The sight of grown men playing dress up is not just for Halloween. Why, in St. Augustine, it's an everyday occurrence!
From their uniforms to their eye glasses, these boys take their role playing very seriously...
Even to the type of tankard they use and probably what goes inside... ;-)
You never know whether you'll see a pirate in Publix with knee britches and a cutlass wheeling a grocery cart down the aisle or a faux pirate simply hanging around a local pub...
And you may rest assured that on given days, you will see a park ranger, dressed like Smokey the Bear, leading fort visitors around like ducks in a row...
Or escorting the troops to the cannons...
And you're quite likely to see red or blue-coated Spanish soldiers going about their business...
Guarding the fort and the time travelers who happen into their ancient world...
Or you might see the boys firing up a cannon on the lawn near the fort...
Particularly when there are pirates about...

Or you might catch soldiers fielding questions from anxious little girls wanting to know, "Sir, are you the leader? Well, can you please tell me where to find him?"...
Surely out of all of these soldiers, one has got to be the leader!
Maybe, he's the one, do you think???...
Regardless of who the leader is, Florida is a state filled with tourist amenities, and St. Augustine is ranked the most popular tourist destination for Floridians after Disney and the like...
Floridians are a pretty choosy lot...
And we do appreciate St. Augustine's close to three hundred years of Spanish rule and history (being the oldest continuously occupied European settlement in the continental United States)...
Just as we salute close to two centuries of St. Augustine's American heritage...
And there's a lot more here than grown men playing dress up (although we love them, too)...
There are wonderful restaurants...
Some pretty cool architecture...
And lots of bed and breakfasts (though most don't take children). So save those for a romantic getaway...
And of course, there is a lot of water...
And palm trees...
And it's a town where you can either bike...
Or walk...
Or take a carriage...
Or even ride the tour train...
Which brings me to this suggestion. Beginning around November 21, there is something called "Nights of Lights" in St. Augustine. It is one of the best free events our city has to offer. Click on the link in the last sentence to see a slideshow of some of the millions of lights that fill the plaza and surrounding buildings to create a veritable wonderland. And the viewing is FREE. Then on the first Friday of each month, the city's numerous art galleries have an art walk known as First Friday. That is also a free event and always a lot of fun.
But beyond the free, I read that one of the tour trains will be offering the following (that sounds like so much fun!), and I quote:
HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS TROLLEY TOURS
Caroling, hot apple cider and homemade cookies add to the fun of these tours. Plus, guests receive complimentary magical viewing glasses handcrafted by Santa's elves, that add a special twinkle to the Nights of Lights. Trolley tours depart continuously between 6 and 8 p.m. from the St. Augustine Visitors Information Center located at Castillo Drive and San Marco Avenue. $7 for adults and $4 for children.
Phone: 904.829.3800
Click here to get to their website and for more information about activities in St. Augustine during the next few months.
I know I sound like an advertisement for the Ancient City, but I'm only a person who enjoys the ambiance. We have been blessed to own a retreat there for the last decade or so, and I can tell you from first hand experience, it is a fun place. Just thought I would share this with my blogging friends because St. Augustine is one of the best kept secrets in Florida, though the City Gates have been welcoming fortunate visitors for several centuries. Hopefully, you will be one of those visitors someday soon. :-)
Now, I'd like to thank Susan for hosting Outdoor Wednesday and would encourage you to join Susan and a host of her friends to see what else is going on outdoors today! You may get there by clicking right here .

Thanks for visiting, and I look forward to visiting you in return!
Warmly,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)




88 comments:
Oh what a lovely place. IF we ever get that way we must come for a visit. I'm sure my favorite parts would be the restaurants. :-) Hugs!
What a neat post!!Looks like such a pretty spot too! All the best,Chrissy
Oh I love this post! I have an old high school friend who lives in St. Augustine and whenever he posts pictures on facebook we just want to hop on a plane and visit. It really looks like a beautiful place. Thanks for the tour. Kathy
Oh Sheila! How I LOVE St. Augustine! It IS so gorgeous and historical and magical and just brings back so many, many wonderful memories for me....
We went EVERY summer for 2 weeks and I just breathed that wonderful city into my soul! It was a place for much laughter and fun and since my parents have both passed away, the memories are that much sweeter.
