Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday Solace: The Lord, Our Strong Tower And Hiding Place...


Proverbs 18:10

The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and are safe.


Psalm 32:7

Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble;
thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.



The other night, I was at a friend's house for dinner, and I decided I needed a picture of her cute little dog. The dog was camera shy and being a bit fearful of the unknown (or of exactly what I had in mind), he ran to his hiding place near his master's feet. I was immediately struck by the idea that God is our hiding place. He is our shelter, our strong tower where we can run to be safe. Like this little fur friend, there are times when I have wanted to run to the shelter of the Lord and for Him to protect me from the storms that raged around me. And being a good Father, He always has, and His Word promises that He always will. What wonderful comfort and cause for rejoicing!

There is scripture verse after scripture verse addressing the fact that He is all of those things to us, but these two verses in Proverbs and Psalms say it most succinctly. I'm so grateful to Him for not only His protection, but His Holy Word. So thank you, Father, for always being true, for being such a wonderful Father, and for the promises contained in your Word. :-)

I'd like to leave you with this song, something that the picture also brought immediately to mind:

Hiding Place

You are my hiding place,


You always fill my heart,


With songs of deliverance,


Whenever I am afraid,


I will trust in You,


I will trust in You,


Let the weak say,


"I am strong in the strength of the Lord."

by Michael Ledner


May the Lord bless you, guide and direct you, and keep you safe from all harm. We are, indeed, strong in His strength! :-)

Warmly,

Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

26 comments:

BECKY said...

Sheila, I love this song...thank you so much for reminding me of it. It was on one of my first praise tapes that got botched up, but I sung it all the time!! Now I will again!

Adorable analogy, too!!
With things like they are in our world, isn't it wonderful to know that He is our refuge...our shelter from it all?

Joyful blessings,
Becky

SmilingSally said...

Good message for those of us who need extra comfort. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

These scripture do make me feel safe.Just know God and that he is a faithful God makes me feel safe. Your song is so pretty, and the poem as well. Thank-you so much for sharing this today.
Blessings,
Ginger

Barbara said...

Shelia, Thanks for the poem. I needed a pick-up and that was just the rigth thing. The little dog is precious. I am back, and you are right I have worked hard: cleaning out "stuff" and I have a sick little goat. I hope I can save him, he is darling.

Dixie said...

Sheila... I love this post. It's wonderful how you've linked a simple real life thing to the Lord... and it is so very true. I hope you don't mind if I feature this post on my "So God" blog. Thank you for this special blessing on Spiritual Sunday... hugs and blessings to you... Dixie

Judi said...

Sheila
This is a very comforting post...thank you.
I hope you have a very lovely day today....
*hugs*
Judi

Musings of A Minister said...

Good words. I love this song. I am comforted when I think about what a great God we have and the security that is to be found in Him. Thanks for posting.

Julie said...

Here lately I have been running to that Hiding Place...I am so thankful that god is my comforter in those overwhelming times! Thanks for such a great post! Have a restful Sunday!!!Julie

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, Mrs. Magpie -- I love the dog photo. Precious! Lovely tie-in to your Sunday post.

I lovveeee the photo you have in your blog header! Looks like those Pink Saturday flowers got put to good use. :-) And thanks for your sweet (and hysterical...you so did *not* sound like a fussy maiden aunt, LOL!!) comments about my new-old bucket. Seems the comments are split on what to do with it...I'm thinking I'll set up a little photo shoot next weekend with it as-is to see it in a "bigger picture." I actually enjoy polishing silver (I find it very therapeutic or something :-) so I'm not sure why I'm finding myself on the fence with this piece. I also picked up some extra little things this weekend -- including a set of four silver knives that I will polish for sure (for $4. Whoo hoo!!) that will work there way into the post for sure. I feel...so fancy! :-)

I hope you're having a lovely Sunday. I'm wondering...Where did the weekend go?!

Big hugs from the shore house,
- Laura

Charlotte said...

What a cute illustration of a hiding place. I love that song. I'm so thankful for my hiding place in the Lord. Thank you for sharing this.
Charlotte

Blondie's Journal said...

Sheila,

Beautiful scripture. I can see how that little pup inspired you to do your post. Beautiful Sunday music as always... :-)

Glad you are back! Will you be busy again this week?

xoxo
Jane

Beth at Aunties said...

I loved the words to the song and find solace and strength in the verses.
Oh, how I love the Lord and I am so glad He is my refuge from this live's storms. I can't make it without Him!

He is an adorable puppy/dog!

♥♥♥
Beth

Anonymous said...

Such a nice Sunday Solace post and a cute photo :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Sheila, your post today is so absolutely true. Our hiding places can change, but we only need to let our Father protect us and hiding without Him just doesn't work. A great post today.

I love the analogy with the adorable dog. The song is right on.

Hugs and love...Jeanne

david mcmahon said...

A wonderful reminder that there is shelter to be found everywhere, Sheila.

Andi said...

What an absolutely wonderful post dear Sheila and so very true. We must trust His constant care.

The photo of the little dog turned out so cute.

Hugs, Andi

Anonymous said...

Sheila, I so enjoyed this post. What a comfort it is to know we are constantly in His protection.

Anonymous said...

Hiding Place - Comfort zone-- Thank You for Sharing as our Pastor keeps saying we need to get out of our comfort zones -- well I happen to need my Hiding Place of Comfort and I am not alone from what I see.
Karyl(Carol)

the wild raspberry said...

what a wonderful analogy sheila.
chas

Wendy said...

Thankr the beautiful message. That is one of my favorite songs...I especially like the version by SELAH.
blessings,
Wendy

♥ Kathy said...

What a beautiful message Sheila ♥ I hope you had a nice Sunday :) and the puppy IS cute!

Melly said...

Hi! My name is Melly it's lovely to meet you :)

Thank you for your post It blessed me, I needed to be reminded that He is my safe place.

Take care!
Melly:)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments! I've read every one, and I pray that the Lord blesses each of you this week and always...

XO,

Sheila :-)

And Dixie... I'd be honored if you used this in your "So God" blog.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Beautiful verse and song Sheila! Comforting for such stressful times as these.
Hugs, Pat

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Pat!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Ms. Tee said...

Sheila, that is one of my favorite songs. What a sweet post - thank you for sharing it. :) I hope you had a very restful weekend! hugs