Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Gotcha -- Tagged! Six Things to Value...or Not!



My new friend Andi from the cute blog Andi's Everyday Adventures tagged me recently for a MeMe post about the things I do and don't value. Here's my list, and if you make it through to the verrrrry end, you'll see who else got tagged from this blog! Who knows, it might be you! ;-)

"Six Things I Value" by Mrs. Magpie

1) A precious friend gave me that cute little pillow above, but I have a confession to make... I'm probably the only Southerner alive who prefers hot herbal tea to sweet iced tea! However, I do love porch swings and value good manners. Good manners go hand in hand with happiness in my book. And I'm taking it beyond good table manners and "Yes M'am" and "No M'am" to include good breeding which is under-girded by basic human kindness. That is something definitely not limited to region or country. The bloggers I know are proof positive that civility knows no geographical bounds! :-)

Etiquette is based on civility, and civility is at the basis of being a good person. It’s because we value others and God that we have good manners, that we don’t try to deliberately hurt others, and that there is a system of rules that helps everyone to know how to behave. You know that you should invite someone to your party if they invite you to theirs', that company does as company pleases, and that you should serve your guests first and that they should get the biggest slices of cake. It makes life infinitely more livable and enjoyable as well as stopping feelings from being hurt. That’s BIG in my book. In elementary school it was called, “Plays Well With Others.” ;-)

Civility is based on the greatest commandments, which according to Jesus are: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." And how do we love others? First Corinthians 13 is the true lesson in civility!

2) I value good friends… And to have a good friend, you must first be one. These two ladies know how to do that to perfection. They're as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside (and no, the picture is not of me, LOL!)...



I try to treat my friends the way I would like to be treated. And I think you should treat your spouse as well as you treat your friends! Mr. Magpie, I hope I do this for you! :-)



3) I value my freedom to worship God as I choose. I’m thankful I can go to the church of my choice and read the religious materials of my choice. And I'm very thankful that I have the freedom to glorify and enjoy the Lord publicly as well as in private. :-)



4) I value people who work to protect children, frail seniors, and animals… in other words, those who can’t always protect themselves. These two cuties were being re-homed through a rescue website after the death of their owner. Adorable babies that they are!



5) I value historic preservation… it’s critically important to protect our architectural treasures and heritage. We have to know from whence we came to even begin to know where we’re going! The photograph is of the historic Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine which is currently being restored to its former glory.



6) I value a sense of humor and the ability to find joy in life. Life can be so hard at times, and being able to laugh, particularly at yourself, is critical! I enjoy laughing, and I think it’s good medicine (as the Bible says). This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it! The cover of this Christmas song book published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art speaks directly to this point. Just look how jolly they are and how much they are enjoying themselves! He obviously got the message: Dance like no one is watching! ;-)



In terms of six things I don’t value, allow me to say the following...

1) I value warm, friendly people and have a hard time dealing with snooty-patootiness...



As the Proverb says,"There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness that pours out lies, and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers." Proverbs 6:16-19 I guess I could stop with God's list, but I have some to add, too! ;-)

2) I value an attitude of gratitude, and I have a difficult time valuing ingratitude. Ingratitude is the first cousin to entitlement, and entitlement is the first cousin to selfishness. Because of this, Scrooge was a mighty lonely man!



2) I value a climb toward God...



And have little tolerance for social climbing...

3) I don’t value tailgating as in following too closely behind a car as opposed to what you do at a football game which is fun! It makes me furious when another car is buried five feet up my bumper. Cars are serious business, and it upsets me when people drive with reckless abandon. Annie, do YOU hear that??? ;-)



4) I have a low tolerance for whining, but even more so for complaining (talk about a dripping faucet!)...



