Good Morning, and it's another Thankful Thursday at Rhondi's Rose Colored Glasses. The only thing is, you're going to have to excuse me today. I know that the sign says I'm on the phone to Paris, but I'm actually on the road to exhausted! It's finally caught up with me... the late night blogger burnout. Not only that, but I have to travel over the next couple of days and serve at a bridal tea on Saturday. So while I will definitely come to visit you, it may take me longer than usual. But please know I will persevere and be there. I thoroughly enjoy visiting you. Wouldn't miss a day's visiting for all the tea in China! And I also hate not to return a call paid here because I appreciate ALL of your visits to me. :-)
One of the key things I'm very thankful for right now is my cell phone. When I'm traveling, I like knowing it's in the car with me. I can remember pre-cell phone days of driving alone, and it wasn't fun. At least this way if you break down on the road, you're covered! Anyone else know that feeling?
Another thing I'm thankful for is blogging friends, and sometimes those friends tag you with MeMes. That's what Judi of Cranberry Blossom did to me recently, and I'm passing this along to any of you who want to play. If you want to play, you have to link back to me and tag someone else to keep the ball rolling. :-)
After the tag, I started thinking about the MeMe in addition to all of that talk about Cecelia wanting to be Vanna White, and it got me thinking about memories. To be specific, it's important to make memories each day... whether it's with a young child, a neighbor, your friend, or your family (fur or human). Memories are a big part of who we are, and I am very thankful for mine. I am particularly thankful for the quirky ones. They are particularly "shiny" and fun for the baby bird in me to take out and examine. So here are "Seven Things People May Not Know About Me" (depending on who's reading)...

1) Knock-Knock... Practical jokes (harmless ones) have always amused me, whether I was the joker or the jokee. To that end, I can make a noise with my tongue like someone knocking. And I'm not just talking about clucking my tongue. I mean knocking and LOUDLY! I can make (and have made) people think someone is actually at the door -- Now QUICK! Go answer it! ;-)
2)The Unmade Bed aka Mrs. Magpie Tackles City Hall... Years ago, I appeared at City Hall for a meeting, wearing my cute new black sweater with a white lace collar, a white and black tattersall plaid skirt, and a great pair of black shoes. (Mama bought the outfit for me!) I rushed to make it to the meeting because my alarm didn't go off, and Mr. Magpie was not in town to wake me. When I got to the top step of the building, I saw two friends outside smoking cigars. One of them looked at me sorta funny, and I said jokingly, "What's wrong? Do I have my clothes on inside out or something?" To which he replied, "Yes, unless those are supposed to be there." And with that, he pointed. My sweater was turned inside out with the shoulder pads on top, like epaulets!
Hey, at least it was a cute outfit. ;-)
3) Needed: Guidance Counselor... Aside from having a burning desire to be Miss Kitty or a teacher when I was little, I also had visions of becoming a chemist or a Rockette like the ones at Radio City Music Hall. Guess that means I could work teaching chemistry at the local Dodge City One-Room Schoolhouse by day and high kick my way across the Longbranch stage by night in between romancing Matt Dillon and putting on big fake beauty marks.
4) Hystertic Preservation... My father, the history buff, used to take us on Sunday afternoon "hysterical" tours when I was young. That's what my mother called them because we would ply ourselves with Cokes on hot summer days and end up millions of miles from the nearest restroom and/or end up car sick and always hysterical. Daddy would invariably stop to get directions and get us even more lost. He blamed it on Mama's inability to read a map. Typical man. ;-)
5) Baby Love... My parents were old enough to be my grandparents. My father used to say, "Baby, don't ever let anyone tell you that you weren't wanted because you were wanted more than any child on this earth!" I was clueless what he was talking about (grownups always talked in riddles), but I accepted what he said as fact. Still do. :-)
6) Going to The Chapel... Mr. Magpie and I eloped. My oldest sister and her husband eloped. My parents eloped.
