Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Nautical Notes: A Martha's Vineyard Mariner's Cottage


Good Morning on this fine Blue Monday ! Today, I thought I would take you on a tour of my cousin's former summer home in Martha's Vineyard and that I would also hook up with Met Monday (for the first time). While I have some nice blue shots for Sally's Blue Monday group, I only have the "afters" in the metamorphosis. Trust me, it underwent a complete makeover. So I hope my word counts, Susan! ;-) If not, the home was featured in Renovation Style Winter 2008 issue as the cover story, and they do have some of the "before" shots in the article. It was quite the transformation, and I am very proud of all the architecturally sensitive design work my cousin did on this project!

When we visited Dudley on a trip through New England a few summers ago, the skies were this blue on Martha's Vineyard the whole trip (except for one rainy afternoon)!



The photograph above is a view of the right side of the house. There are wood shakes on the back of the house and on the dormers, a wood shake roof, and clapboard siding on the front. He remodeled it extensively and expertly as he is an architect and does this for a living.

The house was originally a mariner's cottage with a 250 square foot section dating to 1834 and other sections dating to later renovations. Dudley actually tore off the main addition that was poorly executed and reconfigured the bulk of the house on the back. He also added other areas on the right side. Please feel free to click on the pictures to enlarge them for details...

Here is another shot of the front, and it's every bit as immaculately remodeled as it looks...



Here is the detail on his front portico which he remodeled after a design he found on another home in the area. The arch is a Moorish detail known as an ogee arch, and the only reason he used it is because it was previously introduced on an historic property nearby. There are stringent requirements for remodeling in Edgartown, and it pays off because the town is just pristine. It's one of my favorite towns in the United States. That is the storm door standing open on the porch... oops! ;-) Not sure (he told me, but I can't remember) why he chose a Moravian star hanging fixture for the porch except I know that the design for the star was first executed around the time the house was built...



I love his pool...



And I also love the fencing in the yard...



He added both to the property. We took these shots long before blogging existed for me. Had it been after, I would have gotten a good shot of the lovely hydrangeas in the yard. Hydrangeas bloom in profusion in Edgartown. Dudley had white hydrangeas to the side of the outdoor living room. I clipped them off completely in this next shot. Oops...



The outdoor living room is wonderful because it has a fireplace for chilly New England nights outside. Note, too, that is has the quintessential blue porch ceiling as well as teak furniture that weathers well...



There is a second story sun deck that affords a view of the pool...



And also a view of a private club next door...



I loved watching these people play in period tennis attire...



We were there to visit just shortly after the floors dried and the furniture was placed. I only have shots of the public areas (our computer crashed with the others), but this will give you an idea of the inside. Bear in mind that this is a summer home and was decorated as such. It gets pretty cold on the island in winter.

Here is a shot of what Dudley has termed the reception hall, standing just outside the sitting room and looking toward the living room...



I think the rugs in the house are from Dash & Albert, and they are fun wool stripes in blues and neutrals. They also have wonderful hanging lanterns throughout the reception hall.

Now if you turn right a little further into the reception hall, there is the dining room. Off the dining room is a sun room with lots of windows. This room parallels the outdoor living room/porch which is off the breakfast room in the back section of the house....



Returning to the reception hall, notice the handsome wood paneling. The front door is to the right and the living room straight ahead...



Here's a little closer shot of the antique cane-bottom chairs that flank the fireplace. They were my favorite pieces in the house, and this is my only shot of them. Go figure! Maybe one day, I will learn how to enlarge my pictures...



This is a shot as you peep into the living room and look left. He had quite a bit of blue and white porcelain in here. This is also prior to him making final decisions on window treatments...



Then a shot of the living room as you look back toward the reception hall and the front door. I love the fish prints over the sofa (you can click on the picture to enlarge and see them better)...



Here's a shot of the fireplace and a coffee table with some carpet bowls (remember my lecture one Blue Monday???) on the table. The bench in front of the fireplace is pale blue and matches the stripes in the rug. And Joni, if you're out there, he had this rug custom cut to fit around the fireplace. You're right about it giving a room a custom, finished look...



