the monogram from a "K" to an "R" so no one would use it but him, the very spoon you guarded for him like a pit bull guarding a bone...

Well, guess which one of your very own chicks is using said spoon now?! ;-)
Quintessentially yours...
XO,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila) :-)
*(Illustrations above are by famed "Saturday Evening Post" illustrator Norman Rockwell)




73 comments:
What a great read! I thouroughly enjoyed every bit of it! You are the greatest storyteller ever and I am so happy that you are back, Mrs. Magpie!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Jane
Yes, it was a great story and so well told. I just can't believe that YOU can't cook a turkey!
Love the spoon!!
Hi Sheila!
So good to see you blogging again! This had me in stitches laughing!
Ive cooked the Thanksgiving turkey for my entire family since I was 23 years old ...believe me it can be done! A slow low 325 degreeoven and cook it by the weight -- keep it covered with a tent of foil until the last 1/2 hour, basting now and then with some oil and pan juices. Then let it sit out of the oven on the counter for about 15 minutes covered with foil before you cut it so it can cool a little so the juices don't all run out when it is carved.
Now don't ask me to identify cows or recite the Preamble ..lol
Hugs, Pat
wonderful story! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan
Aw great story LOL. I'm glad everything worked out for you guys! :) I love that little chickie!
All the best,
Allison
That's a great story! And you have really put the perfect pictures with it! Linda
Love this! The pictures were perfect!
Robin
All Things Heart and Home
Our families should get together for the holidays--all crazy! I love that you have the gumbo spoon--good going chick! Thanks for a LOL post!
I am laughing so hard from your funny creative post.
Joyce
i have to start with this:
yaaaaaayyyyyy! sheila got a post in!
i've missed your hilarious antedotes and silly stories.
and this was a good one :)
and i must say...you are a very well-rounded person....the declaration of independence AND the bunny hop. i'm impressed.
great to see you again.
chasity
I love it!! Wonderful story, Sheila!!
Wonderful...loved it every single bit...I sure missed you!!
:) LOL !!!! Welcome back you delightful QM :)
Well I can BELIEVE it...I mean really, there is something not quite right if a magpie were to cook a turkey...!!!LOL LOL
PS: Thanks for the link info!!! :) xo
XO
Hooray!! What a return. :-)
This is a fabulous post... I LOVE that your dad CHANGED THE MONOGRAM! Talk about dedication to the cause. :-) I'm the only one in my family (aside from my dad's sister) who cooks, so it's my mom who's always like, "where did you come from, and how do you know how to cook that?" LOL!
P.S. How DO I blow my hair dry to get extra lift?
;-)
Hi Sheila
I really enjoyed reading your fun story this morning. Your big family Christmases sound lovely. Sorry your turkey got burnt! In 2007 my husband bought the turkey and he put it in our extra fridge outside in the garage. The next day when I went in there the fridge door had been left open nearly 20 hours! It was 3 days until Christmas day and we couldn't chance it being ok until then. I had to cook it straight away and then buy another one to cook for Christmas Day. When my guests arrived to stay it was 2 days before Christmas and I fed them turkey for 2 days! Then they had the other turkey on Christmas Day. They must have thought I had gone mad! I didn't want any more turkey for a very long time!!
Glad you are back brightening my day.
Lindsay
x
I loved this one! I'm a firm believer in restaurants & making reservations! It certainly relieves the stress of cooking, burning, cutting myself, & forgetting key ingredients, etc! ☺ Diane
Hi Sheila,
Hoorah!!! What a wonderful and delightful story! Your parents sound so wonderful and this Turkey story is so similar to my families. When my Mom burnt baked corn, she told us it was from a ancient Indian recipe and oh we believed. My SIL swears that my mom keeps a fake turkey in the sink to make us believe she is cooking one for us. Actually, my mom is a good cook, but a bit humerous too. Hugs, Cindy
What a great story! I would have loved to see the look on the "great turkey chef's" face! I've been hosting Thanksgiving dinner since Cait was born, at this point I could probably cook a turkey in my sleep. But that first year I was terrified! Thanks for a great start to my day! Kathy
That was a great story! Touching, funny, informative - it has it all AND with great illustrations! :D Jewel
You are a talented writer, and I enjoyed that.
