Today is Blue Monday at our fun hostess Smiling Sally's blog of the same name. Today is when a group of Sally's friends and fellow bloggers get together and show off their blueness for the week. If you'd like to join us, please do. The more the merrier! :-)
Today, I'd like to focus on tourists plates...
No, not that kind of plate...
And not that kind, either...
This kind of plate!
And as you can see my able assistant and friend Miss Cecelia has a small blue and white tourist plate she's showing you here, along with her new missing teeth. [Someone has discovered that she can be on "television" and is now opting for a career in that medium via my blog. Vanna White, move over! ;-)]
When Mr. Magpie and I purchased our Victorian getaway in St. Augustine, we made a decision about the furnishings. Instead of going seriously Victorian, we chose to go Florida whimsical. And what is more whimsical than tourist plates! Only, we decided we wanted our tourist plates to be a little more dignified, and that's why we opted for the blue and white transferware.
We also decided that these plates should represent places we remember from childhood and which have some sort of sentimental connection. That first one pictured above is Cà d' Zan (House of John) in Sarasota and belonged to John Ringling of circus fame.
The next plate is Thomas Edison's winter home in Ft. Myers...
If you haven't seen these residences, you need to make plans to see them at some point. Both are fascinating and sentimental favorites.
And speaking of sentimental favorites, Silver Springs is pictured here...
Oh, how I loved their glass bottom boats! Even Tarzan swam in these waters at certain points, and so did mermaid Esther Williams.
Then there's beautiful Cypress Gardens with its world class water skiers, Southern belles, and beautiful flowers. Esther also swam here, where a swimming pool was named for her...
This transferware plate opted for a floral border instead of the belles above...
Right down the road from Winter Haven and Cypress Gardens is Lake Wales and its beautiful Bok Tower which is still as beautiful today...
And north a bit of Polk County is Clermont where citrus once ruled and was ruled over by the Citrus Tower. Now, sadly, many of those beautiful groves have been overtaken by residential and commercial developments, but the tower still remains...
Then, of course, there is the Ancient City itself. And this St. Augustine plate features several of its landmarks: the fort, the city gates, and the oldest house...
Next, there's government house, where I got to see King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain speak from the balcony. That represented the first time a reigning Spanish monarch had visited St. Augustine which happens to be the oldest continuously occupied European settlement in the continental United States. Juan Carlos had visited once before as a prince...
Here is the Lightner Museum which began life as one of Henry Flagler's signature hotels, the Alcazar. It dates to the late Victorian period and had the first indoor swimming pool which is now fashioned into antique shops and a restaurant. The rest of the building houses city offices...
This next series of plates feature the famous city gates...
The border on this one features other famous landmarks as well...
And so does this plate which is a produced by Royal Worcester (I got a great deal on this!)...
And finally, here is the man who discovered La Florida: Juan Ponce de Leon. This, too, is a Royal Worcester plate...
We have about sixteen plates total which can serve a crowd. I keep some of them in the cabinet and display a few others. This has been a fun collection to amass, and I hope you enjoyed seeing the dinner plates. I have collected smaller plates for salads and desserts and some less serious plates for everyday casual. But these are my favorites...
And that wraps up my Blue Monday offering. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog to visit, and I look forward to visiting yours as well! Please join Sally and a host of other great folks who have much blueness to share with you today. I'm headed over there right now! You can join me by clicking here. :-)
Happy Blue Monday!
Quintessentially,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila) and of course, let's not forget Miss Cecelia and her new friend Woodstock! :-) :-) :>




73 comments:
This is such a charming post. What fabulous transferware; I love the "souvenir" plates, a brilliant collection.
And your assistant Cecelia? Gorgeous, and you should give her a RAISE and a promotion! ;-)
Cass
Oh dear I must sit and catch my breath... after seeing so many beautiful blue plates all in one place!
They are gorgeous!!!!!
Susan
I absolutely love this collection!! I didn't realize you were a sunshine gal, too!! I'm only about an hour south of you!!
How fun to have all of these plates...all places I have been to except the first two houses.
I really enjoy your blog and how you write, and will be back often! Thanks so much for
sharing!
Blessings,
Becky
I really enjoyed looking all your photos for Blue Monday. I hope you have a great week!
Each plate is a treasure. I really enjoyed your post. Happy Blue Monday.
Sweetie
Sheila,
I love all of your plates. What a beautiful collection you have. I'd been wanting to start a collection also of blue/white plates. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.
Your assistant, Cecilia is just too cute!
Such a beautiful collection of transferware. It's lovely. Happy Blue Monday..have a lovely week.
Hi, Sheila ...