7) Wheel of Fortune... Vanna White came to our wedding reception, and none of us knew who she was but her date! ;-)
a) After we eloped, Mr. Magpie and I were given a large reception by my mother (my father was deceased). One of the guests at the party (the date of Mr. Magpie's former college roommate) was none other than Vanna White. Yes, THE Vanna White. We had no clue who she was. We'd been so busy studying our way through college, grad school, and law school that we didn't have time to watch "Wheel of Fortune." No, we watched more uplifting and highly educational programs like "Guiding Light" (daytime soap) and "Dallas" (nighttime soap). ;-)
b) I have a white GMC cargo van like Larry the Cable Guy drives (two seats, open back) for ferrying all of my stuff around. It's probably the only cargo van in existence that consistently plays hits from the likes of Mozart and Mussorgsky. I drive it everywhere from flea markets to country clubs. Mr. Magpie dubbed it Vanna White as in white van or Vanna for short. My friends often hear, "I took Vanna to Savannah," or "Vanna and I went to the antique mall." After mentioning this to Mr. Magpie's mother, she asked if we remembered when none of us knew who Vanna White was when she came to our reception. And we had FORGOTTEN Vanna White had even come to the reception! LOL! That's really sad, folks. Really, really sad. I could remember that Mr. Magpie's great aunts came through the receiving line THREE times and could quote you verbatim what they said, but not poor Vanna. Hopefully, the rolling homage to Vanna will make up for it. ;-)
And on that note, I'll call it a day. Thanks so much for visiting, and I look forward to visiting each of you. Please join me in visiting the other participants at Rhondi's for more Thankful Thursday posts. You can get there by clicking here. And if you want to do the MeMe, don't forget to link back because I'd love to read it. If you don't, that's fine, too. No taking off points here on Thankful Thursday! :-)

Quintessentially,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)
P.S. It rained, and I'm still here! So I turned to Psalm 118:24 and my emphasis added through itallics... This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. A little rain never kept a magpie down! :-)




39 comments:
Hi Sheila...I love your little door pillow thingy! And your facts about yourself are a hoot! The Vanna White incident is really amazing! Did she show up in your wedding pictures? I name my cars, too. My current one is Tawanda in honor of "Fried Green Tomatoes." lol Enjoy your well-deserved break!! Hugs...Debbie
Hi Sheila! :) I'm with you on the tired! lol
That is too funny about Vanna! I love having little inside jokes like that - so much fun. Oh, and the story about your sweater made me laugh - I could just picture it!
Hope you get some much need rest this weekend! ;) {{hugs}}
Good morning Sheila! That's a great nickname for your van :) Sadly, Vanna herself went on to divorce, get engaged and then broken engagement. They announced her birthday on ET yesterday (52). She and Pat have it made with those fun, easy jobs. Now take a nice break until things settle down for you - Take care!
That remark from your father shows what a well-loved childhood you had. I loved Dallas too and miss it.
Sheila~
I checked Rhondi's blog early this morning, and she didn't have her "Thankful Thursday" post up yet...I hope she's just running late! Oh, and thanks so much for pointing out to me that I'd put my "Blue Monday" post on Mr. Linky yesterday. Don't know what happened there, and there was even a smiley face after my name! Very strange! :)
I just love how you write...you always make me laugh! I can't believe that THE Vanna White atended your wedding reception! How neat is that? Did you snap any pics. of her?
My dad was 2 months shy of 40 when I came along...I was the baby and I'm pretty sure an "oopsey", if you know what I mean! He, like your dad, always told me that I was planned and cherished...the "planned" part still makes me wonder! LOL!
Take whatever time you need to recooperate...you always know where to find us!♥
By the way, any idea what's happened with "The Muse"? I really miss visiting her...she's been away for 2 weeks or more.
Wonderful post, Sheila! Loved reading this. Made me smile.
Enjoy your weekend!
You all eloped..it's a family "thing"...fun info!
-sandy toe
Good Morning, Everyone!
Thanks for making me smile. :-) I wanted to say that sadly we don't have any pictures of Vanna. A family friend was the one who was taking pictures (he was an outstanding amateur photographer), but he got pictures of people he knew. And apparently, he didn't see her there or didn't know who she was, either. It was a huge party (...a few hundred of your closest friends LOL!)so he probably missed her altogether. Her date sat in the bar for most of the night, and the photographer never touched liquor... so there you have it! LOL! She wasn't that famous back then. How anyone can be famous for turning numbers just baffles my brain. LOL!
XO,
Sheila :-)
funny stuff!
we had a van named Vanna when I was growing up! May she rest in peace.
xo
chasity
Good morning Sheila...The title of this post alone was worth reading..
LOL...you have such a marvelous way of telling a story...I just love to come visit your blog & see what goodies you have posted...
this was a real GOOD one.
Have a safe trip! ;-) Bo
Shelia,
I knew you were someone special that I wanted to get to know. Loved reading all this great stuff. Hey!!!!!!you didn't remember Vanna because you were in LOOOOvE
Have agreat trip.