Here's a shot standing in the living room doorway and looking at the staircase and back toward the reception hall that leads to the sitting room/kitchen/breakfast room area...



This is a shot of the sitting room...



The sitting room, kitchen, and breakfast room all open into each other. Through the French doors in this next shot is the outdoor living room and pool...



The breakfast room also has a view of the pool. That is a basket of faux Osage oranges on the table...



This is a friend of Dudley's who came over for lobster dinner with us. Immediately behind her, you see that the walls in this area of the kitchen and breakfast room were wood and so neat. And look how tall the windows are...



Here's a shot of the kitchen. Dudley would kill me if he knew I showed this because he was making a funny face grimace when Mr. Magpie snapped the picture, but I wanted you to see the cabinets. I cut out most of the grimace,LOL!, but you can still see the subway tile around the stove and the glass front cabinets that flank the main ones. Oh, and Dudley could have gone to the rooster party in Blogville with his rooster up there...



That little pewter sand bucket on the counter was our hostess gift to Dudley (who had on his Blue Monday shirt in this shot). The little bucket is actually an ice bucket we purchased at a great shop in Ellsworth, Maine. Dudley likes toys, too! ;-)



I guess the metamorphosis here is Dudley himself, who people have mistaken for Harrison Ford (minus Harrison Ford's earring) and who is smiling in this next shot...



But who wouldn't be smiling with an ice cream cone in one hand and a backdrop of the nearby Atlantic Ocean and a blue sky overhead, particularly when you're summering on Martha's Vineyard??? It's my idea of paradise...





Thank you for visiting me today. I look forward to visiting you in return. :-)

I'd like to thank our lovely hostesses, Sally and Susan, for hosting these fun events. Please join me also in visiting them and their friends. You may click on the event titles (not the logo pictures) to get to the blogs: Blue Monday and Met Monday!





Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

118 comments:

Lorrie said...

What a lovely house Sheila, I loved getting the tour of it through your eyes as a family member. I would have no trouble at all spending my summer there!

This West London Life said...

What a stunning house! I'd live in it all year round!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
You have just shown me my dream house. I love everything about it. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's decorated and furnished so beautifully and the pool and outdoor seating area look perfect. The views are amazing too. New England is very high on my wish list of places I would like to visit. Your cousin is so lucky.
Lindsay
x

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, what a gorgeous home. It is simply stunning inside and out. I was just drooling all the way through it. So Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hello Sheila,
Wow oh Wow! I made all the pics bigger and it is so worth it because you feel like your right there! This is an awesome home and those last two shots should be framed! I was lucky enough to be on Martha's Vineyard once about 20 years ago and I'll never forget how fabulous it is! Even the name Dudley just fits there so perfectly! Thanks for the tour, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dear Sheilaness! What a beautiful home your cousin has! It's hard to imagine that beautiful thing is only a summer house! Man! I love the outside and all of the attention he paid to all the details. The inside is gorgeous! He has very good taste and I'm sure he inherited it from you! :)
And your cuz is a handsome man!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia
Oh, thank you for asking about my daughter. She is supposed to see another specialist this week and hopefully have a procedure that will really help her. Little babykins is wriggling all around! :)

The Old Parsonage said...

That house is so beautiful, it's simple and classic and I WANT TO BE THERE!!!

And you cousin seriously does look like Harrison Ford!

Have a great night!
Leann

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Gorgeous--I feel relaxed just viewing the pool and water shots!!

Kammy said...

What beautiful pictures ! I love all that white !
Kammy

podso said...

Thanks for the great tour of a gorgeous home!

Lori said...

All I can say is WOW!!!!

Thanks for the tour!!!

xinex said...

