Best of The Magpie Nest: Some of Your Favorites

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tablescape Thursday: An Early Spring Fling

Today is Tablescape Thursday at Susan's blog, Between Naps on The Porch. It's a day when a group of bloggers who love china and other tabletop goodies get together and share their tablescapes, and Susan graciously hosts the event. For today's post, I decided to play with some things I had on hand and to take you along for the ride if you'd care to join me.



My inspiration for today comes from these flowers that were part of a larger tablescape my friend Peggy had at a bridal tea for our close friend's daughter...



With those flowers, I started thinking child's tea party with Cecelia and Addie as guests. Since I'm not serving tea, I'm going to call it a Spring Fling. On Pink Saturday, I showed the above nosegay and another, but this one suited my snack set better. Here's the cake plate in Haviland's Winterthur pattern...



And here's the cake plate with a nosegay...



Little nosegays like this just beg for you to play with them. They enjoy perching on top of little snack plates, too...



I'm a huge lover of ribbons, and Linda of Petals Florist had a profusion of pink ribbons in these nosegays that were used with some galax swags surrounding the serving tables...



Now, let's add the mugs for some hot chocolate. [Don't know about you, but I'm addicted!] I would serve pink lemonade in the summertime...



I think the thing I like best about this pattern is the fact that the roses remind me of Old Paris Porcelain or Vieux Paris as it's also known. Here is a large compote or footed basket in the antique version. I inherited this from my parents...



But that's another story for another day. So now we have our cups...



Added to our snack plates...



And the nosegays painted on each are smiling at us...



Let's take a look at what we have so far...



Not bad, but we're missing our linen napkins. Let's call in the experts to help...



Ladies, which do you prefer... the pattern with the little basket...



Or the one with the little flowers...



Okay, mix them and let the guests choose? That work's for me...



Let's take a look at the final result...



Looks lovely, ladies, but wait a minute... there's something different... you changed the centerpiece!



Oh, I see... Debbie (Ms. Plate Addict) says it's a kitty's prerogative to change her mind...



Well, if that's the case, then allow me to go get the snacks for our Spring Fling. Oh, and if you pass me your cup, Perle Mesta, I'll be sure to add some extra whipped cream on top of that hot chocolate just for YOU. ;-)



That's it for my Thursday tablescape. Thank you so much for visiting me here at my blog, and I look forward to visiting you as well! There are a host of other people at Susan's blog who have beautiful tablescapes to share with you, so I hope you'll join me there by clicking here. You'll be so happy you did!

Happy Tablescape Thursday! :-)

Quintessentially,


Mrs. Magpie (Sheila)

73 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

Sheila,
This is so dainty and beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

Katy said...

Sheila... You certainly had fun with this table! Beautiful china, love the theme and the bits of whimsy you added with the furry friends. Everything is just divine... flowers are so inspiring and I do so love the nosegays and arrangements you display! Thanks for sharing... ~Katy (Plucky)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh this is so sweet. I love the nosegays and that kitty is so cute!

Petunia said...

I love all the cupcakes here...and of course I LOVE the kitty center piece. She's quite the little hostess! Your plates are lovely.

♥ Kathy said...

That's so cute Sheila ♥ I really like the cups. So pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Sweetness! Yup, that's the word. This is uber nice. A Spring Fling!

:-)Oh I remember those flowers on your tea party :-) Your napkins looks so delicate. I'm afraid to touch :-)

I'm just dropping by enjoying your post,no new post for yet. We'll probably see you on PS :-)

Monica said...

Hi Sheila!
I was sooo glad you left such lovely words on my little pages... Thank you!
Edinburgh is amazing during Springtime, bacause of clear skies and that extraordinary amount of daffodils in bloom!! You should have to go...:)
This tablescape is elegant and beautiful. Love the centerpiece! Thanks for sharing beauty!
Monica.

Anonymous said...

I like your tableware patterns. They are very beautiful. Stacey made a nosegay last year. They do smell ever so good. You have a great eye for beauty.

April said...

Might I come over for a crumpet and a little spot of tea sometime (using my best British accent!)? :)

I love the dainty flowers on your china pieces combined with the delicate arrangements. So pretty, Sheila! You've outdone yourself, once again!

Jewel Sauls said...

Just beautiful. I love that china pattern, so delicate and feminine - perfect for a Spring Fling! :D Jewel

Shell in your Pocket said...

Very pretty...look at that cat with the fur coat...wow!
sandy toe

SmilingSally said...

I'll use the basket napkin, please.

jerseygirl211 said...

My granddaughters would love having a tea party at this table, it's adorable. Thank you for sharing.

'D'

Missy Wertz said...

Sheila, your tablescape is lovely. The nosegay is beautiful and I love the dishes.

