And if you look at this next shot, you'll see the towers replicated when Publix opened its 1000th store. This historic store just so happens to be located in historic St. Augustine....
You can see the towers better in this next shot...
And in this shot. One of the neatest things Publix did, among many, was to build this huge display of the Bridge of Lions...
They also spelled out 1000 in apples and oranges, and I thought this was very creative...
They even had a replica of the sea wall that is executed in cinder block as seen above and resembles the roughness of the original sea wall's coquina block as seen in this shot taken from the water...
And they placed a replica lion on either end, complete with one paw on a ball...
To resemble the original lions who are placed there in honor of Florida's founder, Juan Ponce de Leon, with leon referring to the word "lion"...
Here's another shot of a boat preparing to hoist sail and go under the Bridge of Lions which just so happens to be a drawbridge...

And here is Publix's version of the same (with sail hoisted). Notice the blue waves of the water in the bay...
On the top of the bridge is Mr. George Jenkins, the founder of Publix and a great philanthropist. His commitment to excellence involving his customers, his products, his employees, and the communities that Publix serves is still felt today, and I'm sure he is smiling down from Heaven on his 1000th store opening. Congratulations, Mr. George, on this fine accomplishment. The Ancient City is proud to be the home to the historic 1000th Publix store, and we hope to be home to the 2000th store as well! Shopping at Publix is such a pleasure! :-)

That's my Outdoor Wednesday offering (that brought us indoors as well), and I thank you for visiting me here today. Please join our lovely hostess Susan and a host of other people who have wonderful posts to share with you today by going here. I can't wait to see what everyone has to offer, and everyone includes YOU! :-)

Here's wishing you smooth sailing throughout the rest of the week...
Quintessentially,
Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)




65 comments:
How neat that they did all of that for the 1000th store - it had to take so much work. I wasn't even aware of Publix stores until we moved 5 years ago, now it's the only place I shop. :) Thanks for sharing it all, Ms. Sheila~ have a great Wednesday!{{{hugs}}}
Ah ha I'm the first to tell you how magnificent your grocery store is. Not to mention your beautiful bridge and location.
I wonder if anyone would just pluck one orange from the bottom?? Just kidding.
It was so nice to see your comments as usual Mrs. Magpie.
Love You
Claudie
xo
Ah ha I'm the first to tell you how magnificent your grocery store is. Not to mention your beautiful bridge and location.
I wonder if anyone would just pluck one orange from the bottom?? Just kidding.
It was so nice to see your comments as usual Mrs. Magpie.
Love You
Claudie
xo
Oh boy look at me. For some strange reason it published twice and I'm second now. " (
Night night
Claudie
xo
Happy Outdoor Wednesday Sheila
Love the pictures of the Bridge of Lions in St Augustine... I think I have been over it a few times (I hope they save the towers) And how clever to "write" 1000 in the fruit!
Thanks for sharing your photos.
Susan
Hello Shelia,
This is great that Publix would do this, I have shopped in Publix, but it was in Georgia, and I throughly enjoyed it. We don't have one nearby me I certainly wished they did though!!! They were so clean and neat.
That bridge is unbelievable, I hope they will be able to restore it back to its originality.
Blessings,
Sue
Boy, you make me want to visit this part of the world. It seems so full of wonderful things to see. Just beautiful!!
Those are awesome pics! I have St. Augustine on my list of must visit cities. Cindy
Wow... That is some store! Its nice they do that in this economy!
Awesome pix!
*Really Rainey
Wow! I didn't know Publix could be so creative!...Christine
The pictures are beautiful Sheila! I actually think the fruit is my favorite part :) *hugs*
Hi Sheila...I remember studying about Ponce de Leon in school...
yeah, amazing I can remember that far back...I didn't know Leon referred to lions...anyway, that bridge is beautiful! The Publix 1000th is really a grannd affair & it looks like they put a lot of thought into it. ;-) Bo
Wow Sheila...That's pretty amazing!! All my Publix does is build giant super bowls out of cases of beer and fill it with nacho chips!! lol Happy Wednesday...Debbie
Publix 1000th store really went all out to duplicate the bridge. Your post was so interesting. Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Joyce
Quite amazing display. Enjoyed the little history lesson.
Thanks, Candy
Hi Shelia, The pictures of the Bridge are magnificent. We do not have Publix stores where I live in Texas, but it looks like a great store. Have a wonderful Wednesday and come and visit me.
That's neat! I've read about Publix often on the shopping boards I frequent; I wish we had them here. Ponce de Leon brings back fond memories of my trip to St Augustine in gr. 2 - we visited his "fountain of youth"!
Susan
Publix will be delighted with your post Sheila :) The apples & oranges display is neat & colorful. Happy OW!
Sheila~
Until I read your post, I had completely forgotten to do the Mr. Linky thing on Susan's blog...glad you sparked that reminder for me!