Hi Sheila! Your cousin's house is gorgeous! I love everythign about it. What a view! Email me if you want to learn how to enlarge your blog pictures. I can help you, it's quite easy.....Christine

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Shelia, What a fantastic house and a wonderful tour! The shots of the water are just gorgeous. Looks like paradise to me, too. Linda

AndrƩann said...

What a grate place!!!
Everything's so calm...

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sheila! What a beautiful home! I think I would camp beside that outdoor fireplace! I love all of the attention to detail...gorgeous!
Yes, the Aristocats were photographed in their new habitat...on top of my coffee table books...with my beloved Charles Faudree on the top of the stack! They are both there, though only one of them was peeping into the photo. I love having them there to keep me company when I have my morning coffee! It was a wonderfully sweet gift that is much appreciated!! I hope all is going well for you and that your life is a little less hectic! Have a happy week!...hugs...Debbie
PS I love Kevin Kline, too! Have you ever seen "Princess Caraboo" with his wife Phoebe Cates, too? My favorite!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Beautiful pictures of a lovely home!
Thank you for the compliment...but girl - trust me, this ole girl has seen better days! But as my husband always quickly reminds me...I am breathing!!!
Have a great week friend.

CIELO said...

You've been invited! Come celebrate your home with us in "Show off your cottage Monday"!

cielo

The Stylish House said...

Sheila,
I enjoyed viewing this jewel of a home. It is evident what skill and care went into its quality remodel. I’ve never been to Martha’s Vineyard, but my sister has a lovely home in Newport that I have enjoyed. I definitely want to make the trip next time I’m in the area.
Cathy

From the Old InkWell said...

What a wonderful tour of a beautiful home and surroundings. I guess my favorite part would be the outdoor sitting area in front of the outdoor fireplace. I could just visualize cozying up there with a cup of hot cocoa!!

Unknown said...

I could stand to visit there! What a wonderful home. I can't even imagine living somewhere like that.

Gwen said...

What a beautiful place. I have never been that far east, but just seeing your pictures makes me realize that I need to visit the "other" coast!

Thanks for visiting me and I hope that we see much more of each other.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Dudley has a spectacular house Sheila! How could he part with it? It must have been heaven to visit him...and he does look like Harrison Ford..,very handsome!

I love Martha's Vineyard! My favorites are the gingerbread cottages in Oak Bluffs.

Have awonderful week!

Hugs, Pat

sarah { abeachcottage } said...

OMG!

absolutely stunning

wish I coulda visited with you!

Sarah

Phyllis @Around the House said...

wow it is a beautiful home, very well done, I should have that, don't you think??

Blondie's Journal said...

I am so impressed with your cousin's former home and all of the remodeling and rstoration he did. The home is just lovely and how I would love to have a FULL time residence there. We loved Edgarton and plan to go back soon.

Wonderful post, Sheila!!

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour of this sweet mariners cottage!! Picture perfect!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

WOW! What a beautiful Home - thanks so much for sharing. Have a great week.
Glenda

Marianne said...

That house is absolutely gorgeous! Ah something to dream about forever.

Natasha in Oz said...

That is my dream house-beautifully renovated. I love everything about it. Thank you for sharing these stunning images with us. Best wishes, NM.

niartist said...

Now that's a home Sheila! Thanks for sharing, and lucky Dudley!! Wow, love that house! Thanks for sharing! :)

Tardevil said...

Gorgeous photos. He was quite lucky to own that for a summer home. Can't imagine what his "winter home" looks like! Thanks for sharing.

MaR said...

What a beautiful summer home, love the outdoor living room with the fireplace!! everything looks like from a magazine!!
Love it!
Happy Blue Monday!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I love your cousin's home. It is splendid. No wonder it made a magazine cover.

Tamara Jansen said...

Wow! What a GORGEOUS home!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Oh, what a stunning home!

EJ said...

Oh my goodness, my eyes are full now with your beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.. That's a grand mansion right there..

My first BM entry

Pearl Maple said...

Fantastic photos.
Followed your link off the beach cottage, the word vineyard will lure me in every time, it has a special place in my heart and the style is unmistakeable.