Blessings,
Sue
Hi Sheila!! Thanks for poppin over!! That made my day!!
You are so delightful! I just loved reading this post! You seem to have a light, joyful heart, and that just makes me happy!!
Vanna for your van is hilarious!!
Hysterical instead of historical...sounds like stuff with my Dad sometimes!!
Well, thank you so much for the lift in my spirit!! I needed that!
Have a joyful day!!
Becky
me...Knock...knock
you...who is there?
me.... FABRIC
you...fabric who???
me...FABRIC QUEEN
Oh shame on me...AND on Thankful Thursday! Thankful you will STILL love me...
Good morning Sheila! (I'm a little slow today :D) I have to tell you that this post touched me so deeply. It's because of your hysterical tours. My daddy (who's passed) used to stop at every historical marker he saw when we were traveling. We traveled a lot. He always read the markers in some silly voice or did an impersonation of the person it was about and that always made us go crazy laughing in the backseat. We started calling them hysterical markers after that. I still call them hysterical markers when I see one. Thanks for bringing that memory back for me ♥ I hope you have a safe trip! Love, Kathy
Oh Sheila, your post is hilarious. You are such an interesting lady. Come back soon and tell us all about your trip!
Thanks, Lana
Thanks for your comments, ladies! Unfortunately, the rain delayed the loading of Vanna. I had objects that simply could not risk getting wet. SO, my trip is delayed by a day. But all things work together for good to those who love the Lord!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Enjoyed reading about you- probably loved #5 the best (smart man- except when cokes are involved!)and laughed quite a bit over the others.
thanks.
jenny
Hi Sheilaness! First of all, be the safest one on your trip! I know about almost getting burned out on blogging, it's so much fun, but we all need to take a break at times. We'll be here when you get back. I enjoyed reading about you, Dearest.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Sheila, I am amazed at your meme stories. Vanna White??? Wow! Your nonchalance made me laugh. Your sweater story made me laugh and I needed one. I am sorry about the rain. All things happen for a reason. I drove a huge Ford window van (not attractive) for several years to carry my five kids and their friends everywhere. One night I drove it to a home decorating party and when I came out to get in my Van, one of the women said, "Is that yours? I would have expected you to have a Cadillac." I have had many a laugh over that comment.
Making memories is so important Sheila and you do have lots of them. I enjoy them all. Your dad sounds like he was a terrific guy. My dad took us on many a Sunday drive adventure over the years. He never would tell us where we were going. Sometimes we ended up in the weirdest places. Once we ran over a huge Diamondback rattler in the everglades. It felt like we ran over a log. My dad loved it and we (six kids) were scared to death. LOL.
Love you and please drive carefully. Keep your cell phone handy.
xoxo Jeanne
The posts where you reveal things about yourself are my favorite. I am tagging you with the request to list 250 things we might not know. I can send someone to drive you around, so you blog from your car.
I don't think I would know Vanna White, either. It is rather nifty that you had someone famous at your reception.
I think eloping is a great idea. I met a friend today for lunch. I was out of town, so I had missed her daughter's wedding. As we looked at the album and discussed the wedding, I kept sending eloping vibes to my daughter.
You were a cute little girl. Where is the mature Magpie pic? I am getting demanding, eh? Your driver will come armed with a camera.
Slow down Missy. Rain and exhaustion do not mix well for driving.
Worrying and freezing,
Lisa
Heeheeheehee. Too funny about the sweater. I only did that one time. I went to the gym with my pants back to front and my t-shirt inside out. Must have been having an off day.
Hi Sheila
Thank you for sharing about you...thank you for the chuckles..actually I laughed out loud and I was sitting along when I read your Magpie Tackles..*lol*. I could just imagine that.
Interesting that all 3 couples eloped...so many interesting thingsa about you.
Thank you for playing along and sharing.
I'm sorry you are feeling burned out...you have been busy then. I hope the weather gets better and you get out and have a lovely day!
*Hugs*
Judi
Lisa, LOL! You don't want to see a picture of a grizzly old bird. [Note to self: Are birds grizzly?]