Oh, what a great story and story teller you are. I enjoyed my visit!
Too funny! Thanks for sharing.
amy@maisonbelle
You have been terribly missed, Sheila...so good to finally have you back, for however long it might be!
Your posts are always such an adventure! What happened to the turkey is hilarious! You're so right...you have to just roll with the punches sometimes. Glad everything worked out in the end and, just think about it, the story will go down in history!
Have a wonderful weekend, sweet friend! You've made my day!
Sheila, you should write a book, your stories are so fun and you are a great storyteller. Always love to have you come by. Wish we could meet up in person one of these days. Hope your weekend is a good one. xoxo
Oh this was so good! I can just picture and smell it! I'm so glad your back in the saddle. At least for this post! ~ Robyn
Oh my goodness, that is hysterical! I know my bovine too, but Sheila that old bird has gotten the best of me too on more than one occasion.
That is a great story. When disaster strikes around here we always remind ourselves that it will make a great story later. You just proved that point!
Very cute post!
Love your positive attitude, on a day that has to be tough for you. Enjoy your Daddy's spoon! ;o)
What a hilarious story!! I'm wiping away tears :)
I haven't had any turkey mishaps - yet...I'd better keep my fingers crossed though, you never know when the train's gonna wreck.
You should definitely try San Sebastian next time you're in St. Augustine. The tour and tastings are free, and we haven't sampled anything we didn't love.
Thanks for visiting me today!
Lisa
That was a fun post and story.
thank you for sharing.
I hope you'll be back from your blogging break soon..but then we all need some time to catch up..
have a lovely day
Judi
Gosh Sheila, I was never so intent on finding out what happened to a turkey roast before. Your story is outlandish and a piece of great literary fun. Hooray! you're back...just when I am leaving. sigh.
The spoon story gave me a good laugh, as did the rest of your story. Sheila, no one tells a story like you.
Tomorrow we are leaving for the great West adventure and we won't be home for six, that's right '6' weeks. I will post when I can and can find service but when and where is the question???? AND...I am not packed! Company left this am, I had a Dr. appt. for my knee release visit and we took my sister and our friend Linda to lunch for their birthdays. I practically dropped on the couch for a badly needed nap and now I am writing a book to you my dear friend. I MUST pack but.... the car is in town with my dh getting 16 tons of mud washed off because I had to drive on a wet dirt road to take the birthday girls home. Can it get any worse?
This is so absurd, I can't do anything but laugh.
Love you lots and I hope this comment will last awhile, because I have no idea when I will be commenting again.
Hugs and xoxo...Jeanne
Wonderful post as always!!! You should write a book Sheila, we would all buy it and LOVE it!!!! You're the best! Oh my goodness, that silver pattern and the initial is incredible!!!! What is the name of the pattern? I love that it was your dad's and that now you are using it; what memories! BTW, I am sending extra hugs and cyberspace love your way today, on the anniv. of your mom's passing...you are being prayed for and loved! Welcome back...we missed you so much!
Welcome back my friend, I thoroughly enjoyed this post you ARE a wonderful storyteller, this story had everything, it had me giggling, gasping, very impressed, a tiny bit shocked (those headhunters hehe) and a little teary too, love your spoon and love that you are back, happy weekend, hugs, Kathy.
Welcome back from your break.I missed your tales.
Your parents definitely were laughing and laughing at the turkey "fun".
While I can roast a turkey, I would rather have your list of accomplishments. Dealing with that nauseating raw bird makes me upset. Even with disposable gloves, the entire procedure is too much for prissy me. I would rather make the pies and stuffing.
I enjoyed every bit of this tale of turkey woe. The pictures too.