What pretty pictures you shared! We visited St. Augustine quite a few years ago when the girls were little and we had the most amazing time! Of course, a "cold snap" blew through, so we about froze to death on the beach...and we didn't pack any jackets! Brrr! I would definitely love to go back for another visit...you've left my heart longing!
Happy Wednesday, sweet friend!♥
Wow..neat pictures....never heard of Publix!
-sandy toe
Hi Sheila,
I love this! One more place on my list to visit this summer with my kiddos. We have quite the list going let me tell you! I love the beautiful bridge - I have a thing for bridges - I am afraid of heights and can't walk out on them, but I love to look at them from a distance :-)
Publix really went above and beyond with their display. I would hate to be the one who needed an apple and had to destroy the beautiful work done.
Blessings on your day today,
Kymber
What an incredibly beautiful bridge, Sheila ... and the Publix store is amazing.
It's wonderful that they would go to all that trouble, not to mention expense, to commemorate opening their 1000th store.
Thank you for sharing it all with us.
Sincerely,
Janie
What a beautiful bridge! So European.
And, wow...Publix really gets into things, huh?! I'm lucky if my grocery store *has* decent oranges, much less makes them into an art installation. Very creative Outdoor Wednesday, Ms. Magpie! :-)
Happy Wednesday...This is one hump I'm happy to be over; we're heading to Colorado tomorrow for a few days as our "birthday presents" to one another. Whoo hoo! And thank you for "singing" happy birthday to me on my blog, hahaha! :-)
xo, Laura
That is creative! What patience to spell out words in fruit!
Man, I need to get out more! (Everyone's pictures are so so beautiful!) Great and awesome pictures!
Hello, just me, Carolyn
Oooooh, I think this would be the Publix where I would shop, if everything falls into place with our move. I mean WHEN. I think it would be the one. So, now I am sitting here all excited.
This Publix is appears to be near my dream neighborhood. Oh, yeah! I am sort of geographically challenged, but if this is at the Shoppes at Murabella, I believe I could be shopping for peanut butter and rice cakes in that very store.
Thanks, so much for making my morning fun. Okay, I will calm down now and go wash clothes.
I love Publix; it's my grocery store.
Great post Sheila. Beautiful photo of the bridge. I love Publix.
Great photo's !
Great job Shelia and Publix.
I can't tell you how odd it is that somebody else knows Publix. Pretty neat 100th store. Great pictures too.
Sheila, I am just LOL at the fruit display at Publix. I could just see my pulling some out and ruining the whole display! What neat pics you shared today.
You are very correct about the Japanese Magnolia but you'll never find a true Southerner calling them anything but tulip trees. There's no place quite like LA.
JudyBug
very FUN comparison, great shots, what a hoot!
Sheila this is a really magnificent scene!
The water and the bridge and beautiful.
Sigh...I miss Publix being from Florida.
~Melissa ;)
Thanks for posting these lovely bridge photos, and the display at Publix. I just have one question: Why is the St. Augustine Publix selling California oranges? LOL
All the best, Lana
I love a company that is thoughtful like that. What beautiful photos!
OH Ms. Pie...this was a wonderful post and story..love that food store..I hear about them all the time but we don't have them here..well maybe in Souuthern Ca. they do as they get everything because us..you know the Sout have more money that us Northern gals do ha ha!! but I did enjoy this today...thanks..have a great day Pie, Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria
Wow, Sheila, the bridge is sooo impressive. Publix, my favorite store of all time, does not have stores here in NC. I miss shopping at Publix more than anything. Your post is great showing all the detail that was given to reconstruct the bridge. Beautiful and so like Publix to put everything into the celebration. I love your post today.
Love you too and I have only one thing to say. Come visit and stay in the cabin. It would be our pleasure. All you need is clothes and food. Be sure to think ahead, it is a busy place.
Hugs to you..Jenne
What an artful display of beautiful produce from the sunny state. I enjoyed seeing the Bridge of Lions in St Augustine again and a wonderful tribute to design the store around the history of the area.
I have never visited a Publix store. I wonder if they have them in VA. We will be visiting again in May for a sons graduation. Then our son can finally live with his sweet bride:-)
The stores sound like a wonderful place to shop!
Hugs sweet lady,
and some ♥♥♥'s too!
What an architecturally interesting drawbridge, Sheila! It looks so Europian. I love the name "Bridge of Lions," and Publix did a wonderful job of making a model of it for their 1,000th sore!
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs, Pat
That is remarkable! I love it all and thanks for the lesson! You have to love learning something. Thanks for the great post
How very interesting. Our grocery stores here are kind of ordinary! I'm assuming Publix is a grocery store?
Have a great Outdoor day if you can!
Kathy b
l do like your blog, lots of diverse postings...and wish you had added a follow gadget then l cold follow you easily!!
Hi, Everyone... thanks for dropping by to visit. I've been reading and chuckling over comments. I've also enjoyed visiting each of you. :-)
I had a few questions that I feel I should answer...