You asked about the paint on the silver plate wire basket... I used the spray paint that you buy at lowes or walmart or home Depot. One coat of primer and one or two coats of blue. I am not sure if it is food safe. I looks good with white pumpkins from the $$ store. If you put orange pumpkins in it, people think you are an auburn fan.

I have another, I may paint it as well.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Sheila!! You know I love this post! What a beautiful job the ladies did! The little china is gorgeos and the napkins are so dainty! You leave me wanting more tablescapes from your wonderful china collection. My staff sends their regards to your helpers. Have a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Sheila, that is just beautiful! I love the flowers and everything you did. I also like both napkins and am glad you decided to mix them. Why not?! Linda

Anonymous said...

Sheila, your tablescape is original and adorable. Only you would think up such a totally and clever presentation such as this. I adore the ladies in their fur coats and the flowers too. The dishes are so sweet.

I think I know why you can't sleep. Your brain keeps you busy thinking about all the wonderful posts you write. Big smile. One word PM meds.

Love you. Jeanne

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love the bouquets on the cups! What a wonderful table setting.

the wild raspberry said...

You are tremendously fun! I love that you still play with your stuffed animals :)
chasity

Candy said...

Cute story I quite enjoyed it all.
Love that compote.
Blessings, Candy

Gone said...

What an adorable Tablescape!! I love the dishes...the story and the linen napkins!! I don't know which of those 2 I'd pick...maybe one of each!! LOL!!!

I especially LOVE the kitty, since my nickname is KITTIE!!! (real cats, not so much)

;-)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love your tea party! Can I come too?

Kathleen Ellis said...

What a darling table, Sheila! Love your centerpiece! I love those napkins, too...I'm partial to the flower basket pattern!
Have a fabulous day!
;-D

Teacup Mosaics said...

You and your experts have done an excellent job, and I will take that extra whipped cream.
Kelley

Rue said...

Good morning Sheila :)

Those dishes are absolutely precious! What a darling tablescape :)

Funny... I wanted to name Annie Acacia, because since I was named Heather (a bush) I thought it would be cute to name Annie after something similar, but it was turned down by the whole family... thank goodness! LOL

love,
rue

PS You won my giveaway!! Email me!!

supplies overflowing! said...

So pretty, Sheila! So feminine- just right for a tea party, or hot chocolate, or lemonade!
jenny

Jane O' said...

Your tablescape is fabulous. Each picture had me holding my breath to see what was coming.
Thanks for introducing me to Tablescape Thursday.

Darlene said...

I LOVE your tablescape. You always do the sweetest ones...also Miss Kitty is just gorgeous.

I also looked down at your pillow post and your pillows are wonderful. They are all so charming.

Wendy said...

Your tablescape is so very sweet and charming. I love the delicate white napkins! The nosegays remind me of a more refinded time--lovely!
Blessings,
Wendy

Kathleen said...

That is so pretty. Love all your sweet treasures, and the nose gay is delightful..
Pretty napkins too, so delicate!

Unknown said...

Love the Winterthur pattern and I vote for the napkins with the basket.

Just found your blog and wanted to 'follow' but couldn't find out how! Help???

Bama Belle said...

This was so precious! I adore nosegays! It does just beckon you to come for a tea party!

Anonymous said...

Sheila,this is so pretty! Very sweet! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my dearest Sheilaness! What a lovely setting! Your little dishes are just precious! And that little floral is still so pretty! Look at your two little guests! They're so upiddy looking!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sue said...

Oh how pretty. I love all your darling dishes.
Happy Tablescape Thursday.
Hugs,
Sue

Scribbler said...

You are such a fun lady, and love your posts!

The table is so yummy I could eat it with a spoon!

Scribbler

Lori said...

What a pretty tablescape...

ellen b. said...

Good morning Sheila! I love those dishes and those delicate napkins! What fun the furry friends are too! Blessings on your day!!

Chandy said...

Lovely dishes and the whimsy touches are so darling!

Beth at Aunties said...

Sheila,

My granddaughters would be delighted to be invited to your fun 'Spring Fling' with Cecelia and Addie!

I can almost hear their 6 year old giggles now!:)

The nosegays and pink ribbons are really beautiful.

They would love as I do, the wonderful bits of whimsy you always add!


♥♥♥'s
Beth

Unknown said...

This is so feminine and delicate! I love the nosegays, so perfect for girls (big or little!)

LADY JANE said...

What a purrrr-fect little party...pass the whipped cream please! So glad I stopped by!

Anonymous said...

Sheila,

Thanks for visiting and leaving the kind comment. Your tablescape is simple lovely - love the dishes! They remind me of Royal Crown Derby's Posies.