You are SO blessed! Thank you for sharing this...
Lou Cinda :)
Well, surely somebody has got to be the leader!!! I can just imagine a little girl walking about, looking up into each stern man's face. Wondering who on earth is the leader! For in kid world, there is ALWAYS a leader. Be it a teacher, or a parent. Somebody leads the pack. Well, I enjoyed your tour. I've only been to Florida one time. And I was SOOO amazed at the plants!
Brenda
OK Sheila,
You've sold me, lock, stock and barrel! I have wanted to go there for years and now I am just itching to! Geez, that would be the one thing I would love about being rich, to be able to travel whenever I liked! Beautiful post and darling little girl as well! Did you ever write travel brochures? Hugs, Cindy
What a lovely trip - so much to see.
Evening, Ms. Sheila! Oh what a wonderful post! Loved seeing all of the men playing! You know they were having a ball! I've been to St. Augustine but it's been many a year! What a lovely place with so much history to explore, things to do and people to see. Oh, mustn't forget the eateries! Wonderful post,Dear One. I hope you're have a better day today! Love ya and be a sweetie,
Shelia :)
Love your pictures! We visited St. Augustine about 4 years ago, and I think it may be time for another trip, especially after seeing your pictures! Oh, and I don't think that men really ever get tired of dressing in costumes.
Sheila - what a great post. I love historical re-enactment!
Thanks for stopping by and participating in my poll! :)
Have a lovely night.
Sheila~~
I can certainly see why you so enjoy living in St. Augustine. There is excitement and attraction virtually everyday in a beautiful setting that could stand alone.
You must enjoy entertaining visitors with all there is to see and do, and I hope to be one someday soon!
xoxo
Janie
P.S. Thanks for the positive encouragement and suggestions for the bedrooms. I really like the picket fence headboard idea, and I think that would be really great with a color scheme of pale green, a sort of garden!! :-)
Nifty post, Sheila!!
I'd love to visit St. Augustine one day soon, Sheila. You've shown such beautiful parts of your city. The Nights of Lights souinds so lovely!
Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Hugs, Pat
Hello there Sheila! What a fun outing this would be. I need to make it to a re-enactment in full costume of something. St. Augustine really looks like a great spot to visit...
Sheila, enjoyed the tour!
Hi Sheila!
I'm ready for a St. A fix!!! Thanks for telling us about the First Friday Art nights. I'll have to get my sister and the guys to do this soon. We're always looking for Florida artists.
Perhaps we can connect on our next trip...I'd love to meet you in person.
Smiles,
Jane (Artfully Graced)
ps Look for Old St Augustine barbeque sauce with Datil Peppers. It's fabulous (and so are the other products!). We found them at the Wednesday farmer's market...and now carry it in the Mt Dora shop. The owners/creators are really nice transplants to the area. e thoroughly enjoyed talking with them
Sheila,
I feel like I just went on a relaxing vacation, enjoyed the lovely ambiance, with palm trees swaying, the sound of waves coming ashore and the history was enough to take anyone's breath away! I love history! I would love to visit your beautiful St. Augustine. Thanks for the lovely tour & you are the best guide ever!
I always enjoy your little helpers...
Happy OW ~♥
I'm not posting this week for OW...I want more of our friends to come share their secrets!:)
Beautiful pics. I would love to visit one day. So pretty!
I could live in one of the pretty colored homes.
Donna
Looks like a fun day - thanks for sharing.
Hi Sheila!
I would love to visit that area. I have been down there only once and didn't get enough time to really take in all the sites.
Have a great day!
Hi Sheila,
Love those pictures. Looks like a fun day... I love all things historical. I would like to try whatever it was they had in those tankards.
Have a great day.
Maryrose
Oh Sheila,
I just knew you were a travel writer too! I would love to meet you someday, I guess I should start buying lottery tickets! heehe. I think you may be someone really famous incognito! ( just kidding) well maybe. Have a great day, I need to go back to bed! Hugs, Cindy
Hi Sheila
I LOVED this post. As you know I really want to go to St Augustine next time we visit Florida but after reading this I want to go even more and espececially for The Nights of Lights. I followed the link and the pictures were stunning. My husband would be so interested in all the soldiers and the fort although he would probably want to join in! Thanks for sharing this today.