What a great story, I love all the details. From the shrunken head to the monogrammed fork, hilarious!
That was so funny! I always catch mine on fire. So now my uncles cook them and bring them to my house. LOL!
Girl, that was so funny! I should do one on my daughters, They have been taking turns the last couple of years of holiday cooking and realize they can not cook as much as Mother did. I have given lessons on the turkey, dressing and sweet potato pie. The rest they do on their own. They have given up!Now, its Breakfast and visit someone or back to sandwiches. lol Thanks for stopping by.
Hi sweetie, great story! I hope you come join us at "I Antique Online". We could use some creative posts and photos. Thanks for the lovely remark on my blog. Have a wonderful weekend.
me again!. you are the funniest, sweetest lady, you have gotta stop making me giggle though, I have a roulade to crack ops I mean bake. bbfn, Kathy.
This was a great post, Sheila. I've missed your blogging☺
Girl First I want to say thanks for coming back...I really have missed your fun posts my friend...then you made me wished I had a sister sighs..No one in this wonderful world of blogging can tell a story the way you can..I have always ejoyed coming here since I started blogging 6 months ago your the best girl..Now the chain saw turkey was too funny...Girl I had made bread that you could use for brick building..May you have a wonderful weekend my friend (ps glad you got the spoon) Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Hi Sheila, I moved her photo to the left. Check it out. You don't have to comment again but I love it when you do. BIG smile.
Love ya...Jeanne
One Thanksgiving...my hubby decided he wanted to make the turkey. Well, if one or two garlic cloves are good for a little flavor then...inserting a couple dozen or so, under, over and in between the carcass will produce a flavor beyond belief. Which was correct, just not the way he'd envisioned. He exclaimed... "You can never have to much garlic."
After that first bite of the garlic infused bird we begged to differ!
That was the year we ate side dishes and skipped the main course.
Now you and I have great stories to tell around the Thanksgiving table.
In case you were wondering...my hubs has never attempted another Thanksgiving turkey again.
Sweet wishes,
Sara
Thank you so much for stopping by my new blog. I'm quickly discovering one of the best parts of blogging is being introduced to a lot of great blogs I have never visited before...like yours.
This story was hysterical. You are a very gifted storyteller. I also thoroughly enjoyed your profile description. :)
I'm adding you to my blog sidebar and I'll be back for more visits.
Too funny. We have the opposite problem at our house. John won't let me put the turkey in until it's too late. He doesn't want the turkey to cook too long and be dry. So instead it comes out raw and everyone has to wait for hours. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
I'm feeling better today. Started on my medication. Hopefully that will help.
You should definitely write books! Thanks for stopping by my blog, so I could enjoy yours.
Oh my goodness this is too funny! Love you tale!
Too funny Sheila! Glad we aren't the only ones that can mess up turkey!
Great story!
Sheila, what a delightful story, told only as you can tell ... with humor, inspiration, grace, love, and eloquence. I loved it, and I am so glad you're back!
Shelia, Reception here is very poor anbd I am bootlegging off someone's wireless. I couldn't see all your pictures or read all your post, but I am so glad you are back....it didn't matter. Hope to be back with pictures on Monday. Hope everything is better with you.
Hugs from Sedona
Good morning Sheila :)
I loved this post!! Why is that darn turkey so hard to cook?! I can make anything, but that bird gives me fits everytime.
Welcome back to Blogland Miss Q, you were missed!
love,
rue
Sheila As always, what a nice story. And this one's amusing. You must really have a good laugh everytime you think back. But I bet there weren't any smiles at that exact moment :-)
So glad you had a "break" from your break to get this one up. Enjoyed reading it very much. You always make people smile.
as always Shelia your post is terrific. You really are funny and a great story teller.
That was really good! And I agree train wrecks happen, deal with it!
I remember one year we had gone to VT skiing for Tgiving..friends new house..well the oven quit mid way, so a beer box and microwave finished Tom off! Near train wreck, but ingenuity saved the day!