Thank you for brightening up our day.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Fabulous shots of this gorgeous home and of Martha's Vineyard! Thanks so much for sharing these...Enjoy your BLUE MONDAY and be sure to come visit when you have a minute!

SmilingSally said...

Sheila, what a gorgeous place your handsome cousin has! I love that there's so much white because that set off the blues. And he has so many beautiful pieces of blue and white. Happy Blue Monday.

susan said...

Be still my heart..Dudley looks like Harrison Ford, owns that spectacular house in that spectacular place AND loves ice cream..it's too much :)What gorgeous details in that house--love the skirts on the chairs. Yes, I will come and decorate your house for Halloween..I'll decorate Dudley's too :)

Roeshel said...

Wow. What a beautiful home - it's a dream. Thank you for the tour! :)

Roeshel

CC said...

That house is beyond gorgeous..and. your cousin is a very fortunate man.
I think if that house was mine, I would live all year round. I don't think I could leave it. Happy Blue Monday..have a lovely day.

Unknown said...

OMG, that is the most perfect house! I know the weather can be brutal in winter, but I'd want to live in it year round too!

And he does look like Harrison Ford, when he was still young and very good looking!!!

Nancy said...

Such a gorgeous home! The outcome is impeccable. And, who doesn't love Martha's Vineyard?

Southern Lady said...

Sheila, as I toured your cousin's exquisite summer home, I felt as if I was watching an episode of This Old House, showing the "after" pictures. One of my favorite features is the beautiful paneling in the foyer area ... I would have that in every room of my house, if I could.

Thank you for sharing Dudley's beautiful home -- it is truly a masterpiece, and he is obviously a very gifted and talented architect.

gengen said...

Wow very beautiful house just a dream to have a home like that...Thanks for sharing. Mine is also ready.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a splendid house, Sheila! Love the views of the water! Thank you for the wonderful tour and have a Happy Blue Monday.

Blessings,
Sandi

kate said...

what wonderful photos of a great home, thanks for sharing!! dudley is devine....also the period costumes for tennis, what great fun!!!
thanks again
kate

LV said...

I really enjoyed the tour of that neat place. A very lovely home. I believe you had enough blue to justify your Blue Monday showing. I am so pleased you dropped by and left a sweet comment.

Baba said...

Wow.. I am drinking a cup of hot apple cider and enjoying my tour of this fabulous home...I could easily sit out on the porch and enjoy the outdoors.. thanks for sharing all of your pictures...I enjoyed viewing them bigger after I clicked onto them..

What a handsome male cousin you have in the family..have a great day.
Baba

Anonymous said...

Good morning Sheila, Wow! What an absolutely beautiful house. I could not even imagine what it would be like to live there so close to the ocean. Thank you so much for sharing. I love the period tennis they play there too. How much fun is that!

Maria Berg said...

I want to live at that place iLOVE The outdoor living room is wonderful because it has a fireplace!!!!

Take care,
Maria Berg

Tammy@InStitches said...

That is just beautiful ! So classic and fresh.

Queen B. said...

ooooooooooooo i love, love, love, love,...did i say love ? Yes...I LOVE THIS POST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

jeanne said...

Wow, Sheila, this tour was fantastic. I enlarged every photo and loved every photo you have shared. What a stunning home and views as well. I have never been there but now I have a yearning to go to Martha's Vineyard. Your cousin is very handsome and does look like Harrison Ford in his younger years. He has constructed a magical makeover on his home.

Thanks for your sweet comment on my post. I have shown parts of my bedroom before, but I tweaked it a little, so my bedroom AGAIN. I do love the room very much. When I want peace and quiet, that is where I go.

It is so cold here. We were in FL for the weekend and came home to 31 degrees. Our house was a freezer.

Did you get your St. Augustine home all cleaned for company? It is so much work to have two homes. Just the small guest cabin presents a cleaning challenge.

Have a wonderful day my friend.