Cecilia is adorable and your plate collection is incredible. My favorite is the Cypress Gardens plate, but they're all truly beautiful.
I hope this finds your friend Nancy recuperating nicely from her surgery. Your tribute to her was so eloquent and loving.
Best wishes for a "Blue Monday" filled with Florida sunshine!
What a great idea to use tourist plates in your vacation home!
What beautiful plates. You have a fabulous collection. Your little host was superb and the missing tooth makes her smile so pretty.
Kathleen
Nice big collections of beautiful blue plates and Miss Cecelia is a cutie!
Candy
Beautiful tourist plates Sheila!
Miss Cecelia is so cute!
So that's what you call those... I never knew. And Miss Cecilia is an adorable model!
Wow!!
I am simply drooling all over my keyboard! I love all of your beautiful blue plates. From the very start of your post - I was going to try to pick one that I liked the most - it soon became clear that would be impossible to do. I love them all! It must be so hard to keep those beauties behind a cupboard door.
Your cute little Cecelia is too precious. I see a budding star in the making here!
Who needs front teeth when you are THAT cute!!
Blessings to you both,
Kymber
Good Morning and Happy Blue Monday! What a lovely post, plates are just beautiful! Your assistant is adorable!
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage
How I enjoyed this post reminding me of the many wonderful places in my favorite state. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.
Good morning my dear Sheila. You are my faithful blogging friend and I appreciate you so much. I am trying to visit more but it is a slow process. Today is the two week mark and it really takes a good three weeks to feel normal again. The pain lets up and I begin therapy outside of my home. And this is BIG, I get dressed. LOL!
Miss Cecelia is adorable. Already a true 'ham' and a drama queen. She is the perfect assistant.
Your plates and your description for each one is so enjoyable to read. Of course, growing up in FL., I have been to all of those places. My dad loved to take adventure trips and made sure we didn't miss a thing in Fl. there is to see. Thank you for a lovely blue
Monday treat.
Thank you for being thoughtful you and a sweet friend.
Love and hugs...Jeanne
Every one of those plates is beautiful! What a nice collection:-)
Cecelia is a very good assistant too....Vanna White has nothing on her!!
what history...i've never been to florida. maybe i should rethink this.
your plates are really lovely. i have a set of currier and ives that i inherited. they are wonderful.
love the jack-o-lantern grin! my twinkletoes is missing many herself and thinks it's great!
have a good one.
chas
I love all your beautiful plates..I have but a few STATE plates that I must post one day.
Yes, i love your plates but...the adorable assistant is by far the most beautiful thing on this post!
:O)
Happy Day.
I love blue plates...they are so pretty...even hanging on a wall!
-sandy toe
Beautiful blue plates! And what a cutie pie sweet assistant.
Shelia, Coming up for air here,after paddling thru Silver Springs with Tarzan,perhaps in a past life...lol! Your collection of plates is beautiful as is your lovely assistant Miss Cecelia!
Good morning Sheila! Miss Cecelia is so cute and your plates are amazing! What a great collection. I love blue and white so this collection calls to me. Have a great day...
Living in Florida for so many years, I have visiting several of the places on your tourist plates. Your post has brought back some wonderful memories... And Cecelia is just a cutey~
Hugs,
Penny
Happy Blue Monday Sheila!
The Blue plates are all just beautiful.
Miss Cecilia is precious as well.
~Warmly, Melissa :)
Ms Cecilia sure did a great presentation! I lOVE your plates! I have been to Thomas Edison's Lab in Fort Myers, passed by his house but did not go in. I love St. Augustine too. I lived in the Tampa Bay area for more than 20 years and still have a home there so I know most of the places shown on your plates which make them even more precious to me. Great collection, Sheila!...Christine
Love your collection, thanks for dropping by my blog. Wesson is a neat little town, but Nothing like it was when the Wesson's Mills were here.
What an adorable post! I so enjoyed reading it and Miss Cecelia is just the cutest hostess.
Love your plates. Wow!
What a great collection of plates you have!
Good Morning Sheila,
So many beautiful blue Transferware is amazing. I enjoyed the history of each beauty.
Congratulations on buying your dream victorian and if it is like your last whimsical condo in St Augustine it will in deed be a magical place to live.
Cecilia is adorable and I love her precious smile. According to our own little 6 year olds who LOVE to flash us their own toothless smiles it is quite something to be proud of.
She is a beautiful hostess and I can see one day she just might have Vanna White's job!
Beth wishes to Nancy for a fast and complete recovery.
Beth♥♥♥
Pretty plates and a pretty smile from Cecelia (I also like her tilt of the head in the first photo :)
Happy Blue Monday Sheila!