You may rest easy as I can't go anywhere, and it's not raining now. It was storming this A.M. I didn't budge. I'm sitting tight till I can load the car with Mr. Magpie's help. I wish you were here to go have lunch in St. A. Sending love to you and Debbie, Ms. Tee and Cam, Sally and April, Pat and Sandy, Chastity and Bo, Sue and Becky, Jane and Kathy, Lana and Jenny, Shelady, and Jeanne! It's like Romper Room: "Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?" LOL! You ALL make me smile REALLY BIG... like Cheshire Cat BIG! :-)
Sending love your way...
XO,
Sheila :-)
And Patti and Judy! See what happens when I write a long post! LOL! Love to you two, too!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Judi with an "i" which I know VERY well. Sorry. It's me rushing...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Great post. Love all the random facts, so funny that you actually did have your clothes on backwards :)
l just googled vanna white..still none the wiser...but then lm in the uk.
Saz, Vanna is a woman who turns numbers on a popular game show called "Wheel of Fortune," and for some reason because a celebrity. She's pretty, but I've never quite figured out her celebrity status. But she is quite famous here in the U.S. LOL!
Sheila :-)
Make that "became" a celebrity.
Hi Shelia,
That was a fun read! Can't believe Vanna White attended your reception.
I totally understand about visiting...it is harder for me to get around...and I wish I could visit more. Not enough hours in the day...and there is life to be lived!
Visit when you can and take the pressure off yourself!
First of all I am wondering what you mean by "serving" at the bridal shower. Are you a caterer? Secondly, it is indicated that you went to law school so it appears you are an attorney that caters on the side, or a caterer that practices law on the side! And finally, it appears that you are completely in the dark about game shows...
So Mrs. Magpie, private as you are, can you put aside your mysterious facade for one moment and reveal a little more than what you posted for your Meme?
Respectfully yours,
Jane
Oh Sheila,
You sure tickle my funny bone with your wonderful sense of humor, warmth and sweetness.
I can picture the sweater on a very well dressed girl.. You could have started a new trend! City meetings can get boring and I bet you could have stirred things up a bit.... I once wore a navy blue shoe and a black shoe which looked the same color in the closet and dashed out the door... could not make the change until that night. LOL It is a good thing laughter is so good for our souls.
Your dad sounds so much like mine..not asking for directions and taking us some wild adventures;-0! That was so sweet what he always told you. You were adorable:)
I laughed about Vanna White at your wedding reception. Love your van and all the fun and service you enjoy with 'her'. It sounds like this weekend is no different.
Please be SAFE and have an ejoyable trip.
Love, Beth
Hi, Ladies... just checking in for a few.
Janie, my friend, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be mysterious. I'll see if I can clarify. I'm neither a caterer (though I drive a cargo van when I'm not driving its polar opposite) nor a lawyer (though Mr. Magpie is). I went to grad school when he was in law school, so its the royal "we" who went to both together. LOL! :-)
In the South, we use the term "serve" at parties because it's considered an honor to pour tea. You invite only your nearest and dearest to do that. The hostess, the bride, and her mother will be greeting while I'm at a table pouring away, hopefully not in my lap. ;-) We serve punch and coffee when those are served at a fancy party, too. If I were the caterer, people would be RUNNING for the hills. LOL! Hope that helps. :-)
Beth, I'm glad you got a chuckle. I love your shoe story. My cousin did something similar only it was a heel and a flat! LOL! Don't ask. I could tell some really funny stories on her. She's actually my first cousin's wife, and I adore her.
Love you all!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Diane, hugs to you, too! :-)
XO,
Sheila
Hi Sheila--your story about Vanna is too much! We didn't have a TV for several years when our kids were small--trying to get them to read more--and we were very out of the loop regarding TV personalities. Had to get a TV again as the kids got older so they would not be the ONLY children on the entire PLANET who did not have a TV!
Amazing no one knew who Vanna White was then. But then if people were not watching the show, they are not gonna know. Right? Right!
Lorrie, that sounds like my friend Nancy. They didn't have one for years and years, and finally they do now. They wanted their kids to read. I think they cheated, though, and went to neighbors' houses to watch. ;-)
Linnea, absolutely, lutely! :-) I'm surprised my mother didn't know her, but I guess it wasn't the channel she watched. LOL!
XO,
Sheila
I am thankful that you are so funny and such a joy to read what you write! I LOVE the hysterical tours! I also love that you had older parents, since I am raising my grandkids...come visit anytime! Melinda
Melinda, I just got back from a visit to your blog, and it is wonderful. How talented you are! Methinks your grandchildren are very blessed to have you in their lives in this pivotal role! :-)
Sending you lots of love...
XO,
Sheila
Post a Comment