
Christmas is a very shiny time for a magpie. I don't know about you, but ornaments are one of my favorite parts of Christmas. Doesn't matter if they cost fifty cents or fifty dollars, I love a cute ornament!
And being a good self respecting magpie, one of my guilty little secrets is the fact that I have more than one tree. There's a serious tree with all of the angels and things that reflect the real meaning of Christmas (a Chrismon tree of sorts). Then there's the tree that reflects childhood... from dancing monkeys to Santas to angels to gingerbread people... kind of an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-and-maybe-even-that tree.
Each year, Mr. Magpie and I decide on one particular ornament, and we give that ornament to family members and friends who spend Christmas with us or vice versa. On the back of the ornament is the person's name and the date. It's kind of a fun little tradition. One year, we gave these gingerbread people (there were boys for the boys and girls for the girsl). I found some of the girls in a box tonight. They look good enough to eat...

Then of course there's this little bear sugar cookie. Mr. Magpie has always been particularly fond of bears, so we have quite a few who roam the branches of our tree. And this one, looks good enough to eat...

Hmmm... decisions, decisions. Should I have the gingerbread girl...
Or a bear with icing...
Or maybe I'd like to have a delicious yellow giraffe...
Or a tasty grey elephant...
Or an even tastier cinnamon dusted elephant named Hanibel...
Or maybe we can go outside and build a snowman. They're such friendly creatures, Let's be sure to put ear muffs on his little snow ears...
Or maybe a fancy hat and scarf...
Or maybe we can make some plump snowman cookies shaped like stars...
Or maybe we can just have a snowball fight!
Well, on second thought, maybe not. He's really too cute to throw.
I know! Let's take a hint from these angels, and be very, very sweet because we all know what season this is. And Santa is not about to do business with anyone who's truly naughty.
I'm going to resist the temptation to say something like, "That's just the way the cookies crumbles." ;-)
Instead, I'll be very nosey and ask, "What type of ornaments do you like? "
Curiously yours,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)