My parents had a hard time with whining, and once after my whining about “please can we stay another day, please, please!” all the way from Sarasota to Pensacola, my father finally turned to me and proclaimed, “If you don’t stop that whining, I’m going to put you out of this car, and you can just live down here with all of these alligators!” As you can tell, I’m still down here with the gators, but hopefully not whining anymore! ;-)



5) I have a hard time when I'm at the movies, and someone near me is either talking to the person next to her, calling out the plot before it happens, talking on a cell phone, or the worst... kicking my chair! It's important to keep one's feet on the FLOOR where they belong, one's hands off the cell phone, and one's lips zipped! LOL!



"Look, Mom, no cell phones!" And if a couple of monkeys can do it, we can, too! ;-)

6) I have very little patience for rudeness from a store clerk. I worked in retail during college and graduate school and in economic development as an adult, and we were taught that the customer is always right. The worst form of PR a business of any kind can have is to hire someone who can't handle customers. It's like anti-PR. It's the kiss of death to any business, and usually when I tell Mr. Magpie a business is going to sink due to their poor public relations, the business is gone in less than six months. Trust me, if they're doing it to you or to me, they are doing it to other people as well! COURTESY RULES! If you're courteous, Annie and I are happy to return for shiny objects! :-)



Now, it's my turn to tag. Here are the rules:

Six Things You Value
Six Things You Don't
Tag Six Other Bloggers
Link Back to the Blog who Tagged you!

I drew six names at random, and if they had been tagged before, they got a pass from me which means I drew again. Gotta spread the blog love around! :-)

Okay, here goes...

Jeanne (Backdoor Neighbor)
Daphine (Just Stuff)
Linnea (Neabear and B'Daddy's Nest)
Jen (The Laundry is Never Finished)
Rhonda (Scutterblu's Whimsy)
Bo (Winks and Blinks from Brown Eyes)

Can't wait to see what you ladies value!

Quintessentially,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

21 comments:

RedLan said...

great artworks!

Andi said...

My dear Sheila, you did a marvelous post with your tag. We do have so many of the same values in common. Love your Southern pillow and the little monkeys are adorable. Whereever did you get those monkeys?

Seeing the photo of the Bridge of Lions made me want to head to St Augustine. How I love that place and the lighthouse.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs, Andi

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Good Morning, Redlan and Andi! Hope you're both doing well!

Redlan, welcome! I do believe this is your first post on here, and I appreciate you dropping by to visit! So glad you liked the artwork. :-)

Andi, I enjoyed doing your tag, and I was shaking my head going "Yes! Yes!" when I read yours! I think I got at least one of those monkeys from eBay. I thought they were a stitch! But I like monkeys. St. Augustine is beautiful right now with Nights of Lights all over downtown. It's probably my favorite city in all of Florida. :-)

Wishing you both a great weekend!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Neabear said...

Thanks for the tag. This is one I have never done. I will need to do a post where I catch up on the tags and awards. I am way behind on that part.

SmilingSally said...

I see myself reflected in your answers; we think a great deal alike.

Bo said...

Good morning Sheila...I enjoyed reading your wonderful post! OK, I'll do this post again because it's been a while since I've done it and even I have forgotten my answers...LOL...so I'll try to get this done over the next few days, but I warn you now my post won't hold a candle to yours!
Happy New Year, ;-) Bo

bj said...

OOOO, I loved this post....loved reading all about you, too.
NOW...I have GOT to have a Southern Pillow....may I take this picture to MY blog and ask ANYONE OUT THERE if they can make a pillow like this..?....or...do you happen to know where your sweet friend bought it??
love, bj

Anonymous said...

Sheila, I will take your challenge and
do the meme in the next few days. I really enjoyed your meme and the lovely way you write your text. The meaning behind your words is very clear and gives everyone an insight to your private side of your thoughts.
I loved getting to know you better. Your photos to make your point were perfect and fun to see.

Have a great weekend my friend.

Hugs...Jeanne

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi there -- Lineea, Sally, Bo, BJ, and Jeanne! Thanks for coming by to visit! :-)

Linnea -- I'm glad this is a newbie for you! :-) Can't wait to see your answers!