Saz, you can add me. Just go to your dashboard and click on that followers thing where it says add. I just added you. :-)
And Kathy, Publix is a grocery store, and it is THE grocery store in Florida. :-) Publix is to grocery store what Kleenex is to tissue. It's an amazing chain... clean, courteous, well stocked. Floridians are very, very spoiled, and it has moved into South Carolina and Georgia, too. Maybe some other states that I don't know about, but it's a Florida-based chain. The family who own it are wonderful people.
Lana, I think that this isn't our growing season for oranges with the exception of something like Valencias. Our season was pre-Christmas. :-)
Glad ya'll enjoyed a Tale of Two Bridges. ;-)
XO,
Sheila :-)
Oh, and I kept fearing that I would accidentally knock the display over and have oranges and apples rolling all over creation! :-)
Shelia you always have the most interesting posts. I just loved the pictures of the bridge. It looks so old, quaint, and beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
I have never been in a Publix store. It looks like a wonderful place to shop. I like how they replicated the bridge. I don't know how they were able to write 1000 with the fruit. It looks like it would be hard to do.
Just had to come by to say thanks for the birthday wishes! I've never been there, but so need to come for a visit. I lived in SC 1 year, and Publix is one of the things I miss most! They are one of a kind! It's really cool that they replicated the bridge! Have a good week!
Forgot to answer your ? - I'm 43.
Oh how I wish I had gotten more pics of St Augustine when we were there. Have you ever taken the ghost tours? I didn't do that either so I guess I must get back. ;o)
Beautiful photos. Clever idea. I really like bridges. That is such an interesting one.
Charlotte
Hi Sheila
Wow...that is a lot of stores. How proud he would be... I've been to Publix and its a great store for sure. When Marc lived in Florida and attended College he worked at Publix in Jacksonville.
I can't imagine all the building he inspired. I'm thinking like Claudie about plucking some of that beautiful fruit..of course I'm kidding too.
Thank you for sharing wonderful pictures...
come by I'm having a giveaway.
Judi
Sheila,
The Publix has beautiful display especially the apples and oranges....I need to take a visit ther...Mmmmmm! Looks delicious! Have a wonderful day...Katherinellen
Great post - I love that bridge, hopefully they can successfully restore it! And what a neat thing that Publix did. We don't have them here (boy I wish we did), but we always stop there in Florida on vacation to stock up. Thanks for sharing this. Kathy
wow!
a great experience i think you had. beautiful pictures. i love them ....
Sheila,
It looks like I am just about the last one to get here! I just can't seem to catch up on anything lately...
Love the OW post, this must have taken some time but well worth it, you would have made Mr. Jenkins proud! I love the history you have given us on St. Augustine~I would love to visit someday. And I did go to the Publix in Naples and it was very, very nice. My main store here is Dominicks~it has a Starbucks cafe in it. I can get a coffee & biscotti and do my shopping, sort of a damage control thing... but the Mom & Pop grocery stores are the best~everybody knows everybody.
Well I hope to do a post soon, looks like we may get snowed in again so if I can snatch my laptop away from Abby maybe I will tomorrow!!
Happy OW. Loved it!!! :-)
xoxo
Janie
WOW! I love all of the pictures of St. Augustine. And I really miss having a Publix on the next block. They don't have Publix in NC. I have to drive 45 minutes to SC to get to one - which I do once a month - lol.
Hugs,
Penny
Hi, and thanks for leaving your comment at Thoughtfully Blended Hearts. Your sunny pictures sure look good to me. You don't know how many times I've longed for some of that wonderful sunshine lately. The midsouth is recovering, almost all of us have power now but we're looking at so much clean-up it is almost unbelievable.
Becky
Thanks, Ladies! I appreciate all of your sweet comments. Publix really is a great store. We're blessed to have them here. :-)
XO,
Sheila... who wonders how they got that fruit to stay there that way.... hmmmm...
Becky, I'm sorry to hear that. Ice storms are just so fierce! Hope things are better soon...
XO,
Sheila :-)
Thank you so much for visiting my blog...and leaving such nice comments. You live in one of my favorite places to visit. We've been there twice on vacation. I hope you one day get to visit Ponce De Leon Springs State Park in the Northwest Florida Panhandle. It's right off of I-10. It's about 4 hours from you. This is a beautiful post of the Bridge of Lions...I love St. Augustine, it's so rich in history and charming too! We saw the place where Ponce De Leon put the cross made from rocks into the ground, and we tasted water from the spring there...yes, we did....being the tourists that we were.... we didn't know any better, and boy did it taste like sulfer...fun memory! LOL!I do hope to return to St. Augustine again in the future...
Well, it's nice to meet you...
Have a great night...
Queenie~
I loved meeting you, too, Queenie! Email if you get to St. Augustine! Would love to meet you!
XO,
Sheila :-)
Now that's a hysteric occasion. (Hey, you started it!)
LOVE that bridge! I could use some of those oranges!
I enjoyed this post! Lots of interesting information I never knew about. Fun to read and learn.
Thanks, ladies! And Mojo, you are BAD! ;-)
Love to you,
Sheila :-)
Post a Comment