Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday: Listen and Love Without Ceasing...

Today is Thankful Thursday at Rhondi's Rose Colored Glasses, and while I am thankful for many things, I am truly thankful for the example that my lovely friend Nancy has set for me and for others who know her. Nancy is one of those women who is a natural beauty, and her beauty is magnified by her very loving spirit. You see it immediately in her kind eyes and sweet smile, and her inner qualities shine like the noon day sun. Oh, how I want to be Nancy when I grow up! :-)



Nancy is on the left in the above picture, and she's standing with our friend Stephanie, another one who is lovely through and through. Nancy is older and Stephanie younger than I am. (Seems friendship is an ageless thing!)

Nancy and I have been close friends for many years. I just naturally gravitated toward her because not only is she fun, but she has the world's most positive attitude. She always sees the glass half full. She is loving and giving, and she is the kind of sister you would pick for yourself. I proudly claim her as my sister of the heart.

Several years ago, Nancy went through something that no parent ever wants to experience, the death of a child. While she and her husband have four children, they only had one daughter, and it was Kelly they lost. Kelly, who was so full of life that my husband once said she was what you thought of as the perpetual surfer girl... a golden child with long blonde hair, beautiful tan, healthy, happy, and friendly, as in never-knew-a-stranger friendly. And that's how we will always remember her.

Nancy's trial began when Kelly, a newly-wed of five months, was critically injured in a horseback riding accident and never regained consciousness after neurosurgery. It was an ordeal that all of Nancy's friends and family felt keenly, but when Nancy's feet were put to the fire in the worst possible way, she rose like cream to the surface as did her precious husband, Ron. Their faith in the Lord sustained them through that roughest of times and added an even greater dimension in their capacity to love and be loved.

During what has got to have been the worst week of their lives, I was privileged to be with them every day, all day, and I consider it a privilege because I have never seen so much love radiate from two people, bereaved or not. As tired and heart broken as they were, they ministered to literally everyone who came through their door, particularly Kelly's young friends. And though in the kind of deep pain that makes it hard to even draw a full breath, they looked for the lessons amidst a shipwreck in the life they once knew, lessons they could pass on to others. While it was a horrible event, it was their finest hour, and while I'm saddened still to this day, I'm blessed that I was there to experience their witness. I stood there day after day in awe, and I still am in awe. From that passage, they gained remarkable new courage and insight, and they became even more of a blessing to all those who know them and for those who meet them.

Interestingly, Ron has spent a great deal of time helping to rebuild the shipwreck that is the Mississippi Gulf Coast. He parlayed his experience as the army's coordinator of relief efforts in Bosnia and voluntarily led teams of volunteers (mostly Floridians) to the Coast to help rebuild things there. If there's someone who understands devastation, it's Ron, and his positive attitude and can-do spirit are contagious to those around him. He instills hope in others, even when hope seems all but lost, and Nancy who has has that same ability has helped him in these efforts.

A little closer to home... each year Nancy has a ladies party at Christmas, and the year of their loss, a friend hosted the party instead. Nancy still came, and she asked all of us to share one lesson we'd learned that year. When her turn came, you could have heard a pin drop as she shared, and I would like to share that lesson with you.

As any of her friends will tell you, Nancy personifies Lady Bountiful at every holiday, but that is especially the case at Christmas. She always finds the perfect gifts for her friends and family and makes the holidays so special and inclusive. And she decorates to the hilt. Well that Christmas, Nancy and Ron had been through so much that they decided to just stop and not do any shopping or entertaining. Instead they would give what they felt was the most valuable gift they had which was their time. And they would spend that time listening to the ones they loved... friends, family, co-workers. For, as Nancy said, if you give people your time, they will share their very hearts with you, and they will, in essence, tell you who they are.

For weeks after the funeral, Nancy had taken the time to celebrate Kelly's life. And because Nancy is the kind of mother who kept scrapbooks and journals, she was able to look through these memories alone and with those who loved Kelly and savor the person her daughter was. While listening to others talk and share their memories, Nancy discovered each person had a different piece of the puzzle that made Kelly complete and even more remarkable. Nancy also felt joy and comfort in the knowledge and assurance that the Lord has made it possible for her to be with Kelly forever in the hereafter and never to be separated from her again.