What a beautiful little girl and such a great assistant. Your plates are so beautiful! I can see why you like them so much. I hope you have a happy Blue Monday!
Those are just beautiful - and I love the stories behind them. My favorite thing, though, must be Miss Cecelia. Is she your daughter? So cute, and my daughter has that same dress :)
Wow...what a beautiful collection of plates! Thank you for sharing them with us!
Happy Blue Monday!
What a cool collection. (I know that Jacob would love to visit Thomas Edison's museum.) You have the cutest assistant! ~ Happy Blue Monday! ~ Robyn
Great collectibles from your travels!! Your little lady is such a cutie!
So...I've got your curiosity aroused have I? LOL LOL...too funny! This is such fun!
Morning, Sweet Sheilaness, and what a charming little co-host you have! She's adorable. Now I don't think I've ever seen more beautiful souvenir plates! They're gorgeous. I'm sure you could set a lovely tablescape with all this blueness!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;0
Your assistant Cecilia is so pretty! :) And the blue & white plates are just beautiful. I hope you have a great President's Day, Ms. Sheila!
P.S. Woodstock was my favorite Snoopy character as a little girl and I kept him on my bed. ;)
I like 'em! What is even cooler is that you and your dh have been to these places! I've actually been some of those places--Silver Springs, the Singing Tower, and I think Cypress Gardens. I ought to be scanning those slides soon.....
I hope the talent scouts get to your blog soon to see your lovely assistant!
Have a good Monday ☺
I love blue & white plates ♥
I love your plates.. girl they are "gorgeous".. and naturally your assistant Miss Cecelia is the crowning touch to your post.. She is a beauty... Happy Blue Monday..
hugs ~lynne~
Hi Sheila!
First of all, Miss Cecelia is a cutie pie...love the missing teeth! She's the perfect little model for your blog!
You sure have quite a collection of blue plates. I loved reading the story behind each one of them...makes them all the more interesting. So glad you shared them today on this Blue Monday. Have an amazing day!!!♥
Sheila, I love that tradition! And what a beautiful collection you have gathered. I have some blue and white transferware plates on my wall, but I never considered picking up plates to represent our travels. I think you have inspired a new tradition!
Wow what a terrific collection of tourist plates. Miss Cecelia did a great job of assisting you too. I like Woodstock too. I don't know which one I like best - Tweety or Woodstock. They're both so cute but neither is as cute as Cecelia.
Have a great Blue Monday and Presidents Day.
Charlotte
I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing your beautiful plates! I also collect blue and white souvenir plates. They are of places I have visited in the US and abroad. I wrote about it here:
http://oakrisecottage.blogspot.com/2008/10/friday-show-tell-travel-souvenir.html
Sheila
History in blkue-- thanks for sharing! What a super collection...and super helper!
Hello Sheila, Oh my what a delightful post, from your adorable assistant Cecelia to your perfect collection of Blue transferware. Happy, Happy Blue Monday and A very Happy Presidents Day to you both. hugs, Kathy.
Hi Sheila
Your assistant Miss Cecilia is lovely and really looks to be enjoying herself.
Your plate collection is utterly awesome. What a beautiful collection of trips and places to remember. The colours of course are wonderful.
Thank you for sharing on Blue Monday..and Happy President's Day also.
Judi
Sheila,
Although the always charming Miss Cecelia nearly stole the show, I did revel in your blue plates. Florida certainly has it's share of history and I enjoyed every bit of it today!
Have a beautiful Monday!! :-)
xoxo
Janie
What beautiful plates...I love how they are all blue...I collect souvenir plates but the tacky kind...I collect state plates from the 1950's...Be sure to stop by my blog this thursday as I'm joining in on Tablescape Thursday and I'm featuring the plates....Sue.
My vote is for a photo tour of all of the whimsy, hosted by the adorable Miss Cecelia. You always leave me wanting more!
Your plate is collection is amazing. I must be too busy searching out chocolate when I am in stores, because I rarely see tourist plates. Now, I want to start collecting, too.
All of those places look really interesting. I did go to the Ringling place as a teen. If it weren't for the "sweet" wife of my dad, I could be in Sarasota visiting again. Ooops, do you think she reads your blog? Sorry for the digression.
I hope Miss Cecelia studied her spelling words and got an A on the test. :)
Love these plates Sheila, what a neat collection. Thanks for taking time to describe what we're seeing on each one. Hugs to the sweet Cecelia for helping out today!
I lloovvveee these blue and white souvenir plates! In fact, I love blue and white china, period. I'd love to have a set of these plates that represent the places I've visited...So far I've only managed to nab an Asbury Park, NJ, one.
