Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sunday Solace: Blessed is He that Comes in The Name of the Lord!


Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord. (Psalm 118:26)

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, lowly and riding on a donkey, a colt, the foal of a donkey. (Zechariah 9:9)

I have always loved Easter and the Holy season preceding it, and I love the fact that it correlates with Passover which is such a special celebration for the Jews. In order to better understand Passover, I’ve participated in Seder meals over the years and loved every minute of knowing how Passover has been celebrated for centuries by the Jews in the Holy Land and beyond.

Speaking of the Holy Land, the palms in Florida not only remind me of things I’ve read and pictures I’ve seen of that wondrous place, but they stand as an ever-present reminder to me of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem for Passover, an entry which His believers celebrate on Palm Sunday.

Just before Jesus was to enter Jerusalem for Passover, He raised Lazarus from the dead, and this fact had been spread far and wide throughout the land. Many people heard and believed that Jesus was indeed who He claimed to be: The Messiah. Hence throngs of people came out to greet Him as He entered Jerusalem. And the people rejoiced, both waving and lining the way with palm branches, a symbol of triumph. Jesus, the Prince of Peace and King of the Jews, rode in as a victorious king would on a donkey as opposed to a horse which is the symbol of a king waging war, thus fulfilling the scripture in Zechariah. And the people cried out the scripture from the Psalms, “Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord.” (Psalm 118:26)

Years ago, I remember watching newsreels in history class of the liberation of Paris during WWII. People threw flowers in the path of the Allied soldiers as a sign of their joy over the victory. It was a scene of great rejoicing, just as I imagine the scene looked on Palm Sunday when Jesus came riding into the city of Jerusalem on a donkey. The people were ecstatic in believing their Messiah had come as they had long been under the heel of the Romans and other conquerors. Every time I read the scripture, taken from the Gospels, I feel their joy and want to leap and dance as King David did before the Ark of the Covenant as it was brought to rest in the Temple in Jerusalem:

The Triumphal Entry (Matthew 21:1-9)

Now when they drew near Jerusalem, and came to Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Loose them and bring them to Me. And if anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord has need of them,’ and immediately he will send them.”
All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:

“ Tell the daughter of Zion, ‘ Behold, your King is coming to you, lowly, and sitting on a donkey, a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”

So the disciples went and did as Jesus commanded them. They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them. And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying:

“ Hosanna to the Son of David! ‘ Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!’ Hosanna in the highest!”


Please join us for Spiritual Sundays where you will find other posters who are sharing inspirational thoughts for the week!



Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)... who with great joy is waving the fronds of that magnificent palm before the Lord! :-)

28 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sheila...Happy Palm Sunday! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend...hugs...Debbie

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Yes Sheila, A very happy Palm Sunday indeed!

Anonymous said...

We have 3 palm trees in our yard and there are palm trees everywhere in our area. They are a good reminder of Palm Sunday. I love this time of year also and the special things at church.
This is kind of frivelous but thought I would share it with you. Each Palm Sunday at our former church the children would march in and come down the aisles carrying palm fronds. One year the fronds were all laid on a front pew in the Sanctuary. When the leader went to get them on Sunday morning to give to the children they were all gone. The janitor had cleaned the night before and threw them out. So they had to go retrieve them from the trash bin.
Have a great Palm Sunday.
Charlotte

BECKY said...

What a lovely and inspirational post! I am, of course, surrounded by palm trees and will look at them differently from now on thanks to this awesome post!!

You are such a delight in blogland, Sheila!!

May your Sunday be full of joy, praise, peace and rest!

Hugs and Joy, friend,
Becky

~CC Catherine said...

Precious Sheila, What a lovely Palm Sunday post...it was very inspiring and every word is a gift to those that read it! Have a blessed day! :) ~CC Catherine

Beth at Aunties said...

Dearest Shelia,

Happy Palm Sunday! Your post was so lovely and inspiring. I love the holy scriptures! Easter is such a wonderful time of renewal and rejoicing. I hope your Sunday is a happy one.:-)

Thanks for being such a dear one!
♥♥♥'s
with lots of hugs, Beth

Chandy said...

Hello, Sheila! A Happy Sunday to you! Thank you for this great post to remember our Lord...

Kathy said...

What a beautiful post, Sheila. I was just writing a comment to someone else who posted about the meaning of Palm Sunday, saying that I have always been fascinated by Palm Sunday. God Himself in human form, riding into the city on a donkey, where He would be tortured and killed that same week. The sacrifice is just overwhelmingly huge!
Have a glorious Palm Sunday...Kathy

Unknown said...

When I lived in Egypt, the Coptic Christians made the most beautiful crosses woven from palm fronds which is what I immediately thought of while reading your beautiful post.

Happy Palm Sunday.
Jane

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Good morning, Sheila. This is the perfect Palm Sunday post. Thanks for sharing.

the voice of melody said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. :)

SmilingSally said...

I like the imagery of comparing the liberation of Paris to Palm Sunday, Jesus' triumphant entry. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Sue said...

Hello my dear friend,
Thank you for this very inspiring Palm Sunday post, as always you have such a wonderful way of expressing your thoughts. I always leave here so encouraged! You are such a blessing, Shelia!!!

I had the privilege of visiting the Holy Land some years ago,my life has never been the same,the scriptures took on a new meaning for me, and I have always wanted to go back!!
Have a very blessed Palm Sunday !!!
Sue

akawest said...

Happy Palm Sunday, Mrs. Magpie.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is a great post for Palm Sunday. I'm glad that you shared it here with us.
God Bless,
Ginger

Musings of A Minister said...

Good thoughts to take with me as we head off to church on this Palm Sunday. I want to say "Amen" to what my wife Charlotte said and the others who commented. Thanks for sharing.

Happily Ever After said...

Thank you for your words on your posting today. This is my first Sunday participating in Spritual Sundays. It's been wonderful reading everyone's blogs.

Blessings to you on Palm Sunday.

Gigi

♥ Kathy said...

Beautiful Sheila! Happy Palm Sunday ♥

God Chaser said...

Love your lesson. blessings this SS

Daisy Cottage said...

Thank you for the beautiful post Sheila..
And I just spent the most wonderful time catching up with you and your fabulous posts.... loved reading them all and I'm so glad your special friend is doing better... sending you big hugs and much love. You are such a sweet part of Blogland.

xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Sheila. Happy Palm Sunday. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Sheila,
Thank you for your wonderful post. I have never seen a real palm tree but I have learned much about them this weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sweetie said...

Sheila, Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and inspirational post. Palm Sunday is so very special.
Sweetie

the wild raspberry said...

it touches my heart to think of JESUS weeping over jerusalem...he must be doing the same thing as he looks at so many lost people in our world today. may GOD touch their hearts so they will realize that he is the ONE to obey.
bless you
chasity

Always a Southern Girl said...

Love it!! Happy Palm Sunday! Hosanna to the King of Kings!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank all of you so much for coming by to visit and leaving such sweet comments. I'm afraid I'm behind in my visiting today, but I plan to catch up this week!

Love to you and sweet rest...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Palm Sunday! This is indeed a beautiful event. In our country, most of the people would bring palms when they go to church.

This is a beautiful text and how people were so happy acknowledging him as the One. Very opposite reactions and feelings when Good Friday comes.

anon said...

Happy Belated Spiritual Sunday! and thank you for your thoughs on Palm Sunday. Judith