From the heartbreak of that experience, my precious friend Nancy gleaned the best and continues to give love abundantly from the endless supply in her heart. Her sons are a testament to this ability in both of their parents. Her first son has two precious little boys to whom he is devoted, and when her second son Andy and his wife Amy just had their first baby on January 11th of this year, Andy's joy was such that Nancy laughingly said they had to pry the baby from his arms! He simply couldn't put him down! LOL! So I am thankful today that yet another generation of children are being born who will know how to love without ceasing. Oh, how the world needs more of that! Just look at how much this father loves his son, and note, Andy sent me this picture himself! Could his smile get any bigger? :-)




I'm so glad that you visited today for Thankful Thursday, and I encourage you to visit Rhondi's blog, Rose Colored Glasses, to view what more thankful participants have to share. You can get there by clicking here. And trust me, you'll be glad you did! I know because I am, too! :-)



And remember to always listen and love without ceasing...

Thankfully,


Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

45 comments:

Lorrie said...

Sheila what a lovely and inspiring post this is. The situation that Nancy and Ron had to face is something that every parent dreads. It encourages me to hear how through their own faith and by the grace of God they were able to face this trial and not allow it to destroy them but to make them stronger. You are very blessed and fortunate to have Nancy as a friend. Thank you for telling her story so eloquently today.

Anonymous said...

That was very touching to read Sheila. Your new XOXO header for your lovely blog suits you well!

Picket said...

What a beautiful heart touching post & testimony Sheila...I could not even begin to imagine the pain of Nancy & Ron...but I praise God for their love & faith...their story has stirred my soul...thank you sweet friend for this wonderful post! I hope you are having a truly blessed week!

supplies overflowing! said...

Thank you.
jenny

Anonymous said...

An amazingly beautiful post, Sheila.

Thank you so very much for sharing Nancy's story.

Anonymous said...

Sheila~

That is just a beautiful tribute to this amazing couple. How lucky you all are to have each other.

You are always so inspiring!

Have a great weekend :-)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Sheila..What a wonderful post! I have to stop to wipe the tears so that I can type! No one should ever have to endure the loss of a child. Your friend sounds like an amazing person! I understand why you are so thankful for her! And what a wonderful lesson she learned. I will try to be a better listener as a result of reading this post. How wonderful that she was able to get to know her daughter even better by just listening! But I must also add that she is very blessed to have you as a friend as well. Have a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

Sue said...

Oh!! Shelia,
I am always encouraged when I visit with you. This is such a wonderful tribute to Nancy, by reading this I feel the faith that she and her husband have in God. You are truly blessed,and I think she feels so blessed to have you as a friend, I know I do. Have a great Thankful Thursday.
Blessings,Sue

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, inspiring Thankful Thursday post Sheila! Thank you for sharing Nancy's touching story and your friendship.

Beth at Aunties said...

Shelia,

Truly what a most inspiring post of love and friendship. It brought tears to my eyes as you described your precious friend Nancy. She actually embodies all I feel you have and give to others.
My heart broke for her and Ron and all they went through. They have our family, three amazing sons and one precious daughter whom we adore.
I immediately put myself in their shoes and what a beautiful couple they are as they rose above their own grief to care for others who were also hurting.
Thanks for sharing their story with us this morning. It is one I will remember for a long time and I too will try to become a better listener and give my time more freely. It made me feel I should quit blogging as much and catch up on some neglected scrapbooks for our children.
Thanks for being you!
Enjoy a wonderful day. :-)

♥♥♥

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful friend for you to have..... very touching post about your friend....
HUgs
Linda

Ms. Tee said...

Sheila, that was such a lovely post. I can't imagine having to go thru what Nancy and her husband went through. Nancy sounds like such an amazing & sweet lady, just like you. Thank you for sharing her story and that new, sweet little baby that God gave them. {{hugs}}

Emily said...