Thanks for your visit!
HAPPY PINK SATURDAY AND BELATED FOODIE FRIDAY.
HYSTERICALLY FUNNY...WONDERFUL STORY. LOVED IT. YOU ARE AWESOME.
HUGS
debbie
Well now Mrs. Magpie, that was very entertaining. One day you and I will have to have a chat about cooking!!
I'm a very "no frills" kind of gal. If something burns, we go out... no questions asked. lol
You have a way with stories that keep us glued to our screens.
I feel all of your tenderness sitting right here 3,000 miles away.
I have researched DHA
(docosahexaenoic acid)
Circulatory, Nervous System Support so far so good. I will keep you in the loop.
Sending much love
Love Claudie
xoxoxoxoxo
Oh, that is so funny, Sheila! I'm glad you had a restaurant nearby that saved your dinner. Tomorrow, my stepdaughter is getting married and of course she is nervous. DH said that wedding booboos are even better than perfect weddings because they are something you still talk about years later. They make the occasion unforgettable, LOL! I guess your turkey dinner is the same thing...Christine
Oh, you are such a great storyteller, Sheila! Why is it always the Thanksgiving bird that seems to go awry?? lol Love the story about your dad's spoon, too. I hope you are having a great weekend...hugs...Debbie
Hi Sheila--it's good to see you back with such a fun post. You are a true story teller! I especially love your Norman Rockwell pictures. I am a big fan of his and used to live near his home/studio in Stockbridge, Mass. Seeing his paintings in person is a great experience.
That was a FUN read!!! I am laughing away now!!!
I am so glad to come here and find your face smiling at all of us.
You have me grinning and giggling. I have been to that same cafeteria in Charleston many, many times.
I do confess that I can cook a great turkey. Come on over for a lesson. You'll be surprised just how easy it is.
:) xo :)
LOL
Question 1. Chairs? well they are going in the medical spa waiting room :)
Question 2. Hallmark? Yes...and I am giddy with anticipation!
XO :) Happy Musical/Mystery Muse Monday
(LOL)...PENDING (not really) LOL
This post is soooo funny. My microwave is only used for heating up and popcorn. I have had two different folks make deep fried turkey. This is another way to prepare turkey which you need to pass on, thank you very much. Yuck
Hi Sheila...It's great to be back from my bloggy break that almost broke us...$$$...and thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog. I have really, really missed coming by your blog & seeing what great stories you have posted... It's always a fun time. BTW, like you, I thought the wood floors were just snapped into place...& it is so with laminates...but not hardwoods...so our prep & installation cost a little more than the wood did...but I'm still thrilled to have them in our den. See ya later, ;-) Bo
Everyone needs a terrible turkey story at least once in their life to provide for such memories for years to come! :)
Hi Sheila!
You're are sooo funny - you had me dying with the turkey puckette! I didn't even know you had been online - so sorry I'm just getting over to visit. I've been off, too - busy busy. :) I loved your story - loved it. Hope you have a wonderful week! xoxo
Well, Mrs. Magpie, you've done it again! You've entertained with a great story, included a lesson (we all could use a sense of humor at the gravest of times- especially when FOOD is concerned!) and illustrated with some great photos!
Thanks for the laughs!
I never read long blogs, usually too drawn out and boring, but I was hooked from the beginnng and read every word. Great story!!
thanks for your prayers and words of comfort...
xoxo
chasity
I'mn so glad you decided to post because I always enjoy reading them. I always cook Thanksgiving dinner now that my parents are gone and believe me, I've had many bloopers too :>) I hope you have a wonderful week. Thank you for all of the lovely comments you have left on my blog ♥
Hi Sheila
Yes there is a frenchman on DWTS...his name is Gilles and if you haven't watched it yet tonight is your night to watch at 9:00. He is one of the 3 still dancing...wow...you'll be up dancing......
Judi
I absolutely love your blog!!! Very entertaining!
Post a Comment