Love, xoxo, Jeanne

Historical sites with charmine said...

WOW!This is a charming house in a spectacular setting.It is very martha's vineyard!I love this home,thanks for sharing this .Happy blue monday.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sheila, this is a gorgeous home that has somehow managed to stay comfortable and inviting. It must have been wonderful to visit. When you visited the place where I hang out you asked about sweet potatoes - no, don't use them as they would change the nature of the dish. You could, however, puree some rice with a bit of water and use that instead. I hope you are having a wonderful Blue Monday.

April said...

Sheila...now THAT is my DREAM HOUSE if I've ever seen it! Pure HEAVEN! So happy you shared it with all of us! Big hugs to you!

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

What beauty, and vision for a home owner's dream, It is just gorgeous, every little detail just pops. What a lovely tour, thank you.

Anita Diaz said...

Oh it is simply gorgeous!! I could definitely spend some time there! Thanks for coming by my place. THe paint color is actually Walmart Colorplace "Wetlands." It is really good paint and is made by Sherwin Williams. I have used several different colors and find it is just as good as more expensive brands.

Regina said...

Great photos and wonderful post!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

What a gorgeous home! How fun to take in all that beauty.

Moore Minutes said...

This is my first met monday post too!

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I would LOVE to escape there for a few days. And the beach is so romantic looking too. Thank you so much for sharing.

Happy Met Monday!
http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/10/walls-wrapped-in-charm.html

Autumn said...

Beeeeautiful house. So so lovely.

LukesLove said...

Pretty house! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OMG Shelia...I'm up for adoption girl and I'm all house broke and I do windows and floors...I just loved this house WOW!! I bet a leave would't dare blow in that yard and mess it up ha ha!! Now girl I did enlarge Dudley and he does look like my heart throb....Just a beautiful home...made my old heart skip a beat house and Dudley...Thanks for coming by my friend...I hope all is well on your side of the mountain today...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sandra said...

What a beautiful home, Sheila! Just beautiful!

Sheila, I also wanted to tell you that hubby bought the paint gun at Harbor Freight for 59.99. This is the link.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90977
Have a wonderful day my friend!
Sandra

Lady Katherine said...

very lovely type 1 hand had pic line surgery this morn lot of pain go wed for major surgery

dee dee said...

What a beautiful place! He didi a excellent job creating the perfect look for the home! Thank you for sharing!
Dee Dee

Shy said...

Hi Sheila, Your cousins summer home is so lovely and huge. Wow! How can she maintain keeping the place so clean and its not just little place is a big house and yard with nice pool. Thank you for the tour, I enjoyed looking at the picture

cindy@cottage instincts said...

Gorgeousness in the extreme. Wow. Thanks for sharing it with us drooling bloggers :o) And thanks for stopping over my place!
peace.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That house is just stunning!

I have a linky party and a plea for help @ my place: http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-bedroom-conundrum.html Want to check it out? (I apologize if you already linked, 1/2 asleep. LOL)

Miranda said...

What a beautiful house!

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

This house is a dream! Love the neutrals, the fluffy couches, the beautiful staircase. I could live here in an instant!

Signing Out said...

Sheila, Dudley's summer home is truly amazing! Wow, it looks like it should be featured in Coastal Living. I live in MA, and Edgartown is gorgeous!

Jane

Jane F at Atticmag said...

Such a wonderful house. It's not often you seen outdoor living room in New England. Thanks for this very special tour and for stopping by to see my new kitchen today.

Jean Stockdale said...

What a lovely house. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for taking time to comment on my "baby blues." These are our Baby Grands. The little blond guy belongs to our oldest son and looks just like he did. And the little olive skinned baby belongs to our youngest son, and he looked just like that at that age. So fun watching our boys raise their boys!!

Blessings.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Simply stunning! Thanks for the tour! I really love the neutral color palette with touches of blue. So calm and serene.

deb said...

What a gorgeous home!!! SUmmer vacation would be so fun!
*hugs*Deb

akawest said...