And...Vanna White's got nothin' on Cecelia! She's a fabulous assistant. :-)
Hugs from up north,
Laura
Sheila,
What a beautiful collection of Blues....They are Beautiful! Thanks for the sweet comments....You are so special...Thanks for being so faithful stopping by to visit me...If there were Faithful Award...you deserve to have it....You have a wonderful evening and tomorrow. I'm going to be out again tomorrow to celebrate my friend Dee birthday...Her birthday is tomorrow...After Tuesday...I will be good...I'm been so busy this last 3 weeks...LOL...trying to catch up my blogging...and email. Smiles and Hugs..katherinellen
I love, love, LOVE your tourist plates! Each one is unique and exotic in its own way. Great Blue Monday!
Tink *~*~*
NEW at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* : EPCOT at Walt Disney World - blue, yellow, CANDY!
wowweee! so many beautiful blue plates to drool at! and Ms Cecelia is adorable! have a great week!
What a great post. I knew and have been to most of the places on the plates. esp. being from Sarasota, Fl. I have never seen these plates before they are beautiful. What a terrific collection.
Oh golly Sheila...I wish I had seen this post while my grandson was here because I think Miss Cecelia would be a great candidate for his Mrs. someday...
LOL...is she not the most adorable little miss ever! And believe you me...I'm very particular when it comes to my one & only...;-) Bo
I’m baaacck. :-)
Thank you for the birthday wishes! I wish I were joking about the set for Rent…but it’s the honest truth. We were thinking about how to create access to our widow’s walk all weekend…my handy uncle was over; we were plotting and sketching…so as soon as I sat in my seat all I could think about was that nice, narrow stairway complete with a handrail. LOL…I’m a hot, Design Star-wannabe mess. ;-)
Hi Shelia,
I love your collection of blue plates. I would love to visit some of the places featured on the plates!
Happy Blue Monday!
Good Evening, everyone! Thanks so much for your visits and your comments! I've enjoyed visiting all of you today and reading about your blueness and other adventures on your blogs. I appreciate you coming by SO much. Thanks for all of the nice comments about the plates, but more importantly about Cecelia. And Bo, I'm passing along the info on your grandson to Cecelia's mom! :-) Wouldn't that be something if a romance bloomed in the land of blog! LOL!
Again, I appreciate all of you SO much! I've read EVERY comment... smiled and laughed. You made my day! :-)
Sweet dreams...
XO,
Sheila :-)
You have such a wonderful collection of blue plates.They are all so lovely.And you have a very cute assistant
Hi Sheila
You own such a wonderful collection of blue transfer-ware plates! It's so nice that they all have memories attached to them of special places you've visited.
Cecelia is such a little doll, What a happy face she has!
Thanks, Ladies! And I think my assistant is a definite keeper! :-)
Have a wonderful day!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Ohhhh...Miss Sheila! I was out all day yesterday and just found this wonderful post!! You know I love your beautiful blue and white transferware plates!! But the best thing was the wonderful memories of all of the places I have visited in Florida!! We use to vacation there every year and I love so many of the spots you mentioned!! Thanks for sharing...and kudos to your lovely assistant!! hugs...Debbie
Thanks, Debbie! I got most of these on eBay, and I set a limit as to how much I was willing to spend. It was in the old days when things were new and fun! My assistant loves to be on "television" or so she excitedly told me. She reminded me a little of Tigger in her exuberance. ;-)
XO,
Sheila
What a beautiful collection of blue plates!
Enjoy your day.
Donna
I could read your writings all day - you truly have a gift and I enjoy it so much! I love these special plates and the history and landmarks that they represent... so fun. And now I miss Bok Tower - must get there soon!
Love to you,
Kim
Donna and Kim... thank you both so very much for your kind comments! I'm so glad you like the plates. :-)
Kim, I dropped by your blog and LOVE your birds. How adorable they are! Ooooooh, they are shiny objects! :-)
And Kim, your encouragement has meant so much to me. I appreciate it more than you know. Your blog ranks high on the Richter Scale of blogs that make my heart smile. :-)
Sending much love to you both...
XO,
Sheila :-)
blue plates on a Blue Monday.
Not so blue after looking at all these gorgeous plates!
your goddaughter is so adorable too. what a sweetie.
Thank you for visiting my blog!
I LOVE these blue plates. I have added them to my "TO FIND" list once the sales start up again in the spring!! I found 1 small plate at the thrift store last week, and I decided I needed to build upon it!
Hi, Silver and Cindy... thanks for the sweet comments and for your visits. Always nice to meet someone new! :-)
XO,
Sheila :-)
Post a Comment