Lindsay
x
Hi Sheila,
Thanks for this interesting post. I really enjoyed this history lesson-this could become a story book for children...very clever indeed!
Best wishes, NM.
OK so this is where Mom will be staying at when I come ha ha!! What a beautiful city girl and the history of it WOW!! and look at all that water...Ooooh and it looks so warm there...do you even own a pair of sweats?? I think the United States has some of the most beatuifulplaces in it...if I traveled in would be in my own country to see it all..Great post girl...thanks for the tour...Hope all is well on your side of the mountain today...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Super excellent share this week. I loved joining you in all your fun and sights!
My post for Wednesday is now published. Click Here to join me. I'd love for you to stop by today.
The Chamber of Commerce should pay you! What a neat post. Have a good day, my friend.
Sheila, this was great! It was just like being there! I loved it!
And if I ever get to Florida again I will surely visit St. Augustine! Really lovely!
You did it proud!
Love you, Eileen
Oh..what a lovely place...I can almost feel the warmth!
sandy toe
Sheila, you did a fantastic job of recreating the St. Augustine I've visited so many times in the past! Have always loved it's architecture and the history. Thanks so much!
I would LOVE to visit your beautiful city someday, Sheila. Your tour was delightful and a little break from the cold and rain here in the Northwest.
Wow, now I have another place to add to my "to visit someday" list! Looks beautiful and lively too.
Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit today. Hugs, Tracey
Sheila, this was a fantastic tour of the fort. Almost as good as being there. Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together for us. I really enjoyed it. Have a great Outdoor Wednesday.
This is just awesome. I'd love to visit this place. Thanks so much for this great posting.
Oh what a lovely post that is about St Augustine. Hopefully we go back to Florida one more time for a holiday and then I will tell me DH we need to go there too.WE have seen all the popular sights several times but never St Augustine. Must do that then.
Glad you told and showed me,
St Augustine is a very unique place to see. We haven't been there in years but it is always worth a visit. I bet the Holiday lights are spectacular. Your photos are all delightful.
We did get some much needed rain today, thanks to mother nature :)
Sheila
Those are absolutely beautiful pictures of St. Augustine! It looks like such a great place to live or take a holiday to. I love the ship, so much history there. YOu made a wonderful post and put so much work into giving us a tour of this great place! Hope you are having a great week so far, and have an awesome Outdoor Wednesday Love Sherri : )
You could write for St Augustine's tourism center. I wanna go now!!
So I will be visiting a 300 year old city???? I guess shoes don't really matter LOL
So do we do Disney first, then St. Augustine cause I want to do what the natives do you know. lol
Celia looks a tad pored sitting there... is that you in the other chair?? hum trying to hide are you Mrs. Magpie???
Loved visiting your town today. Made my day a little brighter. It's cool, windy, but we have some sunny spots. I'm painting again today, in and out.
Love You
Love Claudie
oxox
P.S.
You better stop making St. Augustine look so darn good. You'll have the whole blogging community coming to stay LOL
I want you all to myself, I'm selfish that way LOL
xoxoxo
What a MARVELOUS 'virtual' visit! Love all the scenic photos and the pictures of the 'reinactors' ... Wonderful post! Thanks for the visit to HRG ... glad you've finally figured out who I am ;-)
Hugs and blessings,
Hi sheila, I just read your post and what fun to be in NC for Thanksgiving. Here's a laugh. We will be in Jacksonville FL. for Thanksgiving. Not far from the beautiful, wonderful, city of St. Augustine. Your photos are wonderful Sheila. We have visited that city for years. In fact it was our first vacation trip after we were married. I love it there. The little ones look like they had a fabulous time there too. The Christmas tour sounds great.
What part of NC will you be visiting? Sweaters are important and I think your cotton ones will be fine. However, do take a coat or jacket. Wear socks too. Then, it could be beautiful and not real cold at all. You never know.
Look at weather.com and put in the zip code for the area you will be going and check the 10 day weather check. It is very accurate. Check it just before you are leaving. Have a wonderful time.
Thank you for your very sweet comment about my age. Laughing. The mirror doesn't lie!!!
Hugs and love ,xoxo, Jeanne
I have always wanted to visit. Maybe when Honey Bear retires. Are there any campgrounds?
Your post was great. Boy, those guys in uniform sure are thirsty.
Keep coming by to visit and get your name in the drawing.