Sheila, that was a beautiful tribute to your friend. I'm on my lunch break and shouldn't be crying, you ornery lady :)

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

Sheila,
All I can say is thank you for sharing the journey of your incredible friend and her family. You truly are a gifted writer and the story you've chosen to share today is a beautiful example of God's unending Grace. You have truly blessed my heart today so I pray that God will abundantly bless and favor you as you continue to uplift the heart of each and every person that visits this blog.
I wanted to thank you for coming over to visit me at Carolina Panache. I was really honored that you would go to so much trouble as to google me when my link didn't work. I had typed in my link incorrectly - I left out an "a". Oops. Your comments were so gracious. Thank you. I have added your site to my blogroll and I have added myself to your followers. I look forward to getting to know you through your posts. God bless and favor you always! :-)
Warmly,
Alisa - Carolina Panache

Rhondi said...

Hi Sheila
What a beautiful post. Friends like Nancy enrich our lives don't they? A frine like that is a rare treasure and you are very blessed to have such a friend.Hugs, Rhondi

April said...

Sheila~
Your post has left me completely speechless...that was so beautiful, my friend! What a precious gift you've found in Nancy and what an inspiration she is! Her faith is a true testament that God can heal the brokenhearted...THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for sharing this wonderful story!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
What a wonderful and inspirational friend you have in Nancy. I am glad you were able to be there for her when she needed you. I am pleased to hear she is enjoying her grandchildren. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post about your beautiful friendship.
Lindsay

SmilingSally said...

She sounds like a special friend. Surely friends are people we should be thankful for.

Bo said...

Oh Sheila...there is no way I can tell you how much this post has touched my heart ...since I too am a mother who has lost a child...my only child... please give my love to your friend Nancy & her family!
;-) Bo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank all of you SO much for your sweet comments and loving thoughts you left. This was very difficult to write because it hit so close to home. Kelly was precious to me, and I loved her sweet little heart SO much. I can name the number of times I've seen Mr. Magpie cry on one hand, and this was one of them. We were bereft for months and months, so I can't imagine how her family felt. There was a big gaping hole where a ray of sunshine had been.

But even going through it, Nancy and Ron gave the rest of us strength, and I just stand in awe of them. This was a hard post to write because I didn't want it to be maudlin because they are so not maudlin, and they are devout believers. They look for the best and give the best in all things, and I found Nancy's advice so good that I wanted to share. I just spent several days with her, and I always think she's one of the greatest people I've ever had the privilege to know.

Thanks again, and much love to each of you...

XO,

Sheila... who has been traveling

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Bo, I sure will and bless your sweet heart! You are a dear, dear person, and I wish I could give you a big hug right now.

XO,

Sheila

Femin Susan said...

Hi......
Cute baby....... That was very touching......... Very touching post...

Shell in your Pocket said...

Thanks for sharing this story..wow!
-sandy toe

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dear Sheilaness, what a beautiful thankful post about your friend! She sounds amazing and I do admire her precious outlook on life! God's grace is amazing and they have shown with their lives how they let Him bless them with that marvelous grace!
Look at your pretty new blog dress! Looks yummy!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

What brave and inspiring friends, Shelia. To live through such a tragedy and come out stronger because of it is certainly amazing. Thank you for so beautifully sharing their story. Dana

Judi said...

Hi Sheila
What a beautiful post you've shared with us. You are very special to have special friends like this. So special that you can appreciate your good friend Nancy as you do. Sometimes we don't know to do that. She sounds like a remarkable lady and an inspiration to so many others.
Very lovely....thank you.
Judi
p.s. I have MOVED to BLOGSPOT. I hope you'll come to visit me there. Have a nice evening...*hugs*

LADY JANE said...

What an awesome post Shelia, I had tears in my eues! What wonderful friends you have! Also "catching up here...loved your last post...so many "Piggy-Fest " people to meet..a real poke of the! Looks like you had fun!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Great post Sheila... and what cute pictures!

Susan

Anonymous said...