Sally -- Two great Floridian minds and all that! ;-) Hugs!

Bo -- Your answers will whip mine into the pavement! Your posts are always great! :-) Can't wait!


BJ -- I'm checking on this for you with my friend and will get back to you on it. Not sure what the copyright is on it (I don't see a copyright tag), but I'll try and find out, okay? You need one! They're fun to have! :-)

Jeanne -- Thanks for your sweet comments. I'm so glad you are accepting the MeMe challenge! I look forward to hearing your answers! :-)

Thanks so much to each of you!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Sheila, I love that cute pillow also !

bj said...

What a sweetie you are! Many thanks...I could never, in a million years, make a pillow so cute. No sir...I don't sew a lick.
But, if Margaret does remember where she got it, that would be great. I just think it is a very cute pillow...with so much talent in blogland, someone out there could make it, i'm sure...
thanks again...
xo bj

The Muse said...

Ms QM :) You always, warm my heart, stir my spirit, and give me cause to smile...! Goodness I loved this post!!! And it is a prime example of what wonderful fun and joy we can find in life!
Honestly~you are simply a Quintessential Gem!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sheila..I enjoyed reading your post. You find out so much about a person through one of these tags! You are definitely a person who is headed in the right direction and has been for some time, it would seem. But...not like sweet tea? That's tatamount to mutiny here in the South! (Looking around anxiously, she says..Shhh! I've got a secret...I sweeten with Splenda!) Happy New Year!...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful list, Sheila! I love the words and the images are great too!

akawest said...

I try to forgive people who are not nice to me. Happy people are kind. My mom always told me that and it seems true.

I feel bad for meanies. I tend to go for the "kill em with kindness" approach. Sometimes, you can make people smile.

That doesn't help me when kids tease my daughter. Yes, these children aren't happy, but geez, when they take it out on my child, it makes me so upset.

Sorry for the digression. I enjoyed reading your post.

Neabear said...

Thanks for visiting me again. And I was able to solve my problem with my blog. Looked into the Blogger Help forum and found someone else who had the same problem. Clicked on her entry and someone answered in a way I was able to figure out what to do. I am so happy my blog is behaving itself now.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Good Evening, Ladies! :-)

Theresa -- I'm so glad you liked it! :-)

BJ -- It is my pleasure to help, and I'm still trying to get Margaret about it... she's been under the weather. I will let you know if I find out, though! :-)

Muse -- You were SO missed! I return the compliment a hundred times over! AND you won an award two posts down! :-)

Debbie -- LOL, I won't tell about the Splenda! My SIL uses that, too! :-)

Pat -- Thank you, sweet friend! :-)

Linnea -- So glad you got it all worked out! :-)

Thanks for dropping in today! Loved "seeing" all of you and visiting your blogs! :-)

XO,

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lisa! I know you were there! I didn't mean to skip. As a matter of fact, I do this every time when I have something important to say to someone. Anyhow, I know what you mean about meanies. I can handle them when it comes to me, but when they go after someone I love, I become like a Mama Lion. I hate that someone would be mean to your precious girl. Grrrrr! That's when it really gets hard to turn that other cheek.

XO,

Sheila

Beth at Aunties said...

I enjoyed this post very much. I, like the others, can so relate to what you shared and find we have so much in common in our view of what is important in our lives.
You my sweet friend have a real talent and the vernacular to share your thoughts in ways I could only hope to. It simply read like poetry to my soul:)
Thanks for warming my heart this evening!
I loved your pillows.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beth, you are so very welcome! And thank you for your sweet comments. You, my friend, are an angel, and don't under-rate yourself. You touch many hearts including mine! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Poppy said...

Dear Sheila,

You are such a sweet southern gal with so much soul that you, alone, could wipe out a football field of rude, ungrateful people all at once!

Love your list and although I am 6 years late to this post, I appreciate its permanence of truth.

Have a lovely day, dear friend!

xoxo
Poppy