Mama Bear
I've been to Florida so, so many times but never to St. Augustine. Thanks to your pics, I'll be visiting next time I'm in Tampa visiting my sister. Fabulous pictures and accompanying music!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!! :)
Wonderful photos and wonderful memory making! Thanks for stopping by my red door and leaving such encouraging comments!
Dearest Magpie, This is the first time I have been on your blog and I loved your wonderful post today. I would so love to visit this delightful place. I have never been to Florida, but I will make it there one day, of that I am sure. And when I do, I need to visit this place!
Funny, everywhere I went today commenting on the OW posts, I saw your name and then, lo and behold, you visited me and left a sweet comment. Thank you sooo much. Hugs, Cindy S.
They need to pay you for advertising!!! This is a beautiful place and the colorful costumes sure made some gorgeous photos!!!
I love St. Augustine! I am so jealous! I want to be there for Christmas!
What a fun post. Loved your story and your photos.
I read about it, but I've never been there . Your tour was very interesting & delightful . I think I would definitely put it on my list of places to see. Great post!
~Myrna
Sheila!!! First, thank you so much for pointing out my link didn't work...fixed it!!!
Secondly, love St. Augustine, oh, hey, I just plain love Florida!!! It was a class trip that I went on with the kids from Lake Highland. 4th grade? I don't remember.
I had wanted to go since I was a child so it was very special to me.
They look nice.
Alfazema
What great pictures! Looks like a fun place to visit :)
Hi Sheila,
Wonderful post! I've been to Florida many times and visited most of the cities along the coast, but somehow always headed back northwest before reaching St. Augustine. I see now what a HUGE mistake that was. I agree that reenactors (of every period) deserve a huge 'thank you' for the time, money, and energy they invest in bringing history to life.
Bye for now,
Bill
Sure looks like there's plenty to do in St. Augustine!
What brillantly colored photos of those re-enactors having fun. I love your city. I may have told you that I was there years ago and met Isabela who owns a clothing and accessory shop. I bought a derby hat from her and even invited her up to Nsh for Steeplechase and she sold a ton of hats and stuff. Her hubby got really sick and I'm not sure if she closed the store or not. Anyway have fun at your parties and be careful.
Happy Twirls Shelia
You, Mrs. Magpie, convinced me that St. Augustine was THE place to live in Florida. Thank you!
Hopefully we WILL be a visitor. Funny...but we were talking about spending a long weekend there in December.
Lovely intro!
Shelia,
Thank you for the nice comment on my first Outdoor Wedenesday post! Your pictures are great, what history! Looks like a fun and educational destination to visit. Anita
I have visited St. Augustine in the 70's and just loved it! We moved to Hollywood to be near my parents but would have loved to live in St.Augustine. Your pictures are wonderful and show it off very nicely. Thanks for stopping by my O.W. post.
Jean
Sheila,
We visited St.Augustine in the early 70's when we were moving to Hollywood to be near my parents. I would have loved to live in St Augustine! Your pictures are wonderful and show off the area very nicely. Thanks for stopping by my O.W. post.
Jean
Thanks so much for sharing St. Augustine with us. It looks like a FABULOUS place that I would love to visit someday.♥
Hi Shelia,
Just loved the tour of your St, Augustine, what a beautiful place, and you are right it has been a well kept secret. I love history and it looks like a city that is overflowing with it. And you do make an excellent tour guide. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for coming by and for leaving such a sweet comment, and I am so happy to put your name in the hat,
Blessings and hugs,
Sue
lovely pictures we have a reenactment here as well
What a great tour of St. Augustine. I have never been there but now I can say I had a lovely tour. Enjoyed your Outdoor Wednesday post lots!
Kindly, ldh
Hi Sheila, what a wonderful post and colorful photos. I've been to St Augustine only once but my cousins (JAX area)brought me to the outlet mall, and did not get a chance to see this wonderful place!
Next time when I visit them, I sure will mention this place to them!
Thanks for the virtual tour!
what an amazing place! i was in Florida in August--how i wish i had time to visit St. Augustine. i enjoyed each photo and your captions. wonderful post!
For all the years I lived in Florida we never thought to visit the area....Too many trips up to Disney....Daughter was all set for a class trip and then a week before we moved to Georgia....it looks very nice...