DEAR SHELIA,
OKAY...TEARS...I JUST WENT THROUGH HALF A BOX OF KLEENEX.
THAT WAS THE MOST ELOQUENT TRIBUTE TO NANCY, RON,AND THEIR BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER KELLY.
IT IS A TESTAMENT OF THEIR LOVE OF CHRIST AND THEY HAVE EVERY FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT AS WELL AS YOU MY NEW FRIEND.
IT WAS WONDERFUL THAT YOU COULD BE THERE FOR HER EVERY DAY.
YOU JUST GAVE ALOT OF HOPE TO THOSE WHO ARE WITHOUT HOPE...
AND INSPIRED THOSE WHO ARE WEARY...
A BEAUTIFUL POST
BLESSINGS TO YOU
debbie

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is such an inspiration story and testiment to the goodness of God. He will work all things together for good for those who love Him. Thank you for sharing that, and give Nancy a hug for blog friends she will never know on this side. Linda

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks so much for dropping by, Ladies! I'm glad you enjoyed meeting Nancy... I just wish you could meet her in person. She is a love! So is her husband! They are two of our favorite friends. It's very easy to love them. I've been thinking about Kelly a lot lately because another friend's daughter is getting married, and Nancy is giving a party for her tomorrow. So that's where I will be this weekend among other places.

XO,

Sheila :-)

the wild raspberry said...

I have been sitting here staring at my computer in tears with a heavy heart this morning--and that was before I came to this post. My sweet friend Becky from Sweet Cottage Dreams has lost her son this week. Perhaps your dear friend Nancy could stop over at her blog and find some words to say. I feel so helpless--so far away from her yet I still wouldn't know what to offer {besides prayers and hugs} It just breaks my heart.
Warmly,
Chasity

Anonymous said...

Sheila, thank you for sharing your precious friend with us. I am smiling through my tears.

God is great.

Anonymous said...

Morning, Dear Sheilaness! Oh, I just love your visits and I'm glad to be back. Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks so much, Beverly, Chastity, and Shelia! Sending love to you in return.

Chastity, I saw that tragic story after I posted this (saw a message about the girl on Daisy Cottage) and left a message about how sorry I am for her on both blogs. You are doing the thing she needs most which is praying for her and sending messages of love. Nancy isn't a blogger, but if your friend wants her number, I'm sure Nancy would be happy to talk to her.

Sending love to all of you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Carrie said...

What a great blessing it is to have friends like Nancy!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

So true, Carrie! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Shelia, This is a very touching post to read. Thank you for sharing.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you, Carol. She is a love and a joy and so was Kelly. :-)

XO,

Sheila

Blondie's Journal said...

Sheila,

I am just absolutely at a loss for words about this touching, heart-wrenching post. Every comment you received seemed to come straight from my heart as well. Your post was a tribute to Nancy, Ron, their family, friends, faith and of course their beautiful daughter.

I am so gratified to have met you. You see people and the world through a very wise, old soul and if you don't mind, I'd like to hang out with you awhile.

All my love,
Jane

akawest said...

Your love for Nancy came across when I read your post.I could tell that you are a wonderful friend and pillar of support to your friend. You are both very lucky to have each other.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful lady Nancy is with such a beautiful family too, it is really heartbreaking to hear about Kelly's passing. Nancy and Ron are a truly remarkable couple and they have a special friend in you Sheila, big hugs, Kathy.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Sheila

I'm sorry I haven;t visited for a few days ...I've been going to a few doctors for routine check ups --dentist eye doctor, etc. and it is so time consuming.

This post was so beautifully written about such a special friend and her terrible sad tragedy. I don't know if I would be able to survive if something happened to either of my two children. It was good fro you to be there for her and her husband. This was also a beautiful tribute to Nancy and Ron and their sons and their angel Kelly.

I will keep that family in my prayers this weekend.

Hugs, Pat

Neabear said...

This is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your friend Nancy with us. Everybody has already said anything else I could ever say about this wonderful very moving post.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thanks so much -- Janie, Lisa, Kathy, Pat, and Linnea! I got to see Nancy today at this shower for a mutual friend's daughter, and she just radiates love. I always feel blessed to be around her and love her more than I could ever begin to tell you!

Thanks, again, for your sweet comments...

XO,

Sheila :-)