Anonymous said...

Well Mrs. Magpie your table is just absolutely beautiful ♥ I love the idea of a child's tea party. I like all of the flowers on the plates and cups. Like you I love ribbons. Everything is so delicate and lovely. Thank you for sharing.

Daphine said...

I enjoyed joining you as usual! You sure make things fun to watch and read that is! Beautiful arrangement! Thanks for inviting us along.

Glenda said...

It's my first visit to your blog. Rue sent us over to take a look.

Very nice, I'll be back for more.

CIao

Melissa Miller said...

Oh my Sheila this is so amazingly beautiful.
I was just in awe over your new header photo when I realized it was in your new post.

Everything is just so elegant and beautiful.
Love the sweet dishes and bouquets.
Of course the Miss kitty wearing pearls is my favorite.

~WONDERFUL TT POST!!!
~Melissa ;)

Anonymous said...

So sweet!! Looks like a lovely party. The dishes are beautiful.
XOXO
Jillian

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What a positivley precious and refreshing post! I LOVE that. Everything was so sweet! I loved your tea party!

Leigh,
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

what a dainty tea!

thanks for stopping by my blog--come back soon! - The Mrs.

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

What a happy, spring post this is, so glad I got to see it!!

Nancy said...

Pretty china and gorgeous flowers. thanks for sharing this. I love BOTH napkins!

Anonymous said...

Awww.Isn't this just so sweet and dainty.I adore it...Ann

Helen said...

Everything is perfectly lovely .. but the compote has taken my heart today.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Sheila
I enjoyed seeing all your lovely pretty china and nosegays. My favorite napkin was the basket one because I like the wavy edge.
All your talk about hot chocolate has made me want some. It's 10:30 pm over here so just time for some before bed.
Best Wishes
Lindsay

Judi said...

Sheila
I love your dishes! I have been admiring your header on your blog. The pattern is so pretty and feminine. You certainly have some expert help and that was so fun reading.

Your flowers go so beautifully with the dishes...
thank you for sharing this lovely tablescape.
have a lovely evening.
Judi

A Hint of Home said...

Such pretty dishes. I love the color combo.

Sue said...

Shelia,
What a wonderful tea party you made for us all.. I love that pattern but have never seen it before, and that compote bowl is beautiful and i would love to know the story behind it, I know since it came from your parents that you really treasure it. Thank you for a wonderful post.
Blessings,
Sue

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Beautiful!!! Happy Tablescape Thursday

Susan

Anonymous said...

You sure know how to spin a yarn.... that little Kitty is captivating and such a princess..... love those dishes...
HUgs
Linda

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Good Evening! I just want every one who posted with me today to know how very much I appreciate your sweet comments. Reading them always makes my day and Mr. Magpie's as well. I have also enjoyed visiting your blogs!

Here's hoping each of you have a restful night and a wonderful weekend...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Love those cup and saucers, so cute !!

Femin Susan said...

Very nice, I'll be back for more.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Shelia...you sure know how to make me smile! :-) What a cute and gorgeous post! Can a post be cute, gorgeous and funny all at the same time? I am envious of your two little friends fur coats...they are dressed better than anyone I know! Of course, we know they are faux fur...otherwise they would get the hibbie jeebies wearing real fur...it might be someone they knew. LOL You made me laugh at BJ's talking about saying Happy Tablescape Tuesday...there is NO telling how many times I've done that! LOL So hard to break those old habits...eventually we will get used to Tablescape Thursday. :-)
Thanks for a fun one! Susan

My Days with Daisy said...

How did you think of all that??? Over the top as usual! Love the expert guests...Go to www.twitter.com Pretty self explanatory.. I put it on my blog as a widget. I definitely think a magpie should tweet.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Loved your post. So entertaining. And I love your plates & the nosegays.

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Enjoyed each step of your "Spring Fling." Beautiful flowers and china pieces. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Bo said...

Hi SHeila...what a lovely Spring Fling! Sorry to be so late to attend, but my server was down until late yesterday...grrr! The nosegays are so romantic looking. And the "guests" are dressed to the nines...I feel totally out of place in my robe & flipflops! LOL
Have a marvelous day! ;-) Bo

Dream Mom said...

Oh, how sweet! Love the pink nosegays. Who can resist? And Miss Kitty, she is really pretty.

Mary said...

Oh, how cute! I LOVE that china pattern -- so beautiful and your linens are perfect! What a fun post. :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments! I have read each and every one. I appreciate them all and YOU!

Have a happy weekend...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Marina Capano said...

Hi! nice post!just beautiful!
besos
visit me anytime...

Kathy said...

What a cute post, Sheila. Love those sweet dishes and linens.
xo...Kathy