Hi Sheila
What a great tour you've given us of St. Augustine. I haven't been there! Your pictures are wonderful all the outfits and history. Wonderful. I bet there are great restaurants there also.
have a lovely day...
enjoy your nice weather.
Judi
Oh, sweet friend! Such memories! I have often professed by love affair with St Augustine, so rich with history. Wish I couldve made this event, and dreaming I can attend the lights event! Great pics! Thanks friend for sharing. HUGS!
I recognize some of those faces! We saw several of those wonderful folks when we were at the Castillo earlier this year, and again at the Prince of Wales pub for lunch.
You're absolutely right, St. Augustine is an incredible place to visit, and your photos are superb.
If I leave now, I could be there in about three hours....hmm.
Your pictures make me miss Florida! I love these little local holidays. In Tampa we celebrated Gasparilla and we had a blast!
It sounds like such a lovely place to visit. I love places rich in history. Who knows.... Someday I may find myself there, but for now, thank you so much for this fantastic tour. I know from the pictures it is a place I would love. You are blessed to be able to live there and be so close to the ocean. Thanks for sharing ♥
What a wonderful tour! I've never been to your city. I know how rich in history it is and I sure plan to visit in the future!
xo
Claudia
So much fun to the men and for you that could take all that photo.
Hot appel cider and carols on the train, well I have to take the airplane first so maybe not this time.
/Maria Berg
Ps. Sorry that I have to ask but was it you that made the song on youtube for me? I lost the link.
I haven't visited in years. Sounds like fun. Perhaps, on my January book tour to the Keys I can sneak in a day or two!~ Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks for visiting me. I hope to get back to blogging more regularly.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
You brought back wonderful memories with your photos. I had the pleasure to visit St Augustine about 15 years ago. I would love to go back someday. But Florida is a long way from California. Even by plane. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for leaving me a comment on my post as well.
Hi Sheila,
Thanks for your sweet comments! I always think I am kind of a dud at doing tables but I do it for fun! Hugs, Cindy
What a beautiful tour of St. Augustine ... through your eyes and camera, Sheila. I would love to see its beauty and explore its history "in person" someday.
How wonderful! That is one place I have not been and would love to visit, Thanks for the tour!
Hello Sheila,
Love the old photo. I know, I know, why did I start commenting on the last photo LOL But I like the feel of it. So huge and old - The gate, the entrance to a time capsule :-)
Everything is interesting and I love seeing them in costume but I think I would love most to see a pirate one LOL Scary, creepy . . . but interesting :-).
Mizpah,
Li
(must not forget, the man riding his bike on a ledge - I don't even want to think of him falling in the waters!)
What a great tour Sheila! I just adore St Augustine. My parents go visit it quite a bit. It's about a four drive from them in PC, Fl.
I looked and looked and I have no such option to follow you on my screen. Am I blind or something? Sigh...I'm so sorry. If you ever add the little box I will follow! HintHint! He! You are my only good blogger friend that I don't follow. Bummer...I really enjoy that feature. It's so much easier to keep up with everyone in you dashboard. I don't like the bloglines or blogfeed thing where you get constant emails about new postings from others. Just too many e-mails flooding in for me and it's distracting.
See you soon my friend.
Have a wonderful weekend. ~Melissa :)
Neat! Your pics are beautiful.
Thanks so much for stopping by to see me too.
GM My sweet Daughter...I'm so sorry I didn't get my post done today about your sweet gifts to me and Kyra...But reall girl I'm just so sick about what happen at Fort Hood and the worry I felted until I knew my grandson was safe...I tell you Shelia I don't want another day like that one...My daughters were back and forth on the phone with me most of the day...My poor Dawna just got sick to her stomach and was a wreck for many hours...She's back at work today, but with little sleep...You see Jacob is to be deployed in Jan and she's worried sick about that and then to have to worry about him on base...it was after 10pm before he got to go home last night..I hope to get the post done by Monday...but will tell you my heart is not with blogging right now ha ha!! Love ya girl...May you have a great weekend...Be safe...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
The costumes are great and it does look a really lovely place to visit! :)
I would way rather go there than Disney. Just sayin'. Plus any town with pirates and Mrs. Magpie is OK in my book. :-)
I would love to visit your area someday. What a delight that would be!! Your pictures and post make everything sound so wonderful.
Post a Comment