Very handsome (and a great house)!

Ms. Tee said...

Hey Sheila! You were so right - I LOVE your cousin's house. It couldn't be any more perfect. And on Martha's Vineyard? please!:) I think one of my favorite things were the light fixtures - they're gorgeous. Thanks for having the tour! xoxo

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Sheila this is a stunning tour in every way! Love it all!

Many blessings sweet lady, ~Melissa :)

Fifi Flowers said...

BEAUTIFUL place!!!

DesignTies said...

Wow, what a beautiful home!! I love all the wonderful tall windows -- the house must be flooded with sunlight all summer long :-)

Thanks for the tour :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Unknown said...

Ohhhh I just drooled over every photo! Just beautiful... thank you so much for sharing such incredible photos and what a bummer your puter crashed!

Have a great week ahead!
~Really Rainey~

Carly said...

enjoyed the tour. Such a beautiful quaint house! I really like the way that you used the theme in a fun and interesting way!

Tardevil said...

Hi Shelia,
Thanks for coming back by to visit. I should have taken the time to respond to everyone that was so kind to come by and visit, but I only got a few in each time I sit down, so I would forget where I stopped, and eventually just gave up. I bet he did make a bundle renting out that home. I'm sure you enjoyed your time there. Would love to see his other home! Hope you're doing well, and I'll try to visit and post more soon. LOL!

Haley said...

Wowee! What a gorgeous house! Any chance you can host a party for your blogger friends there? :)
xox, Haley

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Sheila...that is one amazing house! It's gorgeous inside and out! I loved all the outdoor spaces...and the views...oh my, what views! Dudley did an amazing job...love the icecream pic. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful home for MM...absolutely loved it!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for the comments you posted on my blog. I love the pics of Martha's Vineyard. When My Hubby retires we are thinking for taking a trip in the fall to all the New England States. Wished could do that now, but something to look forward to in a few years.

Willow

the wild raspberry said...

that is a perfectly gorgeous home...
love the uncluttered look of it.

ps my dad is a dudley too

Becky K. said...

So gorgeous!

All of that white and perfection would make me nervous...but what eye candy!!!!

Becky K.

LADY JANE said...

Oh my dear Ms. Magpie..I only came to covet thy fabric and I got a lovely tour instead! Thank you so much my dear...I needed a little vacation you know...with the Grammy countdown to 12 days this Grammy has been quite busy! Missed ya! Huggies to you!!!!!! (lol...huggies???..yep...Grammy mode here)

This West London Life said...

Hi Sheila, You're the winner of my Pink Saturday GiveAway this week! Perhaps you could email me your contact details to roo1968@yahoo.co.uk. Congratulations!

Rosemary said...

OMG!
What an amazing home!
Thanks so much for the tour.
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your very nice comments.
Rosemary

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Sheila, I loved this tour of Dudley's Martha's Vineyard house. WOW, it's gorgeous! Thanks for letting me know about it. I can see why you enjoyed visiting & I would love to visit that part of the country some day. xoxo

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a beautiful place to live and the scenic views are amazing! And Dudley's a handsome one!
Brenda

claudie said...

Wait... I wanted to be your 100th commentor, so I will write slow, I'm number 98...98 WOW. I think it's because DUDLEY stole my heart. Woops! shouldn't have said that. shhhhhhhhhh
Your right Mrs. Magpie, it is just beautiful, but I still love yours even better ; )
This could have been a WHITE WEDNESDAY post, there is sooooo much white in there. I bet he didn't eat bubble gum ice cream in that beauty?
I could camp out in front of that fire place for sure.
Oh about insomnia, I guess you and me will be partaying all night long to some Lionel Ritchie tunes.
Glad you liked the church. I did too. I'm not sure about my bed being at the altar!!!!!!!!!!! I think I would have "guilt" written all over my face ; )
Oh come on March.
Love to you
Love Claudie
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sue said...

What a treat. Thank you for sharing your families home with us. It is the perfect Martha's Vineyard Cottage.