32 comments:
Dear Mrs Magpie:) I can truthfully say, that to date, I have yet to meet any ornament I did not like :)
However I do lean towards either handmade and vintage pieces. Those seem to have so much character.
I love the fact you have multiple trees...
And that your ornaments, (some) are edible :)
Good morning Sheila...You have a wonderful ornament collection... I haven't seen any as realistic as your gingerbread people...Yum, I could almost take a bite! ;-) Bo
I enjoyed seeing your ornaments. I'd like any or all of them because the ornaments I like best are the ones that come with a memory.
I have to agree with Sally...my favorites are the ones that have a memory attached!
I can't wait to see your tree!
Diane
Good morning sheila. I so love the ornaments you featured today. I love your cute text too. I am a great fan of glass fruit ornaments. I will be sharing them later. I saved for years before I had enough to decorate a tall skinny tree.
Today we have snow again and we are supposed to go to Ashville to visit the candlelight tour of Christmas. I have wanted to go for years and I hope the snow isn't a problem. We have an 85 mile drive through the mountains to get there. sigh.
Come get in the give-a-way today. three more days to go. I know you love ornaments. Do you feel lucky today?
Thank you for a delightful post that makes me smile.
Hugs...Jeanne
I like ,NO I love ornaments made of ANY fabric...lol...10,000 10,001 and counting! Did ya miss me? LOL
Hi, Ladies! I just got started pulling out boxes, and my favorite ornaments are buried somewhere! But like the Muse said, I've never met an ornament I didn't like. ;-) Bo, I have one gingerbread boy who has raisins for eyes! He was hiding when I took pictures. And Sally, I couldn't agree more about the memories attached to ornaments. I love the ones from our first tree that Mama gave us the first year we were married. Diane, I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to put up a smaller tree this year. I used to have a huge one, but I'm out of time to do that before something that's happening here. Jeanne, I hope you make it safely there! I will also pop over and put my name in the hat for your drawing. Can't wait to see your collection, either. :-)
Thanks for dropping by. I wish each of you a blessed day, and I look forward to visiting with you at yours respective nests! :-)
XO,
Sheila
Jane, you snuck in there while I was posting!!! Yes... 4501... I did miss you! LOL!
XO,
Sheila
It was fun to see your collection of ornaments! You have some neat ones. Will you share the Chrismon type ones? Our church puts Chrismon ornaments on the tree each year.
Hi, Linnea! Mine aren't really Crismons per se, but they are religious symbols and angels. I am going to incorporate all into one tree this year. I have some pretty gold crosses, and I collected these Victorian looking paper angels with gold embossing that I use on one tree and also angel busts.
I used to get white pines, and their limbs were so flimsy that I had to use light weight ornaments. These were pretty and old fashioned.
XO,
Sheila
oh golly Mrs M. !!!
Your addition to Rhyme is/was so fun!
FANTASTIC! LOL :) :)
Good morning Ms. Sheila :)
That is the cutest tradition - I love it! How sweet to give people who come an ornament.
I like all kinds of ornaments, too. Our tree has everything you can think of on it! I'll try and post some of my favorites soon, after I do what you did yesterday and clean!
I couldn't help but notice - are your ornaments on some quilts? They are so pretty - you should do a post on those, too!
P.S. That was so sweet what you said about my photos. When I was taking the pictures, lines were criss-crossing up and down like a tic tac toe board, and for some reason, it didn't show up when I posted them. And your photos are positively perfect. ;)
Ms. Tee, I am flattered, but my pictures are a little blurry. Mr. Magpie set the camera at a different speed, and I'm afraid to touch it. LOL! I can't wait to see your ornaments. The quilts are a conglomeration of ones I've bought and been given over the years. I will have to get them all in one place and try a little photo shoot. Some of the cutest I've found anywhere for the best price are Martha Stewart at K-Mart. For the money, you can't beat the cuteness. :-) Thanks for stopping over for a visit!
XO,
Sheila
Oh my, I love those cookie ornaments. But I have to confess, cookie ornaments would be in BIG trouble in our house.
I love your tradition!! Really neat! I also ENJOYED looking at all the great pictures of your ornaments. They are very impressive, but unfortunately was making me very hungry! lol!
Happy Thursday!
What a cute post SheLady maggie!! I'm kinda like you - I love them all! Old ones, new ones, plastic ones, glass ones.
I like your tradition of giving ornaments to your family members.
Be a sweetie,
SheLady ;)
Hi Sheila,
I love all the ornaments you featured. we also try to get "special" ornaments each year that signifies something meaningful for the family. i, too, love to give christmas ornaments as gifts.
i may have to have multiple trees as well. i just love christmas and decorating for this time of the year!
Hi, Ladies... I see that the Muse slipped in there before my last post to Ms. Tee (waving to you, Muse!), and there's someone new who has my favorite Pooh Animal as her photo (Hi, Trying to Stay Calm... a name after my own Magpieish heart), then Liz (I bet Mabel would have a field day with these ornies!), Daphine (I loved your post today you sweet girl!), and sweet Shelia with the tree! (yes, I saw it in all of its glory!), and my sweet Mary Anne (whose boys are the cutest thing going!)... welcome! You all make my day! :-) Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I enjoyed visting at your nests, too! :-)
XO,
Sheila
Sheila I loved visiting with all your ornaments. Some of my favorites are ones my children made when they were small and others that have come from my grandmother's tree.
You have a beautiful assortment of ornaments and treasures for your tree. I love the memories that accompany them.
Your gingerbread men remind me of some we made years ago for our tree. In fact our first tree some 37 years ago had gingerbread men on it.
Love your ornaments.Especially the gingerbreads !
Hey Sheila,
I love the background, the "birds of a feather", the award...everything !!!
I LOVE it when people showcase their individual ornaments like you did in this post. I love them all!!! My favorite is the snowman with glasses. : )
Ha ha...those aren't glasses on top of his head. I get it now. Silly me.
I love your gingerbread ornaments Sheila!
I love ornaments too! I try to buy one whereever I go on vacation so I'll have a memory of it, and I love angels and Santa Claus ornaments. I also collect Lenox ornaments and I still hang every ornament my children made for me over the years -- those ornaments get a place of honor in fact!
Hugs, Pat
What cute ornaments..love them!
The more glitter the better!
-sandy toes
Hi, ladies! Good to see you -- Lorrie, Beth, Theresa, Kim, ML, Pat, and Sandy Toes! I'm so glad I'm in good company with a bunch of ornament lovers! I was digging around again and found a whole lot of other "cookie" ones tonight. LOL! Christmas really is like a treasure trove when it comes to opening boxes and finding old friends and wonderful memories packed inside. Thanks for coming by to visit. I enjoyed visiting your blogs as well! :-)
XO,
Sheila
P.S. Pat, I hope you hear about that grandbaby soon! And Kim, I will call you soon! :-)
Hey girl...I love ornaments but my favorites are the old ones that have no rhyme or reason to them just beautiful memories...love all your pretty eye candy. Thanks so much for coming by to see the Burlys...you should go see Scooter over at Scooter Blus Whimsy...she just did one of her family and their dogs in a barn dance...lol lol!
Thanks, Dot, I'll rush right over! Loved yours!
XO,
Sheila :-)
What a nice tradition to give your guests an ornament. I like angel and musical instrument ornaments, nativities and much more.
http://oakrisecottage.blogspot.com/2008/12/friday-show-and-tell-christmas.html
I have a TOTAL explosion of mismatched ornaments...many have come from family and friends through the years. I've been putting up a big live tree every year...even when I was living alone in a small apartment. So people tend to buy me ornaments as gifts. Which I love! I could tell you where every ornament on my tree came from. And each year I drag the boxes out...it's like opening gifts to me! I love it.
Hi, Carrie and Laura! So glad you dropped in to visit. :-)
Carrie, I have a lot of little wooden violins and also some brass horns, too. Love them!
Laura, I know what you mean about the sentiment. I am a sentimental nut when it comes to Christmas, and I am so moved when I open the boxes... there are ornaments from so many people I love, both here and gone. It is like a special gift, and I look forward to it yearly.
XO,
Sheila
Post a Comment