Adelaide said...

Beautiful house! I could move right in. The furnishings are divine.

Mrs. Magpie, you have a wonderful way with words.

Love,

Adelaide

~CC Catherine said...

Hello Sweet Sheila! It seems like "forever" since I've been to visit you. Please forgive me...after all my summer company left (had them for three months)...no kidding! :) I am now trying to get my blog groove back! The story of your brothers home in Martha's Vineyard and pics are just awesome. What a blessed man he is! And...you as well, you get to visit this lovely relaxing place! Hope you are well! Be blessed friend! ~CC Catherine

Chany said...

Hermoso todo lo que nos has mostrado, un abrazo enorme desde Argenina, Chany.-

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Good morning Sheila!

I absolutely love this!

We had doctor appointments yesterday and I was running around working on the bedroom makeover, Monday...so I am just now getting around to this fantabulous post!! I see I am the 103rd commenter!

This home is gorgeous. I loved the tour!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Good morning Sheila!

I absolutely love this!

We had doctor appointments yesterday and I was running around working on the bedroom makeover, Monday...so I am just now getting around to this fantabulous post!! I see I am the 103rd commenter!

This home is gorgeous. I loved the tour!

Rhonda said...

Ohhhhhhhhh, I do love all the same things you love! Man, I could use a get-away to there!! You say you're from the South...do you live near me?

Unknown said...

Shiela,
OMG, what a gorgeous home, I love the Vineyard. Dudley's home is beautiful, and what a handsome guy. I love the tennis match with the players wearing period clothing, and that outdoor living space is wonderful.

Karen

Beth at Aunties said...

What a beautiful home and view. It was like looking though an Architectual Digest of the best homes in America!
I appreciate all the tiny details Dudley did in renovating his home. Everything looked so perfect.
And calling my name! The pool was so inviting as was the charming outdoor seating area around the cosy fireplace.
If I were you, I would be paying my handsome cousin Dudley, a visit each and every year!:)

~♥

storyteller said...

What a LOVELY tour of this BEAUTIFUL home and what a spectacular view of the ocean too. Your photographs of the interior and exterior are beautiful. I'd love to swim in that pool and thought the period tennis attire delightful. Thanks for sharing your lovely photographs and for dropping by Small Reflections. I can hardly believe it, but I'm celebrating my 2nd Blogoversary there now ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sheila,
I just had to laugh at your note! On Monday when we hit 70 they were talking about our little heat wave! In the south, 70 is cooled down! Boy would I love to be walking on the beach with you today, what fun! Hugs, Cindy

Blue Creek Home said...

How fun it must be to live at Martha's Vineyard. The house and grounds are divine!
You gotta love those tennis outfits!
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Oh my word Sheila! What a fun post! I'm finally back to blog reading after a week long break...and this is the first I've read. I don't know what can beat it! I could so very much live there. Good Job Cousin!

Neabear said...

That is a gorgeous home! Loved the tour throught the rooms. Also thanks for visiting me today. And yes all three of your comments went through. I also enjoyed your previous post with the curtains. Too funny! And the grandkids are adorable.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

How positively stunning. I love the peaceful, serene look of this wonderful home. I always think...."I should do that look"...mine is MUCH busier...but each time I try, I just re-collect things and it's full again. I guess I'm just a junker.

Hugs,
Spencer

Kathleen Ellis said...

Oh! what a beautiful home and location!!! Take me away!
The New England shoreline is so beautiful...I miss it so much!

Have a fabulous weekend!
;-D

Jenny said...

Oh boy. I am a house-a-holic and seeing that gorgeous home just made my day. Thanks for the tour.

Regina said...

Hello Sheila. Wow. Lovely place. Great captures. Thank you for sharing.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous photos and I wanted an exterior fireplace so badly. But we had to scratch my idea because we could not get around the local code! Darn!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh my, my, my, my, MY. I could live in that house happily ever after! Thanks so much for sharing it!!